This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ZGoon (261 posts) -

Hey all, looking to get the shit scared out of me, also just wondering what games have scared the pants off you in the past. Zombies, Psychos, Demons... anything.

#2 Posted by TheZodiac (33 posts) -

The first Fatal Frame was the scariest game I've ever played. I could only play it 1/2 an hour at a time because it would stress me out and make me feel exhausted. And playing it at night; Fuck. That. Shit. It was a great game though.

#3 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

Silent Hill 3 was pretty scary.

#4 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

@ZGoon: Throw in Amnesia the Dark Decent. Haven't played it myself but a lot of talk of how scary it is

#5 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Haunting ground. *shivers*

#6 Posted by Fearbeard (823 posts) -

Slender

Such a simple game but I've never felt more anxiety then when I had to search through a building in this game

#7 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1230 posts) -

I don't remember which game but when I was much younger, like 5 or 6, I would get an irrational fear of playing a game really late at night because the power might go out and I would be left in the basement or something...I grew out of that fear hahaha

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

Amnesia obv.

It's the only piece of media to ever scare me.

#9 Edited by Shivoa (606 posts) -

Agreed with the above, Project Zero was all about night time, lights off, sound up, empty house, only a camera to defend you from the unseen.

Condemned can get under your skin in places with a few jump scares to keep you on the edge of your seat (and possibly make it hard to walk though a department store for a few weeks after playing if it really gets to you) but is a very different experience.

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines has Ocean House Hotel and Thief: Deadly Shadows has The Crucible. For some reason both of those are seared into the same part of my mind, I think I may have been replaying Thief just as I started VtMB and did one over on myself playing those two levels back to back. The original FEAR had a bit of that scare in it but didn't really bring it all together so you have to go into it wanting the scares for it to work (if at all) and Eternal Darkness was good for the few jumps and general unease but half of that was going in without knowing exactly what to expect and the cult following has made that hard for new players today.

And then we obviously have to mention Amnesia, because that game can definitely get you into a very bad head space where you repeatedly check the doors and windows are locked if you have a long session in the dark, alone, before bed.

Hell, SCP-087 did bad things to me when I dialled in the room to horror mode (no lights, no people, plenty of speakers, the dead of night) and may do the same to you for the princely sum of free. There is something to be said about stuff like that where the lack of a price makes it very easy to go in and experience it completely blind without knowing what to expect and that ramps up the exploration of the unknown factor.

Or maybe I'm just an easy scare. But those are definitely some of the highlights that come to mind when you say 'scare me'.

Edit: a link got messed up by the WYSIWYG Gods.

#10 Posted by Moth_Pope (450 posts) -

I think for me it's Siren: Blood Curse. I've been freaked out by lots of horror games and had games that made me jump, but all in very "well, it's still a video game..." kind of way. With Blood Curse I was constantly wanting every level to end immediately, and the relief that hit you when it did end was amazing.

Will give a shoutout to Silent Hill 4: The Room (my favourite of the series), for it's "fucking hell, that's messed up"-ness.

#11 Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

MissionForce: Cyberstorm

Those death animations... ;_;

There was a reason the game had a check box in its settings to turn them off. :(

#12 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -

@Moth_Pope: I knew there had to be other people that thought Silent Hill 4 was the best one.

I don't play many horror games but it's a toss up between SH 4 and Amnesia witch I can't play for more than 15 min at a time.

#13 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

@TheZodiac said:

The first Fatal Frame was the scariest game I've ever played. I could only play it 1/2 an hour at a time because it would stress me out and make me feel exhausted. And playing it at night; Fuck. That. Shit. It was a great game though.

I really, really want to play this.

I'm glad you made this thread. I love being scared and so I'm always looking for new things. Uhm, scariest game I've played? Majora's Mask. That god damn moon! But out of horror games (I haven't played many) I think for me it was actually Fear 2 lol. I'm playing Silent Hill 3 at the moment, which is good so far. Oh, and Slender scared me quite a bit in the whole of the five minutes I played it for!

#14 Edited by Jeust (10454 posts) -

For me the scariest game was Dead Space.

Other honorable mentions are:

• Clive Barker's Undying
  • Silent Hill 4
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Resident Evil 0
  • Resident Evil Remake
  • Bioshock
  • Dead Space 2
  • Dead Space Extraction
  • Cold Fear
  • FEAR
  • Silent Hill Shattered Memories
  • Lone Survivor
#15 Posted by Maajin (1052 posts) -

Dark Souls, by far. I've never been so utterly terrified playing a game as I was at the Depths.

#16 Posted by ESREVER (2658 posts) -

Fatal Frame II

#17 Posted by NegativeCero (2974 posts) -

I generally haven't really played anything that could classify as scary or horror. I have a copy of Amnesia hanging out in my Steam library and I just bought Silent Hill 2 after the news of Konami not patching the 360 HD collection. I have a feeling the controls will annoy me, but I'll try to stick to it.

#18 Posted by wewantsthering (1547 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

Amnesia obv.

It's the only piece of media to ever scare me.

Also the text adventure Lurking Horror.

#19 Posted by Sauson (560 posts) -

Silent Hill 2. The closest thing to a perfect horror game.

#20 Posted by themangalist (1716 posts) -

I don't like playing scary games if they don't actually scare me. It just stresses me a lot and i always come to the realization that i'm not really having fun nor am i getting the experience of being super terrified after a couple of hours. Amnesia is one such example that I thought was tedious and boring and did not deliver me any real scares.

Slender on the other hand....... first game that made me feel any emotion in a long long time. Holy shit i was playing it lights off not realizing i hung up my suit up by the window.

#21 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1379 posts) -

Silent Hill 2, 3, and Amnesia.

#22 Edited by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I've played plenty of scary games. For a time, I was of the opinion that Silent Hill 2 was the scariest game of all time.

Amnesia came, and I trembled, watching as it kicked Silent Hill off its throne.

One can only hope that it is never usurped, because if something can beat Amnesia...

#23 Posted by TinAutomaton (50 posts) -

Not necessarily super scary, but more unnerving -- Shadow of Destiny/Memories

#24 Posted by MB (11905 posts) -

There are a ton of these topics...usually one or two pop up every week. Please search before creating new threads.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/what-are-the-most-scariest-horror-games-youve-played/551564/