• 89 results
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Seriously now.  There are some things debatable and some not.  One thing that is not, is the fact that Milo is amazing.  Yes, it's a prototype, but imagine them making an adventure thriller out of this, it could be amazing.  Anyway, if natal can truly work as they say it does, it will be amazing.  Listen to what sessler says he experienced. 

Can you imagine a mystery thriller like this? Or how about Mass Effect where you can talk yourself out of most situations or just go in guns blazing (with a controller).
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

It still has a long ways to go. By the time Milo is ready to be used in a game the Mass Effect trilogy will be over. But the idea is certainly very impressive. IGNs experience with it showed there is a lot of work to be done. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think what impresses you the most is the supposed AI of milo rather than the interface which in this case is pretty much eyetoy really. AI can be used on any system regardless of accessories, with a few slight tweaks here and there for the input. Heck, if it was to have meangful gameplay you'd probably need a controller on the 360 as well, to more accurate look and move around the places you want and do certain actions. And if it didn't have meaningful gameplay then it wouldn't really be all that great after the novelty wore off. Also, Molyneux's ppl developed this and it was shown in video footage that was TOTALLY NOT ACTED so yeah, I wouldn't get too excited if I were you...

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@AgentJ said:
"It still has a long ways to go. By the time Milo is ready to be used in a game the Mass Effect trilogy will be over. But the idea is certainly very impressive. IGNs experience with it showed there is a lot of work to be done.  "

How do you know?  Judging from what they say the demo is, it is almost ready.  Considering they've been working on the game itself already...hmm....weird.   Whatever milo is related to has been in development for a while, since before Fable 1 came out (project dimitri).  I read an interview where lionhead said they've been working on ai for a while and 2 months or so they got natal and got the tech to pull their project together.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By TheKidNixon

The really groundbreaking aspects of the Natal and Milo technology is the voice and face recognition. Those both could do amazing things both for game play applications and just general interface. Just telling my machine to "Play Netflix...Play Terminator..." and then sit back and enjoy? Fantastic. And say I have to get up to go to the bathroom? Natal notices and it pauses the movie for me. Same if it hears the phone ring.

The application of those features of Natal really get me going; I think that Microsoft's over-focus on motion-based tech demos and games really will leave a bad taste in people's mouths who feel like they've been burned once. And the whole "YOU are the controller" thing was goddamn ridiculous.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

No, I wouldn't find talking to a game very fun.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fr0br0

"Work like they say it does."

Dude, it's Peter Molyneux. That's all I'm going to say...

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Al3xand3r said:
"I think what impresses you the most is the supposed AI of milo rather than the interface which in this case is pretty much eyetoy really. AI can be used on any system regardless of accessories, with a few slight tweaks here and there for the input. Heck, if it was to have meangful gameplay you'd probably need a controller on the 360 as well, to more accurate look and move around the places you want and do certain actions. And if it didn't have meaningful gameplay then it wouldn't really be all that great after the novelty wore off. Also, Molyneux's ppl developed this and it was shown in video footage that was TOTALLY NOT ACTED so yeah, I wouldn't get too excited if I were you..."

I don't think you quite realize the fact that facial recognition itself is huge....
Natal is best used if in application with other stuff. If the wii has taught me anything, its that waggle doesn't mean much.  It's compliments I prefer.  Hell.... my favorite use oif motion tech is moving the tornado in ratchet
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Oh yeah, forgot the talking bit... Well, PS3/PC and now the Wii have mics also... Lol. So, yeah, it's just the AI that's impressive if it ever works as intended (guess why it's isolated environment and characters, NO WAY THEY CAN MAKE IT WORK WELL IN AN ADVENTURE) not the interface. I could talk to pikachu on my N64... Just Pikachu wasn't as smart as Milo may be.

Face recognition? I thought people got over local-coop and preffered online co-op nowadays, hence why they hated the Wii's lack of online, now it's awesome that Milo can tell if I'm alone or if my gf is next to me? And again, guess why it's such an isolated area and not really a game... Meh.

