#1 Posted by MrRedwine (428 posts) -

Ok, so I've been looking around for a gaming computer for around $2,000 and I came up with this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227434

Asus P9X79 Pro

Intel i7 3930k (3.2Ghz)

16GB DDR3 1600 Ram

120GB Corsair Force Series SSD

2TB HD

EVGA Geforce GTX 680

Liquid Cooled CPU

All under $2300.00

Of course, I could buy components and build it myself, but try buying the components in this rig for less than the cost of the computer as speced out. I can't find them any cheaper, in fact, I am hundreds of dollars more when I try.

So, I haven't heard great things about iBuyPower, but I haven't heard aweful things either.

Can anyone here take a look at that computer and tell me what you think?

#2 Posted by Franstone (1055 posts) -

Dear god that is way more expensive than building your own...

#3 Posted by MrRedwine (428 posts) -

@Franstone: Ok, so where are you buying components? Using Newegg, getting those components is way more expensive than that.

#4 Edited by believer258 (11034 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong with it. Looks like a very good rig.

As for the brand? I think the name sounds really cheap and cheesy, but other than that I know very little about them.

EDIT: Well, I google'd it, found this, which led me to this. They appear to be fairly good. Every notable computer company, ever, has made a handful of faulty products that have to returned, so if this one has a handful of bad reviews I wouldn't worry too much about it. What I would pay attention to is what people have to say about their customer service, tech support, refund policies, etc., i.e. the quality of the systems in place to make sure that the people who get bad computers are given a working version of that product or refunded their money.

#5 Posted by Franstone (1055 posts) -

@MrRedwine: Configuring one now...

Do you really need liquid cooling and a blue-ray drive? (which both could be added later if needed)

No point in spending the money on liquid cooling if you aren't going to try to break some records overclocking.

Considering how expensive mechanical HDDs have been (haven't checked prices lately) it may be better to get a 1TB to hold ya over, add another later if ya want.

#6 Posted by MrRedwine (428 posts) -

@believer258: Thanks for the lookups. I have heard bad things about their service, but i have heard good things about Newegg, which is where I would buy it from... so it's kind of a toss up there.

#7 Posted by Kidavenger (3378 posts) -

What monitor are you using?

It's a good price for what you are getting, all those components are worth over $2000, but it really looks overkill unless you are using a really high end monitor.

#8 Edited by Franstone (1055 posts) -

Just configured a nasty rig on NewEgg minus the liquid cooling and Blue-Ray for $1,916.71 (including shipping).

Add about $100 if you desperately want Blue-Ray and another $100 or less for liquid cooling.

A 1 TB Hdd instead of two would save you another $80 and I probably picked a more expensive MB so even more could be shaved off.

Oops, I picked the quad-core 3770 instead of a 6-core, that adds about $200 if ya went 6-core which ya don't even really need.

Either way, you can save at least $150+ for new games if ya build your own!

: )

Another edit: Wow that original MB is super expensive, didn't realize (just looked it up) @ $379.

The ASUS Sabertooth I picked is $130 less.

Some of those parts are way too expensive and unnecessary.

(oh yea, plus a free copy of Borderlands 2 with that Vid card bought on it's own.)

#9 Edited by Franstone (1055 posts) -

Paying $530 for that processor is insane, it's Intel's second most expensive CPU, the next step down is $240 less.

#10 Edited by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

You don't need that CPU, It's a waste of money. Also that computer goes all out besides Video Card and PSU. I'd not waste my hard earned money on that ugly thing (that case is hideous).

Have iBuyPower build you a custom rig or build your own.

Also using PCPartPicker, I built it for 1750 as is (This is not how I would build it though); minus OS, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/i2Nr

#11 Edited by Ghost_Cat (1294 posts) -

Holy shit that is one ugly case. I think Digital Storm has pretty good prices for their builds, but I honestly would just build one yourself. Not for saving money or anything like that, but for meditative enjoyment. But seriously, that case will end relationships.

#12 Edited by believer258 (11034 posts) -

@MrRedwine said:

@believer258: Thanks for the lookups. I have heard bad things about their service, but i have heard good things about Newegg, which is where I would buy it from... so it's kind of a toss up there.

You're welcome, but:

@Kidavenger said:

It's a good price for what you are getting, all those components are worth over $2000, but it really looks overkill unless you are using a really high end monitor.

This is wisdom; unless you're putting $1000 + into a absolute top of the line monitor to match your rig, you don't need something like you've got built. Hell, even if you are getting such a monitor, you don't really need all of that. That's not to say "don't get it if you don't have the money", I'm just saying that you could spend less and still run things at very high settings.

