#1  Edited By 6n00bkilla9
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The game reviewers target audience are "core" gamers, so reviewing them in any other way would be pointless anyway. There may be a market for "casual" games sites, that are targeted to the wii mainstream, but the current games sites are not targeted towards that audience.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

Even games that aren't targeted to "us" get good reviews if they're good games. Spongebob games get decent reviews, but don' believe the writer was stoked about playing it. It is a  problem, but the person that looks at metacritic is the type of person who would agree with Ign and 1up, not the mom shopping at Wal-Mart. 

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By End_Boss

So, the developer in question is complaining because core game reviewers are giving their shovelware bad reviews? I mean. Okay.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By iamjohn

Whiny developer whines about reviews.  News at 11.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By captain_clayman

bad games get bad reviews.

it's that simple.
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Alex_V
@6n00bkilla9 said:
" In this article it states that Wii games shouldn't be reviewed by so called "core" reviews because thats why they get bad scores but I am in the beleif that Wii games are just that mostly bad!
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/19/lost-winds-dev-reviewers-are-a-problem-with-low-wii-metacriti/#commentsYour thoughts: "
Braben is 100% right. There is definitely a problem with this. To be clear, he is not talking about bad games, he is talking about games that are excellently pitched as family-friendly fare. A huge number of Wii games have, in my opinion, received lower average marks simply because they are not post-apocalyptic shooters.

The other big problem is that many Wii titles simply don't get reviewed at all. This isn't always the media's fault, but it doesn't help with consumer choice, which is surely the whole point of having reviews.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Eelcire

So should movie reviewers also be limited in the types of movies they review? If a critic reviews a horror movie, they can't review a kid's movie? As captain_clayman pointed out, bad games [products] get bad reviews.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alex_V
@End_Boss said:
" So, the developer in question is complaining because core game reviewers are giving their shovelware bad reviews? I mean. Okay. "
But Lostwinds isn't 'shovelware' by anyone's definition. The problem is exacerbated if everyone just labels every Wii release as 'shovelware'.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew
EpicSteve said:
" Even games that aren't targeted to "us" get good reviews if they're good games. Spongebob games get decent reviews, but don' believe the writer was stoked about playing it. It is a  problem, but the person that looks at metacritic is the type of person who would agree with Ign and 1up, not the mom shopping at Wal-Mart.  "
Spongebob games? As far as I know, the only major site that bothers with that stuff is IGN. And they review everything, no matter how irrelevant.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Gizmo

Wii games are mostly awful, why bother reviewing them if the target audience doesn't give a crap if it gets a 1/10 or a 10/10?

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alex_V
@Gizmo said:
" Wii games are mostly awful, why bother reviewing them if the target audience doesn't give a crap if it gets a 1/10 or a 10/10? "
Clearly many Wii titles simply do not get reviewed. The target audience cannot give a crap about reviews that don't even exist.

And if some people (me included) feel that there's a systematic bias against games that appeal to a young or casual market, then those reviews that do exist are not going to be as much use anyway.

Which came first? The poorly-pitched or simply non-existent reviews? Or the target audience that ignores them? More importantly, what can be done to break the vicious circle that exists?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

its a waste of time having them reviewed
when they can review something actually worth their time

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By godzilla_sushi

It's just a silly argument.

Kung Fu Panda seems like a pretty good example of a game that was geared towards a difference audience, and did alright critically. It's hard to find reviews that support the notion of a bad game simply being "misunderstood."

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alex_V
@Godzilla_Sushi said:
" It's just a silly argument.Kung Fu Panda seems like a pretty good example of a game that was geared towards a difference audience, and did alright critically. It's hard to find reviews that support the notion of a bad game simply being "misunderstood." "
Nobody has said that any bad games were misunderstood. You seem to be about the tenth person on this thread to completely misrepresent the argument being put forward. Very frustrating.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew
End_Boss said:
" So, the developer in question is complaining because core game reviewers are giving their shovelware bad reviews? I mean. Okay. "
The only person that was actually "complaining" was EA's Peter Moore. I don't think David Breben was referring specifically to LostWinds, because it was actually well-received.

In fact, I don't think Breben was really criticizing anyone. It looks like he's just saying what we all know already: not all Wii games appeal to people like us.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jimbo

I'm sure 'Mom' spends hours checking out review scores on Metacritic and doesn't at all just buy the game with the prettiest box.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By godzilla_sushi
@Alex_V said:
" @Godzilla_Sushi said:
" It's just a silly argument.Kung Fu Panda seems like a pretty good example of a game that was geared towards a difference audience, and did alright critically. It's hard to find reviews that support the notion of a bad game simply being "misunderstood." "
Nobody has said that any bad games were misunderstood. You seem to be about the tenth person on this thread to completely misrepresent the argument being put forward. Very frustrating. "
Maybe semantics confused you?

Do you want me to just delete my comment and leave? This thread did say that core game reviewers aren't doing some games any good based on the audience they targeted right? What did I miss?

