#1 Posted by Soniking (42 posts) -

http://kotaku.com/resident-evil-composer-admits-to-being-a-fraud-1516435701

The composer for Resident Evil: Directors cut and Onimusha had a ghost composer create most of his music after he was slowly going deaf. some excerps from the kotaku article.

Mamoru Samuragoch* has been called "Japan's Beethoven." Even as he went deaf, Samuragoch continued to compose scores for video games like Resident Evil and Onimusha. This week, he revealed that he used a ghost composer.

A gifted musician, Samuragoch had a degenerative hearing condition that left him completely deaf by age 35. However, as AFPpoints out, he continued to release work, such as "Symphony No.1 Hiroshima," a tribute to those killed in the atomic bombing. His scores for the DualShock version of Resident Evil Director's Cut,released in 1998, and Onimusha, released in 2001, were popular among gamers.

A shame but all I care about is finding out who is actually responsible for this classic Director cut hit.

Which replaced this incredible song

#2 Edited by Brodehouse (9769 posts) -

Save Room from RE1 is the best save music ever.

#3 Posted by Wampa1 (634 posts) -

@soniking: Wow, I had forgotten just how terrible the DC soundtrack was. I can't even imagine the logic behind changing the music added nothing.

#4 Edited by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

After checking out some of the dualshock songs, I was surprised to realise that I've apparently never played that version of the game. The embedded example up above is hilariously atrocious to be sure, but some of the tracks work pretty well. It's definitely a lot more theatrical than the original game's stuff, but some of it is still appealing to listen to outside of the game at the very least. Also, that guy's work (or... not, as is the case) on the first Onimusha game is superb.

@brodehouse said:

Naw son, RE2's is where it's at! Though overall I think my favourite save room music of that era from Capcom is actually probably Dino Crisis 2's. It's awesome because it basically sounds like a sci-fi rendition of Resident Evil save room music, which is fitting given that's exactly what Dino Crisis was (initially) portrayed as.

#5 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1719 posts) -

Holy shit, I've never heard that original basement theme. That's spine-tingling just hearing it now outside of the game. I've only ever played the Director's Cut of the game, and I definitely remember that piece. It's uh...pretty awful in a musical sense, but very unsettling in its own way.

RE2's save room music is the shit. I think Nemesis's theme from 3 is my favorite, though, just because of the images and feelings it stirs up...especially when the slower version still plays while you're hiding from him in the save room. Pretty sure that scarred me for life.

Anyway, I guess I'm not really that disappointed since I never really payed attention to this guy or followed his career. Whoever really is responsible for this music is who I like. Now if it was, say, Akira Yamoaka who admitted this, I would be a little crushed.

#6 Edited by Pr1mus (3855 posts) -

I think the director's cut music was an attempt to bring the music to the same level of quality of the voice acting.

#7 Edited by Icicle7x3 (1177 posts) -

This explains so much.

#8 Edited by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

@onekillwonder_: Jesus, this was the Dualshock Tyrant theme?!

So you were left with that to end the final battle on, as opposed to:

...you have my condolences.

Listening to more of the dualshock soundtrack, and it all kinda sounds like the soundtrack you'd expect to find in some 90s FMV adventure game or something. Especially songs like 'Wesker's theme', which makes him out to be some sort of private detective.

#9 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

Oh wow. My only exposure to RE1 is the DS version, so I had no idea the soundtrack for the directors cut was so... bad.

#10 Posted by Wolfgame (698 posts) -

Have they found out what drove him to confess to this now? It must have been the stress of keeping it a secret I would imagine. Very sad all the way around, I won't criticize him too hard though, sounds like he truly had a gift and musical talent that was struck down early, I bet the biggest motivator was a desire to continue doing what he loved, it's not like when he could hear he was running some scam that entailed others writing music. I feel sorry for him, but I am sure that fans will be disappointed.

#11 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1719 posts) -

@yummylee: Haha, you know I honestly don't remember the music that much. It's been 14 or 15 years since I've played the original RE, and I think I only beat the game once. The original music does seem worlds better, though. In fact, this is all starting to make sense, because you would almost have to be deaf to compose the Director's Cut music and think it was even remotely acceptable.

#12 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

BRODEHOUSE I WILL FIGHT YOUUUU

#13 Posted by TheRealMoot (361 posts) -

The soundtrack for the DC version is different? Great. Now I really need to get a copy of the original Resident Evil with the ugly cover for more reasons that wanting every version of the first Resident Evil... but I feel like I've heard theses songs before. Where they put back into the Gamecube remake or the Nintendo DS remake Deadly Silence? Because I have heard them somewhere and it's now driving me nuts! I must know!

