• 56 results
#51 Posted by Tampler (17 posts) -

@chiablo said:

I wish we could have a seperate "premium only" chat channel. I know this pretty much splits the userbase in half, but when the site redesign was in beta, the premium chat was awesome.

Won't make a bit of difference. The Chat for Brads Demon Souls stream is premium only, and the chat in there is pretty darn toxic.

Fair play to the Mods. Really appreciate the work that you guys do!

#52 Edited by bybeach (4894 posts) -

@mikelemmer said:

@demoskinos said:

@mb said:

@winternet said:

Can I still say that Brad is leaving?

Both the staff and moderators are extremely sick of that, so do it at your own risk. It's an old, stupid meme that ran its course a couple of years ago.

But really, isn't most of the site memes?

It just needs the proper twist to it. "Brad is ascending", perhaps?

I understand the mods etc getting tired or short about things. But sometimes things are not perceived why, and that kind of surprises me. The Brad is Leaving gig has been for a while now, a tongue in cheek protest that a stream is late. Sometimes very late. And hey, it's mean't as a good natured thing, from my perspective anyways. I did it for a while, and dropped it because it is repetitive. And can be overdone. I do like the music someone lists up while the wait goes on. Pretty good often.

Just saying.

#53 Posted by Ben_H (3381 posts) -

@tampler said:

@chiablo said:

I wish we could have a seperate "premium only" chat channel. I know this pretty much splits the userbase in half, but when the site redesign was in beta, the premium chat was awesome.

Won't make a bit of difference. The Chat for Brads Demon Souls stream is premium only, and the chat in there is pretty darn toxic.

Fair play to the Mods. Really appreciate the work that you guys do!

I think it depends on the stream, and what kind of crowd it attracts. Usually things are fine for stuff like Unprofessional Fridays, but when it comes to stuff like Demon Souls some people tend to take it waaaaay too seriously, get into the whole "This person isn't doing this like I did so I am going to criticize them" mindset, and don't realize they're just making themselves look foolish.

#54 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

@bybeach: Unfortunately, even if a joke is intended to be harmless that doesn't necessarily mean it is. One of the problems with the "Brad is Leaving" joke was that it was very spammy and this spam had been going on for a few years. That might not have been a problem on its own, we allow common posts like "<>" or Spelunkin' with Scoops common refrain of "Esports", but we have to draw the line somewhere and time after time people who weren't in on the joke, particularly newcomers to the site who we should welcome into the community, would get legitimately worried or upset over the idea that he actually was leaving. With all this in mind we decided that the meme had run its course and that if it was actually upsetting people it was best to put a stop to it. I still believe we made the right choice.

#55 Edited by bybeach (4894 posts) -

@gamer_152:

Thank you. I still think you all are getting over-tense. Not that I don't understand why.

#56 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5714 posts) -

I think this is just Twitch run-over more or less, the toppest of top men can't solve twitch's edicate issues.

#57 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

@gamer_152: Since my rights were abused and violated by a power-drunken mod (not going to name any names, since it would all be sweep under the rug) (see what I did there) and I was banned from the chat yesterday, how many "Brad is leaving" comments do I get as a compensation? At least forty, right?

#58 Edited by Fattony12000 (7520 posts) -
@ramone said:

...and none of it is archived.

Oh yeah?

#59 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -
#61 Edited by alexrimesis (2 posts) -

Thanks for sharing such useful informations.

#62 Edited by MeAuntieNora (577 posts) -

@gamer_152: This seems like the right approach for spam of that nature, where the messaging can be inherently harmful if someone doesn't immediately "get" it.

I'm also a frequent viewer of the YOGScast, and around a year ago they disabled Youtube comments for a couple months. People were angry and confused that this network of generally friendly and welcoming popular personalities no longer wanted that line of interfacing with their fans. Ultimately, it came out that a very small number of accounts had been spamming high numbers of false comments about how "Simon is dead," often involving a brief detailed explanation of when and how he died, and often posted by people impersonating members of the network. If you're not familiar with those guys, he's kind of a fan favorite, big redheaded guy who says some damn funny stuff and brings a lot to the table generally speaking as well. Don't know why he reminds me of a certain someone from GB.. huh... Having not even seen the hateful spam, I immediately understood why they'd clamp down on that sort of message.

It happened right around the time we lost one of our own over here, making it especially sore to me that (Ryan said it best...) DICKS out there would go to such lengths for such a potentially harmful stunt.

I've seen some nasty stuff, but I haven't seen the barrage that apparently happened and I chalk that up to you guys doing some fine work in terms of judging what is and isn't harmful spam, etc... Thanks! Keep this place pleasant (or the illusion at least!)

#63 Edited by Fattony12000 (7520 posts) -