#1 Posted by D_Mac (124 posts) -

God I miss Ryan, and I am heartbroken by his loss. I can't imagine how devastated Ryan's friends and family are right now.

I met Ryan only once, at the Brattle on Rock Band Night just before PAX East 2012. He was running around, and I wanted a chance to say "hi" and "thank you", so I offered to buy him a drink. "Not now, buddy. Later." he said kindly, and patted me on the shoulder as he ran off, presumably to go do something funny or cool.

I got WAY too drunk in anticipation of being the first "band" up of the night. We performed our song, "opening band", and the judges (ie the Bomb crew) brutalized us. We were bad, and not "good bad", and deserved it. Unfortunately I got WAAAAY too drunk before I had a chance to buy Ryan that drink, and my fiancee and I stumbled back to the hotel, narrowly avoiding a gut stabbing (but that's another story).

I saw Ryan again at the panel. By this time I no longer had any liquid courage, and saw he was busy enough. I let him be. I never did get to buy him that drink, I didn't make the trip to PAX East 2013, I always thought there would be next year.

Like a lot of you, I've been listening to the Bombcast since the Arrow Pointing Down days. By now, many of you have talked about how close you felt to him, by just listening to the Bombcast and how personal and candid it is, and Ryan was. I feel the same way, Ryan was a big part of my life. I listened to the Bombcast virtually every night, and to that end, I tried to figure out a suitable tribute in his honour.

I'm not a talented artist, or musician. I'm a television news producer, and of all the things that affords me the ability to do, one thing, I think, would be kind of cool. I have access to broadcast television satellite transmitters from the CBC in Toronto. We have a long term lease on certain satellites, and we often don't use them very late at night. So: tonight, I'm going to broadcast the very last episode of Time Trotters to one of our satellites. If you happen to have a professional, tunable, steerable, satellite dish you should be able to see it around 11pm eastern time on the following coordinates:

Anik F1R T.24

(107.3 degrees)

SR: 5.8594 MS/s

FEC: 3 / 4 Mod: QPSK

Frequencies: D/L 11933.25 H

DVBS, Standard Definition

Like most broadcasts, it will leave the earth and hit the satellite in space, and then bounce back down to earth; so, for that short time Ryan's video image, voice, etc, will be in space. I think he would get a kick out of that. When I start transmitting I'll try to upload a picture from my control station of the signal going out.

Till then Duders.

#2 Posted by Sanity (1906 posts) -

Thats awesome, really cool idea, wish i had a dish to tune in.

#3 Posted by Gladiator_Games (444 posts) -

@D_Mac A brilliant idea and a fantastic homage. This is such a wonderful idea :) Thank you < >

#4 Posted by Skywarpgold (153 posts) -

This is an awesome idea.

#5 Posted by Reisz (1493 posts) -

That's great man, good on you. If I had the equipment I would tune in for sure.

#6 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

lol I was listening to the Space Pizza conversation when I saw this thread

#7 Posted by jessej07 (213 posts) -

That's really cool, man! Thanks for sharing all that and I wish you the best.

Now, about that almost stabbing...

#8 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1127 posts) -

Man that is an awesome idea. I only wish I had a dish to partake in that.

#9 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Call me morbid, but when i read the title i was picturing something out of kerbals space program....

#10 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

Goddamn perfect, duder. What would be even better is if THAT was the thing that the aliens picked up and saw.

#11 Posted by jaredog (41 posts) -

This is amazing. Great tribute duder.

#12 Posted by ColdPhone (60 posts) -

That's really cool, man.

#13 Posted by churrific (479 posts) -

Yeah that's way too cool. Kudos.

#14 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

That's an awesome tribute, I'm sure Ryan would have loved the idea.

#15 Posted by Nerolus (245 posts) -

This is so fucking cool.

#16 Posted by AlmostSwedish (552 posts) -

Amazing!

