• 147 results
#1 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2498 posts) -

I've come to one conclusion about everything that has happened today: This is awesome for everyone involved except maybe for Mr. Mathew Rorie. What is happening with him exactly? I know Alex left and he was bought by the same people that bought Tested and AnimeVice but is he the only one working on Screened? It seems like all of this is completely screwing Rorie in every way and no one screws with my Rorie. He said on Twitter earlier that he was gonna post something at 2PST but I don't think he ever did (or at least I can't find anything).

#2 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

I will be damned if I get denied the Matt Rorie Puppy Show.

#3 Posted by Toxeia (728 posts) -

I'm getting this really sad vibe that everyone's moving away and poor Rorie will be all alone.

#4 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@TheGamerGeek said:

he was bought by the same people that bought Tested and AnimeVice

>_>

Honestly, I don't know. If you are following his twitter then you probably know everything that someone else would.

#5 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (994 posts) -

To my knowledge, Screened is going along with Tested into the welcoming bosom of Lloyd Braun.

#6 Posted by benpicko (1995 posts) -

Apparently the announcement was postponed until tomorrow, I think.

#7 Edited by Willtron (243 posts) -

From what I remember reading and/or hearing in the pancake video, Screened was bought along with the Tested dudes. With Alex going along with the GB duders, I assume they're trying to figure out what to do. I have faith Rorie will be okay. And I'll continue to go to Screened to get me my Rorie fix. 'Cause I needs it. Also, as noted, Rorie's gonna announce tomorrow 'cause he doesn't wanna take away from the GiantBomb/Tested announcement. He's a classy dude. I want to give him a puppy.

Also, if Screened changes in any way, I hope the new review system uses puppies instead of stars.

#8 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Rorie for life. One of my favourite of the whiskey media crew

#9 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

Will suck if he's left out to drown. He's a cool dude.

#10 Posted by KamasamaK (2407 posts) -

I'd be lying if I said I'd miss him.

#11 Posted by TruthTellah (8517 posts) -

From what Alex has said, Rorie is now just the head of Screened, and their new owner may be supporting them in some hiring. So, to me, it sounds like Rorie is the Screened King now.

And Ryan said they would absolutely be keeping in touch with Rorie and trying to do stuff with him. GiantBomb can't be GiantBomb with its monthly dose of puppies.

#12 Posted by Robinson (170 posts) -

Rorie for life!!!! Def. a fav of mine.

#13 Posted by Andorski (5187 posts) -

I thought Rorie was giving up all his worldly possessions and dedicating his life to stopping the production of the Grown-Ups sequel.

#14 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1173 posts) -

Love you, Rorie.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

he seemed way more bummed than the others, so I have no idea... if he doesn't go with screened and instead gets booted he better have a spot on giant bomb

or I will cut someone

with a dog biscuit

#16 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2498 posts) -

@Marz said:

The COOLEST of dudes!

#17 Posted by TurboMan (7388 posts) -

Alex is with GB

Rorie is going to post an update tomorrow.

Pure speculation: It seems that Rorie might have been pushed out of screened. He's confirmed that Screened isn't getting shut down, but it might be a community ran thing like anime vice.

#18 Posted by SamFo (1514 posts) -

@KamasamaK: Well you're one of the few.

#19 Posted by solidwolf52 (300 posts) -

He seemed kinda bummed on his twitter today.

He tweeted a picture of the Giantbomb window at CBSi. Maybe he's going to? I hope so. Don't really care much for Screened, but i love me so Matt Rorie.

#20 Edited by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

Screened was bought, but that doesn't mean Rorie is. It doesn't mean he isn't either, but I dunno. He seemed kinda bummed out while everyone else seemed excited. Hopefully things are good and he can continue working on Screened. If not, I hope he gets set up in the Comic Vine/Giant Bomb office, and is allowed to start his own site with CBS. I mean, the fixed costs are already there, right? Just give him a desk and a puppy and Rorie will be the best movie critic ever. EAT YOUR GODDAMN HEART OUT EBERT

#21 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I wish him the best but he is literally the only Whiskey Media staffer who makes me seek forward in videos when he shows up so I'm happy I won't be seeing him anymore.

#22 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

Rorie is easily one of the hardest working editors Whiskey had, dude busted his ass for months essentially being the only dude making scripted, directed and themed video content for Screened (along with Joey). All while reviewing movies, posting news, and interacting with the community all at the same time. Dude deserves major support for all he did. Hope everything is working out for him.

#23 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2132 posts) -

Yeah, just going by the 'bummed' and ambiguous tone of his tweets, I'm assuming he's leaving Screened. The tweet about podcasts was almost a confirmation. Anyway, I'm sure he'll land on his feet, if true.

#24 Posted by Mexican_Brownie (201 posts) -

@Icicle7x3 said:

Love you, Rorie.

What the hell man! That video bummed me out. Really wish Rorie the best, he's a cool guy.

Gonna miss the old WHiskey Media crew a lot :'(

#25 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Hope he lands. On his feet he is a hard working dude.

#26 Posted by Redbullet685 (6024 posts) -

@Marz said:

Would hope that GB would pick him up as an editor for the site.

#27 Posted by erichr (58 posts) -

Yeah I really hope Rorie ends up unscathed, he's one of my favourite media personalities. Not gonna lie though, if Rorie gets the shaft I'm gonna have a much harder time feeling happy for the rest of the Whiskey crew.

#28 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

@Marz said:

Would hope that GB would pick him up as an editor for the site.

You have no idea how happy I'd be if that happened.

Rorie is the best.

#29 Posted by Jumanji (447 posts) -

Is this the "I come to bury Rorie, not to praise him" thread? 

