Ryan Davis says we have about 2500 subs, halfway there.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@FengShuiGod: 
I just don't think trusting business guys who works over the internet blindly is a very good idea, if they see a way to fuck us over they will.
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202  Edited By FengShuiGod
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
" @FengShuiGod:  I just don't think trusting business guys who works over the internet blindly is a very good idea, if they see a way to fuck us over they will. "
I'm not trusting anyone. I just think its blatantly obvious that there will be 5,000 subscribers by tomorrow, and that someone probably wouldn't lie about that.
tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By tsolless
@FengShuiGod said:
" @griefersstolemykeyboard said:
" @FengShuiGod:  I just don't think trusting business guys who works over the internet blindly is a very good idea, if they see a way to fuck us over they will. "
I'm not trusting anyone. I just think its blatantly obvious that there will be 5,000 subscribers by tomorrow, and that someone probably wouldn't lie about that. "
Really?

I find it unlikely that there will be 1000 more subscribers over night without the option of paypal. Some people, like me, can't use credit card with only a few hours notice.
HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#204  Edited By HydraHam
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
You don't trust the whiskey media crew? then why are you here? i trust them more any microsoft and sony combined.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#205  Edited By CL60
@Styl3s said:
You don't trust the whiskey media crew? then why are you here? i trust them more any microsoft and sony combined. "
I think they lost a lot of peoples trust when they lied to everybody.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#206  Edited By lordofultima
@tsolless said:
" @FengShuiGod said:
I'm not trusting anyone. I just think its blatantly obvious that there will be 5,000 subscribers by tomorrow, and that someone probably wouldn't lie about that. "
Really?  I find it unlikely that there will be 1000 more subscribers over night without the option of paypal. Some people, like me, can't use credit card with only a few hours notice. "
And as one side of the world goes to bed, another side is waking up. And that side of the world also has credit/debit cards. So while it's a tough goal, it's definitely possible. 

As for the drama, it's a website about video games. You don't need to subscribe if you don't want to.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#207  Edited By tebbit

I heard that they were nearly at 4000 subscribers, but that was a while ago. I suspect that 5000 will be reached soon.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Johnny5

I subbed more for support (and rad shirt really).  But yeah tbh I think they just took the 5k idea because they dont really WANT to do the split bombcast thing, It'll be hell of a lot easier and less complex if they just go on like normal. 

Less work for them too. 

So even if its short of 5k , I still think they might do away with it.

dawhelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By dawhelan
@tsolless: 

While I am a big fan of considering the North America the center of the world, there are whole regions that were asleep while this was going on. It is very likely you can get another thousand people when you look at ASIAPAC and parts of EMEA

Also, how would the split occur in Itunes? Do you assume the user's email address is the same across Whiskey and Itunes? How do you authenticate? I am remember when audible did this, and ultimately the paid content looked like audio books in Itunes. Makes me wonder....
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#210  Edited By mike
@lordofultima said:
 As for the drama, it's a website about video games. You don't need to subscribe if you don't want to. "
That was profound.
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Johnny5

I think post show they'll get  a slight signup surge, although if its another 1,000 I dunno.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By FengShuiGod
@tsolless said:

" @FengShuiGod said:

Really?  I find it unlikely that there will be 1000 more subscribers over night without the option of paypal. Some people, like me, can't use credit card with only a few hours notice. "
I don't see why you would think that. Unless the rate at which people are subscribing falls very, very drastically I don't see how there wouldn't be 1,000 more subscribers by 10am pacific. There were actually an increased number of people viewing the BLLSL since the 4k announcement was made because of their timezones. So I don't see why more people viewing the site this early after the launch of the subscription service would lead to a decrease in the amount of subscribers. I wouldn't be surprised if we were at 5,000 within the next hour.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By CL60

Mark my words. If Giant Bomb does not go through with the Bombcast change, I will have a medal under my avatar.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By MethodMan008
@MB said:
" @lordofultima said:
 As for the drama, it's a website about video games. You don't need to subscribe if you don't want to. "
That was profound. "
When I saw what you posted the other day about the bombcast mess... I was kind of hoping for some drama.  :P   
I'm glad everything is cool tho.
XBadNewsX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By XBadNewsX
@CL60: Technically they didn't lie. There is just a misunderstanding. You still get 2, and now maybe 3 hours, of bombcast.

