RPGs on wheels

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By LocoRocker

I just got back to playing Forza Motorsport 2 again and realised that pretty much all games of this type are RPGs at their core.

You race, earn cash and experience, invest that into better tunung parts, tackle tougher challenges, earn more cash, get a new ride, repeat.
I guess I enjoy the concept a lot.
There's nothing like the feeling you get when you finally get used to the handling of your freshly fine-tuned car and are able to hit that curve apex closer and closer to perfection on each lap.
LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LocoRocker

I just got back to playing Forza Motorsport 2 again and realised that pretty much all games of this type are RPGs at their core.

You race, earn cash and experience, invest that into better tunung parts, tackle tougher challenges, earn more cash, get a new ride, repeat.
I guess I enjoy the concept a lot.
There's nothing like the feeling you get when you finally get used to the handling of your freshly fine-tuned car and are able to hit that curve apex closer and closer to perfection on each lap.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Have you seen the new Burnout? Whenever you crash into another car, you enter into a random battle with them. Crash into them enough times in battle, and the car performs its limit break: Omnibus :P.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

No story and universe = not rpg
RPGs aren't rpgs because of experience, that's  a horrible definition.

Hell, we don't even classify things like Marvel: UA as a rpg. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
@SmugDarkLoser said:
RPGs aren't rpgs because of experience, that's  a horrible definition. "
I....agree with you? Doubt and jokes aside, let me state this: RPG elements do not an RPG make. I can name many games as examples, but do I need to?
LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LocoRocker
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"  No story and universe = not rpgRPGs aren't rpgs because of experience, that's  a horrible definition. Hell, we don't even classify things like Marvel: UA as a rpg.  "
You're a driver in this parallel universe, going after the world title? ;)

Jokes aside, you are correct. The term RPG might not be the perfect way to classify it, still the grinding, leveling up, rising challenge and other typical "RPG" elements are prevalent in most racing games, which in my opinion definitely adds to the genre.
LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LocoRocker
@Video_Game_King said:
" Have you seen the new Burnout? Whenever you crash into another car, you enter into a random battle with them. Crash into them enough times in battle, and the car performs its limit break: Omnibus :P. "
Haha, it would be hillarious if every crash in Paradise ended up in a turn based battle.
Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Ecinsiefil

There's definitely a lot of grinding, especially in Gran Turismo/Forza Motorsport.