#1 Edited by marshall006 (37 posts) -

<p>Hey for all you that have played gta iv and red dead redemption are those games currently or were they ever worth buying just for the multiplayer NOT single player. thanks in advance</p>

#2 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -

I'd say no, honestly the MP in those were always kind of shit and I'm guessing completely dead at this point.

#3 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

Nah. The multiplayer in RDR is just so-so and same with GTA IV. But if you can get some friends for GTA then it can really be an awesomely fun time.

#4 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2810 posts) -

I disagree very much with Azteck and found the GTAIV and RDR multiplayer really, really excellent. Worth it for just that though? Weird question. Depends. But I doubt it. Maybe for 20 bucks each.. but at this point the community will obviously have thinned so.. yeah.

#5 Edited by TheHT (10262 posts) -

Nope. The strong part of those games is the single-player. Multiplayer was always meh. Red Dead had more enjoyable multiplayer though. You and a group of friends riding around taking out AI on horseback. Was fun for a bit, but not worth buying the game for.

#6 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

i would say that they're probably dead as it's been a few years the games have been out. it's what happens with a lot of console games, they die when a new game comes out.

#7 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Nope. But the singleplayer is definitely worth it.

#8 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

I disagree very much with Azteck and found the GTAIV and RDR multiplayer really, really excellent. Worth it for just that though? Weird question. Depends. But I doubt it. Maybe for 20 bucks each.. but at this point the community will obviously have thinned so.. yeah.

Yeah I gotta agree. Both can actually be quite fun, given you are interested in putting in some work. I had quite a bit of fun in Red Dead just playing TDM and that sort of thing. And if you have friends to mess around in GTA IV with, you can come up with really fun things to do.

Not an easy no brainer recommendation, but there is fun to be had.

#9 Edited by Seppli (9730 posts) -

I played quite a lot of GTA IV's multiplayer. Didn't in a long time, but I enjoyed it a lot when I did. Dunno if there's much of a community for it now. It would take a little more decisive gamedesign - and a little less player freedom - to make it really stand-out as something I'd enjoy longterm. There's limited appeal in losing a race, because of a twisted wheelcage blocking my wheel - it's awesome that it's a possibility, but at some point this type of stuff gets too random for my taste.

Red Dead Redemption didn't do it for me, but that doesn't say much, since the *online shooter* space is reigned by Battlefield - as far as I'm concerned. I've yet to see anyone pull off what DICE does, when it comes to large scale high fidelity interactive online multiplayer playgrounds. Since nothing compares, it's what I stick with. Other multiplayer shooter experiences have very small windows of opportunity to capture my attention, and thus far nothing compares.

Here's me hoping GTA V will make multiplayer more of a game, and less of an utter chaos simulation. Simple twists like adding a *reset button* to get back on track in a competitive manner after a total screw-up - that'd be swell. At least for game modes - like races - that are the most fun to me, if I play them for the win, and are suited for *more definition and playability by gamedesign and restriction*. Unless the pursuit of winning remains at the forefront throughout, even after I drive my car over a cliff by accident - or some random turd decides the game is about screwing objective-driven players over, rather than doing your best to win it for yourself.

#10 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

Only single player for pretty much any Rockstar game.

#11 Edited by BaneFireLord (2877 posts) -

Nope. The multiplayer is fun to dick around in for a while, but that's not the draw of those games.