Sega Respond To Fans Concerns

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
Sega have spoken out on fans concerns regarding the run animation seen in the recent teaser trailer.:  

"Today we have some good news to bring you guys in regard to Sonic's running animation in Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I! Specifically, we wanted to cover a topic that many of you have asked about after seeing the trailer. Q: Is the running animation in the trailer what Sonic's fastest running animation will look like in Sonic the Hedgehog 4? It looks kind of slow, don't you think? 

A: Actually, it is not his fastest speed! There is a faster animation for Sonic's running that was not shown in the trailer, and is more akin to what you might be familiar seeing from Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Sonic CD. So there you have it! We'll get to show you guys firsthand what that running animation looks like in the future - but until then, rest assured that there's a lot more to the game than what you saw in the trailer: running animations included."

Good news.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

Dude. They're making an episodic Sonic game. This was the thing I was least worried about.

demigonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By demigonis

Very good news. This pleases me. Stay on target, Sega!!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

Sega doing things right?

This feels weird.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TheJollyRajah
@extremeradical said:
" Dude. They're making an episodic Sonic game. This was the thing I was least worried about. "
If it weren't for the episodes, I'd be a lot more enthusiastic.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

I can't believe 

a) that internet people actually complained about "the running animation!!1"
b) that SEGA actually responded to that.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

People complaining about this have been utterly retarded.  Personally, I see this as a good thing, as it means we're moving away from the awful Sonic Rush/Advance games, were there's nothing to the gameplay but holding right and making Sonic move as fast as possible.  The old games were NOT like that!  The old games also had very good level design and an equal mix of platforming, not just speed.  Sega specifically said that Sonic will build speed based on momentum and the flow of the level, people just seemed to completely ignore this piece of information, but it's rather clear that Sonic was not moving at his fastest pace during the two second clip we saw of the gameplay.

I'm as skeptical as anyone when it comes to Sonic these days, but this is just head against the wall stupid.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I think people should wait to know exactly how long these episodes are before complaining about them. They could feel like full games (such as the episodes for Half-Life 2). They could not. But for now, we don't know.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust
@Vito_Raliffe: yep. 

But for a game based on speed, there should be more than one faster animation. The game should make you have motion sickness just from looking at the screen. That would be a crazy Sonic game!!!!
shiptoncraig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shiptoncraig
@WinterSnowblind said:

" People complaining about this have been utterly retarded.  Personally, I see this as a good thing, as it means we're moving away from the awful Sonic Rush/Advance games, were there's nothing to the gameplay but holding right and making Sonic move as fast as possible.  The old games were NOT like that!  The old games also had very good level design and an equal mix of platforming, not just speed.  Sega specifically said that Sonic will build speed based on momentum and the flow of the level, people just seemed to completely ignore this piece of information, but it's rather clear that Sonic was not moving at his fastest pace during the two second clip we saw of the gameplay.  I'm as skeptical as anyone when it comes to Sonic these days, but this is just head against the wall stupid. "

You're missing the point if you think that the issue is "if the animation represents Sonic's maximum speed, then the game will be crap"...   The issue is that the animation in the trailer just looked wrong.  In the context of the trailer, the Sonic sprites from Sonic 2 and 3 were running at full speed (though not Sonic 1 oddly enough).  I think it's natural to assume that the Sonic 4 model would be too.  Then you see the Sonic 4 model seemingly sliding along the floor because his legs aren't moving fast enough.  

Seeing as you can tell things from 2 second clips with ease, did you notice anything else in the trailer that didn't seem normal?
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@shiptoncraig said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:

" People complaining about this have been utterly retarded.  Personally, I see this as a good thing, as it means we're moving away from the awful Sonic Rush/Advance games, were there's nothing to the gameplay but holding right and making Sonic move as fast as possible.  The old games were NOT like that!  The old games also had very good level design and an equal mix of platforming, not just speed.  Sega specifically said that Sonic will build speed based on momentum and the flow of the level, people just seemed to completely ignore this piece of information, but it's rather clear that Sonic was not moving at his fastest pace during the two second clip we saw of the gameplay.  I'm as skeptical as anyone when it comes to Sonic these days, but this is just head against the wall stupid. "

You're missing the point if you think that the issue is "if the animation represents Sonic's maximum speed, then the game will be crap"...   The issue is that the animation in the trailer just looked wrong.  In the context of the trailer, the Sonic sprites from Sonic 2 and 3 were running at full speed (though not Sonic 1 oddly enough).  I think it's natural to assume that the Sonic 4 model would be too.  Then you see the Sonic 4 model seemingly sliding along the floor because his legs aren't moving fast enough.    Seeing as you can tell things from 2 second clips with ease, did you notice anything else in the trailer that didn't seem normal? "
I do agree that it looked odd.  Just that this clearly wasn't his top speed animation, and even if it were, it's not going to affect the gameplay.  And considering the series has had somewhat of a poor track record in the past 17 years, I think that's the important part.  More platforming, and less of the mindless speed we saw from the Advance games.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
"In other news, SEGA plays bait and switch with the Sonic fanbase. Vatican Shocked, while Washington says, quote Business As Usual unquote.   News at 11."
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By JonathanMoore

Good to know... I guess?
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dalai

Great, now the Sonic Cycle needs to be revised.