This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Apathylad (3065 posts) -

You might remember that there was a proposition that if we hit 5000 subscribers by tomorrow morning, the Bombcast split will be scrapped. I just thought it was a good idea to mention this to anyone who's on the fence about subscribing and/or upset about the Bombcast thing.  

http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/24039662160  

Also, both monthly and annual subscriptions will count towards the goal: 

http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/23981616724  

Update: 3,000 subscribers.  

3,900 subscribers...I think it's starting to look  like we won't make it. :(

We have until tomorrow, 10am PST to reach 5,000: 

http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/23978756807

#2 Posted by Gabriel (4050 posts) -

Not gonna happen, they set that 5,000 goal for a reason.. 

If it does great, but I doubt it.

#3 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Its lower than I thought it would be given all the medals on the forums.

#4 Edited by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

Don't sweat it.  Leaving this caveat in means they've as good as decided they aren't gonna do it, whatever happens.  Bank on it.

edit:  Oh, and if they're at 2.5k already, they're gonna hit 5k when America starts getting home from work, easy.

#5 Posted by Chango (482 posts) -

I bit. 50 is too much for me right now (though I really would like that awesome t-shirt). But for 5 bucks, I didn't even think about it.

#6 Posted by Hershey07 (156 posts) -

5k is gonna happen. 

#7 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -

How many hours left till their morning. I will have to wait till tomorrow to subscribe.

#8 Posted by Heartagram (1179 posts) -

I subscribed without hesitation happy to give my 50$

#9 Posted by Malphye (413 posts) -

I did my part to add on to the total.
Quick review, 3 hours in.... Worth it.

#10 Posted by Apathylad (3065 posts) -
@Webby: 10am PST
#11 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

I thought I responded to this already but I guess not. 

Yeah, I'm a bit lazy right now, I don't want to go to the bank and transfer money so that I'd have cash to pay for the subscription. I'll go after I workout and such, but I'll definitely be paying for the yearly subscription  because I love Whiskey Media, damnit!

#12 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2353 posts) -

Wait, how much is the yearly sub?

#13 Posted by Brendan (7521 posts) -

If a bunch of people put in just $5, 5000 can easily be reached for little cost per person. 

O GOD I SOUND LIKE A TV CHARITY WHAT HAVE I BECOME. 

#14 Posted by Brians (1454 posts) -

I'm switching to annual next month. Also whiskey media worth supporting.

#15 Posted by Pedro (80 posts) -

Got the monthly subscription but wish i went for the yearly one now...

#16 Posted by chinatown_1992@hotmail.com (9 posts) -

So close now

#17 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

$50 x 2500!?  That's like, seven hundred and seventy five million dollars!

#18 Edited by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

I love Whiskey Media, but my internet speeds are no where near good enough to stream HD videos. So, I can't really warrant spending $50 for a t-shirt.

I think that $5 (minus the t-shirt) would be a fair price.

#19 Posted by Brians (1454 posts) -
@pedro: It's easy to change.
#20 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

I don't know i kind of subscribed to have the full bombcast experience am i the only one feeling ripped off ?
#21 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -

Let's go let's go GB community!
#22 Posted by Vonocourt (2107 posts) -
@pedro: Just upgrade next month.
#23 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I signed up just to get to 5000, hopefully we'll reach it.

#24 Posted by Alphazero (1530 posts) -

$50 x 5000 = $250,000 

A 2-pack of Twinkies costs $1 in the Bay Area (Safeway.com). 

We have murdered them all! Dear God what have we done?

#25 Edited by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Here's what I don't like about that idea. It seems to make that assumption that if we don't reach the target, then people will eventually subscribe later just to get the Bombcast, and I really don't think it's gonna happen like that. I think in actuality, it may end up alienating a lot of users and possibly causing GB to lose some of their fanbase.

Personally, I'm still on the fence. I'd like to subscribe just to help you guys out of this dilemma, since I don't even watch the Bombcast, but I don't think the goal is going to be reached anyway, though I'm really surprised they've hit 2500 subscriptions already. On the other end, all the people that really wanted to sign up surely have done it already. (Except Vince! That slacker!)

#26 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
#27 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Won't happen

#28 Posted by MrOldboy (864 posts) -

I'm gonna wait to see if it does become free. thats the main feature I was willing to pay for and if it goes free, what would I be paying for.  

Doesn't really matter in the long run unless they have a way to prevent the full version from being pirated. 

#29 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" If a bunch of people put in just $5, 5000 can easily be reached for little cost per person.  O GOD I SOUND LIKE A TV CHARITY WHAT HAVE I BECOME.   "
That gold medal changed you, Brendan. I barely recognize you now.
#30 Posted by AlisterCat (5399 posts) -

Cant see 5K happening. Most people who are hardcore would have signed up already.