#17 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (410 posts) -

We have a few dishes at work! Going to see if some broadcast tech duders want to stay late in the office and have a TT viewing party

#18 Edited by BBAlpert (1468 posts) -

This is probably wildly illegal due to FCC regulations, but someone with a ham radio license (or access to one) should do the following:

1. Take an episode of the podcast or the video file for Time Trotters or something.
  2. Convert the file data to binary or hexadecimal or something (however that would be done)
  3. NUMBERS STATION!
#19 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

Call me morbid, but when i read the title i was picturing something out of kerbals space program....

Or Star Trek.

RIP my friend.

#20 Edited by Kaj235 (47 posts) -

Awesome idea! Someone that has the technology to do such a thing should stream it on a twitch channel or something so those without a satellite dish can experience it as well.

#21 Posted by GaspoweR (3022 posts) -

AWESOME tribute duder. :D

#22 Posted by Jackel2072 (2259 posts) -

Man it's funny I was just thinking of my old tunable Satellite today. Wish I still had it! Awesome idea man!

#23 Edited by Spoonman671 (4633 posts) -

I can't stop picturing Ryan flying through space in a pane of glass, General Zod style.

#24 Edited by Zamir (507 posts) -

this reminds of the a question an emailer once sent about being a space ghost or time ghost i guess Ryan will end up being both

also this might stop the aliens from invading us after hearing Ryan's affable voice they'll cancel their plans of invasion

#25 Edited by D_Mac (124 posts) -

Hey Space Duders!

I may have to send this out at 1030et, I know it's short notice, but that's how TV news is. I'll post a pic of it going out on my monitor from my station. In the mean time, here is Time Trotters on my Sony XDS PD-1000.

#26 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3866 posts) -

This is super rad, wish I had a way to catch it. Cool idea :)

#27 Edited by AuthenticM (3724 posts) -

I hope you don't get sued by CBS.

#28 Edited by SmithCommaJohn (141 posts) -

I'm sure Ryan would approve of this, as well. Might be a little harder to make the arrangements, though.

#29 Edited by D_Mac (124 posts) -

Currently rolling out.

All conquering aliens flee with terror!

"They can't kill you, if you're a cartoon."

#30 Posted by ThunderSlash (1721 posts) -

This is nuts. I like it.

#31 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1971 posts) -

That is amazing, you're doing great things.

#32 Posted by joker2k3 (35 posts) -

Thats amazing, I love the GB community

#33 Posted by Landmine (525 posts) -

@D_Mac That is really awesome.

#34 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

That is fucking nuts. I wish I had a satellite to try to check it out.

#35 Posted by TheHT (11240 posts) -

Somewhere 20 years from now, someone's gonna post on a forum asking about an old cartoon about time travelling gamers they saw randomly one night on TV as a kid.

#36 Edited by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Title of the thread made me think of To The Moon. Now I am doubly sad. Also, that it totally rad, dude.

#37 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

This is great. Great idea and glad to see another Torontonian.

#38 Edited by MelficeVKM (160 posts) -

Such a cool idea, good on you!

@theht: Oh god, that concept amuses me to no end. I think Ryan would really enjoy that

#39 Posted by TruthTellah (9002 posts) -

http://img.pandawhale.com/65402-dear-god-its-beautiful-mugatu-Zmxe.gif

#40 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -

awesome!

#41 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Such a great idea. Ryan would have loved it.

#42 Posted by Rabbykayn (225 posts) -

I told my wife what you are doing.. she isn't a Giant Bomb member, but knows what I'm going through. She thought your idea was cool. Then she went on to ask me what kind of space stuff Ryan liked... the feels.

#43 Posted by kerse (2113 posts) -

I wish I had something cool to do for Ryan, I'm not that artistic. I am a mathematics major and I actually tried to think if there was something I could do in tribute mathematically. Maybe there is something, but I haven't gotten to that part in my education yet. This is a really cool idea though.

#44 Edited by Winternet (8018 posts) -

That's awesome, dude.

#45 Edited by Kornnugget (28 posts) -

Thats awesome. Good job man!

#46 Posted by Fattony12000 (7404 posts) -
#47 Edited by MrAngryEyes (45 posts) -

This is boss! I think Ryan would of liked his voice flying through space!

#48 Posted by jonnybob (166 posts) -

This is awesome @d_mac, wish I could have tuned in...