Rise of the Tomb Raider vs Uncharted 4.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Rise of the Tomb Raider vs Uncharted 4. (262 votes)

Rise of the Tomb Raider 9%
Uncharted 4 29%
Both! Loved them equally actually. 9%
Meh, neither. I didn't care for them honestly. 1%
I only played Tomb Raider. I do plan on playing Uncharted 4 though! 10%
I only played Tomb Raider. I have no desire to play Uncharted 4. 6%
I only played Uncharted 4. I still plan on getting around to Tomb Raider. 15%
I only played Uncharted 4. I don't plan on playing Tomb Raider. 2%
I didn't play either one of those, but I still want to for sure! 18%
I didn't play them, and I don't care to. 2%

Honestly, the battle of which is better doesn't really interest me that much despite making this, but I see them as similar enough, and now that they're both out, I felt this would be a good time to make a poll about it; see what you all think. For me personally, Uncharted 4 was better. I liked Rise though. I thought it did what 2013's Tomb Raider did, but better in every respect. 2013 was fine, but it had a lot of aspects that I felt could be better. I probably should play it again at some point, because after I beat Rise of the Tomb Raider, I was done. I collected every collectible along the way, so that kind of lessened my want to go through it again, though it might be fun to play it again on hard; I just wish there was a new game plus, instead of playing the game all over. Now, when I ask which is better, if you will, go into detail with aspects, like story, gameplay; from combat to traversal, characters, music, etc. I think I actually liked Tomb Raider's soundtrack slightly more.

The characters are better in Uncharted, but I think Camilla Luddington does a great job portraying Lara. The combat in funner in Uncharted to me, and though you have the option of what's missing in Uncharted 4, to throw objects to distract enemies, the stealth came up more often to me and the fluidity of it all was really well done. Both games actually, kind of lacked combat time in terms of their length though. I say lack, but I'm not sure I necessarily mean that in a bad way. Traversal; that may go to Tomb Raider, though I really enjoyed the inclusion of the rope, and sliding down the rockery in four was fun to me compared to the usual climbing up rocks. Story, this also has to go to Uncharted. Tomb Raider was pretty basic; very similar to 2013's, but improved through dialogue and voice work in my opinion. I kind of liked what was going on with Lara and that other woman turned bad.

Talking about visuals, both are extremely good looking, but this one goes to Uncharted 4 again. Talking about this, which just popped in my mind, it makes me want to play Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider back to back. I probably won't be doing that, but it's making me want to nonetheless. So, what do you all think? Oh, and how was the DLC for Rise? Did anyone play it? Is it worth getting?

• 
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By NTM

Edit - Shoot, sorry. I should say that there may be possible spoilers!

Hm, can't edit my post. Anyways, I noticed I missed some choices unfortunately, but oh well. Trying to cover all bases. I should also say, when I said I think Uncharted 4 has better visuals, I am only referring to the Xbox One version, which is what I played. I'm sure many can argue that Tomb Raider on PC is better than Uncharted 4's visuals, which may be true. Adding to aspects to compare, how about the games settings, and exploring, as well as enemies/villains?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Both are awesome, and I'd argue that they're far different games. Rise of the Tomb Raider, I wanna explore and collect stuff. Uncharted, I wanna plow through the story.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ivdamke

I've only played Rise of the Tomb Raider and honestly I found it quite boring. It takes forever to get going and the hub world nature they went for only served as a reminder that the mechanics aren't all that great and these games rely almost entirely on spectacle. Worse than that was the story which was filled with uninteresting characters, predictable plot lines and an overly serious tone that just caused me to disengage with it entirely.

I also don't understand the praise for it's visuals either. Outside of cut scenes it looks like a regular ass video game, and I was playing it maxed on PC. I'll give the cut scenes the credit they're due as they do look fantastic but the actual game itself was average to good for the most part with the occasional 'ugh that looks bad' moments.

By the time I put that game down (didn't even finish it) I felt like I had played a linear Ubisoft open world checklist. It was no more engaging than your average Assassins Creed, which is a real shame.

I will be getting Uncharted 4 down the line as I think the Uncharted games do pretty much everything I listed better than the Tomb Raider games. With that being said though, they still don't do it that much better that I want to pay full price for them, especially now that I've seen some of the melee Naughty Dog injected into UC4 that shit looks like hot garbage.