#31 Posted by Bamsen (330 posts) -

go 5 k

#32 Edited by sparks50 (370 posts) -

Doubt we'll reach 5000 without paypal, but I dont know the updated number so who knows.. Other than Ryan.

#33 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
@Webby: It's 1PM EST, I believe.
#34 Posted by shawny_25@hotmail.com (3 posts) -

hope the split does not happen even though I was happy to support the giant bomb gang anyway

#35 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

i will be surprised if we get to 5000, since i've watched the community quests and we always fall short, but i hope they make it

#36 Posted by gakon (1940 posts) -

If our track record with previous community quests is any indication...

#37 Edited by Gorikka (116 posts) -

So they go against their own beliefs by withholding existing content from non-subscribers...then they say they won't, as long as we pay for it? I'm glad they've sort of listened to the outcry, but I really hope Giant Bomb doesn't go any further down this road. I want them to look back and laugh at this misguided attempt at monetization in two years, rather than having it mark the gradual homogenization and downfall of the site.

#38 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -
@gakon5 said:
" If our track record with previous community quests is any indication... "
#39 Posted by Lakus (21 posts) -
@Jimbo:  More like 125,000 dollars.
#40 Posted by Marz (5608 posts) -

they want $25,000 a month to keep the bombcast the way it is?

#41 Posted by AlisterCat (5399 posts) -
@Gorikka said:
" So they go against their own beliefs by withholding existing content from non-subscribers...then they say they won't, as long as we pay for it? I'm glad they've sort of listened to the outcry, but I really hope Giant Bomb doesn't go any further down this road. I want them to look back and laugh at this misguided attempt at monetization in two years, rather than having it mark the gradual homogenization and downfall of the site. "
If you listened to the podcast you'd know that Giant Bomb runs twice as long as the others and they wanted it to be reduced to 1 hour (not the bombcast guys). Having the second extra hour that they normally do as a paid thing allows them to justify the extra cost of man hours used, extra hard drive space, editing times and bandwidth. I am not trying to defend them. This is just what they said and you know what? I believe them.
#42 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -
@AlisterCat: See, but its not paid content, if they still release it for free. Which just throws that justification out the door.
#43 Posted by Apathylad (3065 posts) -
@Ravenousrattler said:
" i will be surprised if we get to 5000, since i've watched the community quests and we always fall short, but i hope they make it "
In this case, I'm hoping most users don't care about quests. I subscribed, and I have no interest in those quests. 
#44 Posted by AlisterCat (5399 posts) -
@Mrnitropb said:
" @AlisterCat: See, but its not paid content, if they still release it for free. Which just throws that justification out the door. "
I think that 'free' bit is just them trying to prevent exactly what is happening though by giving it away. Time exclusivity is a concept in gaming all the time. They don't want to deny users the second bit completely. I wouldn't want that. I don't want it to be split at all actually. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt as a poor judgement. Not the malicious thing people make it out to be.
#45 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

well i'm not a total jerk. I will put in 5 bucks to try to save the bombcast, but tomorrow ill cancel the recurring. Has anyone confirmed that monthly subscriptions count? Also, we can't actually see what amount of subs they are at. I'd like to believe that GB wouldn't mislead us but after last night I know they are will to be misleading if they have to in order to survive.

#46 Posted by Gooddoggy (409 posts) -

Put in my $5 to save the Bombcast...sigh

#47 Posted by MartinDN (127 posts) -
@Supermarius said:
" well i'm not a total jerk. I will put in 5 bucks to try to save the bombcast, but tomorrow ill cancel the recurring. Has anyone confirmed that monthly subscriptions count? Also, we can't actually see what amount of subs they are at. I'd like to believe that GB wouldn't mislead us but after last night I know they are will to be misleading if they have to in order to survive. "
Ryan confirmed that they do yes.
#48 Posted by Apathylad (3065 posts) -
@MartinDN said:

" @Supermarius said:

" well i'm not a total jerk. I will put in 5 bucks to try to save the bombcast, but tomorrow ill cancel the recurring. Has anyone confirmed that monthly subscriptions count? Also, we can't actually see what amount of subs they are at. I'd like to believe that GB wouldn't mislead us but after last night I know they are will to be misleading if they have to in order to survive. "
Ryan confirmed that they do yes. "
Here's proof.  
http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/23981616724
#49 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -
@Heartagram said:
" I subscribed without hesitation happy to give my 50$ "
Same
#50 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" @MartinDN said:

" @Supermarius said:

Ryan confirmed that they do yes. "
Here's proof.  
http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/23981616724 "
um, i feel dumb. How do i upgrade my account to paying?