#1 Posted by leebmx (2235 posts) -

Two things:

I have a 360 and this upcoming year just seems to be barren of decent (or any) RPGs. Can anyone think of anything which is coming out? I know Dragon Age 3 is in the offing, but I can't think of much else.

Also I can get my hands on a Wii and was thinking about trying Xenoblade Chronicles. However, I have never played a JRPG before only western things like Bethesda games, Dragon Age etc. Is it going to be really hard to get into or should I give it a try? Can anyone suggest any other good Wii RPGs?

#2 Edited by flasaltine (1710 posts) -

Get a PC.

#3 Posted by Tackchevy (266 posts) -

Xenoblade is one of the most modern interpretations of the traditional JRPG, so you'll likely be able to handle the mechanics based on WRPG experience. One of my all time favorites for sure.

If you want to stick with 360, you have options like Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, and Lost Odyssey.

#4 Edited by leebmx (2235 posts) -

Get a PC.

Yeah that's the conclusion i'm slowly coming to...

#5 Posted by SomberOwl (729 posts) -

You no like the pew pew die die shoot em ups? Yeah I'm getting tired of shooting and would also love a nice RPG. There is a bunch of JRPG's coming for the PS3. But all I can think of is that South Park game for the 360, if that even ends up coming out.

#6 Edited by ShockD (2421 posts) -

@leebmx said:

@flacracker said:

Get a PC.

Well, better late than never, right?

#7 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12123 posts) -

Wasteland 2 is supposed to come out this year, and that will run on Mac and Linux. But yeah, get a PC if you want to play Western-style RPGs.

#8 Posted by MurderBunny (61 posts) -

The Witcher 2 port is good.

#9 Posted by HH (630 posts) -

so tell me, pc enthusiasts, what single player western rpgs, apart from shadowrun returns, are coming out on pc this year?

#10 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

@hh said:

so tell me, pc enthusiasts, what single player western rpgs, apart from shadowrun returns, are coming out on pc this year?

Announced? Wasteland 2, Might and Magic: Legacy or whatever, Chaos Chronicles, and Divinity: Original Sin off of the top of my head. Possible to be in 2013? Legend of Grimrock 2, Neal Halford's Betrayal at Krondor spiritual successor, and a small possibility of a Knights of the Chalice sequel. That sounds like a pretty good mix to me, on top of Shadowrun.

And then shit gets nuts in 2014 with Project Eternity, The Witcher 3, Shroud of the Avatar (ehhhh, but still), and those not yet announced.

#11 Posted by leebmx (2235 posts) -

You no like the pew pew die die shoot em ups? Yeah I'm getting tired of shooting and would also love a nice RPG. There is a bunch of JRPG's coming for the PS3. But all I can think of is that South Park game for the 360, if that even ends up coming out.

Pretty much, even when they are as good as Bioshock, I am still craving a bit more meaty inventory screens, dialogue choices and general depth and open endedness. I think it was the bit in Infinite when you kill Comstock where I was 'Right! I wouldn't have done that, give me a character who is actually my avatar, rather than just a character I do the shooting for,'

What I really want is Fallout 4 but God knows when that's coming.

#12 Posted by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

Mmmmm...RPG Dessert.

#13 Edited by leebmx (2235 posts) -

@shockd said:

@leebmx said:

@flacracker said:

Get a PC.

Well, better late than never, right?

Although as @hh points out. What RPGs are coming out on PC this year that aren't out elsewhere. I can't see anything. Just seen the post from the guy above, still not a thrilling list, seem mostly isometric, but nevermind. I guess they don't make the sort of games I like that often.

#14 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -
#15 Edited by leebmx (2235 posts) -

@leebmx: My post?

:'(

Yeah, soz. Only noticed afterwards, although I have to say the RPG's you list don't seem particularly exciting (although I am tentatively interested in Wasteland), but then that's just my taste, they are all RPG's at least. As I said in the other post, the games I like just don't seem to get made that often, maybe they are just expensive or something.

#16 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

@leebmx said:

@siroptimusprime said:

@leebmx: My post?

