• 78 results
#1 Edited by p_p_o_d (544 posts) -

so develop are reporting that EA has early dev kits for the next xbox and are working on next gen games.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/37618/Develop-source-New-Xbox-console-on-desks-at-EA

nothing on specs but they do think MS might rush something together at e3 so Nintendo doesn't steal there thunder.

IMO the next xbox and ps4 are kind of a lock for 2012/2013.

Both have nearly all there A teams releasing games this year which makes me think they are rushing out all there current gen projects and after this bath of games all there big teams start working on next gen games.

#2 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

This will be a perennial rumor until they actually announce the next console.

#3 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Great was just getting tierd of the 360. Better use DX11

#4 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

MS might want decent games at launch so if its a 2013 launch you would expect you'd start getting machines out now.  Doesn't mean an announcement will be at E3.

#5 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1819 posts) -

This is a huge mistake if it's true. They just released Kinect. People aren't going to be willing to buy a whole new counsel when they just sank so much money into their current one. 

#6 Posted by drag (1206 posts) -

Yea working on stuff now so they can start showing it off next year. 

#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said:
" This is a huge mistake if it's true. They just released Kinect. People aren't going to be willing to buy a whole new counsel when they just sank so much money into their current one.  "
Oh my god that is magical. Someone please tell me you too get the joke. I need someone to laugh with at Johnny V's expense!!
#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I dont want to hear this. I do not have the money to buy another system. Lots of people are on tight budgets. Kinect just came out. ALong with the 360 slim. This really pisses me off. 

#9 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

As previously said, they only recently released kinect which has been doing them well. There's no way they would announce a new console this quickly, maybe next E3 we might see something but deffo not this year. I wouldn't mind it though, I think the current generation of consoles is getting stale and out-dated. 

#10 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1336 posts) -

cant trust a site that thinks the 360 launched in may 2005

#11 Edited by onarum (2273 posts) -

Games take a whole lot of time to develop, if they are just receiving dev kits now that means we will only be seeing a true reveal next year, or even in 2013.

#12 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

Highly doubt it.

#13 Posted by p_p_o_d (544 posts) -
@drag said:
" Yea working on stuff now so they can start showing it off next year.  "
or this year we get tech demos and CG trailers!!!!  

I guess it depends on how much they can show.     

Internal teams would have had dev kits for a while now so they could have stuff to show but since most of them have games out this holiday I dont see them doing that.    "hey here is a trailer for Forza 4.... now here is a peek at next gens forza 5.... ".
#14 Posted by onarum (2273 posts) -

I doubt they'll show anything unless they have solid software to go with it, only tech demos won't do it.

#15 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

"early" dev kits can be 2 years out from launch.  They are just free PC hardware that approximates what they think the architecture of the new console will be so that dev gets working and they have  launch games ready that don't totally suck and look like last gen ports.

#16 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

I was thinking of finally upgrading to to a 360 slim but I guess I'll wait

#17 Posted by Hosstile17 (768 posts) -

Yo, games take a long time to make. That new Xbox could be a long way off.
#18 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I don't believe this, it just sounds like people jumping on the hype bandwagon to get attention.  Now that Nintendo has announced a new system, anyone can make up random rumours and there's a good chance they'll turn out to be true.

I don't doubt that Nintendo's announcement will have pushed Sony and Microsoft's plans forward, but I don't see either of them announcing anything this soon.  I certainly don't see why they'd rush them out before seeing what Nintendo is planning, especially since Kinect has been such a huge success.

This just doesn't make sense on any level.
#19 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

I still don't know how calling the next Xbox the 720 caught on.  It's so bad.

#20 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -

I bet they'll do it, and it will be fully backwards compatible including Kinect support. 

#21 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I can't see why not. If Microsoft want to have big release titles ready for the launch, they must have some prototypes out there for the major publishers to look at.
Doesn't mean we'll see ANYTHING about it this E3 though.

#22 Posted by p_p_o_d (544 posts) -
@alternate said:
" "early" dev kits can be 2 years out from launch.  They are just free PC hardware that approximates what they think the architecture of the new console will be so that dev gets working and they have  launch games ready that don't totally suck and look like last gen ports. "
If i remember correctly 3rd parties only got Kinect dev kits a few months before MS's big NATAL reveal at e3 09.

