Repetetive gameplay and zombies

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

This is also a blog post of mine but I thought I'd post it here to as people aren't very likely to be looking at my blog.

So I just played the demo of Castle Crashers and although it was all right it just reminded me why I don't play these sorts of games. I can't keep myself playing when it's more or less the same thing for every level. Kill some dudes by hitting a couple of buttons repeatedly. This is the same reason I generally don't like Zombie shooters. Not only is it painfully repetitive but zombies may, quite possibly, be the most rubbish video game enemy ever conceived. For the most part they're usually slow and bumbling about and you can take them out before they get close to you or they're of the variety that just run and jump at you in some suicidal attempt to be mildly irritating.

Repetitive gameplay isn't a problem on it's own. It becomes a problem when the developers seemingly do little or nothing to counter balance it. Forcing the player to think about what they're doing, make strategic decisions is one way to distract from the repetitiveness. Another solution is to create interesting, unique scenarios around the core gameplay. Put the players in positions where they are doing things other than whatever your core gameplay happens to be (Shooting dudes, smashing dudes, slicing dudes... killing dudes in general). Most FPS's do a fairly good job of this giving you specific objectives to complete (Y'know other than shooting dudes, smashing dudes, slicing dudes... killing dudes in general).

I don't have a real conclusion to this so... the end.

So what do you guys think of the thing I've just babbled about?
Oh and I don't want this to turn into an argument over whether Castle Crashers is good or not, it was just a recent example in my mind.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By xruntime

Yeah, repetitive games suck. I like my FPS games short enough so that it's not repetitive.

F.E.A.R. is one game I think suffers from the repetitive syndrome

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb

Left 4 Dead doesn't look like it will be repetitive, it looks like it's going to kick some serious ass.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By brukaoru

I thought this thread would be about Left 4 Dead, cause that game is looking kind of repetitive to me. :P

I agree, I think repetitive gameplay can only be implemented so much before it starts to get boring. The amount of repetitive scenarios in some games really ruins the potential some of them have.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
BiggerBomb said:
"Left 4 Dead doesn't look like it will be repetitive, it looks like it's going to kick some serious ass."
Hmm yeah that was another reason why I started thinking about this whole thing. It does look like Valve are taking steps to ensure the game will be different from your average zombie shooter but I can see it getting boring after a few games. I want Valve to prove me wrong on this one but I can't know until I play it.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I disagree with your entire post. Killing dudes is what makes Castle Crashers great, and leveling up, getting new items, getting new attacks, etc. is not repetitive in my eyes. Also, zombies are quite possibly the BEST enemies in game history.

Good day sir. I SAID GOOD DAY.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Oh yeah, and why the hell is your name purple, and your alignment 1337?

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
TheGTAvaccine said:
"I disagree with your entire post. Killing dudes is what makes Castle Crashers great, and leveling up, getting new items, getting new attacks, etc. is not repetitive in my eyes. Also, zombies are quite possibly the BEST enemies in game history.

Good day sir. I SAID GOOD DAY."
Fair enough, I just don't find the whole levelling up and getting loot a decent reason for having fairly mundane gameplay. Throwing in new attacks and weapons I guess could be seen as a method of mixing things up a bit but you;re still doing the same basic thing over and over again. Just with bigger, shiner swords.
zidane33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zidane33

repetitiveness isn't always a bad thing you know

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
zidane33 said:
"repetitiveness isn't always a bad thing you know"
Do elaborate. I wanna hear all sides of the argument.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb
Kung_Fu_Viking said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Left 4 Dead doesn't look like it will be repetitive, it looks like it's going to kick some serious ass."
Hmm yeah that was another reason why I started thinking about this whole thing. It does look like Valve are taking steps to ensure the game will be different from your average zombie shooter but I can see it getting boring after a few games. I want Valve to prove me wrong on this one but I can't know until I play it."

So do all online games bore you? That looks like the least linear it's going to get for awhile.
Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
BiggerBomb said:
"Kung_Fu_Viking said:
"BiggerBomb said:
Hmm yeah that was another reason why I started thinking about this whole thing. It does look like Valve are taking steps to ensure the game will be different from your average zombie shooter but I can see it getting boring after a few games. I want Valve to prove me wrong on this one but I can't know until I play it."

So do all online games bore you? That looks like the least linear it's going to get for awhile."
Definitely, eventually. That's why I can never stay playing a single game online for more than a couple of weeks at the most. I flit between my games to experience all the different gameplay types. But some games can keep you interested for longer than others. Like I said I'm going to give Left 4 Dead a shot I just don't have my hopes set as high for it as most people seem to.

Whilst we're on the topic of online games I want to mention that GTAIV is probably the best example currently of lots of different scenarios. It has racing, deathmatches, strategic tema games, cinematic co-op games and even a sandbox mode. Now obviously this wouldn't suit every game out there but if developers could just think of a lot of different ways their core gameplay could be used it would make them interesting for a lot longer.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb

Well that isn't a flaw of the game or evidence of repetitive gameplay, that is just your attention span (or lackthereof :P)

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
BiggerBomb said:
"Well that isn't a flaw of the game or evidence of repetitive gameplay, that is just your attention span (or lackthereof :P)"
Oh yeah, but you can see repetitive gameplay is every game. It's practically unavoidable. I guess the point I'm trying to make is how it's impact on games and the people who play them can be lessened.
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By xruntime

Leveling up and getting loot is the excuse all MMORPGs (and some RPGs) have to make you keep on doing the same thing over and over. It's a cheap way to make people bear the repetition...

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb
xruntime said:
"Leveling up and getting loot is the excuse all MMORPGs (and some RPGs) have to make you keep on doing the same thing over and over. It's a cheap way to make people bear the repetition..."

You gotta play a real man's RPG like KOTOR or Oblivion.