Voice recognition is all software based dude, it can be done on anything with sound input if programmed. So, as I say, it's not Natal that impresses you, it's basically the Milo "program" and that could run on pretty much anything in some form. Face recognition I imagine is also software based to an extent as long as the camera has enough resolution to track the differences.

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Guardian

I don't think anyone is saying its bad tech. Its really really good tech. The only thing I see when looking at Milo is its still a tech demo. I don't really see a game in it yet. And thats what I want to do is play a game. 

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By keyhunter
@Red: You didn't enjoy Odama?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"It still has a long ways to go. By the time Milo is ready to be used in a game the Mass Effect trilogy will be over. But the idea is certainly very impressive. IGNs experience with it showed there is a lot of work to be done.  "
How do you know?  Judging from what they say the demo is, it is almost ready.  Considering they've been working on the game itself already...hmm....weird.   Whatever milo is related to has been in development for a while, since before Fable 1 came out (project dimitri).  I read an interview where lionhead said they've been working on ai for a while and 2 months or so they got natal and got the tech to pull their project together. "
maybe you should take a poke over to IGN yourself. Milo is very good at reading emotions and tones, but is having a very hard time responding to specific questions and statements
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname

I still dont see a game in it much. Bar the comical ones such as "you're in the movies", the eye toy games and things, and it could work very well for RTS, but beyond that I can't see how it'd take over a controller for shooting and what not.

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DECA555
@SmugDarkLoser said:
" Seriously now.  There are some things debatable and some not.  One thing that is not, is the fact that Milo is amazing.  Yes, it's a prototype, but imagine them making an adventure thriller out of this, it could be amazing.  Anyway, if natal can truly work as they say it does, it will be amazing.  Listen to what sessler says he experienced. 
Can you imagine a mystery thriller like this? Or how about Mass Effect where you can talk yourself out of most situations or just go in guns blazing (with a controller). "
blind fanboy devotion = SmugDarkLoser
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Ineedaname said:
"I still dont see a game in it much. Bar the comical ones such as "you're in the movies", the eye toy games and things, and it could work very well for RTS, but beyond that I can't see how it'd take over a controller for shooting and what not."

oh no, but as far as "hardcore" game implementation goes, as a complimentary thing, it gets to be awesome.
Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Guardian

Does the PS eye have a mic in it? I forget.... Thats what I like about Natal. Voice and object recognition. 

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheKidNixon
@AgentJ said:
"

maybe you should take a poke over to IGN yourself. Milo is very good at reading emotions and tones, but is having a very hard time responding to specific questions and statements
"
Well that is because its not "true" AI (which is something WE SHOULDN'T TRY TO DEVELOP!), but rather a series of programmed responses tasked with responding to certain key terms. In Mass Effect, this sort of thing is called "Virtual Intelligence" as opposed to artificial intelligence; one can actually learn and fully understand new concepts, and one merely recites information that it has been programmed to understand. When you mention "red ball," he knows exactly what you're talking about because he only has one red ball in his entire digital universe. When you mention fish, he "recognizes" that concept. When you mention fuzzlebits, he doesn't see that in his digital library and shuts down.

Clever programming could disguise things like that in the mythical investigation game I can see coming out of this. The key is to program as many possible 'key terms' as you can. The other aspect of Milo I'm interested to see over longer term is how he responds to extended exposure to someone. Can my "lessons" shape his conduct? Is that something that could be uploaded and updated as Lionhead continues to fiddle with their creepy android boy, basically an ongoing game of the "moral choices" aspect of Fable 2 with multi-tiered, systematic branching.