:'(

Yeah, soz. Only noticed afterwards, although I have to say the RPG's you list don't seem particularly exciting (although I am tentatively interested in Wasteland), but then that's just my taste, they are all RPG's at least. As I said in the other post, the games I like just don't seem to get made that often, maybe they are just expensive or something.

Dude, if you want inventory screens and open-endedness then the new Might and Magic game is totally up your alley. Chaos Chronicles is a D&D OGL game, so I imagine there's some sort of charisma/dialogue aspect and definitely nonlinear, and Divinity (if it gets funded) looks like an oldschool Ultima game. That means some pretty good dialogues and the best world interactivity this side of Ultima VII.

These types of games aren't expensive (relatively, if Kickstarter is to be believed) it's just that they're not as popular as shooters or the modern style of open-world fantasy games. Yeah, you're gonna way fewer of them because way fewer people buy them, and development in general isn't a cheap prospect with respect to the pull these games have.

#17 Posted by believer258 (12207 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei IV, Devil Summoner, and Devil Survivor, are coming out on 3DS, plus Etrian Odyssey IV and Fire Emblem Awakening. Atlus are really knocking it out of the park this year on that system (I know, Fire Emblem isn't Atlus)

On the Western front, I can't name much. Have you played The Witcher 1 and 2 yet? Dark Souls isn't a Western game but it's got a close enough aesthetic, have you played it? Deus Ex Human Revolution? I know those didn't come out this year, but there doesn't seem to be many Western RPG's on consoles coming out this year.

There are also older PC RPG's like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Fallout 1 and 2, etc., that will work on pretty much any PC.

#18 Posted by Hunter5024 (5973 posts) -

I thought this thread was going to be about an RPG with a badass desert setting and now I am disappointed.

#19 Posted by leebmx (2235 posts) -

@siroptimusprime: Might and magic and D&D just look like really old-school traditional fantasy which I am not that keen on tbh. I got into Dragon Age because the story and characters were so great and once I figured the fighting system out it was very enjoyable but I really need some grown-up writing to get through that sort of thing. I'd not really touched any fantasy before that because the very fixed tropes and kind of childish storytelling put me off. That's not to say those games are definitely like that but they strike me as very traditional - maybe i'm being unfair - you tell me.

I suppose what I like in RPG's is being able to decide exactly what my character looks like, how they behave, what tactics they take and what they say. Freedom and exploration I suppose. I guess that's why I like the Bethesda and Bioware games so much

#20 Posted by leebmx (2235 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei IV, Devil Summoner, and Devil Survivor, are coming out on 3DS, plus Etrian Odyssey IV and Fire Emblem Awakening. Atlus are really knocking it out of the park this year on that system (I know, Fire Emblem isn't Atlus)

On the Western front, I can't name much. Have you played The Witcher 1 and 2 yet? Dark Souls isn't a Western game but it's got a close enough aesthetic, have you played it? Deus Ex Human Revolution? I know those didn't come out this year, but there doesn't seem to be many Western RPG's on consoles coming out this year.

There are also older PC RPG's like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Fallout 1 and 2, etc., that will work on pretty much any PC.

I don't have a 3DS and I have played all the games you suggest apart from Dark Souls so I might have to get that. I tried Demon's Souls ages ago when I had a PS3 and couldn't really get into it, but Dark Souls is a bit more penetrable - right? I think I will have to go with that an Xenoblade for now.

I did buy either Fallout 1 or 2 for the computer I am on now but I just seemed to get slaughtered any time I stepped out into the wilds - I guess people were just better gamers in the old days or something.

#21 Posted by believer258 (12207 posts) -

@leebmx said:

@believer258 said:

I don't have a 3DS and I have played all the games you suggest apart from Dark Souls so I might have to get that. I tried Demon's Souls ages ago when I had a PS3 and couldn't really get into it, but Dark Souls is a bit more penetrable - right? I think I will have to go with that an Xenoblade for now.

I did buy either Fallout 1 or 2 for the computer I am on now but I just seemed to get slaughtered any time I stepped out into the wilds - I guess people were just better gamers in the old days or something.

No, those games were aimed at people who were used to that sort of game so it was difficult for new guys to jump into something like that.

