#1 Posted by Nushi (28 posts) -

I know someone must have raised this before, but seriously. Why is there no second joystick on the 3DS and will the PSP2 have one, i think we're at the point where I can expect a shooter on a portable device, but I'd prefer to use my iphone for shooters than anything on the ds or psp. 

#2 Posted by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -

I agree with you wholeheartedly, although I don't like playing iPhone games with the dual-stick "analog" controls because I'm afraid I'm going to wear out whatever coatings might be on the screen. Regarding Sony and Nintendo, I have to trust that these gigantic corporations make these sort of major decisions for what we can only hope are good reasons. That said, if PSP2 doesn't have dual-analog sticks, that's going to really blow.

#3 Posted by DragonBloodthirsty (469 posts) -

So few games use them, I'm surprised there's a second joystick at all.

#4 Edited by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -
@DragonBloodthirsty said:

" So few games use them, I'm surprised there's a second joystick at all. "

I don't follow . . . there's currently not a second joystick, so wouldn't it stand to reason why few games would use them?

If you build it, they will come.
#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

That's my one problem with the 3DS. If they're going to be porting N64 games (which they are), they should hav an equipivant for the c-buttons on the N64 controller, which might as well be a 2nd joystick. Not just for FPS', but also for camera control, the touch screen camera controls for Super Mario 64 DS were garbage.

#6 Posted by Gaughan (97 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" That's my one problem with the 3DS. If they're going to be porting N64 games (which they are), they should hav an equipivant for the c-buttons on the N64 controller, which might as well be a 2nd joystick. Not just for FPS', but also for camera control, the touch screen camera controls for Super Mario 64 DS were garbage. "
More likely the c buttons will be the D-Pad. Course this would be somewhat annoying as you're taking your hand off the nub.
That, or people will use the sensor for some sort of camera controls.
Personally I'm not bothered about a second analog nub, but I haven't experienced any PsP games so, yeah.
#7 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -
@Gaughan said:
" @TooWalrus said:
" That's my one problem with the 3DS. If they're going to be porting N64 games (which they are), they should hav an equipivant for the c-buttons on the N64 controller, which might as well be a 2nd joystick. Not just for FPS', but also for camera control, the touch screen camera controls for Super Mario 64 DS were garbage. "
More likely the c buttons will be the D-Pad. Course this would be somewhat annoying as you're taking your hand off the nub. That, or people will use the sensor for some sort of camera controls. Personally I'm not bothered about a second analog nub, but I haven't experienced any PsP games so, yeah. "
In Ocarina of Time, I think you had to keep the c-button held while you aim with your bow, boomerang or slingshot, then release it to shoot.  They're going to have to overhaul the controls for the 3DS version, because the old control scheme would be impossible with the D-pad positioned where it is. Not that that's a bad thing, though. A lot of those older games are feeling quite dated anyway.