#1 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -

We get troll calls (and not even good troll calls). They're somehow always the worst Happy Hours, I doubt they're convincing any non-subscribers to become paying ones. Worst of all, they pollute and dampen the experience for paying members. Can we please stop trying to appease non-members by ruining the experience for the ones who actually pay?

#2 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

What, a couple of troll callers completely ruined an almost 2 hour long show?.. Plus for all you know, those two may of been paying members.

#3 Posted by KarlPilkington (2728 posts) -

Uh oh /hides.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

yeah, can we also just like not let them post or anything? Maybe create a non paying member forum? I hate them diluting our forum. I MEAN COME ON!

#5 Posted by Catarrhal (831 posts) -

I don't know about canceling the free shows outright, but they probably shouldn't take any more calls, period.

#6 Edited by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

The last free Happy Hours were good but this one sucked and I felt bad for the guys as this is what they are showing to try and entice non-subscribers. Do yourself a favor Whiskey dudes and make last week's archive HH free so that everyone knows how epic the HH can be when it's only members calling. 

#7 Posted by DonChipotle (2746 posts) -

Yeah and they should have their own separate bathrooms so they can spew their shit where we don't have to see it!

#8 Posted by wellAdjusted (17 posts) -

Happy Hour where noone's half cut is a shameful Happy Hour :(
Beer combats technical difficulties don't ya know.

#9 Edited by Zimbo (875 posts) -

...I enjoyed it despite the technical problems. There was only one bad call as well. At least the NDX one was funny. The rest of them asked  pretty intelligent questions. 

I'm actually considering getting a membership now more than ever. Also, I suspect you will not get this request approved. Whiskey knows what it is doing.

Edit: 

Request for seperate water fountains too Dave? I don't want to dilute the paying members water.

#10 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -
@Laketown: Don't act like this community wouldn't get vastly better overnight if what you're sarcastically suggesting was done.
#11 Posted by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

I am back and forth from the computer so I decided to just wait and watch the archived version. Is it that bad this time? I kind of think all the calls suck, but I never liked call ins on any form of media. Emails are great because you can filter them out, with calls it could easily be a weird waste of time. Like when people called in to attack Jeff last week or so, it just seems to shine a bad light on the community.

#12 Posted by CornBREDX (5250 posts) -

I agree the troll calls are stupid but thats not really Whiskey Media's fault. They just need to find a way to limit that but you cant always.
I do agree, though. For some reason the free happy hours are always the slowest. 
I don't know why that is. They seem less crazy.
Meh, it's probably just me.
But ya the troll calls- totally not cool. I don't think they should stop doing free happy hour because of trolls though.

#13 Posted by wellAdjusted (17 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" yeah, can we also just like not let them post or anything? Maybe create a non paying member forum? I hate them diluting our forum. I MEAN COME ON! "
What? The guys with the $5 a month account is gonna reply to freeloaders? COME ON!!!
#14 Posted by KarlPilkington (2728 posts) -

Call-ins suck anyway, questions from the chat was much better.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@shadyspace said:
" @Laketown: Don't act like this community wouldn't get vastly better overnight if what you're sarcastically suggesting was done. "
no, actually, because there are a bunch of users who aren't members who are awesome.

while you, on the other hand...
#16 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

I didn't think it was that bad while watching it, the troll call sucked but that's what you have to deal with on the internet.

#17 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Don't think so, despite the difficulties and the last call it was ok, not the best, but ok.
To top Creeper Jeff playing Galgun is hard.

#18 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -

There have been weeks and weeks of regular Happy Hours with call-ins and zero trolls. Free Happy Hour? Trolls. It's no big mystery as to why that is.

#19 Posted by DonChipotle (2746 posts) -
@shadyspace said:
" There have been weeks and weeks of regular Happy Hours with call-ins and zero trolls. Free Happy Hour? Trolls. It's no big mystery as to why that is. "

For all you know it was paid members. You can't just assume, man. That's the mother of all fuck ups
#20 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -
@shadyspace: Yeah, but free people need to get a taste to see what they're missing out on so they can get more subscribers in the future
#21 Posted by smitty86 (698 posts) -

Well this thread will be going nowhere. I bid you all good day.

#22 Posted by Skullo (646 posts) -

Awwww poor babies did a few troll calls ruin your precious free show? RUB DIRT ON IT AND GET OVER IT.

Seriously. A show interacting with the internet should expect to have a fair share of trolls.

But oh no, we have high expectations!

#23 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -
@shadyspace said:
" There have been weeks and weeks of regular Happy Hours with call-ins and zero trolls. Free Happy Hour? Trolls. It's no big mystery as to why that is. "
It was one troll call. Why is this such a big issue? You can't blame the technical problems on non paying members.  I doubt this is even thread worthy.
#24 Posted by DonChipotle (2746 posts) -
@Skullo said:
" Awwww poor babies did a few troll calls ruin your precious free show? RUB DIRT ON IT AND GET OVER IT.   Seriously. A show interacting with the internet should expect to have a fair share of trolls.  But oh no, we have high expectations! "
This is Giant Bomb, dammit! We're not accustomed to trolls!
#25 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

Did my NDX call count as being a troll? it wasn't a question, but, well, it made people laugh.

#26 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -
@Zimbo: A troll call by a non-subscriber, who admitted as such in the chat.
#27 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

They've taken calls on about 3 shows in total, and I think they've had (terrible) prank calls every time.

