Router help!

destroyer86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By destroyer86

I have a 2Wire 3800HGV and my wireless has been really up & down lately so I used a ethernet cable (worked perfect on my 360, PS3, etc) for the first day the, "local ethernet" light was solid green, then the day after that, it started blinking green really fast (and has been doing so since (about 2 weeks)) and now I can't even stay connected to the internet for more than 5 minutes... I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, so if someone could help me, and do it in the most simple way, I would greatly appropriate it!! :)

destroyer86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By destroyer86

Also! I've tried restarting it, and a hard reboot!!

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Flashing green might mean it's actually getting good traffic or it's stuck at attempting to connect to the internet due to some of the settings. These kinds of things vary based on router but flashing green shouldn't be anything too bad as far as I know.

Do you know how to access the router configuration on an internet browser (apparently 192.168.1.254 by default) ? Also, do you know what type of connection your ISP uses?

destroyer86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't.. But I know we have U-verse !

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

It's rare, but once or twice I've had to get a pin and hit the full reset button on one of my routers to fix some issues. Maybe try that.

Other than that, maybe try to get off of U-Verse. From what I'm reading on Amazon, that router seems like crap, but it also seems like it's required, as it pulls double duty and serves as your modem. If you must stay on U-Verse, I'd at least call and try to get a new one.

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nivash

Yeah, I think you should try to get in touch with AT&T first. These "proprietary" routers that you can only get through one ISP tend to have some weird things going on with the programming that makes them a bit hard to diagnose remotely. It's perfectly possible that AT&T are aware of the issue if it's due to some bug or hardware flaw, and even if they can't solve it a very common solution from ISPs is to try and replace the hardware first. At least that way you rule out hardware failure.

You're paying for that connection and the router. AT&T have an obligation through that contract to make it work.

And by hard reboot, do you mean the really hard 30-30-30 reset (hold the reset button for 30 seconds with the power on, turn off the power and hold the button for 30 more seconds, keep holding and do so with the power on for 30 seconds) or just hitting the reset button?

(Hitting the reset button resets most settings (obviously) but doesn't really return most devices to factory conditions. The 30-30-30 is almost guaranteed to wipe everything back to factory which rules out any software, settings or firmware issues. Of course, keep in mind that it really does reset EVERYTHING. Any installs, including connecting to the Internet on devices that need it, any static IP routing and identifying wireless devices, will have to be redone the same way as when the router was new.)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

From what I'm reading on Amazon, that router seems like crap, but it also seems like it's required, as it pulls double duty and serves as your modem. If you must stay on U-Verse, I'd at least call and try to get a new one.

As someone who previously worked tech support for U-Verse I can confirm that both the routers and the U-Verse service are, in fact, crap.