#1  Edited By MysteriousBob
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob
Something just sparked my curiosity on the matter.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By buzz_clik

Sure it does.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By luce

what.............s upper!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97
@MysteriousBob: Was I the only one who saw that post you made in the "Xbox is old thread" as clever satire?
kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingclaw

Hey your poll is awesome (example)

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By hatking

No.

Tehe...

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By sjschmidt93

Dude. Go fuck yourself. Get out of here. Who gives a fuck.

Did the sound sarcastic? Probably not.

^_^

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By thatfrood

No Caption Provided
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

I remember whenever I had subtitles enabled on my TV it would indicate a sarcastic tone with "(!)". 

Yeah, I bet you all found that really interesting(!)

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

This is the best thread ever, I can't even imagine why you wouldn't want to make this thread. Now everybody on the internet will know how to deal with sarcasm because everybody is going to read your post.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Barrock

In certain instances, yes. In certain instances, no.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By AlexB
@Barrock said:
" In certain instances, yes. In certain instances, no. "
Agreed. Some people just do NOT understand sarcasm. As an American, our comedic structure is largely founded on sarcasm, so sometimes it is lost in translation on Teh internetz.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Barrock
@AlexB said:
" @Barrock said:
Agreed. Some people just do NOT understand sarcasm. As an American, our comedic structure is largely founded on sarcasm, so sometimes it is lost in translation on Teh internetz. "
The British say "Bloody fuck you, ya tosser." ;)
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

i find it only if it is obvious that it is sarcastic. it can be hard sometimes to read sarcastic on teh interwebz.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thecleric
@ThatFrood said:
"
No Caption Provided
"

it's ironic because it's pretty 'fail' that you have to post something sarcastic and then say 'you fail' because it's not witty enough without spelling it out, like demotivators. 

not saying you specifically, more the case of the person who made this.
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fbomb
@AlexB said:
" @Barrock said:
Agreed. Some people just do NOT understand sarcasm. As an American, our comedic structure is largely founded on sarcasm, so sometimes it is lost in translation on Teh internetz. "
Not only that, it's only text. It's missing context of facial and tonal cues, so you really have to hope the person reading doesn't take everything super literally. Personally, I probably over-assume people are being sarcastic in forums, especially with absolutes, so I end up thinking someone who's a total bigot is being satirical and will play along with the "joke", only to find out along the way that, no, they're being completely serious. I then feel shame. And dirty. But mostly shame...
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pirate_republic

There usually has to be an indication of sarcasm, such as the use of italics or an emoticon for people to consistently pick up on it.

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aelric

Usually you need to know the person, and even then you sometimes get the feeling like you pissed someone off, so it's best to add a "haha" or lol or whatever you use.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee

Sarcasim is the life-stream of the internet.
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Phished0ne

I try to only to be sarcastic textually using visual indicators such as: 

<sarcasm> Way to go, champ! </sarcasm> 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By thatfrood
@thecleric: It's funny you say that! I've always had an issue with that "just kidding, you fail" at the bottom.
You know what? I'm gonna edit it out! Because you are totally right.

No Caption Provided

What do you think, better?
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think sarcasm can work on the internet, it just has to be delivered in the right context. For example if I'm in an online discussion and say "Yeah and we all know the 360 has a great history of not breaking down" you can tell I'm being sarcastic.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Willy105

It doesn't really work, because you can't really tell outside the context, If someone is being sarcastic, it won't be sarcastic to someone that disagrees, since there are no cues to tell him that he isn't serious.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By skrutop

I guess we now know the answer to your question.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ignor

You'd have to use underline, bold and italic, preferably acombination of all three.
Or, a sarcasm mark.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By lordofultima

The intonation of your words has a lot to do with sarcasm, so while I won't say it's lost on the internet, it definitely takes a keen eye from someone who is used to/enjoys sarcasm to spot it.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I never thought if that really...but i think, Only if its incredibly obvious from the tone/content.Otherwise people just don't get it.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By delta_ass

Golly no. How could it possibly work on the interwebs? That's just crazy talk.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Afroman269

No Caption Provided
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Azteck

Yes.

That was sarcasm.

/thread

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead

People seem to get it with me a lot of the time and I don't stoop to using dickhead phrases like 'You, sir...' so it can't be that difficult.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By penguindust
@ADTR_ZERO said:

" This is the best thread ever, I can't even imagine why you wouldn't want to make this thread. Now everybody on the internet will know how to deal with sarcasm because everybody is going to read your post. "

I don't think that is a valid statement.  The thread creator was trying to address a difficult situation surrounding largely anonymous text based communication, and you criticize his endeavor.  In truth, what has been revealed by this post is a discordant amalgam of belief sets and interpretations therein.   Furthermore, I am, to use a nice Scottish word, scunnered that you would scupper his initiative to invigorate the effort to reach new solutions by increasing the scope of our inquiry rather than by narrowing or abandoning it.  Conversely, your animadversion only serves to obfuscate these few key aspects.  It's quite easy for you to bombastically declaim his intentions.  But when are you going to provide an alternative perspective of your own?  If you think that five-crystal orgone generators can eliminate mind-control energies that are being radiated from secret, underground, government facilities then you won't understand the complexities of foreign and innominate verbalization no matter what resolutions are managed by this exchange.  You won't understand my answer if you cower in fear over the criminally violent trends in our society today and the past ten to fifteen years.   Well, I suppose you are good at convincing people that the worst classes of neo-patronizing, stinking cadgers toiling the digital cosmos are easily housebroken, but in order to solve the big problems within our comprehensive environments, we must first understand these problems, and to understand them, we must carve solutions that are neither oligophrenic nor ophidian.  As I conclude this response, let me remind you that our goal in writing is not only to change the minds of those who make a big deal out of nothing, rather as a means to reverse the devolutionary course that consternation has set for us.  In the end, we should not waver; we will not tire, falter, or fail.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By dethfish

Not really, which sucks since I'm using it constantly. 

