FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ
From Eurogamer:

Two former Bondi staffers, speaking to Eurogamer sister site Gamesindustry.biz under condition of anonymity, claim Rockstar's relationship with Team Bondi reached such a low point during the course of the creation of 1940s crime adventure L.A. Noire that it now has "disdain" for the Australian developer.

As a result, Rockstar will not publish Team Bondi's next game, the former staff members claimed.

The explosive comments follow last month's allegations over brutal working conditions at the Australian developer, and in particular L.A. Noire writer and director Brendan McNamara's controversial management style.

"I've heard a lot about Rockstar's disdain for Team Bondi, and it has been made quite clear that they will not publish Team Bondi's next game," a source said.

"Team Bondi are trying to find another publisher for their next title, but the relationship with Rockstar has been badly damaged - Brendan treats L.A. Noire like a success due to his vision but I think Rockstar are the ones who saved the project. They continued to sink money into L.A. Noire, and their marketing was fantastic. Without their continued support, Team Bondi would have gone under several years ago."

The International Game Developers Association is investigating Team Bondi following last month's revelations.

Developers were reportedly asked to work 110-hour weeks during crunch periods, often without overtime pay. Studio boss Brendan McNamara was accused of being abusive to staff, while 130 developers have complained of being left off the game's credits.

Continued GI's sources: "Rockstar also made a huge contribution to the development; their producers were increasingly influential over the last two years of the game's development, and overruled many of the insane decisions made by Team Bondi management.

"At a lower level, Rockstar also pitched in with programmers, animators, artists, QA, etc. Part of the conflict between Team Bondi and Rockstar was due to Rockstar's frustration with Team Bondi's direction, and eventually Team Bondi's management in turn resented Rockstar for taking lots of creative control.

"It's also worth pointing out that Rockstar used to be very keen on making Team Bondi something like 'Rockstar Sydney' - the more they worked with Team Bondi management, the more they came to understand that this was a terrible idea."

Emails sent by McNamara and other Team Bondi managers to the development team, revealed today, expose the true nature of the troubled relationship between the two companies.

So basically, Rockstar hates Team Bondi because their management was abysmal and Team Bondi began to despise Rockstar because, as a result of their terrible management, Rockstar needed to assume more and more creative control over the project. Rockstar owns the L.A. Noire IP, by the way, so without Rockstar's cooperation, Team Bondi's next game is unable to be a sequel (or prequel).

I give a sarcastic "Good Luck" towards Team Bondi to find another publisher because with all of the bad press the company has been getting recently combined with the fact that they have a "special" way to manage their team, making for a long development cycle among other negatives, I'm interested in seeing if they'll crash and burn or not. 

[I originally saw this on NeoGAF] 

There's more info at the original source: gameindustry.biz. One interesting part about the game's open world: 

"We barely had any animators for such a long time, it was crazy. People have mentioned how the open world in L.A. Noire is wasted because the world is so boring. The reason was because no animators wanted to work at Team Bondi.There was no Lead Animator from January 2008 until the end of the game, and for large parts of production we only had one animator working on gameplay animations (any others were doing cinematic animations). This meant that there was no way to add life to the world. It's a perfect example of why staff retention is important, was ignored by the leads at Team Bondi, and the game suffered for it."

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

That's great news. L.A. Noire was a good game, but that stiff dry gameplay is not what i look for in Rockstar games 
 I'm glad LA Noire 2 won't have the R* logo on the box, lets let it die 

Edit: Oh right.. R* own the rights to the game. well, nuts

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

@FluxWaveZ said:

I'm interested in seeing if they'll crash and burn or not.

They undoubtedly will.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Zimbo

-Rockstar also made a huge contribution to the development; their producers were increasingly influential over the last two years of the game's development, and overruled many of the insane decisions made by Team Bondi management.

I think this was quite clear. The game certainly adopted many of the features, controls and just the overall feel of Rockstars other open world games. Its a shame that Team Bondi has such bad management. They seem like a skilled studio.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iamjohn

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

That's great news. L.A. Noire was a good game, but that stiff dry gameplay is not what i look for in Rockstar games I'm glad LA Noire 2 won't have the R* logo on the box, lets let it die

Someone didn't read the thread... and also has very strange opinions on what a Rockstar game "needs" to be.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Snipzor

Considering Team Bondi's outrageously awful reputation, I doubt they'd last much longer. How long did it take for them to get a lead animator again?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

I'm glad LA Noire 2 won't have the R* logo on the box, lets let it die

Actually, if it ever exists, it most definitely will since R* owns the rights... Unless you were implying that they should just never make another one. But hey, with it being solely a R* joint and not a Team Bondi one they could make so many improvements to the first title.
Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By Quesa

Considering Rockstar probably got the most useful thing out of them (the face-camera tech), and Team Bondi was horribly managed, I can't see Rockstar being anything but happy dumping what is by now a toxic asset.

ZedNotZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZedNotZee

I'm sure as long as they get to take the face mapping tech with them, that they will get the pick of any publisher out there.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sooty
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

but that stiff dry gameplay is not what i look for in Rockstar games

Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV were both pretty stiff though and L.A. Noire played much the same when it came to the shooting/movement.

Old GTA games were a bit too loose, GTA IV was too stiff. They need a middle ground like Infamous or Just Cause 2, they control well.
phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By phish09

Meh...that's all hearsay.  I'll believe it when Rockstar formally announces that they are parting ways with a studio that just made them a shitload of money.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@iAmJohn said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

That's great news. L.A. Noire was a good game, but that stiff dry gameplay is not what i look for in Rockstar games I'm glad LA Noire 2 won't have the R* logo on the box, lets let it die

Someone didn't read the thread... 

guilty! i'll read it now :3  

@Ygg

said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV were both pretty stiff though and L.A. Noire played much the same when it came to the shooting/movement.  
oooo....kayyy.....i'll just.... ummm... 
*backs out of the frame slowly*
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@phish09 said:

Meh...that's all hearsay.  I'll believe it when Rockstar formally announces that they are parting ways with a studio that just made them a shitload of money.

Actually, from the article, it seems maintaining Team Bondi cost them a lot of money. The sales from L.A. Noire most definitely come from the R* logo on the box and not from Team Bondi branding. Plus, the game wasn't even as successful as RDR.
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dylabaloo

Hopefully Rockstar decides to create an L.A Noire 2 in house and some Team Bondi folk jump ship to Rockstar, however Australia is a long way from any other Rockstar Studio. Either way best of luck to all those people who put hard work into making L.A Noire

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Ygg
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Old GTA games were a bit too loose, GTA IV was too stiff. They need a middle ground like Infamous or Just Cause 2, they control well.
Infamous is a prime example of how an open world game should actually feel open world. Fantastic controls.
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coakroach

Wow Team Bondi is getting eviscerated, I was hoping L.A. Noire's success would help the development scene in Australia.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Subjugation

Karma win. Let that be a lesson to them.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NekuSakuraba

What did Team Bondi do wrong besides make an amazing game?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iamjohn

@NekuSakuraba said:

Did you not read the story IGN Australia posted last week, or the OP? It's no secret that LA Noire's development was a complete shit show and that Brendan McNamara is kind of a tool.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@iAmJohn said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Did you not read the story IGN Australia posted last week, or the OP? It's no secret that LA Noire's development was a complete shit show and that Brendan McNamara is kind of a tool.

I read the OP but not the IGN article, do you have a link?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn

@NekuSakuraba said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1178844p1.html

http://t.co/eF9O0Sm is also an excellent article, but you need to register to read it.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By buzz_killington

This is not a fact. It's just speculation on part of former employees. Sam Houser, one of the presidents at Rockstar, recently gave an interview basically saying Team Bondi's style was right up their alley.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@buzz_killington said:
This is not a fact. It's just speculation on part of former employees. Sam Houser, one of the presidents at Rockstar, recently gave an interview basically saying Team Bondi's style was right up their alley.
Do you have a link?
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn

@buzz_killington said:

Define recently. Something tells me that if you're the head of a company who has just spent hundreds of millions of dollars on developing a game, you're not going to talk shit about it or its creator while you're trying to sell copies. Really, what's more believable here: the corporate mouthpiece, or the numerous instances of people reportedly close to the project who have been coming out for months saying that developing the game was a nightmare thanks in no part to Team Bondi management and that Rockstar was assigning teams like Leeds and North to help make side-missions and populate the world with shit because Team Bondi didn't do it?

Or, to put it another way: why are you so quick to defend them here?

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By buzz_killington
@FluxWaveZ said:
@buzz_killington said:
Do you have a link?
Quote from the IGN article, in context of the practices employed at Team Bondi:

Rockstar's Sam Houser, he told us, can also make the same requests of his teams. "I've been doing it for a long time," he continued, "and it seems to have worked so far for me."

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By Yanngc33

@Snipzor said:

Considering Team Bondi's outrageously awful reputation, I doubt they'd last much longer. How long did it take for them to get a lead animator again?

I don't think that Bondi will outright die, I think that whomever owns them should replace the douchebag they have as boss (forgot his name, the bald guy)

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iamjohn

@buzz_killington: Uh... that's McNamara saying that the Housers run Rockstar that way so it's fine for him to run Team Bondi that way.

