RPG Fatigue

Boostergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Boostergold

I suffer from a debilitating condition known as RPG Fatigue. In short, half-way through an RPG I get tired of the same mechanics and gameplay and the never eding cut scenes that I end up tuning out and forget to finisht the game. I know some of you guys are RPG fanatics and scoff at the idea of getting tired of an RPG. I've always been interesting in the epic over-acing story lines found within RPG's but everytime I get distracted by something more fast paced.   This has happened with games like FF X, FFX-2, Diablo and plenty of others.
But this is 2010 god dammit and I'm gonna finish an RPG, so I've started playing FF XII. Now I'm 10 hours in and so far its been an enjoyable ride, especially with the eye-popping CG cutscenes. I'm going to do everything I can to beat this game even if it kills me or my will to live. 
How do some of you deal with RPG fatigue? What motivates you guys to plow through a game? And are there any games you guys never finised but wish you did?
calum_s_gunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By calum_s_gunn

I suffer the same affliction, unfortunately. The only RPG I've really played until I was blue in the balls was Final Fantasy 12. God, I loved that game. But even fantastic games that I was actually enjoying have fallen to the wayside - even, and I'm almost scared to admit this, Dragon Quest VIII. I abandoned Lost Odyssey on the fourth disc, Final Fantasy X somewhere near the end, Blue Dragon on the 2nd disc...

Most RPGs can't hold my full attention for as long as I'd like, I guess. It's a shame!

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Cornman89

I used to relish a good, long RPG. But now I can't imagine playing a game longer than 30 hours.

Except Dragon Age, for some reason.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

I have the opposite actually.
A few  RPG's that i have stopped playing about 5 hours in, i am now trying to beat to completion.  
FFX, FFXII, Dragon Quest VIII, Persona 3, and Persona 4( I got to the last dungeon and my neice broke the disc recently)
And hopefully Dragon Quest IX in a few months 0.0, piling up games like this wont be good but MEH.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Play something else/ do something else. Rocket science I know. Do something else when you're tired of what you're doing.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By animateria

I play action RPGs and no longer traditional turn based RPGs. On the Japanese front anyways.

Something like Mass Effect 2, Demon's Souls, or even something that resembles traditional RPGs, like  Resonance of Fate requires a lot more attention and quick reflexes. 

Give me something like FFX and I'll immediately get bored nowadays. That type of gaming only works on handhelds for me.

Pretty much the reason I didn't pick up FFXIII, I don't need endless tutorials that slowly ease me into the game. I like having all the elements in the beginning and suddenly getting that 'eureka' moment that brings me closer to mastering a system is more rewarding. 

For example, in Resonance of Fate...

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By project343

The 40-hour JRPG benchmark needs to be lowered down to 20-hour. Compress the content and resources, and make a far better experience. As much as I goddamn love the Persona series, I don't think I could ever finish one.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Turambar
@project343:  Screw that, a Persona game wouldn't be a Persona game if I didn't put 80 hours into one play through, only to be more than ready to jump into a NG+.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By foggel

Yeah, I've never finished a JRPG. I got really close to finishing FF VII, which was my first JRPG, but Sephiroth was a bitch.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By zero_

Don't worry - I'm exactly like that as well, and it's the primary reason why my tastes in gaming have changed over the years. I used to be way into the JRPG genre - absolutely loved Final Fantasy, and all kinds of crazy, niche RPGs from the east, but over time as gaming evolved, these outdated JRPG mechanics refused to evolve. FFX I could play until half way, and even though the story was slightly interesting, it had just been the same gameplay for the last 40 hours without any newly introduced mechanic to keep me interested.

Boostergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Boostergold

Good to know that I'm not alone!  
I know that when I get stuck at a certain boss that I can't beat after like the 12th consecutive try it tends to drain me of all ambition to finish the game. 
Although I after I beat (and by god I will) FFXIII, I really want to try Resonance of Fate because of the style of gameplay. I do wish the made the battle system in RPG's more like Kingdom Hearts so I'm not sitting there just waiting to tap a button and wait for my attack. Thats why I have such fond memories of Kingdom Hearts, its battle system was engaging!
Tomat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tomat

I'm starting to learn that I have a similar reaction to traditional JRPGs. I cannot see myself investing in anymore past FFXIII, and even then I haven't played FFXIII in about a week now (I was pretty darn excited for it too.).

