Sakaguchi, Mistwalker, and a lack of games

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By kamolahy

I have to wonder why the production coming out of Mistwalker is so bare. Sakaguchi would have little to no problem staffing a studio and getting funding for gaming projects. He's a heavyweight and demands a lot of press when he says what he says. He has Uematsu in his corner for his projects. These are gaming legends. Artists who are masters of the craft and founders of a many modern gaming ideals.  

Why isn't there more coming out of Mistwalker? Is he just taking it easy? I can respect that. I'm curious if anyone has read anything or heard anything. I know they're working on something right now, but it just seems that Mistwalker's reach would be a bit more broad considering the talent behind the studio. 

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Kiemoe

Maybe no one has beaten Lost Odyssey yet? I would have to guess they're working on something but not ready to reveal anything yet.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Cerza

They just released a new game in Japan (Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow) in October. It's supposed to be coming out in Europe and North America next year sometime.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

I want them to make another great JRPG for the X360, I loved Lost Odyssey

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Venatio said:
" I want them to make another great JRPG for the X360, I loved Lost Odyssey "
Have to agree, though I really don't want any more Blue Dragon stuff. I can not get into the original at all. LO on the other hand was exactly what I wanted from a next-gen RPG at the time. 

Anyway, didn't they have a game announced but it got canned? I can't remember the name of it only that it was either put on hold or killed off earlier this year.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Axersia

How many games do you expect them to make, exactly? They're not some mega-publisher like Square Enix, y'know? They're just a handful of guys who handle the creative side of game development while the actual coding and such is outsourced.

For the most part they've been releasing 2 games a year, and the latest Blue Dragon game will be coming to the West next year -- isn't that enough? If you don't like the fact that two thirds of their games have been for DS you should buy more current-gen home console JRPGs, and then maybe Japanese studios will start making them again.

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By kamolahy

I think I just got chastised.  

I'm just wondering. I'm wondering if the reason they are small is because they want to be or not. I mean, if they wanted they could have a couple of large projects going on at a time and Sakaguchi could oversee them.  I'm not saying it's a better way. I'm just curious as to why such powerhouses are producing as little as they are.  

For what it's worth, I'm not a Blue Dragon fan. It's too cartoon for me. But I don't discredit that it could be a fantastic RPG. 

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Steve_C

They cancelled Cry On, and then they started work on a different game, so that must've eaten up some time.