Ryan Davis says we have about 2500 subs, halfway there.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I got an idea earlier, but paypal doesn't work, so it's not gonna happen. But I was going to suggest that perhaps instead of paying $50 for a year, people pay $5 for a month and share the rest with other users. If you think about it, instead of using $50 for 1 subscription, it could be divided and used for 10 people. That could really help the numbers climb.... However, very few would be willing to do that anyway, and even with that kind of tactic, there's just not going to be enough time.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By LiquidPrince

Well I was gonna do it anyways, so I did.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Coombs

Over half way there, 
I'm actually impressed. 

If your reading this and don't have a medal under your name, 
It's your fault if the Bombcast gets split for you at this point, So don't bitch later.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#104  Edited By lordofultima

We have until tomorrow morning guys, don't lose hope! Regardless, it's an impressive amount of subscribers in one day's time.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#105  Edited By alistercat
@Coombs:  People can bitch if they want, because they shouldn't have to subscribe. Some people feel wronged. Just let them deal with it. You aren't going to convince anyone.
Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Computerplayer1

Subbed before the live show even began without hesitation and I shelled the $10 extra as I'm a Canuck.

There was no way I could resist giving these guys cash, they provide way too much entertainment for me.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By RE_Player1
@Computerplayer1 said:
" Subbed before the live show even began without hesitation and I shelled the $10 extra as I'm a Canuck.  There was no way I could resist giving these guys cash, they provide way too much entertainment for me. "
Exactly. I had no problem paying the extra shipping for Canada :)
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Fallen189
@Coombs said:
" Over half way there, I'm actually impressed.  If your reading this and don't have a medal under your name, It's your fault if the Bombcast gets split for you at this point, So don't bitch later. "
What a  great attitude to take.
JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By JoRoNimo
@Computerplayer1 said:
" Subbed before the live show even began without hesitation and I shelled the $10 extra as I'm a Canuck.  There was no way I could resist giving these guys cash, they provide way too much entertainment for me. "
Same here. Except I'm from an altogether different country. Texas.
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#110  Edited By Hector
@Briguile said:
" I'm switching to annual next month. Also whiskey media worth supporting. "
Same here. Don't have the money for it right now.
zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By zidane_24
@Fallen189 said:
" @Coombs said:
" Over half way there, I'm actually impressed.  If your reading this and don't have a medal under your name, It's your fault if the Bombcast gets split for you at this point, So don't bitch later. "
What a  great attitude to take. "
It is a bad attitude, but I can see where he's coming from. If all the people complaining about the split dropped a measly $5 (eat a light meal, skip a morning coffee, bike to work once) for a one month deal and push the subscribers up to 5000, then this whole thing could go away. Just my view on the matter. I was going to yearly subscribe from the start, so it's not even an issue for me.
tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By tsolless
@Coombs said:
No.
I was at work until now and didn't learn about this subscription stuff until this hour. I will likely subscribe but the way my finances are set up I am unable to until tommorow evening, after their deadline.
So no, I blame a rather short deadline for that. 

Also, since I plan to get a annual subscription the Bombcast won't be split for me, but it's still a shitty move on Giantbomb's behalf. I'll bitch.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Fallen189
@Zidane_24 said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @Coombs said:
It is a bad attitude, but I can see where he's coming from. If all the people complaining about the split dropped a measly $5 (eat a light meal, skip a morning coffee, bike to work once) for a one month deal and push the subscribers up to 5000, then this whole thing could go away. Just my view on the matter. I was going to yearly subscribe from the start, so it's not even an issue for me. "
It's not necessarily that. For most people it isn't about the cost at all. Bear in mind there's no paypal support, with such a short deadline, it'd be surprising if we'd make it. There's no way I can pay from the UK at the moment, even if I was going to. People blaming "Non payed subscribers" are the problem.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By CL60
@Fallen189 said:
" @Zidane_24 said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @Coombs said:
It is a bad attitude, but I can see where he's coming from. If all the people complaining about the split dropped a measly $5 (eat a light meal, skip a morning coffee, bike to work once) for a one month deal and push the subscribers up to 5000, then this whole thing could go away. Just my view on the matter. I was going to yearly subscribe from the start, so it's not even an issue for me. "
It's not necessarily that. For most people it isn't about the cost at all. Bear in mind there's no paypal support, with such a short deadline, it'd be surprising if we'd make it. There's no way I can pay from the UK at the moment, even if I was going to. People blaming "Non payed subscribers" are the problem. "
Also basically what Coombs and Zidane are pretty much saying is "You should subscribe simply because the Giant Bomb staff are basically threatening you, and trying to make you subscribe, even if the features they offer you don't want."
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Coombs
@CL60:  
No, What I'm saying is if you want the full Bombcast on day 1 then pay the $5 
Also it's whiskey media doing this shit not the GB guys 