I'm far from being a die hard fan of traditional JRPGs so I haven't had the most experience with them, but from what I have played (A few Final Fantasy games, Lost Odyssey, Enchanted Arms, one Dragon Quest game, etc...) they just don't keep me hooked like a Mass Effect or Dragon Age does.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

What keeps me going in JRPGs is seeing the characters always grow stronger and being curious about thinigs like "I wonder how much damage this will do?" and those kinds of things.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

imo, the best jrpg is xenogears. too bad the game fucking glitched on me during the prison city bit. after my gear broke down in the first arena fight, i talked to every npc more than 50 times, and nothing ever happened. yes, i spoke to the blanka look-a-like a shitload of times and he never triggered any events like he was supposed to. the rest of my save files had become corrupt. i ended up grinding the sewers so long that i could one shot EVERYTHING, even the more difficult monsters further into the sewer. i was pissed. now the game is a tad bit difficult to find. {=o( i'd like to restart the game on my ps2 and relive those awesome moments. the cut scenes were pretty spiffy, too.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

I have had it, im taking a break from my quest for 1000 on Tales of Vesperia, and im dreading the long grind to 1000 on Star Ocean

MrDorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrDorkins

How can you get burnt out on rockets? They make stuff blow up and stuff.

Boostergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Boostergold

@MrDorkins 
BA DUM CHH!! Fiddy Cent never gets tired of RPGs, he even learnt Lloyd Banks and DJ Whoo Kidd summons.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#18  Edited By TobyD81

If I'm really into an RPG I'll usually stick with it until I'm done. When I was playing FF6, FF8, and FF10 that was the only game I played. I still haven't finished 9 or 12 because I just wasn't into them as much. Valkyria Chronicles is on hold right now but I know when I pick it back up it'll be for the long haul. FF13 has my attention right now, though. Good game.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
@Bam_D_Leprechaun: Wow. You are actually going to try to get 1000 in SO4? I bow to you. I don't think I could ever stand that much of Welch to get all the synthesis items.
Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lawrens

I just don't sidetrack onto other games when I play an rpg, either I play the same game for a month or two and finish it or never. This goes for long adventure games also. At least with FF games, it usually starts out good tricking me into playing too much to quit, some start off slow and I couldn't get myself to hit the half way mark.

DoubleKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DoubleKR

man you don't even know so many games i've not finished mainly the bad or long drawn out ones... like Lost Odyssey, Dragon Age, Army of 2: 40th day, RE 5....ie. Its just strange because its normally because of mechanical problems or a lack of diversity. idk maybe im crazy?

but yeah if you like RPG's then maybe you'll take to the class roles in ff 13 like i did. and trying filling that stagger gauge and keep it up while healing and defending is like a drug to me. i can't put that shit down. plus i just really really want to understand the story.

DoubleKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DoubleKR
@Boostergold said:
" @MrDorkins BA DUM CHH!! Fiddy Cent never gets tired of RPGs, he even learnt Lloyd Banks and DJ Whoo Kidd summons. "
omg i really really want to know where you got this from lol hahaha 
oh and why wouldn't he get tired of them...he uses "RPG's" to shoot down helicopters, which by the way, he hates. lol
Stitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Stitches

The last RPG I finished was White Knight Chronicles.  Wasn't a very long RPG and pretty easy too. So it progressed really smooth.
The fighting system wasn't that clever.
I also struggle with the longer RPG. the only ones I finished are dragonquest8 ,ff9 and ff10. But to me the setting of the RPG is the most important. I love the Medieval fantasy settings. Those sci-fi RPG's don't cut it for me (thus my love for ff9 and the dragonquest series :) )
I agree with the people who say the combat in these games should be more like Kingdom Hearts.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Faint

ffxii is most definitely not the best choice you could have made in wanting to finish an rpg. i mean, hardly anyone finished that one. unless you actually meant 13?

calum_s_gunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By calum_s_gunn
@Faint: Hardly anyone finished 12? BUT IT WAS GREAT
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Tordah

Oh man, I suffer from RPG fatigue really bad. I've never once finished a Final Fantasy game. And I've started over on some of them several times. Usually I get about halfway or 3/4 and then lose interest.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

I always have problems finishing games for various reasons, but I have a unique one for RPGs (as well as anime series).  If I love a game and am totally enjoying it, some subconscious part of me doesn't want it to end, so I stop playing it.  As long as I don't see the end of the game, the tale is open-ended.  I can imagine how things turn out or envision new journeys for the characters.  However, if I see the end, then it is over.  I probably won't return to it and in some cases, I feel disappointed by the outcome.  Whatever the developer created falls short of the stories my imagination conceived.  In a sense, the characters can live on if they avoid the game's conclusion, and they do that by me not finishing the game.  It's the idea of reading a book that you just don't want to end taken to the next step.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZenaxPure

I just play multiple games at once or go for achievements in other games. This expands beyond RPGs though, any game that has over a 10 hour campaign I can't bring myself to play nothing but that until I beat it... Just too much of the same thing. The game has to be absolutely mind blowing to be the only game I play at a time.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Jeust
@Zenaxzd said:

" I just play multiple games at once or go for achievements in other games. This expands beyond RPGs though, any game that has over a 10 hour campaign I can't bring myself to play nothing but that until I beat it... Just too much of the same thing. The game has to be absolutely mind blowing to be the only game I play at a time. "

This. 