EDIT: I also really dislike new Lara, she sounds vapid and incompetent almost all the time. It's a combination of Camilla's delivery on top of how the writers frame her to be entirely void of confidence.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: No argument about it really, though I do think they're comparable enough in many aspects to make this poll, and discuss.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Haven't played it yet but I look forward to playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. I loved the 2012 reboot. I have no interest in Uncharted 4 any more than I just like Nolan North and Troy Baker (but that's not enough of a reason to try the game).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tomb Raider cause it's on PC if uncharted 4 was on PC I play it but I don't play consoles anymore.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: It is nice to see how they've diverged, with Uncharted originally being Dude Raider.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved both, but for different reasons. Didn't really care much about the story for Rise (although it wasn't bad) but I loved the way it played and thoroughly enjoyed the combat. Didn't like the combat that much in Uncharted 4 (although it wasn't bad), but really enjoyed the characters and story.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Rise of the Tomb Raider was great!

Uncharted 4 is great!

Video Games are great!

I'd like to see more Tomb Raider. Uncharted is done now. I'd like to see what Naughty Dog does next because MAN, do they make some cinematic games, both in action sequences and just generally.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played rise yet, but if tomb raider 2013 while a good game never held a candle to any uncharted game. Uncharted 4 is pretty good but i'm not sure if i'm loving the writing as much as everybody else seems to.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Both are great. They're different enough that it's worth playing both.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have Uncharted 4 installed but I'm currently on a roll with Witcher 3 AND I CAN'T STOP.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'm not quite finished Uncharted 4 (80% or so), but so far it just seems like more Uncharted. It looks amazing, it runs well, but I just don't care about exploring the environments. That was what I loved about Rise of the Tomb Raider, everything had a bit of story attached it, and I loved learning more about the environment by finding things. Uncharted is probably a better overall game, but it hasn't grabbed me the way Tomb Raider did.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By oraknabo

I never played Rise of the Tomb Raider because I have no XBONE and while it might play OK on my PC, I was going to wait to see how the PS4 version is received before deciding on a version. I'm a huge fan of the first 2 Eidos Tomb Raiders and even like the Crystal Dynamics ones from before the reboot pretty well, but I really didn't like the reboot with its lack of tombs and heavy focus on combat and cinematic sequences. I'll probably play it at some point, but my experience with the last one mostly killed my enthusiasm for the series.

I never had a PS3, so I missed the other Uncharteds (and never picked up the HD collection), but I've been aware of the criticisms of those concerning basically the same things I didn't like about the TR reboot. I did play and enjoy The Last of Us and its DLC, so I decided to give Uncharted 4 a try and I've actually enjoyed it a lot.

I still don't think either of these series come close to capturing what was so great about the first 2 Tomb Raiders and I wish they relied less on killing waves of people, but I can concede that both are very well crafted games that deserve to be experienced.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played UC4 yet but from what I hear the gameplay isn't much better than past games. I always thought the gameplay in UC was bad and I prefer the gameplay in the new Tomb Raider games by a wide margin

If I ever get a PS4 I'll definitely blow through UC4 but I expect I'll still like Tomb Raider more

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Same here. I love both games, but for different reasons; I enjoyed Rise for its gameplay and Uncharted 4 for its story/spectacle. And I don't mean either game is better at either thing; they're just both fantastic games doing different things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's Uncharted, no question.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed my time with Rise last year (one of the two games that made me glad to have bought Xbone...) and near 100% it, which doesn't really happen for me. That said, Uncharted raises the graphical bar way higher and the story, characters 'n all that stomps Rise to the ground. Gameplay wise, I kinda enjoyed both equally and didn't have a problem, but then again, I'm apparently just better at playing video games than most people here on the forums and in the Bomb crew!

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played Rise but I just got it and am excited to play through both back to back. It's funny to hear the guys on the beastcast talk about how everything crumbles in Uncharted because so far every time Lara is standing on anything it crumbles.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will definitely play RotTR when it finally comes to ps4.... Unless it's 60 dollars, then fuck that. Itll be a year old at that point and should be priced accordingly, regardless of it being new to the platform.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise of the Tombraider has much better gameplay but Uncharted actually has an story and Characters that you can enjoy and i usually prefer that more than pure gameplay so Uncharted 4 it is for me. Naughty Dog really should make an adventure game instead though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Humanity

I haven't beaten Uncharted 4 yet, I'm on chapter 12 or so, but so far the spectacle is a lot better but the shooting is pretty bad. It's been a while since I've played a third person shooter where I just did not like the shooting a single bit. It feels loose and still a bit too spongy while Drake himself should be able to take a few more hits before going down.

While the climbing often has better set-piece moments than Tomb Raider did, it's also very uninvolved and aiming Drakes "hands" for where to jump to next remains a bit finicky.