And if your don't want the features then by all means don't subscribe, 
You just shouldn't complain later when you only get 1/2 the Bombcast
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just did it. Two months is probably all I will be able to do though...

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#117  Edited By trophyhunter
@CL60 said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @Zidane_24 said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @Coombs said:
It's not necessarily that. For most people it isn't about the cost at all. Bear in mind there's no paypal support, with such a short deadline, it'd be surprising if we'd make it. There's no way I can pay from the UK at the moment, even if I was going to. People blaming "Non payed subscribers" are the problem. "
Also basically what Coombs and Zidane are pretty much saying is "You should subscribe simply because the Giant Bomb staff are basically threatening you, and trying to make you subscribe, even if the features they offer you don't want." "
Hey everybody, HANG TEN!!
Mechanized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Mechanized

I did my part.  :) 

Also, how many websites about video games make around $15000 in a day? lol

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#119  Edited By Bones8677

We're not gonna make it. :-(

recspec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By recspec

I was going to wait for a few days, but I decided to try and help out the people that don't want to pay.

Unfortunately, I found out my bank froze my account (depositing over $1000 at once makes them freak out apparently)
But I still made it through.

sparks50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By sparks50

I couldn't care less whether a small and loud minority of cheapos now have to wait some days to get the full bombcast. 
GB needs a revenue from somewhere, and I don't want them to chase after ads like so many else. I think certain people need sit down, look at the bigger picture and get a better proportion of this thing.
Ive seen some internet drama in my day, but this is seriously thin...

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#122  Edited By Chummy8

/followed. 

Even though I'm a free member and don't really listen to the bombcast.  

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By JoRoNimo
@sparks50 said:
" I couldn't care less whether a small and loud minority of cheapos now have to wait some days to get the full bombcast.  GB needs a revenue from somewhere, and I don't want them to chase after ads like so many else. I think certain people need sit down, look at the bigger picture and get a better proportion of this thing. Ive seen some internet drama in my day, but this is seriously thin... "
For real! These guys deserve to make some money off their site. Hell, I saw all of the Persona 4 ER, which was 100 hours! The Blu-ray for, say, the final season of Lost is way more expensive, and NOWHERE NEAR as much content!  

So boo hoo if they feel the need to charge for what they are providing us. I'm amazed they hadn't done this already.
xaveri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#124  Edited By xaveri

I chipped in and subscribed for the monthly fee. Hopefully we'll get to 5000 and help those that can't pay get their fill of the Bombcast just like before. 

I gotta say I don't like it being divided but I always said that I would support with $$ given the chance and it was time to put my money where my yaper is.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#125  Edited By KaosAngel
@RecSpec said:
" I was going to wait for a few days, but I decided to try and help out the people that don't want to pay.   Unfortunately, I found out my bank froze my account (depositing over $1000 at once makes them freak out apparently) But I still made it through. "
What happened to your account?  O_o
Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Noodles
@sparks50 said:
" I couldn't care less whether a small and loud minority of cheapos now have to wait some days to get the full bombcast.  GB needs a revenue from somewhere, and I don't want them to chase after ads like so many else. I think certain people need sit down, look at the bigger picture and get a better proportion of this thing. Ive seen some internet drama in my day, but this is seriously thin... "
Couldn't have said it better myself. Quality content requires money. And I would much rather have subscriptions than heavy advertising.
Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@Brendan said:
" If a bunch of people put in just $5, 5000 can easily be reached for little cost per person.  O GOD I SOUND LIKE A TV CHARITY WHAT HAVE I BECOME.   "

Pretty much the same.

