SAG-AFTRA members authorize a strike.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Variety article.

Almost 98% of the members of the SAG-AFTRA union, the union that represents video game voice actors, gave their permission to strike if the union leadership decides there is no other option.

The union is trying to secure better compensation that is in line with other forms of media entertainment;specifically bonuses for titles that sell well into the millions.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

With the length of development time I wonder if this means we end up with developer voice acting or non-union voice acting in some of next years big releases if they do decide to strike.

I'm also kinda interested to see what that's like.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There's a thread already.http://www.giantbomb.com/voice-acting/3015-1413/forums/sag-aftra-members-authorize-union-to-declare-strik-1783918/#74

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If that means that we'll get more than just the 3 actors and actresses who voice every single fucking game then good.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

You know what the game industry's response to this should be.....ORGANIZE A UNION. You don't complain about a Union asking for what they think is fair for their members by explaining what you don't get. The people who work in the game industry should respond by creating a Union or even several united unions. And movie special effects house SHOULD join one of these unions too.

This question was important even before SAG-AFTRA vote to strike. Creating a union was important when Atrai would not put creators names on boxes and Activision was born. It was important three decades later when EA spouses wrote a letter in 2004. It was important every time we see a blog or her a story about unpaid bonuses and companies tying sales/rating to pay. The time for a union was long ago, but they only way it will start is if SOMEONE in the industry stands up. And maybe the person who stands up should be someone who OWNS a development studio and has some money in way of a safety net... and sadly yes is someone who has enough clout, and standing to FIGHT the smear campaigns that will crop up to make this more work and more mess than it needs to be.

So, maybe we need Will Wright, Brenda 'Brathwaite' Romero, or Tim Schafe or any other respected person who has been in this industry and is now ready for the biggest challenge of their career. Also, I think that Sony who already deal with unions in its music, motion picture, and other divisions should say outright "we support this move & will NOT stand in the way" as a signal to all other publishers and industry heavy weight that this is GOING TO HAPPEN.

pontoon_yacht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@monkeyking1969: It's always been a fascinating political/psychological overlap to examine, that when a large-scale strike is called, so many people have the reaction of "Look, I'm miserable and you should be to" instead of "Hey I should be doing something like they are so I'm not so miserable."