@onekillwonder_ I'am still terrified of the Nemesis in two scenes: When he's on the second floor of that one building where the second gem is and he gets a free shot in because the hallway is way to tight for the two of you; and whenever I hear the low (Quite?) version of his theme song when he's not in the same room as you, but still in hot pursuit and is totally going to kick the door in the second you stop staring at it! And the basement music from the DC version is ingrained in my memory... sometimes... it just come back... to randomly creep me the hell out.

#14 Posted by Random45 (1114 posts) -

Holy crap, that basement theme is just bad.

#15 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

holy shit that basement theme is hilarious

#16 Posted by BaconBits (57 posts) -

@wolfgame: A japanese figure skater is going to be performing to one of "his songs" during the Sochi Olympics, maybe his ghost writer finally wants some attention? He's also admitting this through his lawyers, so maybe he's being sued?

It doesn't really matter what his motivation was, he shouldn't have done it. Most musicians don't write their own music, the difference is they admit it.

#17 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

well, that's the thing, japanese game development is not well documented. Developers have no say of what they did, they could have designed they most beautiful character design but the are nothing more then a man in a cubical. So one of them slipped up in his synthesizer music to the most influential game that pushed video games forward, At least we get to hear him out about it.

#18 Edited by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

I think it's worth pointing out that this is the soundtrack specifically for the Director's Cut dualshock version, which still differs from the regular Director's Cut as that features the original soundtrack.

@therealmoot: I can definitely vouch that they weren't featured in the GC remake. Its soundtrack, for the most part, is made up of a lot of the original score, just slightly remixed.

It seems the ghost writer Takashi Niigaki is also now stating that Samuragoch may not have even be deaf to begin with...? Hafta wonder if that's what he genuinely thinks or if he's simply looking to grind his axe a little more. Still, such a weird turn of events...

#19 Posted by TheHT (11084 posts) -

That basement theme is AMAZING! The stupid trombone one! Holy shit!

The other track is some unsettling shit, so hats off to whoever's responsible for that. Wonder why he decided to come clean.

@wolfgame: A japanese figure skater is going to be performing to one of "his songs" during the Sochi Olympics, maybe his ghost writer finally wants some attention? He's also admitting this through his lawyers, so maybe he's being sued?

That's likely related. Maybe it's a matter of wanting to come clean after all these years before a song in question is used on the world stage like that? The olympics are a big deal for some people. Though if one of his not-his songs were used before, that theory can go right out the window.

I wonder what it feels like to have that weight with you for so long.

#20 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3179 posts) -

Hm. Ah well.

Reminds me of the MGS theme plagirism shenanigans.

#21 Edited by Brendan (7732 posts) -

To be clear, did he write the music but use the composer to ensure it came together properly or did he do literally nothing? There's a big difference between the two; if its the former then I would cut him some slack. I pity him either way.

#22 Posted by Quarters (1664 posts) -

I'm more familiar with the REmake as opposed to the original, but this story is crazy regardless.

#23 Posted by billymagnum (769 posts) -

@brendan said:

To be clear, did he write the music but use the composer to ensure it came together properly or did he do literally nothing? There's a big difference between the two; if its the former then I would cut him some slack. I pity him either way.

sounds to me like he took a job he wasnt good at at BS'ed his way through it. the other guy was writing music and being payed for them. i dont think he would tell the guy he would commit suicide if anyone found out just for proof reading his music...

#24 Edited by Nightriff (4972 posts) -

To be honest I don't remember the music from RE games all to well.

#25 Posted by eskimo (475 posts) -

So sad for a composer and music lover to go deaf at age 35. Kinda makes everything else pale in comparison.

#26 Posted by falserelic (5394 posts) -

Good ole Resident Fucking Evil. I could go on forever about how much I've loved the series. I still remember all the fun times I had when I was just a young relic, but now the series is...yeah lets not talk about it. Anyway I will now show MR X ( looking like agent 47 on steroids).

#27 Edited by Brendan (7732 posts) -

@billymagnum: Composition and proofreading aren't comparable. Writing and composition in music are often done by separate people on many occasions. Hans Zimmer collaborates with many music creators for his compositions for example. Not composing the music doesnt necessarily mean he didn't have the talent and inspiration involved in writing much of it, although if he was listed as the composer then clearly there's still fakery involved. The story doesn't make clear whether he was involved or whether he did none of the work.

#28 Posted by billymagnum (769 posts) -

@brendan: im reading everywhere that he did not write the music.

#29 Posted by Brendan (7732 posts) -