Also,

@Franstone said:

Paying $530 for that processor is insane, it's Intel's second most expensive CPU, the next step down is $200 less.

Why not go with this? I'd peg that as a damn good processor at a damn good price. Sure, your i7 is better, but the i5 2500K still holds up very, very well, and this is the next step up. I wound up putting an i5 3470 in mine (no plans to overclock so I saved $30) and I'm very happy with it.

#13 Edited by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -
#14 Posted by Franstone (1055 posts) -

@believer258: No argument on that, that's another $100 saved...

I personally would rather get the i7, hell I'd buy Intel's flagship CPU at $1,000 if I had money to burn but I tried to stay as close to his config as I could.

#15 Posted by MrRedwine (428 posts) -

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

So here's the situation, maybe this will clarify things a bit.

For my Birthday + Christmas combined, my dad is offering to put up $2000 for a brand new computer.

I have 2 kids and am a teacher, so I don't have a lot of free time and the idea of trying to keep everything straight while building kind of terrifies me with a 2 year old in the house.

I want this computer to be my main gaming machine for awhile. I don't intend to upgrade too often, although this setup allows me to buy another 16Gb of ram pretty easily and up to two more GTX 680s if the need arises. I intend to use this on my 50" HDTV in my living room as well as have a secondary display (a 23" plasma) off to the side for regular computing.

Does what I am looking at here make more sense with that situation?

Honestly, I was really out fishing for anyone who could find better components at that price, so if you had $2,000 to spend on a computer, what would you do?

P.S. I know the case is crazy looking, but it will be under a desk anyway.

#16 Edited by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

@MrRedwine said:

If I had $2,000 to spend on a rig, I'd build my own. This is literally the rig I would build and would immediately order now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/i2U9

#17 Posted by DarthOrange (3495 posts) -

I hate this about PCs. Everyone says build your own but no one says how. :(

Also that case looks like a drawing made by a child.

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14301 posts) -

This is the PC I literally just bought and put together on Monday and it came out to just over $1700. I got it from MemoryExpress.com. It is a beast of a machine, mouse fart silent and sexy as all hell in a nice compact case.

ItemPriceName
Case$129.99NZXT Phantom 410 Case, Black & White
DVD Drive$19.99LG SuperMulti 24x DVD Writer, SATA, Black, OEM
Hard Drive$109.99Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
PSU$159.99

Professional Series HX850 Modular Power Supply

GPU$449.99Asus GTX670 DirectCU II Geforce GTX 670 2GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
CPU$329.99Intel Core™ i7-3770K Processor, 3.50GHz w/ 8MB Cache
MOBO$209.99Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard
RAM$124.99HyperX Genesis 16GB PC3-12800 Quad Channel DDR3 Kit
#19 Posted by Raven10 (1584 posts) -

Okay so you don't want to build your own. Fair enough. I can respect that. Still probably wouldn't go with those parts though. If you are going to spend $2000 on a computer for gaming drop the CPU down a notch, go down to 1 TB HDD and then get a 690 instead of a 680. A lot of that stuff is overkill for gaming. Hell even 16 GB of RAM is probably too much. I've never seen a game require over 4 GB and I can't see one requiring more than 12 GB within the next five years. That type of RAM is for video editing with multiple monitors or really high end scientific research. I seriously doubt you'll need 16 GB. So maybe drop that to 12 GB if getting the 690 goes over your budget. But seriously go all out on the graphics card for a gaming PC. The CPU doesn't need to be super powerful. Again, that is for science stuff. A 4 Core i7 will be plenty enough for at least four or five years. Finally, as far as gaming today goes, the parts you have are overkill for an HDTV. You'd need above a 1080p resolution to really make the most out of those parts on all but the most demanding games. But a 690 will all but assure you are set for a full hardware generation. With that card virtually any game out today will play at 60 fps maxed out with no issues, even stuff like The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3.

#20 Edited by Franstone (1055 posts) -

Well in that case...

; )

ItemNamePrice
CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced$159.99
MotherboardASRock X79 Extreme9 LGA 2011$344.99
CPUIntel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6$299.99
RAMG. Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (4x4)$129.99
GPUEVGA GeForce GTX 680$499.99
PSUCorsair HX Series HX850$174.99
SSDCrucial M4 CT128M4SSD2$109.99
HDDWester Digital Carvair Black 1TB$109.99
OpticalASUS DRW-24B1ST BLK$19.99
CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO$34.99
OSWindows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit$189.99

$2,090.43 on NewEgg.com

And a free copy of Borderlands 2! Woot!!