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
@PenguinDust said:
" @ADTR_ZERO said:

" This is the best thread ever, I can't even imagine why you wouldn't want to make this thread. Now everybody on the internet will know how to deal with sarcasm because everybody is going to read your post. "

I don't think that is a valid statement.  The thread creator was trying to address a difficult situation surrounding largely anonymous text based communication, and you criticize his endeavor.  In truth, what has been revealed by this post is a discordant amalgam of belief sets and interpretations therein.   Furthermore, I am, to use a nice Scottish word, scunnered that you would scupper his initiative to invigorate the effort to reach new solutions by increasing the scope of our inquiry rather than by narrowing or abandoning it.  Conversely, your animadversion only serves to obfuscate these few key aspects.  It's quite easy for you to bombastically declaim his intentions.  But when are you going to provide an alternative perspective of your own?  If you think that five-crystal orgone generators can eliminate mind-control energies that are being radiated from secret, underground, government facilities then you won't understand the complexities of foreign and innominate verbalization no matter what resolutions are managed by this exchange.  You won't understand my answer if you cower in fear over the criminally violent trends in our society today and the past ten to fifteen years.   Well, I suppose you are good at convincing people that the worst classes of neo-patronizing, stinking cadgers toiling the digital cosmos are easily housebroken, but in order to solve the big problems within our comprehensive environments, we must first understand these problems, and to understand them, we must carve solutions that are neither oligophrenic nor ophidian.  As I conclude this response, let me remind you that our goal in writing is not only to change the minds of those who make a big deal out of nothing, rather as a means to reverse the devolutionary course that consternation has set for us.  In the end, we should not waver; we will not tire, falter, or fail. "

Wow. I don't even want to read this wall o' text. I was being sarcastic...or was I? You will never know.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Snail

C.

AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AvD
@ADTR_ZERO said:
"
This is the best thread ever, I can't even imagine why you wouldn't want to make this thread. Now everybody on the internet will know how to deal with sarcasm because everybody is going to read your post. "
I think you nailed the most obvious way to type sarcasm.

That was not sarcasm.
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
@AvD said:
" @ADTR_ZERO said:
"
This is the best thread ever, I can't even imagine why you wouldn't want to make this thread. Now everybody on the internet will know how to deal with sarcasm because everybody is going to read your post. "
I think you nailed the most obvious way to type sarcasm.  That was not sarcasm. "

Wow...thanks alot. I really appreaciate all the time you took to read an reply.
AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AvD
@ADTR_ZERO said:
" @AvD said:
" @ADTR_ZERO said:
"
I think you nailed the most obvious way to type sarcasm.  That was not sarcasm. "
Wow...thanks alot. I really appreaciate all the time you took to read an reply. "
 Wait, was that sarcasm?  I was being sincere.  I can't even tell anymore.  THIS THREAD IS OUT OF CONTROL!
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dbz1995
@L1D3N said:
" Does a Bear Shit in the Woods?! "
...Does it? :D
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PureRok

Sarcasm!
casm!
asm!
Orgasm!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King

I hope I'm not the only person who refuses to post ironically on how sarcasm on the Internet doesn't work.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By bonbolapti

ah gee, this thread seems to be full of bad examples.
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
@AvD said:
" @ADTR_ZERO said:
" @AvD said:
" @ADTR_ZERO said:
"
Wow...thanks alot. I really appreaciate all the time you took to read an reply. "
 Wait, was that sarcasm?  I was being sincere.  I can't even tell anymore.  THIS THREAD IS OUT OF CONTROL! "

Why of course it is, I'm always sarcastic. 

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By toast_burner
@Barrock said:
" @AlexB said:
" @Barrock said:
The British say "Bloody fuck you, ya tosser." ;) "

agreed. the americans are trying to steal are humor and claiming it as thier own.
AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

no it dont work. children dont understand sarcasm. on the internet you dont get to see people face but only their username.... you may argue with them, agree with them, love them, fight them, punch them without knowing how if they old man or young girl but using sarcasm at them dont work if they are children.

age 5-13 dont know sarsasm

age 14-16 few dont know sarcsm and few do

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I usually make it obvious with word choice, but I still use italics for the simple folk. I've seen many, many cases of sarcasm being communicated poorly or it's just not understood. I've seen the notion of sarcasm being hard to convey in text used as a scapegoat as well. For example, someone makes a post that unleashes the collective fury of other forum goers, so they just claim that they were being sarcastic and it didn't come across well. They're damn liers and I know it!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#48  Edited By Claude

We are the internet. Watch me grow.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By RHCPfan24

You kidding? Sarcasm works the best on the Internet. 

Seriously, sarcasm works on the Internet though it contains a fraction of what makes it so distinct in, you know, speech. Italics and the context at hand are the ways to find sarcasm and sometimes it doesn't work. It works with some though, so option B is accurate if you know someone to be sarcastic on a regular basis, like myself or jakob187. Claude too! Still, sarcasm is a thing that fuels the Internet whether it works or not.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

A sarcastic font is just what most people on the internet need.

But I really feel that most people don't have too much trouble understanding sarcasm on the internet since it's so blatant.