I need my money for other things right now.

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By JoRoNimo
@KaosAngel said:
" @RecSpec said:
" I was going to wait for a few days, but I decided to try and help out the people that don't want to pay.   Unfortunately, I found out my bank froze my account (depositing over $1000 at once makes them freak out apparently) But I still made it through. "
What happened to your account?  O_o "
Was it a check? Maybe the drawer of the check has insufficient funds. :S
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ravensword

seems lofty.
Inferno100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Inferno100
@Yanngc33 said:
"I don't know i kind of subscribed to have the full bombcast experience am i the only one feeling ripped off ? "

Yes you are.     :D
theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By theveej

they should definetly split the bombcast. The second half is a very good way to entice people to become payed members. I actually think it will be very sad if they do reach 5k and not split it. 

They need to make some revenue and the bombcast is the best way, these guys are independent and should have charged for stuff a lot sooner. The subscription model is the only logical extension they could have taken to support the site and keep doing what they are doing.

You gotta make that dough somehow......

Duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Duffman
@sparks50 said:

Thanks. 

I'm not subscribing because what they're offering isn't worth $50 a year for me.  The only thing I am interested in is the ability to download videos, and yes, I know I have expressed interest in that in the past, but my current situation sort of lessens that.  I can bring my laptop on campus and have a nice 4 or so hours between my first and second class of the day, so I can watch the videos without needing a portable device.  Also, I understand that you need money to run a business (duh), but as I said, this is not a product I am interested in paying for.
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By LiquidS

I only decided to become a customer so I now have a right to complain about everything=D
recspec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By recspec
@KaosAngel said:
" @RecSpec said:
What happened to your account?  O_o "
This is what I get for buying a subscription day 1...
Yeah, hope this gets fixed soon...
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ravensword

Im curious if they can give me a feature to change my name to something thats not on the other sites. I dont know if I like being Raven_Sword anymore and I dont really like the other name I got over at comic vine and Anime vice that much either (Kaioken Kid). But, since this is a community, maybe I should keep it since I think atleast some people have gotten to know me here.
kuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By kuddles

Seriously, I can understand not wanting to or being able to spend the money for a subscription, but which of the following options would you prefer...
1) Having to wait a week for the second half of a podcast and everything else being the same or better.
2) A ton of annoying ads thrown in your face, content that caters to publishers and PR people and fewer videos being made.
3) The site going out of business.

It`s really not that bad of an option.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Lemoncookie01

I subbed for the people.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By ravensword

So they earned roughly 125,000 dollars so far? unless my math is wrong of course. Is that good for something like this so far? Im askign because I dont know how much money their going to need to make off of this.
userX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By userX
@sparks50 said:

In the real world people need to offer me something I want to make me give them money. I don't give people money because they gave me stuff in the past. They should have thought of something on day one. Now, 2+ years down the road, they say: "Wait a tick, we need money!". Terrible business practice. But I don't give a hoot about this subscription stuff, anyway. I can wait a week for a podcast but I can see why some people are upset. I just hope they can fix my account, or the legacy of Bwast will be lost in annals of time...forever.    
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#140  Edited By csl316
@Zidane_24 said:

" @Fallen189 said:

" @Coombs said:

We shouldn't have to make this issue go away.  The web site should address the community's concerns in order to keep us coming back.