@fredchuckdave and @tobbrobb know A LOT more about Dark Souls and Demon's Souls than I do, I don't know which one is more accessible.

#22 Posted by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

@believer258: @leebmx: Dark Souls is more accessible than Demon's. That's not ACTUALLY saying much, but you know.

@leebmx:You should definitely give it a try! Just keep a few things in mind. The game was made so that communities would come together and figure it out, don't be afraid to ask anything! And most of the questions are probably even already answered on the site. And don't fret about builds, the game is really easy to mold around. Just try shit out and see what happens! Nothing is ever really permanently ruined. The economy is made so souls are pretty disposable, dying and losing a few thousand won't set you back much. Stay patient and have fun! :D

#23 Posted by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

The only one that comes in mind is Dragon's Dogma.Coming out in May I think.Looks pretty cool!

#24 Edited by HH (630 posts) -

I recommend Dragon's Dogma if you haven't played it already, its japanese made but has a western aesthetic, good character creator, good atmospheric world, plenty to the combat. although wait the extra coupla weeks for the expanded version.

#25 Edited by Raven10 (1925 posts) -

Yea I'm going to recommend Dragon's Dogma as well. It has a deep character creation system and an open world with lots of freedom. It doesn't really have much of a story, but other than that it seems to fit your bill. I honestly can't think of anything on a Bioware or Bethesda scale coming out this year for 360. You are right in saying those types of games are very expensive (and also very difficult) to make. Several companies have tried to compete with Bethesda over the past decade, but none have really come close to being as good. Just to name some okay ones you might have missed - Arcania is the latest game in the Gothic franchise. They are open world RPG's like Bethesda's although even less polished and more difficult to manage. Risen and Risen 2 are the latest games from the original makers of the Gothic franchise. Again they are open world RPG's that are simply a lot less polished than Bethesda's games. Two Worlds and Two Worlds 2 are also decent but highly unpolished open world games. For something a bit more story driven there are the Fable games. That's all I can really think of off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

#26 Edited by leebmx (2235 posts) -

@raven10 @hh: Cheers guys, I had half an eye on Dragon's Dogma but the apparent lack of good story was putting me off. Even Skyrim could drag when the story was slow or non-existent so it is quite important for me. There is some kind of special edition coming out soon (I think) so I might get my hands on that.

Risen are pirate games, right? and I always forget about Fable, for some reason they always look a bit childish, but it might be time to give them a try. Sometimes its good when you have to try things you are not sure of because of a game drought as you can stumble across some surprises.

In anycase, DD, Dark Souls and Xenoblade are what I am going to have to go with until something better comes along, I reckon I should find something there to satisfy. I am just going to keep my fingers crossed that when Microsoft announce the whateverbox that they have some kind of Fallout 4 exclusive (timed or otherwise). It might be one of the reasons they seem so unconcerned by all the bad press they are getting recently.

#27 Posted by Zekhariah (695 posts) -

@leebmx: I'm not sure Fallout 4 exclusivity rates that high in terms of a trump exclusive (or likely really, maybe timed?).

Risen 2 is the pirate oriented game. By most accounts Risen 1 is preferred (along with Gothic 3 + community patches), or even Gothic (really old). Those games have kind of odd combat mechanics though. But x360 is probably going to hit 0 new releases in relatively short order. I would strongly second Witcher 2 if you've not played it though (1 is also good, but PC and less actiony combat).

#28 Posted by HH (630 posts) -

the first Risen is pretty good, it has a good magic system if i remember right, and decent combat, for some reason all that changed for the second game, which suffers greatly from bad mechanics. the thing is in Risen, as in the Witcher games, you don't get to make your character, it's a predetermined dude.

#29 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

@tobbrobb: I wouldn't say Dark Souls is more accessible than Demon's Souls it's just there's more stupid badly designed things that could you could do unwittingly to screw yourself over in Demon's Souls. The only way Demon's Souls is more difficult in general is if you play the whole game in Pure Black World Tendency; which takes a bit of effort and is fairly difficult to accomplish on your first run of the game; but predominantly Dark Souls is more challenging. Stockpile Thomas is an extremely critical NPC that you could potentially kill; some of the other merchants are also very useful so you can get your enormous pile of grasses and spices (Flamelurker isn't so difficult if you can heal 200 times while fighting it for instance).