@Yanngc33 said:

@Snipzor said:

I don't think that Bondi will outright die, I think that whomever owns them should replace the douchebag they have as boss (forgot his name, the bald guy)

The bald guy owns them.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@buzz_killington said: 
Quote from the IGN article, in context of the practices employed at Team Bondi:

Rockstar's Sam Houser, he told us, can also make the same requests of his teams. "I've been doing it for a long time," he continued, "and it seems to have worked so far for me."

Dude, I think you better read that article again and actually determine who's the one talking here (hint: It's not Sam Houser).
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By buzz_killington
@FluxWaveZ: Upon further investigation, you are right. I misread the thing.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iamjohn

What, do I just not fucking exist or something? >:(

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@iAmJohn said:

What, do I just not fucking exist or something? >:(

Ha.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bybeach

Too bad, I found LA Noire to be worth it's money. Rockstar has had it's critics, but especially since they own the IP, I wish they could buy Team Bondi and make some assholes dissapear. But hen overall I am one of them union loving pro-labor guys. People forget...

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sirdesmond

@FluxWaveZ said:

I give a sarcastic "Good Luck" towards Team Bondi to find another publisher because with all of the bad press the company has been getting recently combined with the fact that they have a "special" way to manage their team, making for a long development cycle among other negatives, I'm interested in seeing if they'll crash and burn or not.

This is pretty much my opinion on the entire manner. The head guy over at Bondi seems like a tool that needs to learn a lesson. I am interested to see how this will affect the future of L.A. Noire as a franchise (which I'm sure Rockstar is planning).

DoNotBanMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DoNotBanMe

good i wanna see this development team go down the shitter

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iam3green

well that sucks. the game looks great, i watched my friend play it all the time. some places employment is horrible sometimes.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SomeJerk

Good, games with uncomfortably poor replay-value do not fit the RockStar label, and I'm the kind of guy who put months of playtime into GTA4.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Slaker117

LA Noire's development woes have certainly been interesting. I'm really curious as to what the game would have looked like if Rockstar had not stepped in.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By FireBurger

I'm not upset by this. While Bondi had some good ideas (the face tech), the game just did nothing for me. I would only be interested in another Noire if R* revamped it seriously.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By Hizang

I don't want L.A. Noire 2 same as I don't want Heavy Rain 2, so I am not saddend by this news.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Portis

Oh shit, I never realized that Rockstar owned the L.A. Noire IP. I always thought Team Bondi did.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By 234r2we232
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
That's great news. L.A. Noire was a good game, but that stiff dry gameplay is not what i look for in Rockstar games 
Sarcasm?
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aetheldod

Deeply disliked La Noir , wonder if the game flaws were caused by all this  , and if it did exactly what parts were contested , but probably we will never know. By the way GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption are awesome games , you people are crazy I say

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By napalm

I like how nobody payed attention to any of this when the game came out and now everybody wants to act like they give a shit.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chrissedoff
@Hizang said:
I don't want L.A. Noire 2 same as I don't want Heavy Rain 2, so I am not saddend by this news.
that's a low blow. l.a. noire was a lot more interesting the piece of shit that is heavy rain
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Napalm said:
I like how nobody payed attention to any of this when the game came out and now everybody wants to act like they give a shit.
What are you talking about? This all started with the IGN exposé and that's when people started "giving a shit". It's not as if we knew a ton about this even before that article was posted.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Karl_Boss

Serves Team Bondi right.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Hizang
@chrissedoff
@Hizang said:
that's a low blow. l.a. noire was a lot more interesting the piece of shit that is heavy rain
I enjoyed Heavy Rain more than L.A. Noire..
phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By phantomzxro
@Ygg said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV were both pretty stiff though and L.A. Noire played much the same when it came to the shooting/movement.  Old GTA games were a bit too loose, GTA IV was too stiff. They need a middle ground like Infamous or Just Cause 2, they control well.

I beg to differ i think each game still had it problems but red dead felt the best in my mind as a third person shooter made by rockstar. LA Noire shares many of the same controls tech that other rockstar games but it was by far not the focus and it shows. Not even having a clear and easy way to pull out your gun or putting it away shows this. It pretty weird randomly picking up guns and then just dropping them when you change your gun. the cover system was the worst out of all recent rockstar games. People don't react to where you shoot them and you can't shoot someone and take him down alive which seemed very weird to me. Again i understand the focus was not on combat so i don't knock LA noire to harshly for it but the other rockstar games did control steps better in terms of combat.
leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By leebmx
@NekuSakuraba said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Try this: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-07-05-revealed-the-internal-emails-that-provoked-whistle-blowing-at-team-bondi-blog-entry?page=1