I like them both for different reasons but Tomb Raider for me was a much better game to PLAY while Uncharted is a better experience, although in that regard Rise was no slouch either.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: Thats not how pricing work. If they think they can get people to buy it for $60 they will price it like that no matter how old you consider it to be.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BoOzak

I would have chosen Tomb Raider but there's one thing that bothered me throughout (and it was the same way in Quantom Break) and that's pinging for collectables. They're scattered everywhere and often times (quite literally) buried in the enviroment. Which led to me doing that stupid pulse thing hundreds of times. Nothing hurts pace and flow like that shit.

Although Uncharted had these quasi playable brawls and events that might as well have been QTE's and cutscenes (I would have rathered that to be honest) which coupled with the prelonged walk and talk risk free platforming made me never want to play through the story again. I know other Uncharted games are this way but this one felt bloated for some reason.

Despite all that I enjoyed both games a great deal it's just these nagging issues keep me from loving them.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Marz

I enjoyed Tomb Raider's combat and upgrade systems more than what's available in uncharted 4. But I still I really like Uncharted 4 because it's just damn fun and I've grown attached to the characters and their banter.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By csl316

@boozak: Pinging for collectibles damn near ruined both games for me. People say "oh, just don't do it." But I can't just not do it.

It seems they want to avoid Batman's problem of playing the whole game in detective vision but eh... just game design better.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By RiotControl

I'm half-way through UC4 now and thus far, I haven't really enjoyed it that much. I'm going to stick with Tomb Raider as being better unless Uncharted 4 starts getting amazing throughout its second half. I'll update this post when I finish it.

Actually, this is pretty much the only site where I feel even remotely comfortable actually sharing my opinion on UC4. It kind of feels good to let it out after holding back on Twitter and other gaming sites to avoid the inevitable borderline harassment that'll get thrown my way.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Uncharted is better for Tomb Raiding/Treasure Hunting, Tomb Raider is better for murdering people gleefully.

KittenTactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love both series! They are two of my favorites, and both characters are two of my favorites as well! I loved both games, but neither one of them quite lived up to my hopes. Uncharted 4 is the better game, and the one I will spend more time with, but it has lower lows to go with its higher highs. Rise is pretty solid all the way until the final encounter.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm half-way through UC4 now and thus far, I haven't really enjoyed it that much. I'm going to stick with Tomb Raider as being better unless Uncharted 4 starts getting amazing throughout its second half. I'll update this post when I finish it.

Actually, this is pretty much the only site where I feel even remotely comfortable actually sharing my opinion on UC4. It kind of feels good to let it out after holding back on Twitter and other gaming sites to avoid the inevitable borderline harassment that'll get thrown my way.

Hey its cool! I've personally always thought Uncharted was a little overhyped. They were games that did some things really well and other things not that well, but everyone always overlooked the bad parts.

After playing some more I can say that I honestly really dislike the shooting in this game to the point where I actually dread any combat situations because I think it feels that bad. Tomb Raider had really good combat with a lot of options that felt snappy, precise and responsive. Uncharted 4 continues this tradition of shooting human sandbags, and I don't know if this is new or if it has always been like this but I feel like it's really difficult to aim properly. I'm having a real hard time pulling headshots off reliably and bullets seem to just go everywhere.

I think the shooting in Uncharted 4 is downright bad and has not evolved with the times. Which is a shame because there are plenty of moments during the exploration parts where it's just like "wow" this sequence was really amazing. The camera work is often breathtaking and during action sequences completely on-point showing you the best possible angles while keeping the action going. That chase sequence on the bike against the armored truck they showed at E3? It is spectacular and feels just like an action movie not to mention that it all looks like a pre-rendered cutscene but is running real time at a super smooth framerate.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Couldn't get myself to play another hour of RotTR (put in 7 total). I thought the writing and story was just atrocious.

By default I have to go with Uncharted since I'm actually enjoying that game (albeit, they're not my favorite games, but I at least enjoy it more than TR).

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't get myself to play another hour of RotTR (put in 7 total). I thought the writing and story was just atrocious.

Both the new Tomb Raiders story's were really bad. I got through the first one because I loved the gameplay. The sequel got tiresome, for me, when the armored guys got introduced that would just rush at you and sponge up your bullets.

I would say Uncharted is better for the story and Tomb Raider for the gameplay. But overall I'd go with Uncharted.

wolfskind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wolfskind

@handlas said:

I would say Uncharted is better for the story and Tomb Raider for the gameplay.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

Uncharted feels like a playable movie, bombastic action, fantastic set pieces, nice characters. When Uncharted works, it`s a lot of fun, but when it fails, it fails really really hard. The gameplay can't keep up with this stuff. I can't count the number of times I missed a jump or didn't realise there's an enemy right behind me and it felt so frustrating. Not just because I think the gameplay feels "oldish" and replaying parts isn't fun as a result but also because it breaks the flow. Kinda like a malfunctioning DVD or freezing video stream.

