#1 Edited by Alekss (327 posts) -

The Wii U was released back in November and, since then, owners have complained about the sluggish interface and some developers were upset by the reduced CPU speed.

Through the latest

3.0.0 firmware update

, Nintendo has apparently upgraded the speed of both the CPU and the GPU.

The CPU has been improved from the 1.24 GHz stock frequency to a whopping 3.24 GHz.

The GPU has also been increased form the regular 550 MHz to 800 MHz.

The report arrives from a TV Tropes wiki member and its information can't be verified just yet.

Source

#2 Edited by Superfriend (1526 posts) -

Does that mean that Mickey Mouse game won´t run like complete shit now?

Probably not, but hey at least they´re trying to do something.

#3 Edited by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

I could understand them trying to squeeze a little extra juice out of them, but the upgrade on the CPU speed is crazy.

#4 Edited by RedCream (704 posts) -

That shift on the CPU speed is too much. Wouldn't that cause the Wii U to overheat?

#5 Edited by Kinapuff (244 posts) -

It's almost as if someone eventually got their head out of their ass over at Nintendo and realized that they goofed big time when it came to the Wii U hardware.

#6 Edited by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

We're going to believe a TV Tropes wiki member? Really?

That jump in CPU is nuts, if not impossible. Unless, of course, you're talking about baseline CPU clock vs what it could jump up to when tasks call for it. So, like a PC CPU set at 1.8 but with a dynamic max of 3.2. That would make more sense. So, perhaps Nintendo has just increased the baseline CPU speed while maintaining the original CPU max. That could have an impact on menus and low-end tasks like that. Though, it's an interesting decision to make at this point.

Of course, that's just speculation, as this is a questionable rumor.

#7 Edited by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

Homedrewers have said that that is what the CPU & GPU's clock crystal is clocked at and that with said update it up clocked to that spead, also, the Wii U uses a Power6 base chip & the updated speads are placed back into rumor mode.

HamSandMan77

We're supposed to believe this guy? He's saying, "Info from homebrewers, 2Ch & people who have dev kits."

#8 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Sounds fishy, but the latest update did improve performance significantly. Whatever they did it's sure to improve even more during the summer update

#9 Posted by TheLegendOfMart (239 posts) -

False, the base clock for Wii U is 248MHz which is close to 243MHz of the Wii for compatibilities sake, the CPU has a 5x Multiplier that's locked at 3x for Wii and 5x for Wii U, there is no way they boosted the clocks by over 2GHz the system would melt.

#10 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

That sounds like a very questionable rumor.

#11 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

That sounds like a very questionable rumor.

#12 Edited by Szlifier (479 posts) -

You're late to the game, it was confirmed as bullshit two days ago. Move along.

#13 Edited by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

So will my Wii U not sound like a space ship every time it turns on.

#14 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

That sounds too fucking insane to be true.

#15 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

This won't happen, overclocking is not something a manufacturer would do. The components are only stable at the speeds they are designed for.

#16 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I wish I could double/triple my clocks. But I like my computer not being on fire.

#17 Edited by alternate (2682 posts) -

The CPU has been improved from the 1.24 GHz stock frequency to a whopping 3.24 GHz.

Bull. Shit.

Even it you could overclock that kind of margin the voltage ratings, power usage and heat generated would have to be factored in to the design from the start. Which would mean they shipped with a deliberately under clocked cpu, by nearly 2/3'rds, making the costs of manufacture much higher than necessary.

#18 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

If it's true, there mustn't be more frame drops in Batman Arkham City :P

#19 Edited by Hailinel (23902 posts) -

@szlifier said:

You're late to the game, it was confirmed as bullshit two days ago. Move along.

We're going to believe a TV Tropes wiki member? Really?

That's what I thought when reading this.

#20 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

If that joke is actually true can we hopefully expect to see YouTube videos of Wii U's spontaneously combusting?

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

ITS OVER 9000!

#22 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

Why does this get posted everywhere? It is virtually impossible. It's absolutely ridiculous. A minor increase is possible and has precedent but this specific rumor is just plain silly.

#23 Edited by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

Not to sound like a dick but I hope this overclocking causes a bunch of Wii U's to break. I would find that hilarious cause I'm an asshole.

#24 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (983 posts) -

This won't happen, overclocking is not something a manufacturer would do. The components are only stable at the speeds they are designed for.

I know its not the same thing as this, but Sony did it for the PSP, but it was also intentionally underclocked at launch to improve the battery life. But yeah this Wii U stuff sounds like bull.

#25 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Why would Nintendo ship their system underclocked that much? The rumor sounds unbelievable to me.

#26 Edited by Kazona (3059 posts) -

So how long before we see videos of the Wii U catching on fire?

I call bullshit on this rumor.

#27 Edited by SpudBug (633 posts) -

lol rite, and my cousin's uncle works for nintendo and they have super mario bros 7 already and it's out in japan

#28 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -
#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -
#30 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2312 posts) -

This is among the most retarded things I heard today.

#31 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Souce: some guy over at tvtropes.

Are Nintendo fan boys that desperate? Pathetic..

#32 Edited by believer258 (11635 posts) -