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Thunder

i really dont think that this is that cool

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Ineedaname
@SmugDarkLoser: Exactly it's nothing more than a side thing, maybe a party thing, and for the price it's probably going to cost almost as much as the xbox.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
@TheKidNixon said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"

"
Well that is because its not "true" AI (which is something WE SHOULDN'T TRY TO DEVELOP!), but rather a series of programmed responses tasked with responding to certain key terms. In Mass Effect, this sort of thing is called "Virtual Intelligence" as opposed to artificial intelligence; one can actually learn and fully understand new concepts, and one merely recites information that it has been programmed to understand. When you mention "red ball," he knows exactly what you're talking about because he only has one red ball in his entire digital universe. When you mention fish, he "recognizes" that concept. When you mention fuzzlebits, he doesn't see that in his digital library and shuts down.Clever programming could disguise things like that in the mythical investigation game I can see coming out of this. The key is to program as many possible 'key terms' as you can. The other aspect of Milo I'm interested to see over longer term is how he responds to extended exposure to someone. Can my "lessons" shape his conduct? Is that something that could be uploaded and updated as Lionhead continues to fiddle with their creepy android boy, basically an ongoing game of the "moral choices" aspect of Fable 2 with multi-tiered, systematic branching. "
Right, which means that the thing needs a lot more work. it'll get there someday, but hasnt reached potential yet. 
Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gruff182

It's interesting for sure, it would be cool to use in something like Mass Effects dialogue. But to be honest, i'd rather just play a game. I rather a Fable 3 for sure.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheKidNixon
@AgentJ said:
"
@TheKidNixon said:

Right, which means that the thing needs a lot more work. it'll get there someday, but hasnt reached potential yet. 
"
Absolutely agree; this isn't stuff we're going to see next year or maybe not in the next five years. But people like Molyneux, Bill Gates and Steven Spielberg are totally plugged into this technology and are going to put the time and resources into making it a reality. This has much broader applications than just gaming and I look forward to paying attention to its development.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By clubsandwich

I think natal has some serious potential.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive

im tired of your posts dude, your a massive fanboy, MS could have presented a turd at their conference and you'd be all over these forums trying to support it and defend it. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentJ
@TwoOneFive said:
" im tired of your posts dude, your a massive fanboy, MS could have presented a turd at their conference and you'd be all over these forums trying to support it and defend it.  "
Thats true, but they could have put every game in existance on XBLA and you'd still be bashing them, so i guess you two equal eachother out
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheKidNixon
@AgentJ said:
"
@TwoOneFive said:
" im tired of your posts dude, your a massive fanboy, MS could have presented a turd at their conference and you'd be all over these forums trying to support it and defend it.  "
Thats true, but they could have put every game in existance on XBLA and you'd still be bashing them, so i guess you two equal eachother out
"
BOOM! Roasted!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Diamond

I'll believe Milo is impressive when it's released and people can play it.  Until then it's Seaman 3.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

Hate watching the news after E3... Clueless journalist fucks reporting on games and technology. Gawd. Yeah this one channel chose Natal cuz it had Spielberg (now you see the importance of celebrities), coupled it with a load of hyperbole and then added some Killzone 2 and Guitar Hero footage on top as if they're related and it's what you can do with it...

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#29  Edited By Sin4profit

Anyone remember Game Face from EA? that thing that scanned yer picture and made a 3d model of yer face in the game? yeah, with a stereoscopic camera, which is what the natal is, that adds the potential of doing better 3d scans as well...that potential interests me. Imagine a world where i can hold an action figure up to a camera, have it scanned in and the next thing ya know I'm a Ninja Turtle, in a SWAT team, in Vegas...fuckin amazing...

But yeah, i see it as being an interesting compliment to a game...i see playing a game like Oblivion, calling out to an NPC and having them react or talking to the NPC, either naturally or speaking a keyword ( like "job" or "Duty") that triggers their lines rather then thumb through the options. I like the idea of casting spells with hand gestures rather then a button switch, i like the idea of manipulating the in game objects with my hands so when i roll a bear corpse down a hill or strip a dead lady of'er clothes and then pose her in a sexual suggestive manner i will be all the more amused...

Alright, seriously though..granted everything i mentioned that natal can do is technically software based (except for the 3d tracking) and can be done with the mic and xbox webcam we already have but i think the real point is, if microsoft impliments Natal's functionality within a firmware update itself, then wouldn't it be more easy for delelopers to implement these things into their games? i think that's more the selling point of Natal (to the "core" gamers or as complimentary to the usual gaming experience) then anything else...to have all that intergrated into the system so that developers can take advantage of that tech without having to invest their own time and research into it.

Masfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Masfo
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#31  Edited By LordAndrew
@keyhunter: I don't know about Red, but Odama was just a frustrating experience for me.
L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By L33tfella_H
@Guardian said:
" Does the PS eye have a mic in it? I forget.... Thats what I like about Natal. Voice and object recognition.  "
PS eye does have a mic i believe, and  a decent mic from what i've heard, but not sure myself.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince

Oh my god Smug, slow down. Stop with the ridiculous amount of threads.

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By altdimension
@SmugDarkLoser: In concept yes, it's quite amazing. Try the technology in real world situations and you may find it to be not quite so impressive. Still it's early days and I don't want to put across too much of a view on something that is so far off production. From what we know now it's something that I can say that, despite it's 'cool-ness', it won't be something I won't be buying. Even you must be able to see that the thing is going to cost a fat wad of cash.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Honestly, I'm blown away by this. Natal looks to be one of the most impressive things I've ever seen a video game do. Maybe it's early to jump to that conclusion and the final execution won't work so well. Afterall, look at how immersive the Wii ended up not being. Regardless, until given reason to believe otherwise, I shall remain intrigued and totally interested. It all really seems to be making a big leap into the future and is going beyond just being a video game.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36  Edited By natetodamax

Looks neat to me.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hairydutchman

If it doesn't work it's dumb, if it does work it's fucking creepy.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King

Eh, I think Natal is a bit too ambitious to actually work. I've heard that it uses the 360 camera, but I won't comment on that until I get confirmation.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Insectecutor

Looks like it could be cool, but I have reservations over where we're at with speech recognition technology and AI at the moment. If any of you want to try the best technology has to offer now, I recommend having a conversation with Elbot, who won the 2008 Loebner prize for artificial intelligence.

I'm also not sure about the motion capture, but I've gone into depth about that elsewhere in these forums.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gambit

The milo thing was scripted as for natall voice and face recognition and mo-cap have been done before kudos to mircosoft for throwing it all in one device. I really don't see it being as groundbreaking and Technologicaly advancing as everyone is going crazy about. If it was I don't think we would be hearing about it for the first time for a device I use when im bored or getting drunk with friends.But thats just what I think which doesn't really matter to anyone but myself anyway. I'm a little bias anyway I don't care for nor understand the whole motion controll craze.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By daz0608

It has a lot of potential, I want to see it though with more games

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Teh_Eel

If it works great, but at this point we have not seen enough of it to make a meaning full judgement. At least with Sony and Nintendo we have live demos and make a judgement.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Brendan

Realistically this peripheral is NEVER  going to be used in actual games this generation, it's just not financially feasable, as enough people would have to have them to support the title.  When it happens this generation it'll just have it's own shallow games (outside of interface additions). 

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Brendan said:
"Realistically this peripheral is NEVER  going to be used in actual games this generation, it's just not financially feasable, as enough people would have to have them to support the title.  When it happens this generation it'll just have it's own shallow games (outside of interface additions).  "
3d cameras don't cost that much....under $100
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By keyhunter
@LordAndrew: Yeah Odama is stupid.
trotchky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By trotchky

Molyneux is a great politician, I'll say that much.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#47  Edited By the8bitNacho

Amazing technology, yes.

Amazing from a gameplay standpoint?  No.  I don't want this in my games.

freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By freakin

Why do people assume Milo is a tech demo, I could see this evolving into something that outsells stuff like Nintendogs.  I mean there's a limit to how many people will want to play with this Milo character, but there's definitely value with this as a genre. 

And btw this peripheral will be packaged with every system when it comes out, so enough people having the peripheral shouldn't be a issue. 

trotchky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By trotchky

I'm not ignorant enough to say "I don't want this in my games" at this point.  My real concern is that the technology is far less versatile than it appears.

Dion720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Dion720

This is the birth of Skynet people!! :)