• 61 results
#1 Posted by Excast (895 posts) -

Really sad news.

He recently announced he was cutting back on his work schedule due to a recurrence of the cancer that cost him part of his jaw. Seems like it took him very quickly this time.

#2 Edited by csl316 (8354 posts) -

Oh damn, I love Ebert. Sad times. But do you have a source?

#3 Posted by Nightriff (4972 posts) -

Source?

#4 Edited by Excast (895 posts) -

Just saw it as the header on CNN.com

There isn't an article on it yet.

#5 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (452 posts) -

Source?

This.

But also if it is true, that's really sad. A lot of gamer's hated him for what he sad (games aren't art BS) but, I think given a little more time he would had took back what he said.

#6 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3846 posts) -

Sad day :( didn't always agree with him but he was one of the few critics I paid attention to. RIP

#7 Posted by Nev (544 posts) -
#8 Posted by Thanatos3 (80 posts) -

Jeez this just happened too. That's too bad.

#9 Edited by FengShuiGod (1480 posts) -

Yup, this is legit. Too bad. RIP Ebert.

#10 Posted by Excast (895 posts) -

http://www.suntimes.com/17320958-761/roger-ebert-dies-at-70-after-battle-with-cancer.html

His newspaper's website seems to have a story up now.

#11 Edited by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

Loved the guy, loved his approach to reviewing movies.

I really hope a bunch of gamers don't pile on with a bunch of shitty comments just because of his attitude about games and art.

#12 Posted by Pr1mus (3857 posts) -

He will be missed. One of the few critics from his generation that actually still liked movies.

#13 Posted by JacDG (2118 posts) -

One of the few critics who I actually followed, though I certainly wasn't always agreeing with his opinion, he was still a great reviewer. And man, in the days of internet and social media, it's kind of eery/chilling to read prominent public figures' last tweets/articles.

I hope you'll stop by, and look for me. I'll be there.

So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies.

#14 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

Wow. That's really too bad. RIP.

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."

#16 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1027 posts) -

I met Roger Ebert and his wife once, years ago at a screenwriting seminar of all places. Star Wars Episode 3 had just come out, and I ended up talking with him for 5-10 minutes about the movie, and its place in the series. He couldn't have been nicer, he actually seemed genuinely interested in my opinion on the movie. What a huge loss this is.

#17 Posted by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

I've discussed movies with Ebert via email before. As a lover of film I am depressed. Dude was like my idol.

#18 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

@jacdg said:

One of the few critics who I actually followed, though I certainly wasn't always agreeing with his opinion, he was still a great reviewer. And man, in the days of internet and social media, it's kind of eery/chilling to read prominent public figures' last tweets/articles.

So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies.

Yeah I guess he just went on hiatus two days ago because they found more cancer? Man, what a bummer. The guy has had a really shitty battle with cancer this last decade or so. I suppose that there's some solice in that nastiness being over.

#19 Edited by RecSpec (3798 posts) -

Stunned by this, especially after the blog he posted a couple days ago. I loved his approach to writing. He will definitely be missed.

#20 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@jacdg said:

Those last written words are something else. I loved the damn guy.

#21 Edited by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -

=( We still loved you, even if you hated us.

Wait, this isn't a late April Fools' joke, right??

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14727 posts) -

I give cancer two thumbs down. But in less jokey condolences guy was alright even if somethings he spoke about *ahem* video games he knew nothing about.

#23 Edited by Snail (8593 posts) -

Just this morning I was reading about how he was going to take a "leave of presence", start reviewing only the movies he wanted to review, taking it easier. He was going to launch a new website, keep collaborating with Scorcese on the biography about his life. I was looking forward to a new phase of his career.

And now this.

This was probably one of the shittiest ways imaginable of finding out. Just a short thread title.

#24 Posted by DaMaJaDiZ (59 posts) -

This really bums me out. Gonna miss his presence and insights.

#25 Edited by Benny (1950 posts) -

There's a reason why time and time again people like Jeff have described themselves to others as "Like Roger Ebert, but for video games." Probably inspired a hell of a lot of people's articles you've read, GiantBomb.com inluded.