The Dark Souls Quick Look that he ran is one of my favourite segments. He gave a loving, informed, competent and VERY LONG look at a fascinating game that I really wanted to learn more about.

#30 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3727 posts) -

Rorie seems unusually bummed, and kind of confused as to where he's going next.

Either way, after announcing he was leaving Screened, Alex said he wanted to keep writing about films. He said that his new bosses were cool with that. He then offered his freelance services to anyone that wanted them. He said "I'll find somewhere that I can put my film reviews, etc." If Screened were going to continue as-is, don't you think Alex would continue contributing to it, since, you know, he helped start the site and his friend works there? And Rorie keeps mentioning he's making an announcement. If things were gonna stay the same (aside from Alex), there'd be nothing to do but make a State of the Screened address. I don't think Rorie will be at Screened after tomorrow. I just don't know what he WILL be doing, which sucks, because he worked harder than any of the editors at Whiskey and deserves some notice and success.

Also, them buying Screened is probably just a whole "it was part of the Whiskey Media Leftovers package" like Anime Vice. Nobody would buy Anime Vice. Even Whiskey barely thought it was worth it. AV and Screened were just "bonuses" for buying the Wiki-stuff and Tested.

Sorry Rorie. :( Good luck!

PS WIth how much soul and love he put into Screened, and how involved he was with fans, he'd be one HELL of a Community Manager. Just saying.

#31 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

I hear obsidian has some openings

#32 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

He seemed to not know what was going to become of him when he was in the chat earlier. I hope he can come to Giant Bomb.

#33 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

My favorite Rorie vid!

Hope things turn out for the best! Will miss him and will be crushed if he's cut!

#34 Posted by benson (318 posts) -
#35 Posted by Athadam (673 posts) -

Since Rorie has a great personality and a following on GiantBomb, I wonder why the GB crew doesn't just pick him up and use him as an editorial staff member.

#36 Posted by csl316 (8082 posts) -

Rorie's a good guy. I was always a fan of him, plus him and Alex full time at Screened was a joy to behold.

Lately, the lack of content and podcast cancellations have been trying. Understandable, but still kind of a bummer. If he continues with Screened, I hope he gets some help and the site becomes the best it's ever been. If not... well, I can't imagine a life without Rorie in some capacity.

At least the Tested dudes have come out ahead. I'm super excited to see what they get to do now.

#37 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2906 posts) -

Well... I did find him kind of annoying. Can't say I'll especially miss him. He was great in the Dark Souls quick look though.

#38 Posted by Hailinel (23846 posts) -

@Castermhief117 said:

Since Rorie has a great personality and a following on GiantBomb, I wonder why the GB crew doesn't just pick him up and use him as an editorial staff member.

Rorie is the heart and soul of Screened at this point and was never considered an official staffer of Giant Bomb even though both sites are (or were) Whiskey Media sites. And of the WM sites, the fate of Screened, alongside Anime Vice, is the most up in the air. Obviously, Will and Norm are sitting pretty, as they now have the backing of the Mythbusters crew; Tested is going to be just fine. Giant Bomb and Comic Vine are retaining autonomy under their new ownership at CBS, and likewise will be just fine. Screened? Ehhh, well, who knows? The firm that purchased Whiskey Media might not have need of Yet Another Film and TV Site, particularly one with only one full-time staff member. And as much as I'd love for Rorie to jump ship with Alex and join Giant Bomb at CBS, it doesn't sound like a likely proposition at this point.

Basically, there's no telling what will happen to Screened, which is leaving Rorie waiting on pins and needles for information that he can share. As sad as it sounds, Rorie is the odd man out here.

#39 Edited by Chop (1994 posts) -

Rorie seemed like one of the hardest workers WM had. Whatever happens, nobody from the family deserves to land on their feet more so than him. If he ends up getting screwed over, I'll find it incredibly hard to view the other guys with as much affection as before.

#40 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -
This actually makes me really sad. No joke... :(
#41 Posted by csl316 (8082 posts) -

Just saw this on his Twitter, in reply to a guy about the Screencast:

"Thanks for saying that! It wasn't my favorite part of the job but I enjoyed the 90 episodes."

Keyword "wasn't"

#42 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

This is the worst part of the deal. Poor Rorie. :(

#43 Posted by YoThatLimp (1879 posts) -

I am hoping GB pick him us as an editor. Out of all the WM dudes, Rorie was the hardest working and my favorite writer.

#44 Posted by Mercy_ (259 posts) -

@Icicle7x3: Drunk Rorie > Puppy-Petting Rorie

#45 Posted by endaround (2138 posts) -

Well Diablo III is coming out, someone will have to write a guide....

Hopefully Rorie gets some good news.

#46 Posted by Mercy_ (259 posts) -

@VinceNotVance: Here. Now leave me be.

#47 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

@csl316 said:

Just saw this on his Twitter, in reply to a guy about the Screencast:

"Thanks for saying that! It wasn't my favorite part of the job but I enjoyed the 90 episodes."

Keyword "wasn't"

Well, with Alex gone it stands to reason that they wouldn't be doing a Screencast anymore. So that could just be referring to that.

#48 Posted by moffattron9000 (351 posts) -

@Willtron said:

Also, if Screened changes in any way, I hope the new review system uses puppies instead of stars.

I second this notion

#49 Posted by csl316 (8082 posts) -

@ThatFrood: True. But all will be revealed tomorrow.

#50 Edited by Milkman (16514 posts) -

Watched this after reading Alex's farewell post this morning. I won't lie...I may have gotten a little choked up. Hoping for the best still!