#1 Edited by therepublicanguy (84 posts) -

Hey guys!

After my deployment to the Middle East, I was determined to buy a Super Nintendo. For years, I have always wanted to play a Super Nintendo the way it was meant to be played: on a couch with the original controller and game console. I have most of the remastered copies, but I never actually owned the system. Even though I had five copies of Super Mario World, I had to have the original copy on a Super Nintendo. Maybe it was to show my Videogame geekness to friends and family, I am not sure. Due to this compulsion, I bought a Super Nintendo and have collected over 15 SNES games and a pile of other oddities (Eternal Darkness, Xmen Children of the Atom, Marvel War of the Gems). Some purchases have been worth it (Super Metroid) while others... I do not have time to play them! The problem is this: I buy these old games and systems, put them on a shelf, hook them to the TV, and they gain dust.

It seems like the hunt is more fun than the actual prize. I check availability and Ebay to see if the titles are in stock or not, eventually get them, and never play it! I have three Metroid Prime games to go through!

So, are there any obsessive retro hunters like myself? Are you guys looking for SNES or GC, or is it older like 3DO, Jaguar, Saturn? Just curious to see how the community is with this. Have a good one!

#2 Edited by TheRealMoot (335 posts) -

Yep. I hit up every pawn shop, garage sale, junk shop and flee market every time I get a chance.

I'm looking for everything. If it predates current gen consoles I'm looking for it. It could be an old Snes game, it could be an Atari 2600! I just pick up whatever I can as long as the price is reasonable. I got a hit list of games I really want, but i'll also buy whatever looks interesting or is really cheap.

#3 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2181 posts) -

If I see something interesting at a flee market or garage sale I might get it. Otherwise I don't actively look around for older games.

#4 Edited by therepublicanguy (84 posts) -

Well, it happened again. I saw Patrick post the story about Earthbound this week. In my stupid fascination, I wanted to get Earthbound for the Super Nintendo. $150 later, I now have Earthbound haha

#5 Edited by believer258 (11564 posts) -

It would be nice to have and play these games on their original consoles, but some of them are so nutty-expensive. I just couldn't pay that much, especially when many of these games are available on the Wii virtual console and almost all of them are available via emulation.

If I were to win the lottery or something, I would certainly build up an enviable collection, I just have neither the money nor the time to justify $150 for Earthbound or, like, $400 for a new copy of Super Metroid to replace the one that I can't seem to find.

#6 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2860 posts) -

Always on the hunt for SNES games and PS1 games but in the city I live in you rarely come across good shit at any flea market and all the antique malls have had the same overpriced games for years.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

My main goal is to amass a collection of obscure and hard to find 90s PC games, as they were in their heyday. I greatly regret not still having my childhood collection. Also, I miss the days of game stores featuring rows upon rows of big-box PC games, so it would be great to replicate that look myself.

#8 Edited by Winsord (1149 posts) -

I get very close to buying an older console frequently but have never followed through. Usually it's looking at Dreamcasts, but I'm never able to find one in what I'd consider to be acceptable condition for a reasonable price, or if I do the shipping doubles the price of the console. Just last week I spent a few hours looking into get a Super Famicom or a Super Famicom Junior so I could play a few games like Harvest Moon and Act Raiser. It ended up being a similar situation though, where the nice consoles are more than I'm willing to spend (worried I won't stick with it for very long, so I don't want to invest much) and the cheaper consoles have usually oxidized and are scratched or have a variety of gunk on them. If I found one in person or any Japanese games in boxes in person, my price ceiling would probably increase significantly. Like in the following picture, I'm practically as interested in owning the boxes as the games themselves.

I'm sure I'll break down at some point and invest in an older console, but I'm just not quite there yet; kind of figure the stuff's only going to be getting more expensive at this point. Fortunately I own all of my childhood consoles and games still, so there's no nostalgia drive to buy back all of the stuff I had at one point or something. The Dreamcast was one I didn't own but played many times at a friend's house, so that's probably why it interests me most. I find no refurbished console or emulator is able to recreate the same feelings playing on an original console is able to achieve, so I completely understand why buying those games on Virtual Console or something similar isn't enough.

I'd also totally throw money down for one of those ridiculous GameCube keyboard controllers for PSO in Japan.

#9 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

Back when the Virtual Console first came out I sold a bunch of my SNES games and really regret that now since I decided I do in fact want physical copies of stuff that I really love. For some reason SNES games are crazy expensive now so seeing the prices on things like Super Metroid and Mega Man X2 when I had perfect copies hurts like hell.

Oddly, I'm having a hard time finding a good copy of Sonic 1. Turns out it's kind of hard to find a copy that wasn't a pack-in with Not For Resale printed on it.

#10 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2284 posts) -

I'm still hoping to obtain a copy of X3 on the SNES and a complete with manual copy of Tomba 2 on PS1. Already played both games quite a bit but owning them would be amazing.

#11 Edited by therepublicanguy (84 posts) -

It would be nice to have and play these games on their original consoles, but some of them are so nutty-expensive. I just couldn't pay that much, especially when many of these games are available on the Wii virtual console and almost all of them are available via emulation.

If I were to win the lottery or something, I would certainly build up an enviable collection, I just have neither the money nor the time to justify $150 for Earthbound or, like, $400 for a new copy of Super Metroid to replace the one that I can't seem to find.

Yeah they are haha. That is the most expensive game I have ever or will ever buy.

#12 Posted by madman356647 (186 posts) -

I've been collecting nes, snes, and some ps2 games.

My record is Earthbound for $80, Chrono Trigger for $30. Now, if only I could find Metal Warriors....

#13 Edited by JBG4 (385 posts) -

I own a ton of old consoles and had planned to start a retro blog, actually posted part 1 last year, but life has gotten in the way.

#14 Edited by Bane122 (783 posts) -

Now, if only I could find Metal Warriors....

God... DAMMIT! That was another one I sold and was wanting to pick up again. Seeing your post I went and looked on ebay to see $400-$500 for a complete copy!

#15 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Anything old will be sold when it can be properly emulated. That's my policy.

#16 Posted by madman356647 (186 posts) -
@bane122 said:

@madman356647 said:

Now, if only I could find Metal Warriors....

God... DAMMIT! That was another one I sold and was wanting to pick up again. Seeing your post I went and looked on ebay to see $400-$500 for a complete copy!

I don't even want a complete copy. Just the game!

#17 Edited by Jeust (10451 posts) -

Personally I'm looking for Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and Final Fantasy VI for the GBA, but I'm in no hurry.

#18 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3767 posts) -

I just picked up a SNES yesterday, the redesigned version without the eject button. Got Final Fight, F-Zero (which are both great but forgot no multiplayer) Mario All Stars and Shaq Fu which is as bad as I expected. Really wanna get all three Super Star Wars games I remember loving those.