Rock Band/World Tour questions

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By samcotts

1. Are there many differences between the first Rock Band and Guitar Hero World Tour, and which one is better?

2. Is Rock Band 2 that much better then the original, or are they pretty much the same?

3. Are all Rock Band downloadable songs available for the first Rock Band, or are some only compatible with Rock Band 2?

4. Are any of these games actually worth the ridiculous prices?

I ask because here in the UK, Rock Band 2 isn't out yet for the PS3, and I can't decide if I should wait a few months for Rock Band 2 (no release date has even been set), buy the original Rock Band or buy World Tour. Suggestions?
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hexpane

RB and RB2 are my most played PS3 games.  The drums IMO make the game.  RB2 is much better than the original because Solo and Group modes are combined for unlocking songs, + added challenges and other stuff but mostly the tour mode revamp is what makes it so much better, no more linear unlocking.  Also the menu in RB2 is vastly improved, which sounds minor but for choosing songs re: choose your own set list, it matters.

I don't have the RB2 instruments so no comment on those.

All RB DLC is compatible w/ either game.   RB2 songs can only be had w/ the RB2 disc, you can not dl RB2 songs w/ RB1.

Guitar Hero was originally made by Harmonix, now Harmonix makes RB.  The people making GH are a bunch of souless suits who do not have their hearts in the music like Harmonix.  The graphics in GHWT IMO are also a fucking joke, looks like bad Tony Hawk characters.

The bottom line is which set lists do you prefer?  If you are into generic hair metal and white trash music, GHWT is more for you.  IMO RB has a much more thoughtful set list.  On the other hand if you are into more challenging guitar songs, GHWT is probably for you.

Personally I vastly prefer drumming in videogames.  I play guitar in real life and find the guitar controllers unrealistic and a bit boring, albeit more difficult because it's hard to slide up and down on a plastic neck. 

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JohnDudebro
Please disregard the above post.

World Tour is probably better than Rock Band 1. It's Rock Band 2 it's more comparable to, and the two are pretty similar. There are some cool features in each one that the other doesn't have, but in the end it should come down to which one's setlist you like more.

Once you get up to Expert, the differences between how the two games chart songs will start to matter, and which you prefer on that front will matter more. But for the first three difficulties it really just comes down to which songs you'd rather play.

I'd say buy the World Tour band kit now, buy the Rock Band 2 disc when it comes out, and use the GH instruments to play both. If you can afford it, there's no reason not to own both games.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hexpane
BananaKid said:
"
Please disregard the above post.

n the end it should come down to which one's setlist you like more.
"
Uhh I stated it's all about which setlist you like, but nice job trying to troll/flame my post
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hexpane

Furthermore, you can see in the reviews what many of the differences are....

Closing Comments
Guitar Hero World Tour is a fun title, to be sure, but it's also a disappointment in a lot of respects. A number of things it tries to accomplish were already done better in Rock Band, which you might figure would have provided a simple blueprint to be followed and expanded upon, but that's not the case. The music creation tools are a great idea in theory, but the end result isn't as robust as I would have hoped it would be, both in terms of abilities as well as the songs that come out the other end.

The game does have a good bit going for it and can serve to act as a stepping-off point for next year's game, whatever form that might take. Unfortunately, I thought the same of Guitar Hero III, and here we are.

IGN Ratings for Guitar Hero World Tour (X360)
RatingDescription
out of 10click here for ratings guide
7.0Presentation
The customization stuff is quite good, but there are a lot of nagging issues pretty much everywhere.
7.0Graphics
The character detail is good, though the included character designs are somewhat fugly. But there are lots of texture spots that just look bad and blurry.
8.0Sound
The soundtrack is awesome, of course, but the output of the music creator is pretty bad.
8.0Gameplay
The note tracking is loose, which I dig, but the transcription is poor at times. The main mode isn't deep at all.
8.0Lasting Appeal
The downloadable content support will make or break this score, but outlook is promising. The online stuff can be fun, but the created music will get old fast as the sound quality sucks.
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By samcotts

I'm a HUGE fan of The Killers I should point out, and that does play a major part in which game I will go for.

World Tour -
Mr. Brightside
Losing Touch
Human

Rock Band -
When You Were Young (Disc)
Mr. Brightside
Spaceman
Smile Like You Mean It

The Rock Band Killers' tracks are way better. 1-0 to Rock Band.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

1. The two games are different, and Rock Band 2 is better because it has a wider music library, better songs, and better interface.

2. Rock Band 2 has so many improvements here and there that it makes it worth the money, yes.

3. RB songs go both ways for both games.

4. Yes.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By samcotts

I guess a better question would be, what's better, the first Rock Band or World Tour? (not taking the track lists into consideration)

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24

World Tour if that is the question. Still, wait a little while for Rock Band 2. It is better than both in many ways.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By samcotts

I'm still completely stuck. Rock Band has a slightly better track list and will be slightly cheaper I believe, whereas World Tour is the better music game, going by what has been said so far.

Any more input from anyone?
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By samcotts

I hate to bump threads, but I'll be buying one of these games today and I'm still stuck on which to go for.