Edit: At this point in time I'd even entertain getting Windows 8 and save $150 since it's supposedly only $40. (unless that's only the upgrade version, not 100% sure)

#21 Posted by Bollard (5022 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@MrRedwine said:

You're welcome, but:

@Kidavenger said:

This is wisdom; unless you're putting $1000 + into a absolute top of the line monitor to match your rig, you don't need something like you've got built. Hell, even if you are getting such a monitor, you don't really need all of that. That's not to say "don't get it if you don't have the money", I'm just saying that you could spend less and still run things at very high settings.

I really don't think you need to spend that much on a monitor at all... If you want to make sure you can max anything at 1080p 60fps solid (minimum) then it's totally cool to be using a decent monitor for like $200 or something. My 2 monitors are BenQ G2420HDBL's which are 60Hz 1080p backlit LED monitors with really low latency and only cost £140 each more or less. Everything looks gorgeous on my very high end machine as of 2 years ago (580 + i7), a more expensive monitor would just be detrimental. There's no way I can guarantee running everything at 120fps so a 120hz monitor would be a waste, and there's no way I could get a solid 60 maxed out in games like BF3 and Skyrim if I ran at resolutions above 1920x1200. So why buy a crazy expensive monitor? Your logic is a little whack.

#22 Posted by believer258 (11034 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@believer258 said:

@MrRedwine said:

You're welcome, but:

@Kidavenger said:

I really don't think you need to spend that much on a monitor at all... If you want to make sure you can max anything at 1080p 60fps solid (minimum) then it's totally cool to be using a decent monitor for like $200 or something. My 2 monitors are BenQ G2420HDBL's which are 60Hz 1080p backlit LED monitors with really low latency and only cost £140 each more or less. Everything looks gorgeous on my very high end machine as of 2 years ago (580 + i7), a more expensive monitor would just be detrimental. There's no way I can guarantee running everything at 120fps so a 120hz monitor would be a waste, and there's no way I could get a solid 60 maxed out in games like BF3 and Skyrim if I ran at resolutions above 1920x1200. So why buy a crazy expensive monitor? Your logic is a little whack.

Not my logic, I'm perfectly happy playing at 1080p, but some people aren't happy unless they're playing at 4K resolutions like 2560 x 1600, i.e. what a really fucking expensive computer monitor can output.

#23 Posted by damnboyadvance (4054 posts) -

I eventually want to learn how to build a PC. That rig looks pretty sick, if not expensive.

#24 Posted by MrRedwine (428 posts) -

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

It seems like the thing I'm hearing most of all is that it is "overkill" or that you would replace this with that because of your preference. I will be using the computer to do video editing of family videos and i want it to last through as much of the next console generation as possible.

What really strikes me about this computer is that it is built on the x79 architecture, has a GTX 680, and an SSD, I can't find anything at this price point with those 3 features in a pre-built.

Also, am I wrong in assuming that the liquid cooling will reduce overall fan noise? I plan on putting this in my living room and am hoping to keep fan noise down somewhat.

#25 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I'm building basically the same thing, only slightly better, and it costs around the same. Not sure why you're getting a price hundreds of dollars higher. A bit higher I would understand, but not hundreds. You should make your own. It'll be better for you, and won't differ that much in price. At the very least, don't buy from ibuypower, and don't buy a pre=assembled package. Customize it. I'd suggest something more like this: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=730653 Less than yours, and about the same. got rid of some needless things you don't really need, and it also has a better case, and the CPU will be water cooled and I believe overclocked.

Or you can check out the rig I'm working on building, and ignore all of the extra stuff like input devices and the like, and go for a much cheaper case, and I doubt you'll ever see the difference between 8 and 16GB of ram so you can cut things down there. YOu'd probably also be pretty happy with a 670 but that one I'll leave up to personal preference and willingness to spend a lot o money.

#26 Posted by MrRedwine (428 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: Thanks for taking a look.

I noticed that your rig doesn't have an SSD, that is a deal breaker for me. You also didn't include one in the Digital Storm build you made, which brings the price back up.

I intend to use my rig on my TV to play Blu Ray discs as well, so a Blu Ray player is needed.

#27 Posted by Bollard (5022 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@believer258 said:

@MrRedwine said:

You're welcome, but:

@Kidavenger said:

Not my logic, I'm perfectly happy playing at 1080p, but some people aren't happy unless they're playing at 4K resolutions like 2560 x 1600, i.e. what a really fucking expensive computer monitor can output.