They still showed some internal tech demos and CG videos and didn't show anything from 3rd parties until next year.

they could do the same this year.  

Give it a dumb code name.    a teaser for 343i's Halo 4.   a look at next gen Unreal engine.   some Idea's of what next gen LIVE will be. get some random celebs.   then close it with "we will have more to show you in the coming months".... then e3 next year will be a full blowout and release holiday 2012.     

#23 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@endaround said:
" MS might want decent games at launch so if its a 2013 launch"
I know. It's why I'd be suspicious the rumour is that EA have them.
#24 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -

Game Informer is now reporting the same thing about the new console and EA working with it for the last few months.

#25 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1743 posts) -

If they release it in 2012, I think Nintendo will be screwed.

#26 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
" I can't see why not. If Microsoft want to have big release titles ready for the launch, they must have some prototypes out there for the major publishers to look at.Doesn't mean we'll see ANYTHING about it this E3 though. "
The source here claims that they're not only working on games, but will be showing it off at E3 for a release next year.
Obviously Microsoft will be working on a new system, but releasing it that early doesn't make sense, I highly doubt they're at the stage of developing even prototype games.
#27 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @PhatSeeJay said:
" I can't see why not. If Microsoft want to have big release titles ready for the launch, they must have some prototypes out there for the major publishers to look at.Doesn't mean we'll see ANYTHING about it this E3 though. "
The source here claims that they're not only working on games, but will be showing it off at E3 for a release next year.
Obviously Microsoft will be working on a new system, but releasing it that early doesn't make sense, I highly doubt they're at the stage of developing even prototype games.
"
You calling BS? 
#28 Edited by SomeJerk (3388 posts) -

They have an idea of the hardware they want for the next Xbox so it's perfectly possible that they've put together a devkit-computers matching those specifications for larger developing houses, much like how dual G5s ran 360 demos early on in trade shows and the like.

#29 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

" @PhatSeeJay said:

The source here claims that they're not only working on games, but will be showing it off at E3 for a release next year. Obviously Microsoft will be working on a new system, but releasing it that early doesn't make sense, I highly doubt they're at the stage of developing even prototype games.
"
I'm confident Microsoft already have a prototype of the core system and if EA were to have it, they are probably more testing some older games now and push them through 1080p.
But as you say, it makes little sense to release a new system already next year. The current 360 slim works fine and they are still pushing their new functions. On the other hand... They don't have many massive exclusives beyond Gears 3 so they do need something big to push for next year.
#30 Edited by FourWude (2245 posts) -

INITIAL SPECS LISTED BELOW, THESE ARE NOT FINALISED BY ANY MEANS, JUST WHAT'S IN THE XBOX 720 BOX SENT TO EA.

• Six Core 3.6 Ghz Processor. 65nm. (Based on Intel i7 designs)
  • Off the shelf ATI HD7850 1GB (Prototype)
  • 2GB GDDR5 Shared memory (512 bit memory width)
  • 1TB HDD as standard.
  • Blu-Ray drive
  • 3D Technology as standard

THIS IS JUST A PROTOTYPE BOX. NOT FINAL HARDWARE.

#31 Posted by DougQuaid (1275 posts) -

The Xbox is coming.

#32 Posted by ConstantRa1n (293 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said:
" This is a huge mistake if it's true. They just released Kinect. People aren't going to be willing to buy a whole new counsel when they just sank so much money into their current one.  "
Wait... Who would actually waste money on a Kinect?
#33 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I'm all for it, never own a xbox 360 because of hardware problems, maybe if this has backwards compatibility, then that's good. I doubt they want nintendo to have better looking multiplatform games.

Of course this is just a rumor, but when you hear more and more, there is definetly something to it. So i'll wait for more rumors, but I wouldn't be suprised if they tried to make a new console now, or in the stages of designing it.