Only difference is that the normal bombcast is compacted into one hour. Then any amount they go over that hour will be superfluous. Possibly just general discussion, some more in depth game chat, or random shit that isn't about that day's events specifically. So it's like you will have 1 hour of normal bombcast and then you will have 1 or 2 hours of them being purely charmingly garrulous. Just that is was recorded the previous week. You aren't losing anything and infact might just get even more bomcast than before, albiet a different format.
PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#216  Edited By PhilESkyline

Min profit 5000 x $4.95 = $24,750 
Max profit 5000 x $49.95 = $249,750

Now that's business...

sephirm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#217  Edited By sephirm87
@Chango:  I totally resemble everything you just said.
sephirm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By sephirm87
@Alphazero:  don't forget though, not everyone is paying $50.  Some are paying $5 per month.
Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#219  Edited By Brackynews

Since people seem to be fond of justifying the cost to themselves, I decided the shirt was worth $30 (intl. shipping and all) and the new features will be worth $30.  If they actually SOLD THINGS in the store I would have given up a lot more money than that in 2 years! :)  My Oscar Mike shirt barely counts as it was for charity, not cost recovery. And that bugger t-shirt supplier made off like a bandit.

I could not care less about the Bombcast split whether I subscribe or not, and I am a hardcore re-listener.  They are leveraging their assets, people seem to forget this is a business.  It sounds like they will have a feed for all possible combinations, I'm just curious about how it works in iTunes because I've never tried a protected feed before.  I'm just going to fucking wait and see, and not get my knickers in a twist.  Today has been stressful enough! XP

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Kajaah117

I really hope the people waking up on the Eastern Hemisphere got our backs, because if this goal is not met, I will be reminded every Tuesday that I'm not getting the full GiantBomb experience. That feeling of segregation will cripple my enjoyment of all of the other content available as well. 

Please, please, please sign up for at least a month. Some of us can't make a purchase like this on such short notice and we're relying on you to save our beloved Bombcast.

Artikay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Artikay

I paid $50 before I read about this whole bombcast split thing. It sounds like it sucks, I believe in a bombcast for ALL!

I hope we hit 5k. I really do.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By fenixrevolution

I was already planning to subscribe as well before I heard about the split Bombcast, but after that, I pondered the idea, then ultimately decided to free the Bombcast!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ef0a89a161
deactivated-629ef0a89a161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They would have another right now if they accepted Visa Electron, but i assume they dont as billing keeps failing. Why they dont have at least Paypal or Google checkout support from day one i dont know? :(

elephantjewls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#224  Edited By elephantjewls

I've been inhaling paint fumes for the past 30 hours and I watched the entire live stream today. I'm not really sure what's going on anymore but I ended up getting the monthly subscription at some point. Now that my room no longer smells like paint and I'm feeling a little less like death, I've realized that I really only care about making the bombcast "free." I've also realized that they probably won't get to 5000 subscriptions. At first this really bothered me, now I don't really care. Maybe that's just because I've been drinking and it's 4 am here. Whatev... Maybe it'll be at 5000 when I wake up tomorrow. Considering everyone would still get the full bombcast a week late, I probably shouldn't worry about it. And neither should any of you. I'm not going to take the time to explain why since I'm not articulate enough to explain anything even when I'm sober and healthy. Just think about it. It really isn't a big deal.

T_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#225  Edited By T_Prime

I relented and paid $5 for a month, despite how I felt about this 24 hours ago. I want these sites to succeed, but godammit did they handle it badly. 

And how will iTunes work? Do I have to download the second half of the Bombcast from the site and manually add it to my library? If I do that, it doesn't get recognized as a podcast. I hope they know what they're doing.
roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#226  Edited By roborobb