Tell me to, and I will happily delete me comment. Now you have me frustrated too.
Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Pantalooney

Casual people don't look at metacritic so who cares.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

I think that David Breben and Peter Moore both have an excellent point.  Look at these forums.  How many of us are "casual" gamers?  How many of us actually give a fuck about Carnival Games coming out for the Wii?  However, look at the sales numbers for that game.  There's just a general difference in thinking between old-school gamers and new-school gamers, so what us "core" gamers think of as a GOOD game isn't the same as what "casual" gamers consider a GOOD game, and vice versa.

Then again, I also think the division of "gamers" at this point is pretty ridiculous.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Godwind
@jakob187 said:
" I think that David Breben and Peter Moore both have an excellent point.  Look at these forums.  How many of us are "casual" gamers?  How many of us actually give a fuck about Carnival Games coming out for the Wii?  However, look at the sales numbers for that game.  There's just a general difference in thinking between old-school gamers and new-school gamers, so what us "core" gamers think of as a GOOD game isn't the same as what "casual" gamers consider a GOOD game, and vice versa.

Then again, I also think the division of "gamers" at this point is pretty ridiculous.
"
I consider myself a casual gamer and I don't give two shits about carnival games.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By damnboyadvance
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Player1
@captain_clayman said:
" bad games get bad reviews.
it's that simple.
"
uh huh. You can't blame the reviewers. If your worried about them not being interested in the game...then stop coming out with games with "wii" in the title that stands for "we". Nothing good can come from that. 
6n00bkilla9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 6n00bkilla9

i'm just saying it doesn't matter the audience the most wii games are bad even my non video game playing  once in a while "causal" girlfriend agreed some of the games were just garbage i mean a games a game its well made or not i mean look at mario gaxley great made game got great scores do you really expect fucking some poor ass game to get the same score because its "mom fun" whatever.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Alex_V
@6n00bkilla9 said:
" i'm just saying it doesn't matter the audience the most wii games are bad even my non video game playing  once in a while "causal" girlfriend agreed some of the games were just garbage i mean a games a game its well made or not i mean look at mario gaxley great made game got great scores do you really expect fucking some poor ass game to get the same score because its "mom fun" whatever. "
Should games that you and your girlfriend consider garbage actually be given the same score as Mario Galaxy? Erm no they shouldn't.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By animateria
Most casual Wii games AREN'T reviewed by enthusiast press, reviewers.

The ones that are reviewed by sites such as GB are generally games that also target the hardcore to a certain extent.

Its pointless for a reviewer of an enthusiast site to review stuff his/her crowd does not care about. And you won't see a lot of reviews on casual games.

Besides to a casual, they purchase games on a whim, something they think they will enjoy by looking at the cover.  Why bother make reviews for those people who aren't going to read? (Unless you target the casual like... whattheyplay.com or something)

If they get into gaming through whatever they played, they might search for an enthusiast site such as GB.

If you only had bad food, you don't care if you have some more of it. If you tasted the truly exquisite food, how can you return to the bad?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_A_Drain

I think what the guy is trying to say is that because the products are aimed at a completely different audience, they are judged by the two different audiences (traditional games media, and soccar mom + children) on completely different standards. Ergo, it's not only pointless to review games, but given you have different standard to the products target market, you are probably not going to like it, it's not really a case of better or worse, but that the target market these games are aimed at doesnt want the same thing as we do, and they may enjoy Wii Fit or Wii Sports, or Carnival Games as much as we would enjoy something like Mass Effect or Bioshock.

In that sense, it would be like a videogames website reviewing a toy, or book, it's simply not a product aimed at them or their viewers/readers, so their review is not only going to be read by people the game isn't even targeted at, but its a waste of the reviewers time to do so (given that he has to keep traffic coming to his website) but the only possible outcome of giving the game a low metacritic score is that (with some publishers) the developers don't get paid bonus. Regardless if the games goes on to sell hella copies (like a lot of casual games do)

So in essence, nobody benefits when traditional videogames websites review products targeted at the casual audience (and when I say casual in this sense I mean soccar moms, families etc, people who play games with their family for a couple hours a week, not solitarily for 5 hours a day like the rest of us, the two different markets and their standards are as similar as chalk and cheese, it's all well and good saying games we like are 'better' but it's not what that market wants)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

What Drain said. As an example, how does someone who hates sports titles review a soccer game? Or, to relate to more people here, how does a fanatic American football fan review a soccer title? Will he "get" the game or simply find it stupid? Will he take the time to see the strategy and skill it may involve or is the core concept so repulsive it will just make no sense? Will he even see the relations to the real sport and make comparisons? It's a similar situation with some of these "casual" Wii games. It's been said already that there are exceptions, but only because they appeal to both casual and core gamers alike. There's also the fact casual "shovelware" was ignored by the media in past generations (I don't recall seeing the PlayStation's Barbie titles in magazine covers or anything, now they're on the front pages of all snarky writers thinking they're being clever). Now the good Wii titles are ignored by many, and shovelware's promoted just to make fun of it. Meh.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Alex_V

It's ironic to see Brad Shoemaker's review for The Legendary Starfy come up on the site. To quote him - "kids will probably eat it right up" etc, and he seems incredibly positive about the game as a children's title. But the game is only given 3 stars, which presumably equates to a lowly 60% on metacritic.