#28 Posted by DonChipotle (2746 posts) -
@shadyspace said:
" @Zimbo: A troll call by a non-subscriber, who admitted as such in the chat. "

If it was a troll call by a subscriber, would you be as upset?
#29 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -
@random_guy23 said:
" Did my NDX call count as being a troll? it wasn't a question, but, well, it made people laugh. "
Troll! You are such a freeloader you damn non paying mem....oh wait a minute. 

It was pretty funny. Well worth watching Ryans face when he realised what was happening.
#30 Posted by MisterMouse (3553 posts) -

well it isn't just appeasing non members, it is an opportunity for whiskey media to sell their subscriptions, by completely getting rid of that you get rid of a "commercial" to entice non members. 

Also on a side note, some peoples views about the troll calls seem to be creating an elitist perspective amongst some members, and they seem to be stereotyping all of the non paying members... just saying but that is hardly what is wanted from this membership.

#31 Posted by KarlPilkington (2728 posts) -
@random_guy23 said:
" Did my NDX call count as being a troll? it wasn't a question, but, well, it made people laugh. "
Atleast yours was funny compared to the other guys.
#32 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Why are they taking live calls anyway, that is like a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off. Completely baffling.

#33 Edited by shadyspace (458 posts) -

@random_guy23: The NDX call was a legitimate question. Everything concerning the NDX is legitimate.

#34 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -
@Chabbs0:  Thanks. And also, getting back to the thread question, I am a monthly paid member, and I love it, well worth it. Yes, the troll at the end was annoying. But, we've all gotta learn that there are just stupid people in the world!
#35 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3087 posts) -
@Prodstep:
This.  Only getting one troll call so far is a practical miracle.  Thank the lord they don't take any while the comicvine crew are on camera or who knows what they'd get.
#36 Posted by FinalDasa (1714 posts) -

As a non-member I like the free shows only because it reminds me that I really need to get on top of one day giving some money Whiskey's way. 
Really trolls will only continue to occur as the sites get bigger whether it's members only or not. 
I also found the troll really dumb and immature but it isn't something associated with non-members only.

#37 Posted by CornBREDX (5250 posts) -
@random_guy23:  No your call was funny and topical. =)
#38 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -
@pyromaster222: They already did have a commercial, though. It was called the Big Live Live Show and it was just about the best thing that's ever happened on the internet. If that wasn't enticing enough to people, why would a subpar Happy Hour be?
#39 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" @Prodstep:This.  Only getting one troll call so far is a practical miracle.  Thank the lord they don't take any while the comicvine crew are on camera or who knows what they'd get. "
I'd wager they purposely ignore all calls during that segment for such reasons.
#40 Posted by DonChipotle (2746 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" @Prodstep:This.  Only getting one troll call so far is a practical miracle.  Thank the lord they don't take any while the comicvine crew are on camera or who knows what they'd get. "

I bet all of them would be about Batman or something.
#41 Posted by MisterMouse (3553 posts) -
@shadyspace: Yes but Giantbomb and the rest of the Whiskey Media sites have new members coming in everyday, and because of that there is unfortunately a contingent of people that will have completely missed the awesomeness that was the Big Live Live show, and don't even know about it.
#42 Edited by CharlesAlanRatliff (5424 posts) -
@kurtdyoung said:

Like when people called in to attack Jeff last week or so, it just seems to shine a bad light on the community. 

I just watched that yesterday and don't recall anyone "attacking" Jeff. People were messing around because of the Creeper Cam scenario. Those last two calls on that Happy Hour and Jeff's reactions ended up being one of the best pieces of Internet content I have ever seen. 
#43 Posted by Sweep (8858 posts) -

Maybe a solution would be to play voicemail messages instead of actually having a live caller? That's gotta be the only way you can 100% screen the calls. 
To be honest that bullshit call could have been cut off a lot earlier, they just weren't quick enough on the switchboard. The rest of the live calls were actually pretty awesome. 

It's ironic how Ryan gets so angry about people wasting their time considering how goofy the whole show is. I mean, the longest segment today was Dave solving (ha!) a Rubiks cube.

#44 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" The last free Happy Hours were good but this one sucked and I felt bad for the guys as this is what they are showing to try and entice non-subscribers. Do yourself a favor Whiskey dudes and make last week's archive HH free so that everyone knows how epic the HH can be when it's only members calling.  "
actually, this is what they should do at the end of the month... make the last HH of the month an archived video
#45 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -

But seriously guys, non-subscribers should drink from their own water fountain.

#46 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5424 posts) -
@shadyspace: Maybe a less harsh solution would be to not take calls during free Happy Hours. I'm not saying this should be done, but I think it would be a better alternative to what you're suggesting. 

Also, for people talking about them taking calls during the Comic Vine segment, they already have, and the scenario you guys are probably imagining did not occur.
#47 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -
@shadyspace said:
" But seriously guys, non-subscribers should drink from their own water fountain. "
FFS, it's like one every so often that's made free for all, so stop being so fucking dramatic.
#48 Posted by Farley_Lives (278 posts) -

These free shows are not helping with me wanting a subscription. This week in particular just felt cobbled together last minute and I have no interest in watching any more Happy Hours. I love the site and the content, but I stay from the majority of the user interaction (forums, chat & questions) because of stuff we saw tonight.  There are just so many issues I have with the user base right now and the fear I have that Giantbomb is filling with all the assholes I was trying to avoid in the first place.  

#49 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -
@Sweep: You should not underestimate the importance of Professor Daves work. Everything he does can have immense ramifications on this website called Giant Bomb.
#50 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -
@random_guy23 said:
That was you?! It was pretty trollish, funny at the moment but then things started going downhill from there.  You may have been the inspiration for the future troll who ruined everything.