I finished The Journey segment of P3 FES, i am at the last disk of the Lost Odyssey and finished Hack Sign. Hardly a record i know, but anyways i generally play a jrpg till i'm tired of it, take a break - play something else - and then continue along with it.  I'm gonna finish the Lost Odyssey... one of these days!
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xMP44x

If you get bored of playing an RPG, then try doing something different. If you simply battle all the enemies and nothing more, it'll be boring. Try gathering a stash of equipment and then selling it on for a profit. And do other things, like that. Oh, and side quests break up the game as well.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By Astras

I think i'm just getting gaming fatigue... all rpg games are structured around absorbing you and watching a string of reduculous cut scenes these days. It's more exhausting to me watching these scenes and realising the amount of time I am wasting than actually playing a game.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uniform

I'm usually great with most RPG titles, but for some reason I can't seem to finish a Persona game. What's even more interesting is that I keep buying them. I went right to the end of Persona 3, and then became distracted from it. P3 FES releases, then I grab that. I still have not taken the plastic off the case. "It's pretty much Persona 3 with outfits and crud, but it's a nice collector's item." I tell myself. Persona 4 releases, and I actually play 3/4 of this one, but just as with the third, something distracts me and I never go back to playing it. Luckily for me, I was surprised to see the Giant Bomb fellas actually recording their play through. It was good as I had fun watching them play the part of the game I never got to see, and probably had more entertainment value watching them than playing the game myself.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#33  Edited By Atlas

The only I've ever got RPG fatigue with was Lost Odyssey, but I attribute that to me just not liking the super-slow style of JRPG combat. That game just felt so monotonous to me, which would have been fine if I'd really connected with the characters, but I just didn't.

Aside from that, I've no problem with playing Fallout 3 or Dragon Age for 50 hours without ever becoming bored. I am just built for RPGs. Or maybe RPGs are just built for me. Either way, I fucking love them.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Atlas said:

" The only I've ever got RPG fatigue with was Lost Odyssey, but I attribute that to me just not liking the super-slow style of JRPG combat. "

Comparing LO's slow combat with other games of the genre is just crazy. There are some other slow games for sure but LO takes it to a whole new level imo. Even other games with very similar combat (Breath of Fire, Golden Sun, Persona 3/4, etc) is way faster than LO. It became especially painful when you had 3 characters double casting Divide... ugh. The long cast times for many spells also added to that very slow feeling in a lot of fights, I wouldn't call that speed normal at all for the genre.
calum_s_gunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By calum_s_gunn

Major FFXIII fatigue just set in. Most likely due to my uncontrollable boss-rage. I might throw the game into the sea.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#36  Edited By Atlas
@Zenaxzd said:
" @Atlas said:

" The only I've ever got RPG fatigue with was Lost Odyssey, but I attribute that to me just not liking the super-slow style of JRPG combat. "

Comparing LO's slow combat with other games of the genre is just crazy. There are some other slow games for sure but LO takes it to a whole new level imo. Even other games with very similar combat (Breath of Fire, Golden Sun, Persona 3/4, etc) is way faster than LO. It became especially painful when you had 3 characters double casting Divide... ugh. The long cast times for many spells also added to that very slow feeling in a lot of fights, I wouldn't call that speed normal at all for the genre. "
Well I didn't want to say that I didn't like LO because it was a bad game, because a lot of people seem to like it, but I completely agree with you. The combat is far slower than any game I've ever seen. It's just ridiculous. Not to mention the brutal load screens and long cutscenes. That game just moves at an absolute snail's pace. That said, I did get up to Disc 4 before I packed it in, so I was like 30-40 hours through it, but that's only because I have a high tolerance for that.
sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By sickVisionz

I don't usually burn out on good RPGs as long as I can still level and learn new abilities.  If I do start to tire out on them, i'll play a different genre.  Usually something fast paced since most of the RPGs I play are slow paced with the exception of Mass Effect 2. 

It's also not bad to walk away from a game for a little bit and then come back to it.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Atlas: I actually really liked the game (105 hours put into it, every achievement except for 2) but yes the combat is insanely slow compared to other games of the genre.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#39  Edited By gla55jAw

I've only made it through probably around half of the RPGs that I started. And out of those probably 75% are Final Fantasy's. For me though it's usually not that I get burned out, it's that I get stuck or a part gets too annoying to get past and I stop having fun. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same problem with Darksiders, I'll be playing and having fun but I will soon get bored and play Assassins Creed 2, Borderlands, or Call of Duty World At War the rest of the night.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#41  Edited By gla55jAw
@Godlyawesomeguy said:
" I have the same problem with Darksiders, I'll be playing and having fun but I will soon get bored and play Assassins Creed 2, Borderlands, or Call of Duty World At War the rest of the night. "
Wow that is a lot of games to be playing all in one night.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gla55jAw said:
" @Godlyawesomeguy said:
" I have the same problem with Darksiders, I'll be playing and having fun but I will soon get bored and play Assassins Creed 2, Borderlands, or Call of Duty World At War the rest of the night. "
Wow that is a lot of games to be playing all in one night. "
I will play a little bit of each.