#1 Posted by Rastopher (36 posts) -

http://www.overclock.net/t/1319323/razer-synapse-2-0-software-mouse-unusable-if-you-dont-have-an-internet-connection-or-their-servers-are-down

Basically, the summary of that link is you now have to activate your new Razer products online and accept their licence agreement that allows them to gather data from your computer. If you don't, your mouse will still work as a plug and play, but you won't be able to access any of the features that make your fancy new mouse matter. Just to make sure this was a real thing, I went to Razer's website and sure enough, under the system requirements was the following:

Razer Synapse 2.0 account registration (requiring a valid e-mail address), software download,license agreement acceptance, and internet connection is required to use full feature set of product and to receive updates.

Awesome. Guess I'm never buying a Razer product again. I'm kind of shocked they would even think about pulling something like this.

#2 Edited by Ben_H (3379 posts) -

Except that is wrong in a way. Once you register once it you can set it to run in offline mode where it never connects to the internet but you can still adjust everything. This discussion was already had on Team Liquid and that was what they found out with some research. Sure the registration thing sucks but you only have to do it once and then you never have to worry about it again. They do the stupid activation thing so they can store your settings in the cloud so you can use them on any PC. Sure the data collection thing is annoying, but absolutely everywhere does that now anyway so who cares. If you use the internet, you are going to have info collected about you whether you like it or not.

Read the mod edits on here: 
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=379815 

For the record, I don't really like Razer and I use a Logitech G1, which is better than any Razer mouse I have used. 

Edit: When I tried using my old Deathadder again I got the Synapse 2.0 drivers but when it asked me to register I just uninstalled them and reinstalled the old drivers. Those are all still available and don't require registration.  A lot of people still use them.

#3 Posted by Rastopher (36 posts) -

Yeah, there's the old drivers you can fall back on, which is good. It just seems strange to me that you would have to jump through hoops after spending a bunch of money. Overall it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it's still a hassle that could be easily avoided by buying something else that will most likely cost a lot less.