Tomb Raider (and by that I mean the reboot, not RotTR, since I still have to play that once it releases on PS4) felt different. The characters were kinda meh, the story telling/pacing was okay, the set pieces were good, but not great. Still, I loved the first (new) game for how it played. Especially the bow. Putting arrows into dudes is so satisfying.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked RotTR, but it never really landed as hard as Uncharted 4. I felt like I was running around in the Snow at the Russian camps for way too long, and besides Laura I found it hard to like a lot of the characters. They all felt like very by the books Hollywood types. There were a few great septic moments, but near the end there were a lot of story and gameplay elements that I found irritating and disappointing (see my other thread somewhere on here where I discuss it at length). Though I'm not finished with this Uncharted yet, I'm not really experiencing any of those things (though they may be coming still) but I did like the first three a great deal and thought 2 and 3 were better than RotTR. I don't mean to sound like I hated Tomb Raider, I really did think it was very good; I just had more problems with it sooner into the game than I have with Uncharted 4 so far (I'm at chapter 14).

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an interesting comparison. When Rise came out, the rhetoric was that it out-Uncharted, Uncharted. Now that UC4 is out, I think the pendulum has swung back the other direction. Where I think UC4 wins is in the characters and their interactions with each other. It's truly incredible. There are layers of subtlety in how Nathan interacts with Sam and Elena that I don't think has ever been pulled off in video games before. You can gauge the characters feelings from their speech patterns and facial expressions, and you can see nuanced emotions that they have but don't overtly express. I credit that mostly to a great script and voice talent. Both games have great visuals, but I'd give the slight nod to UC4. One thing that I was continually impressed by was the animation transitions. No matter what position you but Nathan in, his next move looks natural. Regarding the combat, I like some of the environmental interactions in UC4, but for pure shooting Rise wins. Crafting your own arrows and bombs was cool too. Both great games that anyone should play but I'm going with UC4.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Playing a bit more UC4 last night, I think that Tomb Raider handles collectibles a lot better. Each collectible in TR has a small story attached to it, a small bit of detail for you to find. I also think that TR is the better playing game. UC4 feels pretty tight, but I enjoyed the actions in TR more. TR has a decent enough story and does good characterisation, but this is where UC4 shines. Naughty Dog, in the Uncharted series and with The Last Of Us have done the best job at humanising their games characters out of any games that I have ever played. Chapter 4 in UC4 may be my moment of the year, and it's not even an action sequence. Both games have their merits. I think UC4 is a better presented final product, but TR is a better 'game' in the sense of how it plays (not that UC4 plays badly). If I was ranking them, I'd put TR higher than UC4 at the moment, but I'm only about half way through UC4 so that may swing back the other way.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I finished Uncharted 4. Didn't change my mind about it. I had a huge post laying out what I thought was wrong, but I just don't want to get into it. I think they failed at making Uncharted like the Last of Us and consequentially failed the Uncharted side of the game as well. That's about the summary of it.

I also think that a year from now we'll see a lot more contrarian voices much like what happened with Uncharted 3. I think I'll just wait to voice my opinions then.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Only played Tomb Raider, probably only will ever play Tomb Raider. It has more to do with the fact I got on the ground floor with that series and was more of a bystander to most of Uncharted.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I finished Uncharted 4. Didn't change my mind about it. I had a huge post laying out what I thought was wrong, but I just don't want to get into it. I think they failed at making Uncharted like the Last of Us and consequentially failed the Uncharted side of the game as well. That's about the summary of it.

I also think that a year from now we'll see a lot more contrarian voices much like what happened with Uncharted 3. I think I'll just wait to voice my opinions then.

Just going off of the general flow of opinions for the Uncharted series as a whole, this is more or less bound to happen. For whatever reason, the games begin to experience more and more backlash as time goes on. I personally don't have much stake in the matter, but its an amusing trend.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 4 had the better presentation, pacing and story but Tomb Raider played better. Every time Nathan drake had to find another way round or just happened to stumble across a crate I died a little bit inside. Overall Uncharted 4 was more thrilling but Tomb Raider had the better gameplay overall

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@riotcontrol said:

Just going off of the general flow of opinions for the Uncharted series as a whole, this is more or less bound to happen. For whatever reason, the games begin to experience more and more backlash as time goes on. I personally don't have much stake in the matter, but its an amusing trend.

Uncharted 2 is still primarily beloved far as I can tell. Drake's Fortune has aged really poorly yes, but Uncharted 3... well, there was already some dissent surrounding that one upon its release. It wasn't a slow burn of a backlash, it was somewhat divisive from the get-go.