• 85 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -

I laughed so hard when I read this.. Its still funny to me.. I don't even know if it'll make Xbox/Respawn (more) money, but??.

Anyway, so Respawn's Entertainment's new game is supposed to be Xbox ∞ exclusive, plus 360. No PlayStation or Nintendo here, chums. So for exclusives, this would go against Killzone: Shadow Fall. I don't know if people are really clamoring to get that new Killzone. And I don't know if people will realize what Respawn is, nor know about the fact that Jason West just left.

This shit sounds crazy though!:

The new game from Respawn is a futuristic multiplayer-centric online shooter, one of our sources says. The source describes the game as a battle of Davids and Goliaths. The Davids are heavily-armed foot soldiers. The Goliaths are the giant exosekeltons—Titans—that these soldiers can pilot. These Titans are big mech-style walkers that move with an agility not seen in games like Mechwarrior or Steel Battalions.. In fact, they say, the game is always-online.

Kotaku: The Next-Gen Xbox Is Getting a Hell of an Exclusive, Sources Say

This shit is so crazy-cool! And Respawn is confirmed to be at E3, too. :D

#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19140 posts) -

Meanwhile:

We've heard from other sources that Microsoft is not where they want to be at this point in the pre-launch development of Durango. A reliable source—one who was not part of our reporting about the Respawn game—tells us that Microsoft is as much as six months behind in producing content for the new console, despite an expected late-2013 launch. Another tells us that Microsoft recently cancelled several internal next-gen projects because they were not coming together as hoped. These sources have told us that, comparatively, Sony is in better shape and further along with hardware and software development for PlayStation 4.

We'd also heard from an industry insider that Microsoft was aggressively trying to sign exclusive games for Durango. Given the lack of internal development at Microsoft—their internal studios, while talented, are outnumbered by those of Sony and Nintendo—and given some of the apparent recent stumbles and slowdowns internally, signing an exclusive Respawn-EA game would suit the Durango quite well.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (13832 posts) -

So, I guess I won't be playing this then? *shrug*

#4 Edited by bigjeffrey (4153 posts) -

Creators of Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare the best game this generation. COunt me IN.

Also KOTAKI hates Cheetos.

#5 Posted by benpicko (1923 posts) -

Any source other than Kotaku?

#6 Posted by Ubersmake (753 posts) -
#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

I wonder if it comes to PC.

#8 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -
#9 Posted by Andorski (5107 posts) -

Sounds kinda crazy given the trend towards multiplatform development in order to recoup AAA-title development costs. This probably means that Microsoft is throwing serious cash to grab this series. If true, then Microsoft will probably set up this game to be their "Gears of War" for this generation.

Sucks for me then. I will never own any of Respawn's games.

#10 Posted by Angouri (223 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Those all cite back to Kotaku... not independently confirmed.

I wonder how this will impact CoD.

#11 Edited by believer258 (11035 posts) -

Nothing about that description really sells me on it. I mean, it sounds like it could be fun, but it's a multiplayer-centric always-online shooter. I've always considered multiplayer a "side-thing" to my regular gaming habits, something I fool around with when I don't feel like digging into a game, and I hate the notion of always online (though it isn't so bad if the game is a game that can only be played with other people across the internet).

#12 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1210 posts) -

This will be interesting. Really excited to see this upcoming arms race.

#13 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@andorski said:

Sounds kinda crazy given the trend towards multiplatform development in order to recoup AAA-title development costs. This probably means that Microsoft is throwing serious cash to grab this series. If true, then Microsoft will probably set up this game to be their "Gears of War" for this generation.

Sucks for me then. I will never own any of Respawn's games.

You're thinking in terms of current gen, not next gen. Expect the opening of this gen to be bloody in terms of getting exclusive anything to help them boost their platform. There will still be more multiplatform titles but more for PS4/PC or Durango/PC. I can see the console makers not caring about stuff going to PC just as long as it stays away from the other guy's console for as long as they can do it.

EDIT: I read through your comment fast. My guess is that the console manufacturer incentives are just enough to entice publishers and there is a good chance that most of these third party exclusives will end up being for a certain period of time, not indefinite.

#14 Posted by Veektarius (4134 posts) -

Yeah. Makes perfect sense. People thought that the console exclusive had gone the way of the dodo, but it was just in hibernation until the next spring.

#15 Edited by EXTomar (4120 posts) -

Respawn laughs all the way to bank? I mean the reason why exclusivity was so rare wasn't because of the quality of the platforms but the absurd expensive compared to the audience size. Having a game that is hundreds of millions needs upwards of 10 million to buy it. That doesn't happen any more on any single platform. That won't happen on any next generation platform either.

This is a sucker's bet that is great for Respawn. They don't need to figure out how to get 10 million users so their job just got a whole lot easier.

#16 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

Nothing about that description really sells me on it. I mean, it sounds like it could be fun, but it's a multiplayer-centric always-online shooter. I've always considered multiplayer a "side-thing" to my regular gaming habits, something I fool around with when I don't feel like digging into a game, and I hate the notion of always online (though it isn't so bad if the game is a game that can only be played with other people across the internet).

CoD 4 was a multiplayer centric online shooter, but that didn't stop it (and MW2) from having great campaigns.

#17 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

You do know what another source means right? You're just linking to other articles that all cite Kotaku. Not saying what they're saying is bullshit or not but posting another article regurgitating the original one doesn't count as another source.

#18 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -
#19 Posted by believer258 (11035 posts) -

@believer258 said:

CoD 4 was a multiplayer centric online shooter, but that didn't stop it (and MW2) from having great campaigns.

