Reminder: You won't be able to play some Ubisoft games next week.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

source: http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/transition/details/

Ubisoft is moving some of their servers to a new location, next week, so the online functionality of all games except Anno 2070, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Just Dance 3, and Driver: San Francisco will be unavailable beginning on February 7 for an indefinite period of time.

Even better -- because DRM is for the benefit of the legitimate paying customer, you won't be able to play the following games. At all. Not even single-player:

• Assassin's Creed
  • H.A.W.X. 2
  • Might & Magic: Heroes VI
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • The Settlers Online
  • The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I blame the French!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

My NES still works.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mandude

@themangalist: The day and age when it makes sense to pirate a game AFTER you've already paid for it...

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Marcsman

Why the original AC is unplayable is beyond me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@nintendoeats said:

My NES still works.

Ubisoft actually developed time travel so they could go back in time and implement their DRM into all their older games. They really want to crack down on piracy.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By iamjohn

Wait, seriously? They're taking down the authentication servers for their DRMed PC games, too? What the fuck, Ubi.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Branthog

Why are messages being deleted from this thread? Three, from three different posters, including myself...?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

This is a warning for user to not discuss or promote pirating or circumnavigating copy right protection in this thread. Comments have been and will be deleted which do this.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Branthog

@ZombiePie said:

This is a warning for user to not discuss or promote pirating or circumnavigating copy right protection in this thread. Comments have been and will be deleted which do this.

Are you serious? Nobody in this thread has promoted pirating or circumnavigating copyright protection. The three comments from the three different people were commenting on how legitimate users being impacted by DRM in this way can very well lead to people "pirating" pieces of content when they otherwise would not have.

If that is "promoting pirating or circumnavigating copyright protection", then you need to comb back through every discussion and article regarding ACTA/SOPA/DRM and well beyond as it is an entirely valid point and concern when discussing DRM.

The spirit of the policy to not promote the activity is very clearly intended to prevent people from pointing to torrent sites, discussing how to actually perform it, or otherwise actively encouraging copyright infringement in a way that would cause problems for the site, overall. To construe that policy to, instead, be intended to strip away any conversation on the impact of DRM in a non-specific and non-instructive way (which I'm not going to quote here, because you'll surely use that as an excuse to ban my account, as a result) is fucking asinine.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Marcsman said:

Yeah, and it's only the Mac version too. I do not understand this...

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Branthog

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Marcsman said:

What I find really bizarre about it all is that they are going to be down for enough time to warrant them notifying players, like that. It shouldn't be "indefinite". Typically, a large move like that would be planned out and have a full agenda. Possibly with actual times given for each activity. Instead of shutting down everything, moving it somewhere else, setting it back up, and turning it back on -- you would expect that everything would be set up at the new location. You'd shut off the old site and fire up the new one as soon as you've verified that it's working. Then, you'd wait for the new location to catch up on the changes that have occurred since the duplication - and go live. Unless something went wrong, you'd be looking at an outage of minutes or house; not "indefinite".

I would especially think that to be the case when you're dealing with services for paying customers. Especially when it impacts a portion of your business that is already under pretty severe scrutiny.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Etnos

@Branthog said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Marcsman said:

What I find really bizarre about it all is that they are going to be down for enough time to warrant them notifying players, like that. It shouldn't be "indefinite". Typically, a large move like that would be planned out and have a full agenda. Possibly with actual times given for each activity. Instead of shutting down everything, moving it somewhere else, setting it back up, and turning it back on -- you would expect that everything would be set up at the new location. You'd shut off the old site and fire up the new one as soon as you've verified that it's working. Then, you'd wait for the new location to catch up on the changes that have occurred since the duplication - and go live. Unless something went wrong, you'd be looking at an outage of minutes or house; not "indefinite".

I would especially think that to be the case when you're dealing with services for paying customers. Especially when it impacts a portion of your business that is already under pretty severe scrutiny.

I agree with you partially, In a business sense classic DMR is a poor way to address piracy, however, out of proportion sense of entitlement to justify stealing is not acceptable to me.

Lack of education and values are part of the problem.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By GS_Dan

What a joke.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By mike

There's an article about this in the Ubisoft forum.

http://www.giantbomb.com/ubisoft-entertainment/65-82/some-ubisoft-games-not-playable-on-my-birthday/35-534624/