I'm supporting Giantbomb because I love these guys, even if I think the whole bombcast situation is super dumb.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Branthog
@Yanngc33 said:
" I don't know i kind of subscribed to have the full bombcast experience am i the only one feeling ripped off ? "
You're going to get the full Bombcast experience. The question is whether or not they're going to screw up the Bombcast for the rest of the community (the other 95,000 members).
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Branthog
@AlisterCat said:
" @Gorikka said:
" So they go against their own beliefs by withholding existing content from non-subscribers...then they say they won't, as long as we pay for it? I'm glad they've sort of listened to the outcry, but I really hope Giant Bomb doesn't go any further down this road. I want them to look back and laugh at this misguided attempt at monetization in two years, rather than having it mark the gradual homogenization and downfall of the site. "
If you listened to the podcast you'd know that Giant Bomb runs twice as long as the others and they wanted it to be reduced to 1 hour (not the bombcast guys). Having the second extra hour that they normally do as a paid thing allows them to justify the extra cost of man hours used, extra hard drive space, editing times and bandwidth. I am not trying to defend them. This is just what they said and you know what? I believe them. "
They have enough other offers for subscribers existing and that they'll give down the road. They don't need to hold the Bombcast hostage. And if they're going to do the Bombcast as a full two hours either way -- then what reason is there to withhold it for a week from the rest of the community? It uses the same amount of resources, no matter what. So it then because a matter of weighing the value of new subscriptions they'll get ONLY because they're ransoming the podcast against the bad will it generates. It was a poor decision.
Baconator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Baconator
@Kajaah117 said:
" I really hope the people waking up on the Eastern Hemisphere got our backs, because if this goal is not met, I will be reminded every Tuesday that I'm not getting the full GiantBomb experience. ... "
Yep, I got your back. Signing up on my lunch break in a couple of hours. I'm primarily signing up because the community shouldn't have to put up with a split podcast. It's one of the best features of this site and messing with it sounds like a horrible idea.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Branthog
@Azteck said:
"  I can't believe the people who say that they are angry because the people who didn't pay may get the full podcast as well. This rift between members will not get better with time. "
Exactly. People are assholes. The whole point of this is that you subscribe TO SUPPORT THE SITE and to help ensure the sight is dedicated to making the AUDIENCE happy. That's not the way the rest of media is. Radio, television... almost everything everywhere. Their goal is to make the advertiser happy; not the audience. The only way to overcome that is to put the control in the hands of the audience. Which mens the financial support has to come from the audience.

And in return for support, you get a few nice bonus features.

Chopping the podcast in half is not a BONUS feature. It's taking something existing and throwing it behind a paywall.

I subscribed, because I can. And because I know many or most others can not or won't. I don't really care much about the new features and probably wont' use most of them at all. I subscribed, because I want to support the site for myself, other subscribers, and everyone else who contributes to this community with their eyeballs or their posts and discussions and wiki editing and everything else.  Just because someone subscribes doesn't make them better than someone who doesn't. It's just an option that you can do and that's it. When you're subscribing, it should be for the benefit of the site as a whole. Not just for yourself.
Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#231  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
@T_Prime said:
"   And how will iTunes work? Do I have to download the second half of the Bombcast from the site and manually add it to my library? If I do that, it doesn't get recognized as a podcast. I hope they know what they're doing. "
Ugh I hadn't thought about that, it's bad enough that no one cares about the Zune Marketplace, but this is probably going to be an even more terribly annoying problem.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Branthog

I think there's a good chance that the goal will be reached in time. And if it doesn't, I'm sure they'll say "it was so close that we decided to just go ahead and do it, after all!".

The problem is, this shouldn't have been the situation in the first place. So if the goal is made, I still will not feel comfortable with it, because it was only saved through a ransom tactic. And if it isn't made, but they say it's close enough that they'll continue it anyway, I still feel comfortable . . . because they attempted this tactic.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Aeterna

I just wanted to support the guys, they've given me hundreds of hours of entertainment. That's what I care for most. I'll be enjoying my better quality videos and.. i don't care for all the other stuff honestly.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Branthog
@Duffman said:
" @Glak said:
" I hate how people are assuming that people who don't subscribe are just cheapos Some of us are teens who don't have credit cards (me) "
It's not just that.  I'm a college student with no job and only 30 dollars on my card to spend. "
I'm in my thirties, make six figures, and have few responsibilities other than my mortgage and car insurance and I still consider $50 to be steep and definitely not trivial. I can't imagine how I could justify it if I were under different circumstances. I feel the subscriptions should have been half that amount and the shirt should have been left out of it. That would have gotten more community buy-in (not just financially, but emotionally).

If there are maybe 100,000 members of this place now, I'm actually surprised that as much as 5% would contribute so much money. That's astonishing. I certainly don't think anything of people who can't afford it or can't justify it. Not everything is worth the same amount to everyone and that's fine.
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@T_Prime said:
" And how will iTunes work? Do I have to download the second half of the Bombcast from the site and manually add it to my library? If I do that, it doesn't get recognized as a podcast. I hope they know what they're doing. "
they'll probably PM us with a special RSS thing to click and we get the full podcast and the normal RSS iTunes feed will remain the same but the podcasts will be in the new non-subscriber format.
JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By JauntyHat

Just paid the 5 bucks to help out the cause. Hope this gets through...

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#237  Edited By fattony12000

Bombin' like Bomberman. 

WHATS MY NAME!? 

