#1 Edited by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

so i was thinking about how Hollywood loves "rebooting" or "reseting" popular film francises and it got me thinking about how certin games would look totally remade. now as much as i love Metal gear,it's probly my favorite game francise,i would be incredibly interested to see what could be done with a total reboot. now by reboot i mean erasing everything. they would just take the core elements of the series and create a new and interesting world and gameplay.im honestly surprised that Kojima hasnt done this allready. while i love the world of MGS so much i will admit the francise can be very confusing and convuluted to some one not familiar with it.

My second choice would have to be resident evil. again,i LOVE this series and im even a big fan of RE5 and 6. i would just love it if they stripped everything away and got back down to basics.i imagine it as a combo between the original Resident evil and the first Dead space. it would be dark and foreboding but also have those action set pieces that people enjoy.

Also as a quick aside, i mentioned this to a friend and his first response was Final Fantasy. i told him FF doesnt really count since each entry into the francise is more or less a reboot but im not sure.what do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Snail (8662 posts) -
#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Crysis. Just destroy all the CryEngine 3 technology and art, burn it all with gasoline, and start fresh again with a game that HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH CRYSIS

#4 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@Snail: i wasnt implying that it never happend in video games i just ment not as often as in films. thanks for adding the the discussion!

#5 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4826 posts) -

Those are some sound choices. I'm not an incredibly huge fan of either series, but I do really enjoy MGS. I feel a reboot would do that series some justice. I enjoy complexity in my entertainment, but, in my opinion, MGS can be, in many ways, a mess of a story.

Never really been into the RE franchise, but a reboot would definitely get me interested. It's weird, I can watch someone play 0, 1, 2, and 3 practically all day long, but the moment you boot up 4, 5, or a demo of 6, I just slowly begin to die of boredom. I doubt something like those first 4 games would work well in today's market, but they 'speak to me' more than the latter ever will.

Also, does a new Darkstalkers game count as a reboot at this point? Just give me one of those. Please, Capcom. Please.

#6 Posted by GunstarRed (5479 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts. I'd love to get into that series. but it seems like such a confusing mess at this point.

#7 Posted by Snail (8662 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Crysis. Just destroy all the CryEngine 3 technology and art, burn it all with gasoline, and start fresh again with a game that HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH CRYSIS

You mean you want Crysis 3 to be on an island? Or do you actually care about the plot in that game?

@DoctorDanger99 said:

@Snail: i wasnt implying that it never happend in video games i just ment not as often as in films. thanks for adding the the discussion!

You're right, it doesn't happen as often. It still happens with quite some frequency though. Another example is the new Tomb Raider.

I'm honestly not coming up with any franchises I'd really like to see rebooted, except maybe Metal Gear Solid, but you already pointed that one out.

#8 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I would be totally interested in a reset of the MGS fiction just as soon as they wrap up Big Boss' story arc.

#9 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

Those are some sound choices. I'm not an incredibly huge fan of either series, but I do really enjoy MGS. I feel a reboot would do that series some justice. I enjoy complexity in my entertainment, but, in my opinion, MGS can be, in many ways, a mess of a story.

Oh MGS wouldn't be nearly as fun if Kojima wasn't totally nuts. That said, I think they're sorta running out of room to tell their story. At this point, the series has a pretty set beginning (MGS3) and end (MGS4), and barring remakes of the original Metal Gear games, they've pretty much covered all the history between those two points. Depending on where Ground Zeroes ends, that might be the last game in Big Boss's arc, which means if anything, the only place they have left to go is either exploring Boss' story (which would be pretty cool honestly), or doing something post MGS4, which I don't think would be so great (I like where MGS4 ended things).

Then again, does it even really need a reboot? I'm sure Kojima has more ideas than a dude with a bad haircut and pants that are too tight.

#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@Snail said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

You mean you want Crysis 3 to be on an island? Or do you actually care about the plot in that game?

My only interest is the gameplay, and the gameplay gets ruined by the environment of Crysis 2 (and apparently 3 from what I've seen), gameplay gets ruined by the quick time events and the melee prompts, sprint being equal to maximum speed, and so forth.

Nothing about Crysis 2 looks or feels or smells like what a Crysis sequel should be, and 3 is looking like more of 2. They just need to go back to the roots, the Far Cry 1/Crysis 1 direction, and make a sequel that truly builds on those games rather than COD-ifies the formula.

#11 Edited by Rafaelfc (1467 posts) -

The Resident Evil series (both in film and in game form) desperately needs a reboot.

#12 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

Call of Duty

You play as an amputee war veteran. The entire game is a recollection of a dumbass war where the main character spent 3/4 of it waiting around as his wife back home cheats on him with the neighbor. The soldier loses his legs on an IED during a football match in the desert when the ball rolls onto a road and the soldier must go get it.

#13 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Call it Midlife Crysis and make the player character an ex-military guy in his mid-forties trying to cope with his second mortgage and third marriage.

Edit: Call the sequel Midwife Crysis and now you have to support a child. Man, I'm on a roll today.

#14 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

The Final Fantasy

#15 Posted by JEC03 (919 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Well said, Also I feel the same way about the F.E.A.R. series they need to drop WB as a publisher everything from fear 2 and on in the series has been dumbed down garbage in every sense the original game to me is a classic they totally fucked up the series it makes me sick.

#16 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

I'll jump on a Resident Evil reboot. I'm not completely for or against what the series is doing right now but I would certainly like to see the series just completely redone in the right survival horror loving hands. It would also be great to see it kept that way.

