• 135 results
#101 Posted by thugg1280 (86 posts) -

that's cool nice to see stuff like this.

#102 Edited by Sooty (8083 posts) -

@krataur said:

I...I kind of want to buy this just because of this, even though I don't even own a Wii U. Is that strange? I don't think so.

It is strange.

#103 Edited by WickedCobra03 (2100 posts) -

That's freaking awesome! I might have to pick the guide up just for that!

#104 Edited by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (644 posts) -

Well that's just really awesome. I like that it isn't a blatant reference, but it's one of the many things we all remember Ryan for and the fact that is with a bomb section just makes it obvious to us, but to others they'd be scratching their heads. It's very nice.

#105 Edited by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

@hailinel said:

@crusader8463 said:

Who buys Strategy guides?

That's what you're focusing on here?

Yup. Another person saying Hey that's neat isn't going to add much. The only thing I could think of is how someone found this out to begin with. I honestly didn't realize they still made these let alone people bought them. The internet has all that stuff for free.

Technically, you are paying for the internet...so it's not free.

As for the actual purpose of this thread, THAT IS FUCKING AWESOME.

#106 Edited by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

That is seriously one of the best GIFs I've seen in a long while. Sure, it's not very clear, but the looping on it plays so goddamn well.

#107 Posted by HerbieBug (3836 posts) -

Aww. Warm fuzzy feels. :)

#108 Posted by Hinamotto (66 posts) -

What a great gesture.

#109 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

I wish that I could convey the good feel vibes I'm feeling right now into words, but sadly I cannot. Still, that is incredibly awesome. I want to track down the person responsible for this and give them a hug.

#110 Posted by alternate (2654 posts) -

It is a cool mention but FYI it doesn't seem like it was a tribute. Brad and Jeff apparently knew about it at E3 (via comments on Jeff's Tumblr).

#111 Posted by GnaTSoL (777 posts) -

Who wrote this? Seems very out of context with the game, mentioning tuesday, but a very nice reference indeed. :)

#112 Edited by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

:'(

#113 Posted by Nev (534 posts) -

That is fantastic. So nice to see something so random give a little love to Ryan and Giant Bomb.

#114 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Ok well, thats amazing, and i tip my hat .

#115 Posted by MrCaptain (361 posts) -

haha! thats cool. It will be very confusing for a lot of people.

#116 Posted by medacris (611 posts) -

I like this. Just a nice little thing in memory of Ryan, not too distracting if you're not a Giant Bomb fan/don't know who Ryan is, heartwarming and awesome if you do.

#117 Edited by Zeik (2103 posts) -

It is a cool mention but FYI it doesn't seem like it was a tribute. Brad and Jeff apparently knew about it at E3 (via comments on Jeff's Tumblr).

Are you implying that they negotiated to get it in there themselves? Because just knowing about it doesn't negate it from being a tribute.

#118 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1678 posts) -
#119 Edited by alternate (2654 posts) -

@zeik said:

@alternate said:

Are you implying that they negotiated to get it in there themselves? Because just knowing about it doesn't negate it from being a tribute.

Nothing like that. I am saying that bit of the guide was written before E3 - someone friendly to the guys must have worked on it and sneaked in an insider reference. People were assuming it was a tribute to Ryan but it was all in place before he passed. Still a nice gesture - just not the one people seemed to assume.

Anonymous asked:Someone on NeoGAF found a really great reference to Giant Bomb, and more specifically to Ryan Davis in the official Prima strategy guide for Wind Waker HD. On the page for Bomb Island is the subtitle "Hey, Everybody, It's Tuesday!":

Jeff : Yeah, I remember hearing from Brad that there’d be some sort of reference in that guide awhile ago. Might’ve been right before E3? I forget the timing. Anyway, pretty cool! I had forgotten all about it!

#120 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (430 posts) -

I can't add anything new to this conversation but that's fucking awesome.

#121 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (518 posts) -

That's great :D

#122 Edited by RobotHamster (4155 posts) -

That is just really awesome!

#123 Edited by Zeik (2103 posts) -

@alternate: You can still give a tribute to someone who is alive. Obviously the intention would have been different originally if that was the case, but it would still be a tribute.

#124 Posted by Mezmero (1642 posts) -

Freaking awesome. Trying to forget his passing is a fool's errand when stuff like this happens. I miss you Ryan.

#125 Edited by supamon (1325 posts) -

Simply floored.

#126 Posted by crithon (2574 posts) -

WHAAAAAAAA, THAT'S..... Wow, that's awesome!

#127 Posted by TheHT (10248 posts) -

:D

#128 Posted by alternate (2654 posts) -

@zeik said:

@alternate: You can still give a tribute to someone who is alive. Obviously the intention would have been different originally if that was the case, but it would still be a tribute.

I am not sure why you are arguing semantics. A significant propotion of the thread assumed it was a response to Ryan's death. I was pointing out that it wasn't and instead was just a general nod (tribute if you must) to GB.

#129 Edited by fox01313 (5032 posts) -

Lovely, very nice writing & thanks to whoever did this.

#130 Posted by kagato (862 posts) -

Love it, just shows how many people Ryan touched the industry over, made me smile and feel a bit sad at the same time.

#131 Posted by EchoEcho (807 posts) -

I think people are forgetting another reason for buying a strategy guide is the collection aspect of it. My friend used to by every Final Fantasy with a strategy guide on day of release, not because he was going to open it up and follow it there and then but after the fact he could look through it and find any trinkets or secrets he missed, as well as little bits of trivia and artwork.

My girlfriend has bought more than a few strategy guides for games she doesn't even own, and has no intention of ever playing. She likes art; if the art for a game catches her eye and an official art book isn't available, she will totally settle for a guide.

#132 Posted by Chango (478 posts) -

That's lovely.

#133 Edited by rasko_the_brave (86 posts) -

awww

#134 Posted by StriderNo9 (1016 posts) -

Bought this guide just for this reference. Merry Christmas Ryan.

#135 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (427 posts) -

NICE, I miss Ryan :(

#136 Edited by WMoyer83 (585 posts) -

I usually don't buy strategy guides because I'm cheap and gamefaqs...but I will get this just because.

#137 Posted by Djspyd2000 (8 posts) -

That is amazing. Now I think I'm going to pick up a copy.