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Leptok

I've seen alot of medals popping up. I think we might make it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Pinworm45

Whiskey Media is going to get what they deserve when new members come to this site, want to investigate, see they only get HALF a podcast unless they pay, and leave never coming back. It's going to cost you, WM, and you deserve it for this retarded idea which you followed up by holding your own community hostage. You deserve it for going back on your word. Enjoy.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Branthog

Oh you tried to take my podcast
cuz the subscriptions ain't enough
and I said
fuck you!
(ooo oooo oooo oooh!)

Seriously though, the community support stuns me. I subscribed, because I wanted to support them. They could have rolled out ZERO features for subscribing and I'd have still subscribed. I just don't like the concept of screwing with the regular bombcast. Especially if they're then going to give a different experience to non-subscribers where that is involved. Because it alters something that is an old feature; not a new one. And because the bombcast is (as I've said so many times) the center and heart of the Giant Bomb world.

Other than that, I'm extremely happy with Giant Bomb. I wouldn't pay $50 if that wasn't the case.

I'm just so shocked that so many other people seem to share the same view. Love the site. Love to support it. Just kinda hate this one little change. Even if it doesn't affect us as subscribers. We want non-subscribers to be chill with it, too. Because it's a community, whether you fork over cash or not.

Trnck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Trnck

I want the T-shirt, but I totally oppose the split of the bombcast.
It's really like the old days where sites are excluding people rather then trying to make a few bucks out of people who love them.
I'll subscribe only if they don't do these annoying things.

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Kajaah117
@Baconator said:

" @Kajaah117 said:

" I really hope the people waking up on the Eastern Hemisphere got our backs, because if this goal is not met, I will be reminded every Tuesday that I'm not getting the full GiantBomb experience. ... "

Yep, I got your back. Signing up on my lunch break in a couple of hours. I'm primarily signing up because the community shouldn't have to put up with a split podcast. It's one of the best features of this site and messing with it sounds like a horrible idea. "
I thank you, good sir.  

This time-sensitive quota is lame anyway. It should be an overall goal. What does it matter if they get 5,000 subscribers by 10 a.m. tomorrow or even months from now? They're still getting the money to support the bandwidth. Nobody's going to put a bloody Luchadeer head in their bed if they don't have the money by tomorrow... it's actually us in that situation if you  think about it..
ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By ShadowKing7

Was this whole mess with the split of the Bombcast even necessary on Whiskey Media's part?  There were a bunch of people on the site ready to throw down their dollars once the sub plan was announced, but this whole debacle seems like the staff was thinking, "Well, our sub plan doesn't offer much new for people, so we'll do this to make sure we can get money for subscriptions!" 

Of course, I could just be a cynical asshole with that thought, and sure Whiskey Media is a business and needs to make money, but this whole situation just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#244  Edited By jacdg

I'll just do the monthly subscription when I get home, I don't want a T-shirt so I'll skip the yearly thing, I just want a non-split podcast + 720 video, that is worth 5 dollars to me. Come on 5 dollars is not that much, I pay 100 dollars for xbxolive every year, and that is just to play online, I don't really need those 5 dollars for anything else.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Lunar_Aura

The biggest thing this is similar to is Xbox LIVE Silver members getting demos a week late when BEFORE they were getting them at the same time as Gold members. 

When Microsoft pulled that nonsense, I was a Gold member and decided not to renew. Don't "add" value by screwing over other people who were used to the status quo. 

Please, GiantBomb. By 10am PST, have an apology at the ready if you want to keep your subscribers. We'll forget about it if you do. Good deal?
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Johnny5

I think you guys are taking this 5000 by 10am thing way too seriously. I'm pretty sure they already know whether or not they are going to split the bombcast or not. It seems like theres a good chance that they'll just ditch it as it feels like plenty of the staff dont like the idea either.

BenX02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By BenX02
@Johnny5 said:
" I think you guys are taking this 5000 by 10am thing way too seriously. I'm pretty sure they already know whether or not they are going to split the bombcast or not. It seems like theres a good chance that they'll just ditch it as it feels like plenty of the staff dont like the idea either. "
I hope you are right about this. I really do.
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#248  Edited By alistercat
@Johnny5:  Actually it seemed like Jeff and Ryan were pretty OK with it.
DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By DeadPan
@AlisterCat said:
" @Johnny5:  Actually it seemed like Jeff and Ryan were pretty OK with it. "
I think it may have been there idea. After all it is man hours that are being "wasted" doing it

I am aware im running this joke into the ground :)
BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#250  Edited By BertieWooster

Just signed up. Boggles the mind how people can balk at the price of one game to support some of the best, independent games media in the world. Clearly people don't understand the concept of investment capital and it, y'know, running out eventually, and then people who continue to need to eat and pay for things.