Sequels I'd like to see, Part One: The World Ends With You 2

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Edited By Icemael

I thought I'd write some stuff about sequels I'd like to see, and what I'd like to see in them. The first one is...

The World Ends With You 2

The World Ends With You is my favorite Nintendo DS game, and my second favorite JRPG. The combat system made excellent use of both the dual screens and touch control. It took a while to get the hang of it, but once I did, I had more fun than I have ever had with battles in a JRPG. The story was great, the characters were likeable and the urban setting was a breath of fresh air compared to the usual clichéd fantasy or sci-fi settings most JRPGs use. What I'd like to see in a sequel is:

• Co-op.

While co-op would be hard to implement into the story mode, it would be awesome in an extra mode. You could do survival challenges, boss rushes, and battles with time limits. The battle system in TWEWY seems to be perfect for co-op - you always see your partner on the top screen, cooperate by timing your attacks to get light-puck multipliers, and since you share health bar you can't ignore your partner. I'm thinking it would be wireless(and online), both players fight on their bottom screens using pins, and you'd see your partner's battle on the top screen. I dunno about you guys, but I think it would be great fun and add replay value.

• A fresh start.

The developers didn't leave much room for a direct sequel, and I think the story of Shibuya's Reaper's Game is finished. They should keep the Reaper's Game concept, but a new location and new characters is a must. References and cameo appearance's are cool, but the characters from the first TWEWY shouldn't be significant to the story.

• More variation and customization when it comes to music.

Yes, the music in TWEWY was appropriate for the setting, and I admit that there was one tune I really liked. Once I had gotten used to the rest of the music it didn't bother me, but still... it needed more variation. Far from everyone likes J-pop and J-rock, so other genres would be appreciated. Heavy metal, blues, orchestral... and it should be customizable. In TWEWY you could buy tracks in in-game stores, but your track of choice only played on the pause menu. Why not let me set music I've bought to play on the field, in battles(maybe even let me set different tracks for bosses, mini-bosses and normal battles)? Buying a track I like and then being able to listen to it whenever I want would be awesome.

Some more depth to the relationships you have with vendors would also be really cool, but otherwise I think that's it. Look forward to the next part of "Sequels I'd like to see"... or don't - suit yourself!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael

I thought I'd write some stuff about sequels I'd like to see, and what I'd like to see in them. The first one is...

The World Ends With You 2

The World Ends With You is my favorite Nintendo DS game, and my second favorite JRPG. The combat system made excellent use of both the dual screens and touch control. It took a while to get the hang of it, but once I did, I had more fun than I have ever had with battles in a JRPG. The story was great, the characters were likeable and the urban setting was a breath of fresh air compared to the usual clichéd fantasy or sci-fi settings most JRPGs use. What I'd like to see in a sequel is:

• Co-op.

While co-op would be hard to implement into the story mode, it would be awesome in an extra mode. You could do survival challenges, boss rushes, and battles with time limits. The battle system in TWEWY seems to be perfect for co-op - you always see your partner on the top screen, cooperate by timing your attacks to get light-puck multipliers, and since you share health bar you can't ignore your partner. I'm thinking it would be wireless(and online), both players fight on their bottom screens using pins, and you'd see your partner's battle on the top screen. I dunno about you guys, but I think it would be great fun and add replay value.

• A fresh start.

The developers didn't leave much room for a direct sequel, and I think the story of Shibuya's Reaper's Game is finished. They should keep the Reaper's Game concept, but a new location and new characters is a must. References and cameo appearance's are cool, but the characters from the first TWEWY shouldn't be significant to the story.

• More variation and customization when it comes to music.

Yes, the music in TWEWY was appropriate for the setting, and I admit that there was one tune I really liked. Once I had gotten used to the rest of the music it didn't bother me, but still... it needed more variation. Far from everyone likes J-pop and J-rock, so other genres would be appreciated. Heavy metal, blues, orchestral... and it should be customizable. In TWEWY you could buy tracks in in-game stores, but your track of choice only played on the pause menu. Why not let me set music I've bought to play on the field, in battles(maybe even let me set different tracks for bosses, mini-bosses and normal battles)? Buying a track I like and then being able to listen to it whenever I want would be awesome.

Some more depth to the relationships you have with vendors would also be really cool, but otherwise I think that's it. Look forward to the next part of "Sequels I'd like to see"... or don't - suit yourself!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As much as I would love a sequel, I'm not sure they would be able to pull it off. It would end up feeling to same-y and suffer for it. I wouldn't really be interested in seeing the same characters after their stories had already been resolved, so pulling a Final Fantasy would definitely help its chances. For me to be interested, they would have to- like you said- do a different city with new characters, or scrap all the Reaper stuff and keep the general theme with some other crazy shit going down.

Like, what if they could go into a TV?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

As long as they don't actually put a number 2 on the end of the title or give it a subtitle (in other words, a whole new title) I like your idea. The story makes it clear that the reapers game has existed for a while, so perhaps a prequal would be in order.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By azteris

I'd just like to add that the title sounds like "The World Ends with You, too".

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ
Azteris said:
"I'd just like to add that the title sounds like "The World Ends with You, too"."
That sucks. The world should end with me and me alone.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By StarFoxA

Neku and friends should go to America.

Or something. Don't listen to me, I have dumb ideas.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Ferginator4k

I LOVED TWEWY and would kill for a sequel, it oozed style and had pretty unique combat.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By c1337us

Yeh I got the game on a recomendation and liked it alright. I never got through it though and I wouldnt be fussed with a sequel either way to be honest.

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By ishotmrburns
Azteris said:
"I'd just like to add that the title sounds like "The World Ends with You, too"."
The World Ends With

No Caption Provided

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By c1337us

^ LOL

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

TWEWY was incredible, but it doesn't need a sequel.

Although a hypothetical "U2" edition where the soundtrack is horrible Japanese renditions of "Beautiful Day" would be fairly awesome.