#34 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@ConstantRa1n said:
" @SoldierG654342 said:
Wait... Who would actually waste money on a Kinect? "
You are kidding right?  Kinect has been a HUGE hit for MS.
#35 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -
@FourWude said:
"

INITIAL SPECS LISTED BELOW, THESE ARE NOT FINALISED BY ANY MEANS, JUST WHAT'S IN THE XBOX 720 BOX SENT TO EA.

• 1TB HDD as standard.
  • Blu-Ray drive

"
I shared this news with my husband, including the specs.  He asks if it also comes with a Mtn. Dew dispenser option.
#36 Posted by FourWude (2245 posts) -
@melcene said:
"I shared this news with my husband, including the specs.  He asks if it also comes with a Mtn. Dew dispenser option. "

No, but it comes with plenty of sax as standard.
#37 Posted by Bollard (5827 posts) -

Two things:

The consoles won't be out till 2014, seriously. And it won't be called the 720. Because that is a terrible name.

#38 Edited by pweidman (2361 posts) -

This news makes total sense.  MS needs games to launch with, so dev kits have to be in the hands the big developers and publishers 2-3 years early.  And I hope those specs above are real.  They better damn well build a system that stays cutting edge longer, and doesn't hardware fail upon launch.  Hope they finalize their design with much more memory though.  And if the 1 TB drive is for real, full game, and episodic digital distribution is another obvious thing that'll be featured in the next generation of consoles.
#39 Posted by drag (1206 posts) -
@Quacktastic said:
" I still don't know how calling the next Xbox the 720 caught on.  It's so bad. "
It does sound pretty dumb but never mind, just a simple bit of shorthand instead of saying 'the next games console from Microsoft.' 
#40 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@FourWude said:
" @melcene said:
"I shared this news with my husband, including the specs.  He asks if it also comes with a Mtn. Dew dispenser option. "
No, but it comes with plenty of sax as standard. "
These specs have been burned into my head. Sax included.
#41 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" I dont want to hear this. I do not have the money to buy another system. Lots of people are on tight budgets. Kinect just came out. ALong with the 360 slim. This really pisses me off.  "
you sure are one of those fullstop enthusiasts 
#42 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" I dont want to hear this. I do not have the money to buy another system. Lots of people are on tight budgets. Kinect just came out. ALong with the 360 slim. This really pisses me off.  "
you sure are one of those fullstop enthusiasts  "
Not when I just bought the Slim 360. But if it doesn't come out for a wile it should be fine. And I am not for full stop at all. 
#43 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:
" Two things:The consoles won't be out till 2014, seriously. And it won't be called the 720. Because that is a terrible name. "
Who knows, maybe they will release earlier to shit all over Wii2's party.
#44 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Not when I just bought the Slim 360. But if it doesn't come out for a wile it should be fine. And I am not for full stop at all.  "
i'm..talking about the punctuation mark 
#45 Posted by Borodin (417 posts) -

Didn't kinect make the majority of it's impact on the casual'market? I'm not sure the majority of people who bought kinect would necessarily be the first wave market for a new console whose selling points, at this crazy early point, seem more technical than innovative/gimmicky. So yeah, I don't see klnect as a reason not announce a new console around nowish especially if the new console supports kinect right out of the box?

#46 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Not when I just bought the Slim 360. But if it doesn't come out for a wile it should be fine. And I am not for full stop at all.  "
i'm..talking about the punctuation mark  "
Are we really going back to Grammar nazis? 
#47 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
i'm..talking about the punctuation mark  "
Are we really going back to Grammar nazis?  "
If i were a grammar nazi i would applaud your usage of the full stop >_>
#48 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4795 posts) -

ugh

#49 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

Good thing they spent all that money on Kinect.

#50 Posted by Surkov (990 posts) -
@FourWude said:
"

• 1TB HDD as standard.
  • Blu-Ray drive

"
I don't believe any of this.
For one an ATI 7850 isn't even a real videocard, so it can't be off the self. Two, the six-core i7 is fabricated at a 32nm process, so making it a 65nm process just sounds dumb and a waste of energy. I also think a 1TB hardrive is way to generous for Microsoft. 

Also if it were based off an i7, that would mess up backwards compatibility big time.  An i7 is based on x86 architecture, The current gen consoles are based off a Power PC type architecture. 

This prototype doesn't sound plausible at all.