#26 Edited by abomunist (116 posts) -

Just watched The Shop Around the Corner last night. It's a movie that I would not have found without his influence. I fell in love with it. He was a good reviewer. Changed the game a bit.

I'll re-watch Citizen Kane with his commentary tonight. Just to swim in his movie knowledge one more time.

#27 Edited by Aurelito (721 posts) -

Goddammit, who else is next in line for being the ultimate reviewer?

#28 Posted by Excast (895 posts) -
#29 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3846 posts) -

@excast: I just died a little inside.

edit: Poor choice of words. Didn't think about that one. Regardless that guy is terrible.

#30 Edited by Djnuttty (138 posts) -

Wow. Now when I skim a wikipedia page, what reviewer will I look for? Damn. It's weird, I was actually thinking yesterday that he probably doesn't have long left. May he rest in peace.

#31 Edited by Winternet (8012 posts) -

That's too bad. All the best for his family.

#32 Posted by Jeust (10537 posts) -

RIP man! All the best for his family and friends.

#33 Posted by ShaggE (6401 posts) -

:( Most enjoyable critic what ever did live. Like I said elsewhere, I almost never agreed with him, but I always loved his insight and wit.

#35 Posted by Rasmoss (453 posts) -

I'm not even American, but I loved his reviews. A sad day :(

#36 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Lot of game developers on twitter are pointing out how his criticism of games really was beneficial, prompted a lot of people to take their work more seriously and start exploring what the medium can do. He came across as a troll at times but he really did fire up a lot of meaningful discussions about video-games.

#37 Posted by jiggajoe14 (664 posts) -

Damn my favorite reviewer ever and the man who pretty much shaped my love of films.

#38 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -

It's too bad. He was a hell of a reviewer shown by the fact that his words could get people to both praise and hate him. You can tell if you're doing something meaningful as a writer if you can get such strong reactions out of people.

#39 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

I'm quite saddened by this news. He was like, always there. And now he isn't.

#40 Posted by Daneian (1226 posts) -

RIP.

#41 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

And now both halves of "Siskel & Ebert" have left this earth, hopefully to find their place in the forever after.

Man, this is a bummer. Ebert was definitely one of my idols when it came to film and film criticism. He was someone you could always count on, and whose opinion I could always appreciate. Rest in peace.

#42 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

Sorry for his circumstances. I didn't really like the guy though.

#43 Edited by amlabella (323 posts) -

Very sad news, he was a true pioneer for film criticism. That being said, it's been great reading people's stories about how he took the time to respond to fans via email, Facebook, etc over the years. Also a really nice guy it seems.

#44 Posted by Sander (411 posts) -

I once watched Siskel+Ebert as a kid and it opened my eyes to film in a way I never saw before. They told me about character arcs and deeper meanings and subtleties and I was introduced to film as art.

Thanks guys for this endless gift. RIP

#45 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (684 posts) -

If I'm unfamiliar with Ebert's writing and would like to read more, where should I start? Any specific pieces/collections?

#46 Edited by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

Quite sad. RIP

#47 Posted by notdavid (836 posts) -

This week is the shittiest week.

#48 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

Oh wow, he was one of the best critics out there. Even if I disagree with his views on video games, I can appreciate that he was a very smart and talented man.

RIP mr. ebert

#49 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Never followed his work much, but the dude didn't mince words. We need more people like that in the entertainment industry; video games and movies.

#50 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1027 posts) -

@a_cute_squirtle said:

If I'm unfamiliar with Ebert's writing and would like to read more, where should I start? Any specific pieces/collections?

The one I always remember is the article he wrote about The Watchmen (the film), metaphysics, and quantum mechanics:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/03/were_all_puppets_laurie_im_jus.html

His reviews were great too, sure. But his blog was where his most interesting writing has been for the last ten years, it really was an extraordinary wealth of interesting film analysis. I hope the Sun-Times doesn't take it down.