#17 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

That's cool idea but i feel you have to do it the right way. If you can finish the story before and start a saga anew and give a franchises a fresh start is cool and interesting. Changing an on going story or characters is not cool, and sometime borders disrespecting the fiction. Metal Gear Rising is a good example of it doing its own thing and not forcing it's style on the original fiction. The new DmC is how not to do this, it could and seems like it will be a fine game. But its seems like a complete insult to the original fiction and characters.

#18 Posted by aznjon12 (189 posts) -

I kinda want to see what Nintendo would do if they had to reboot Legend of Zelda.

#19 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

@aznjon12 said:

I kinda want to see what Nintendo would do if they had to reboot Legend of Zelda.

This is my answer as well.

#20 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

Splinter Cell needs a reboot. Sam is in his 60s, yet has a new voice actor that is way younger than his old one, and looks way younger than he did in the first Splinter Cell.

#21 Posted by Scrawnto (2467 posts) -

@aznjon12 said:

The continuity is so thin in the Legend of Zelda that every game might as well be a reboot in the same way each Final Fantasy is.

I honestly can't think of a franchise that I care about and that I think would need a reboot to do anything interesting. Wing Commander, maybe?

#22 Posted by solarisdeschain (99 posts) -

Surprised I haven't seen Silent Hill named. But then, they did try to reboot that franchise, which resulted in one of the best horror games of the last five years, and the fanbase just whined and complained.

#23 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (736 posts) -

@aznjon12 said:

I''d like to see a reboot of any number of Nintendo franchises. Just shake up the old formula and get completely unhinged to the series' roots. Take a chance. Metroid Prime, although very good, is probably the closest we'll get to that. Zelda is prime for a reboot, that formula is stale as hell.

#24 Posted by suikoden352 (425 posts) -

suikoden. that series deserves so much better than how konami treats it. such a crying shame. those first 2 games were great. i would even dare to say a part of the top ten rpgs of all time. the suikoden series deserves better.

#25 Edited by Encephalon (1335 posts) -

MGS and RE are my choices, too. I can't think of two other franchises that are as overburdened by the weight of their accumulated fiction.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

The Final Fantasy

A Final Fantasy.

#27 Posted by Nightriff (5365 posts) -
@solarisdeschain And which game was that?

My choice would be.... Resident Evil but I don't care about it anymore so it's too late at this point.

And I see a lot of mgs but I really just want a remake/reimaging of the first game, Kojima just keep doing what your doing
#28 Posted by KaneRobot (1848 posts) -

Half-Life. Mostly just to see the reaction to not getting a resolution to the HL2E2 story.

#29 Edited by Yummylee (22575 posts) -

I've been saying for a while now that RE is in need of a reboot. And since it's now most likely scratching off it's one final thread, being Ada Wong's arc, and the fact that we've got Chris & Leon starring in the same RE game for the first time, it definitely looks like this is being set up to be the final game in the series for the current canon. Oh, there'll probably be spin-offs, maybe even a prequel (rumour is there's possibly a 3DS game in the making starring Claire Redfield), but as far as the main time-line goes on home consoles, RE6 could (and should) be the end.

As for my own suggestion: while I don't think it's necessarily in need of a reboot, I really hope the God of War series can finally change something--anything--about the story/gameplay design; just something else other than playing as Kratos swinging his blades everywhere while having temper tantrums about his vengeance. I had hoped that Ascension was going to be a prequel set before Kratos was the Ghost of Sparta (and less so of a complete twat) and he'd at least be using different weapons and such, but that evidently isn't the case.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

I really hope the God of War series can finally change something--anything--about the story/gameplay design; just something else other than playing as Kratos swinging his blades everywhere while having temper tantrums about his vengeance

How about God of War Babiez? Kratos is three years old, now, and he's wielding baby rattles instead of blades. Surprisingly enough, exact same voice. (I don't know why this came into my mind. Temper tantrum, maybe?)

#31 Posted by Hunter5024 (5973 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts could use sort of a soft reboot I think. As in a new adventure with the main characters, that doesn't tie into all of the crazy continuity that built up around it.

#32 Posted by MonetaryDread (2178 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Yummylee said:

I really hope the God of War series can finally change something--anything--about the story/gameplay design; just something else other than playing as Kratos swinging his blades everywhere while having temper tantrums about his vengeance

How about God of War Babiez? Kratos is three years old, now, and he's wielding baby rattles instead of blades. Surprisingly enough, exact same voice. (I don't know why this came into my mind. Temper tantrum, maybe?)

If it was a $15 download on PSN I would totally buy God of War Babies. It would be as awesome as the mid-90's when I started finding the X-babies in marvel comics.

My real answer is Unreal or Heretic. I was reading an AMA with Cliff Blezinski and when he was discussing the way he would reboot Unreal made me cum. I want that game.

“I was quoted recently on a Fortnite panel about the first Unreal and what a reboot might look like. Having really grown into a big Bethesda fan lately (Skyrim rocked my world), I couldn’t help but wonder what a reboot of Unreal would be like if it was more ‘SciFi-Rim.’ Sure, there would be shooting involved, but exploration would almost be more important. Get back to that sense of wonder that the first game had. (Caves and castles and crashed ships are basically your dungeon instances, whereas the ‘overworld’ is less intense.) Put it on a high-end PC, and prepare yourself for amazing visuals never before seen in real time.

-Cliff Bleszinski