Blatantly using such a popular feature to manipulate people into subscribing is, as some had already said, a shitty move.  Setting an arbitrary goal of 5000 subscribers within a day is a pressure tactic to squeeze your audience for their money.  As much as I enjoy the site, this stupid Bombcast decision grinds my gears.  Instead of me skipping a meal, maybe they could skip making pointless videos such as the paid/unpaid member one.  And another thread said something about their time being too valuable, but as the Kessle Kam taught us... maybe it's not as valuable as you may think:  

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#141  Edited By tebbit
@Jimbo said:
" $50 x 2500!?  That's like, seven hundred and seventy five million dollars! "
Damn, you could rent out the Staples Center for a whole night with that kinda money!
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#142  Edited By csl316
Duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Duffman
@Tebbit said:
" @Jimbo said:
Damn, you could rent out the Staples Center for a whole night with that kinda money! "
You might want check the math on that.
Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Glak

I hate how people are assuming that people who don't subscribe are just cheapos
Some of us are teens who don't have credit cards (me)

Duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Duffman
@Glak said:
" I hate how people are assuming that people who don't subscribe are just cheapos Some of us are teens who don't have credit cards (me) "
It's not just that.  I'm a college student with no job and only 30 dollars on my card to spend.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By NTM

No, but I wouldn't mind the HD videos. Other than that... well, including that, I can really care less.
Avatar image for onemanfreakshow
onemanfreakshow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By onemanfreakshow

I've been a huge fan of Giant Bomb since they were a Wordpress blog in early 2008. I've checked the site nearly every day possible since then, and I've only missed maybe five Bombcasts. I love the site, I love their work.

That all being said, I don't have a credit card of my own, let alone a job to acquire money from. So, for them to suddenly deprive me of the full Bombcast experience that I have been enjoying FOR FREE for two years now is upsetting. The Bombcast is always the highlight of my week, and now it'll only be half of that. I realize that I'll get the second half eventually, but a week is far too long a time to delay that content. I would be just fine if they changed the day of non-paying members to Thursday or something, but don't take away half of a podcast from me just because I don't have a job.

On top of that, I don't feel like the relatively small amount of features the subscription covers is really worth it.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Noodles
@OneManFreakShow said:

" I've been a huge fan of Giant Bomb since they were a Wordpress blog in early 2008. I've checked the site nearly every day possible since then, and I've only missed maybe five Bombcasts. I love the site, I love their work.  That all being said, I don't have a credit card of my own, let alone a job to acquire money from. So, for them to suddenly deprive me of the full Bombcast experience that I have been enjoying FOR FREE for two years now is upsetting. The Bombcast is always the highlight of my week, and now it'll only be half of that. I realize that I'll get the second half eventually, but a week is far too long a time to delay that content. I would be just fine if they changed the day of non-paying members to Thursday or something, but don't take away half of a podcast from me just because I don't have a job. "

I don't really understand why a week is so long to wait. The witty bullshit, WiiWare/DSi reads, and Michael Cera movie pitches will still be funny 7 days from when they were released for subscribers.

If anything, I just wish the forums would wait until tomorrow morning before they start bitching. There is no doubt in my mind that Whiskey will hit 5000 subscribers by then.
turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#149  Edited By turbo_toaster
@Tebbit said:
" @Jimbo said:
Damn, you could rent out the Staples Center for a whole night with that kinda money! "
I'm literally fucking crying here. A+
GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By GioVANNI
@OneManFreakShow said:
" I've been a huge fan of Giant Bomb since they were a Wordpress blog in early 2008. I've checked the site nearly every day possible since then, and I've only missed maybe five Bombcasts. I love the site, I love their work.  That all being said, I don't have a credit card of my own, let alone a job to acquire money from. So, for them to suddenly deprive me of the full Bombcast experience that I have been enjoying FOR FREE for two years now is upsetting. The Bombcast is always the highlight of my week, and now it'll only be half of that. I realize that I'll get the second half eventually, but a week is far too long a time to delay that content. I would be just fine if they changed the day of non-paying members to Thursday or something, but don't take away half of a podcast from me just because I don't have a job.  On top of that, I don't feel like the relatively small amount of features the subscription covers is really worth it. "
Go back to NSider, punk.