Uh what? The minimum standard for 4k is more like 3840x2160 (UHDTV), 1600p isn't even close. And as I said, if you're rendering above 1200p there's no way you could guarantee a solid 60 with the OP's build in anything like BF3 and the like maxed. Which makes such an expensive monitor irrelevant, unless you're happy with 30fps. Plus you can look at it from the future proofing aspect. If everything he runs does so at 80+ maxed now at 1080p, he should be set for the next few years at that resolution too! If he was buying a crazy 2560x1600 rez monitor he would need to upgrade to have the same experience in less than 2 years...

#28 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@MrRedwine:

if you want an ssd worth having, you have to stop caring about price. A 120 gb slow ssd isn't going to make much difference, you need to spend at least 350 on a bigger ssd, at least enough to install an is, games, and store footage you are working on. Its silly for you to go for that bundle. If an ssd is a must, a good ssd should be too. Snappier windows isn't that important.

#29 Edited by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

There is a VERY strong argument for not buying into the hype and indulging in a world-beating rig.

The games industry, as it is currently, is not PC-centric. What exactly are you going to be doing with it? If you do a tonne of video processing, and/or work in 3D modelling and the like, then yes, go for it.

Considering an i5 2500K and a 560ti 448 would essentially have you playing every game of this generation (and next, likely) on the highest settings available, there is literally no need for the parts you're looking at.

Of course, even a step above those is worthwhile if you're looking to future-proof for a few years. Bragging rights are expensive, and very few people care enough to actually be impressed.

This is all from someone who, when I first got into PC gaming, had to have the very best of the best.

A few years down the line, and with far more money now than I had then, I would always opt for the more sensible, cheaper build.

#30 Posted by MrRedwine (428 posts) -

Ok, the monitor I have now is running at 1200p.

So, after a great deal of internal debate I am going to wait until after the Windows 8 launch and see what pre-built machines are doing at that point. I am thinking that having a touch screen would be something I would enjoy (a personal preference, to be sure) and I think that new machines will have better technology at better prices (as is always the case)

Thanks again, everyone for weighing in.

#31 Edited by JustinNotJason (418 posts) -

I'm tempted to build a new PC but I think I'm going to wait until new Consoles come out. Don't remember if it was on the Bombcase or Tested.com's "This is only a Test", but the point was raised that when new consoles come out the minimum bar for hardware will be raised and you should, in theory anyway, see a decent boost in CPU/GPU price/performance.

That and my current rig is handling just about anything I can throw at it (and its only a hair over 2 years old)---- Intel Core i7-940 || 6GB 1600Mhz (@1333Mhz) || ATi HD5850

Oh LGA1366 we hardly knew you.

#32 Posted by AiurFlux (899 posts) -

You do not need a 6 core CPU, at least not until they become commonplace and more reasonably priced. You're just wasting money at that point. It won't futureproof itself because you really can't futureproof a computer anymore with the rapid advancements in technology. The ONLY time you should ever get one is if you're doing CPU intensive processes, like video rendering.

Just going on Newegg, the Canadian one, I can build damn near top of the line for just over 1800.

PartProductPrice
CaseCooler Master Storm Trooper$149.99
MotherboardASUS P8Z77-V 1155 Motherboard$184.99
GPUEVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670$414.99
CPUIntel Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5 GHz$329.99
SSDCrucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 128 GB$109.99
HDDWestern Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB$179.99
PSUCosair HX750 750W Power Supply Unit$149.99
RAMMushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz$127.49
Heat SinkNoctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm$95.99
Blu-ray BurnerLG Black 14x Blu-ray Burner$79.99

Damn near everything is on sale. The Noctua CPU cooler, while ugly as hell, is probably the best heat sink on the market even outperforming some water cooling blocks. Also Noctua fans are notoriously quiet. Water cooling blocks in theory should be quieter, but the thing is you still have fans there to run cool air over the radiator fins and cool the water. They are as quiet as the quality of the fans put on them. The only problem with the NH-D14 is that you need low profile RAM, like the Mushkin Redline, to fit under it. As for the RAM it has incredibly tight timings so it will be fast and it also overclocks incredibly well because of those timings. Make a few cuts and save some money for a rainy day. There's really no reason to go overboard. If you do that then when nVidia releases their new GPU (Maxwell) to replace the 600 series (Kepler) next year you'll probably feel like an asshole for trying to futureproof that which isn't possible.

And build it yourself. It might seem daunting or you might just not feel like it, but knowing that you did something gives you a sense of satisfaction and a new bit of knowledge. Plus I find it fun problem solving how I'm going to do this and that and wire up the system for airflow and finding the best place for lighting.