Yeah, but the Call of Duty series has always shown off their campaigns as well as their multiplayer, at least somewhat. And even then, unless this game's campaign is not great but bloody revolutionary - like Half-Life revolutionary - just the game isn't going to sell me on a whole system that I'm already fairly suspicious of, especially when I think the PS4 looks fairly strong and I've already got a decent PC.

#20 Edited by Jay_Ray (1003 posts) -

It sounds like and probably will be a good game but at the end of the day it is another damn shooter and there are just a ton of those out there.

#21 Posted by tread311 (352 posts) -

People who get excited when things are exclusive to one platform confuse me.

#22 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@tread311 said:

People who get excited when things are exclusive to one platform confuse me.

Fanboys

#23 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -
#24 Posted by Bollard (5022 posts) -

You do know what another source means right? You're just linking to other articles that all cite Kotaku. Not saying what they're saying is bullshit or not but posting another article regurgitating the original one doesn't count as another source.

To be honest, that's more of a problem with how god awful games journalism is, than his fault. Everyone just blindly citing everyone without doing fact checking...

It's how this happens: http://x-surface.tumblr.com/post/41282771026/x-surface-dont-believe-everything-you-read

#25 Posted by Benny (1936 posts) -

Wow, what the hell is going on at Microsoft? If those rumors are true about them being 6 months behind on development their launch line-up could be rather barren.

#26 Posted by SSully (4059 posts) -

I read this and couldn't stop thinking of Battlefield 2142.

FUCKKKKKKK Give me another 2142. Titan mode was so damn fun, and there was nothing better then landing on a mech with a drop pod...

#27 Edited by august (3811 posts) -

Kinda surprised that even Microsoft would have enough money to throw at Activision to keep it off other platforms.

#28 Posted by TooWalrus (12970 posts) -

/shrug

#29 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

To be honest, that's more of a problem with how god awful games journalism is, than his fault. Everyone just blindly citing everyone without doing fact checking...

It's how this happens: http://x-surface.tumblr.com/post/41282771026/x-surface-dont-believe-everything-you-read

Wow, gross.

#30 Edited by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

/shrug

that about sums it up. smart for respawn (chunk of money thrown at a studio with an untested IP and new-ish team), but i'm not really sure if it'll pay off for microsoft.

#31 Posted by rickwilliams (32 posts) -

I'm sure it'll be a big hit, if the rumors turn out, and it'll sway a lot of people, but i'm not into multiplayer at all, and not a big modern FPS player as well - I'm still far more convinced by knack, the witness, and really looking forward to Second Son.

#32 Posted by canucks23 (1086 posts) -
@august said:

Kinda surprised that even Microsoft would have enough money to throw at Activision to keep it off other platforms.

EA's putting this out.

#33 Posted by Master_Funk (723 posts) -

So Microsoft gets Respawn game as exclusive, and the rumour is that Sony is getting Final fantasy 15 as an exclusive.

Console wars have indeed begun.

#34 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2810 posts) -
#35 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9728 posts) -

Hey guys,

RUMORS.

#36 Posted by crusader8463 (14303 posts) -

Meh. If it's a console only shooter I have zero interest in it as I only play shooters on a MKB. If Microsoft comes out with some Windows 8 tie in that means all games developed on the X-Box 3 will work on a PC as well then I will be interested. Sucks for the console guys who might have wanted to play the game though.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

@august said:

It would also be kind of silly for them to throw money at Activision considering that EA is publishing Respawn's game. But it is Microsoft, so I wouldn't put past them to do something that stupid.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Durango truly is six months behind on all counts, because once again, it's Microsoft. It wouldn't be a hardware launch without some sort of amazing screw-up.

#38 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

I can see this being true. Microsoft's first party development is piss poor compared to Sony and Nintendo and they have a lot of money to throw around for these kind of deals. This generation they reaped the most benefit with time exclusive games or content.

#39 Posted by NegativeCero (2925 posts) -

I find it hard to care when I know absolutely nothing about the game yet.

#40 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2353 posts) -

What's the point of this?? Not that Im excited for what they have to offer, but they would make more money if it wasent exclusive?

#41 Posted by kpaadet (409 posts) -

The guys behind CoD is making another FPS, this industry is just so full of surprises and innovation.

#42 Posted by EpicSteve (6433 posts) -

Did they mention if this game is sexist or racist?

ZING!

#43 Posted by Sinusoidal (1152 posts) -

The new game from Respawn is a futuristic multiplayer-centric online shooter...

That's as far as I made it. Wake me when someone decides to innovate.

#44 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (998 posts) -

We are going from zero console sci fi, online only shooters to two console sci fi, online only shooter in a short amount of time.

#45 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

Respawn presents: Xbox 720 Pizza App

#46 Edited by Andorski (5107 posts) -

@chavtheworld said:

@colourful_hippie said:

Wow, gross.

It's not the best example considering that IGN and Kotaku (the two major gaming press outlets that the gaming community catches doing unreliable reporting) didn't even fall for that fake rumor. The guy who created the X-Surface email tip even got angry at a CVG editor who immediately - and correctly - called him out on his shit story.

Not to mention that IGN, Polygon, and Gamespot all stated that Kotaku is the main source within the first paragraph of their respective articles. So they did the bare minimum of what's expected of them in reporting the rumor (with the better alternative being an article where they did some investigation, found new information that was reliable, and then make the report).

#47 Posted by Snail (8467 posts) -

An *actual* Xbox exclusive?

I don't believe you.

#48 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

Respawn presents: Xbox 720 Pizza App

"Double pepperoni, OSCAR MIKE!"

#49 Posted by EXTomar (4120 posts) -

It might be a ping pong game that uses Kinect.

#50 Posted by StarvingGamer (7553 posts) -

Well, I was already probably not going to play it, so I guess I'm ok with definitely not playing it.