Finding the Monumental is difficult, again for a stupid reason. Yurt can screw you over badly but it isn't in as good a way as Lautrec, his limitations placed on you actually aren't *that* bad, losing Firelink could be somewhat crippling depending on the player. Additionally it is relatively clear what is going on in Dark Souls but figuring out what Yurt is doing manually is very unlikely.

There are extremely badly designed enemies in Demon's Souls as well like BP Sasuke or Giant Depraved Ones; and I guess it's theoretically possible that Sasuke could spawn camp you forever in Shrine of Storms; but again that's unlikely to occur and the reason for it occurring is just a bad design decision overall. As for Giant Depraved Ones you only have to fight 2 in the whole game and chances are you'll realize they're not worth the effort while in the God awful swamp. Said swamp could be construed as more "difficult" than Blighttown but the bosses are all really easy (Quelaag is harder than almost every boss in Demon's Souls despite only being a middle of the road boss in Dark Souls), and it's just more tedious and annoying, not actually difficult; again due to bad design decisions.

Note I don't spite Demon's Souls for having bad elements, it was their first go at the project and was a respectable showing; Dark Souls kind of destroys it though. Playing the whole game through on PBWT accidentally is akin to playing all of Dark Souls in Quad Curse state; something theoretically making the game "super hard" but rarely if ever actually occurring. The halved (or 3/4th'd) HP state actually doesn't matter because for one it makes your ring decisions super clear since you'll almost always go for Thief/Cling; both found in the first zone, and forget those slots even exist for most of that first playthrough; having no decision to make makes the game easier by default. Additionally pretty much everything hits harder in Dark Souls relative to you having full HP and there are quite a few more enemies and encounters that can one shot you in Dark Souls than in Demon's Souls; and you encounter them earlier to boot. The dragon in Dark Souls is/was far more likely to kill you (though I would say the Bridge is still extremely memorable) since you do have to run directly past it, though they seemed to have nerfed his AI at some point in the patches.

Most of the Armor sucks in Demon's Souls and there's a lot less of it to sort through, this again simplifies your equipment decision making and simplifies the game. The Dark Silver and Large Brushwood shields also make the game immensely easier and so does the spell Warding, which isn't really that difficult to get even on a blind run; NG+ especially is trivialized by this triumvirate; but a lot of people have trouble with something like Four Kings in NG+ or Gwyn before the parrying nonsense spread on the internets. If I were to go through Demon's Souls again literally the only thing that would give me a challenge is Flamelurker; but if I were to go through Dark Souls + the DLC I'd have 7 or 8 bosses who had a decent shot at killing me; Bed of Chaos is by far the hardest puzzle boss in the series to go alongside the DLC bosses, Gwyn, Four Kings, and Ornstein and Smough.

Weapons too are fairly linear and simple decisions in Demon's Souls; there's only a handful of particularly good ones and while there's some variety it doesn't even scratch the surface of all the viable builds in Dark Souls; pretty much a direct improvement. If you pick the "Royal" class I could see dying less than 25 times on a blind run through Demon's Souls; in Dark Souls any blind run by a brand new player to the series is virtually guaranteed to inflict 100+ deaths, even more if you count the DLC.

#30 Edited by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Eh, there are valid reasons for why both the games are terribly unaccessible. Personally I think DeS feels more outdated and annoying with it's encumbrance system and the rarity of "checkpoints", only being able to level up at the base and so forth. Mind, there are good reasons for why those could be part of the core design. But that doesn't make it accessible. But whatever, it's just taste or semantics at this point. They both can't explain themselves for shit.

#31 Posted by Winternet (8055 posts) -

Mmmmm...RPG Dessert.

Covered with hot chocolate.

#32 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -
@leebmx said:

@believer258 said:

You should be able to run Baldur's Gate 2. It has everything you want. The biggest issue is learning the combat system which uses AD&d 2nd edition. Its a very robust system but you really need to read the manual and be able to refer to it while playing. It also starts you off mid level so there is almost a learning cliff.