Review roundup!

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

Edited By Oni

Because I've played a lot of games recently and because I don't feel like doing reviews for each individual one, I'm going to briefly review them in order, like so:

Fable 2

Fable 2's brand of action role-playing is fun, if a bit shallow. The main quest is quite short and not particularly memorable, but there are loads of optional quests that flesh out the world and feel like a meaningful
Light-hearted fun but ultimately forgettable.

4/5

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows

Probably the best Spider-Man game yet, besides Spider-Man 2. I already wrote detailed impressions on this, which have pretty much remained unchanged. Flashy but repetitive combat, and the same goes for the mission structure. Story is ridiculous and just an excuse to throw as many villains as possible in there and making symbiote versions of them. Peter's voice actor is awful, sounds like a whiny 16-year old. For more, read my impressions. Rent if you're interested.

3/5

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode 2

Besides having the longest title ever, it's also one of the funniest games I've played, along with the first episode. The second episode does what you expect from it, more of the same with some improvements,
Mike Krahulik's art is brought to life beautifully in both the game and the cut scenes, rendered in stunning two dimensions!
Mike Krahulik's art is brought to life beautifully in both the game and the cut scenes, rendered in stunning two dimensions!
namely a bit more variety (but just a bit), improving the blocking mechanism to make it easier to know when to block, and continuing the madcap story. I felt it wasn't quite as funny as I remember the first game being, but it's still appropriately riotous at times. If you're not a Penny Arcade fan, there's not much here for you, but if you are, and you liked the first game, you have no reason not to pick this up. Really, this review is kind of pointless as fans will get it and those who don't like Penny Arcade obviously have no business here. My main complaints are that enemies have too many hitpoints and fights take too long without ever really challenging you, apart from the boss battles, making them feel more like a chore. Also, one of the achievements on the 360 is glitched for a lot of people, which kind of sucks.

4/5

Gears of War 2

This probably deserves a full review, but I feel I don't have much to say about this that Jeff hasn't already said, and really, as a Gears fan, you know what to expect. It really is bigger and better. Stunning graphics,
EXPLOSIONS!
EXPLOSIONS!
amazing set pieces, the best co-operative shooter experience I've ever... experienced, as well as a great variety of multiplayer modes. Playing the campaign by myself though, I was not having nearly as much fun as I was when playing it with friends. The co-operative play is the heart of the experience here, as is clearly emphasized by the many opportunities for teamwork in the campaign, and it really just isn't the same by yourself.

5/5 (with the caveat that you're playing the campaign with a buddy)

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#1  Edited By Oni

Because I've played a lot of games recently and because I don't feel like doing reviews for each individual one, I'm going to briefly review them in order, like so:

Fable 2

Fable 2's brand of action role-playing is fun, if a bit shallow. The main quest is quite short and not particularly memorable, but there are loads of optional quests that flesh out the world and feel like a meaningful

4/5

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows

Probably the best Spider-Man game yet, besides Spider-Man 2. I already wrote detailed impressions on this, which have pretty much remained unchanged. Flashy but repetitive combat, and the same goes for the mission structure. Story is ridiculous and just an excuse to throw as many villains as possible in there and making symbiote versions of them. Peter's voice actor is awful, sounds like a whiny 16-year old. For more, read my impressions. Rent if you're interested.

3/5

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode 2

Besides having the longest title ever, it's also one of the funniest games I've played, along with the first episode. The second episode does what you expect from it, more of the same with some improvements,
namely a bit more variety (but just a bit), improving the blocking mechanism to make it easier to know when to block, and continuing the madcap story. I felt it wasn't quite as funny as I remember the first game being, but it's still appropriately riotous at times. If you're not a Penny Arcade fan, there's not much here for you, but if you are, and you liked the first game, you have no reason not to pick this up. Really, this review is kind of pointless as fans will get it and those who don't like Penny Arcade obviously have no business here. My main complaints are that enemies have too many hitpoints and fights take too long without ever really challenging you, apart from the boss battles, making them feel more like a chore. Also, one of the achievements on the 360 is glitched for a lot of people, which kind of sucks.

4/5

Gears of War 2

This probably deserves a full review, but I feel I don't have much to say about this that Jeff hasn't already said, and really, as a Gears fan, you know what to expect. It really is bigger and better. Stunning graphics,
EXPLOSIONS!
EXPLOSIONS!
amazing set pieces, the best co-operative shooter experience I've ever... experienced, as well as a great variety of multiplayer modes. Playing the campaign by myself though, I was not having nearly as much fun as I was when playing it with friends. The co-operative play is the heart of the experience here, as is clearly emphasized by the many opportunities for teamwork in the campaign, and it really just isn't the same by yourself.

5/5 (with the caveat that you're playing the campaign with a buddy)

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By mordecaix7

Good write up!  I do agree, Gears of War 2 is simply amazing :)

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

After playing SM: WoS ...I think you were very generous in what you said about the game. I did not enjoy it at all for the most part.