Sequels you found to be very disappointing.

• 120 results
Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mageman

Basically what were some sequels that you could just not be happy with or get into ?

Kingdom Hearts II was a huge let down for me. I really really enjoyed the original Kingdom Hearts but the sequel was just so...so....weird. It did not capture the feel of the world Kingdom Hearts made imo, it forced in a lot ''ANIMEH'' characters and concepts, the levels also seemed to be a lot more ''linearized'' than before. And I would welcome the changes they made to the combat system if they did not dumb down the difficulty so much. Overall I did not get any enjoyment from it sadly, but I heard many people liked it so cool I guess.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Super Mario World, give Super Mario 3 a sequel to be proud of.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Dagbiker said:

Sort of, yea. It's hard to call Super Mario World crap, but it's also hard to call it better than Super Mario Bros. 3.

Avatar image for chickenfeet5029
chickenfeet5029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By chickenfeet5029

After just finishing God of War 3 i was quite disappointed

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

Valkyria Chronicles 2, because hooooooooooooooly jebus did they screw that up story-wise.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai

@chickenfeet5029 said:

Elaborate please? I am dying to know how that game disappointed you?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By swoxx

Dragon Age 2.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DAFTPUNK

@Swoxx said:

Dragon Age 2.

confinedbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By confinedbread

I remember following Mercenaries 2 through every stage of development, getting super excited about it, and reserving a copy as soon as it became available. I counted the days til its release, and showed up at gamestop 15 minutes after it opened to pick it up. I went straight home to play me some hardcore mercenaries, only to discover that the game they sold me was surpassed by the original in every way. I begrudgingly tried to enjoy it for a few days, before finally taking it back to gamestop and getting my money back. And that, my friends, is the exact moment that my childhood ended.

Also, Crackdown 2. Fuck that game.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By matthias2437

Dragon Age 2. The first Dragon Age is one of my favorite games. Dragon Age 2 is one of the worst games I have played.

Generiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Generiko

Crackdown 2, Saints Row the Third, and Mass Effect 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Swoxx said:

Dragon Age 2.

Yeah definitely DA2. It's still a good game but not nearly as good as the first.

Runner up would be KOTOR 2.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By daiphyer

Dragon Age 2, Condemned 2, Banjo and Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jacksmedulla

I know I am in the minority, but I found Mass Effect 2 dull and tedious. Considering how much I enjoyed the original, I was very surprised at how uninteresting I found it.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By bed
Wolfenstein. as a follow-up to my all-time favorite online multiplayer shooter, the exceptions were too high, and any sort of expectations at all were not met by that game's multiplayer. single player was pretty dope though.   
TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TentPole

@Mordukai said:

@chickenfeet5029 said:

I don't know about him but I was super let down by how the story resolved in that game. That plus I thought the final fight with Zeus was lame and so it left me kinda on a bummer note. I think back on it and I think it overall had the best bosses and environments and so it really is probably the best. But the end of that game really deflated it for me.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By dabe

FFXIII. It is reprehensible in both game design and narrative/character/plot/story-telling terms. Just awful pacing, writing, interaction, linearity, Wapanese, anime tropes, tutorialising that culminates in vapid nonsense. I feel outrageously emphatic in this opinion and after completing the game in 80-odd hours I can say without doubt, FFXIII is one of the worst games I've ever played for longer than an hour or so.

As a man who loves the filmic works of Akira Kurosawa, Jim Jarmusch, Richard Linklater, Andrei Tarkovsky & others, the written works of Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Albert Camus & many more, the games of Bethesda, pre-EA Bioware as well as Dwarf Fortress, Yakuza, Shenmue, Killer7, Persona 4, FFVIII, FFX, MGS2, Bioshock 2, Lost Odyssey, Half Life, The Longest Journey, VTMB and many others; I can't believe this game has any apologists with regards to the use of a codex to explain what the cutscenes can't portray, the absence of a sense of place, the gaping void of a convincing or immersive game world and Vanille, Snow, Hope, Lightning, Fang or any of the auxillary characters that appear/disappear throughout.

Mafia II was shite.

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Flaboere

Starcraft 2. Starcraft was always mainly a singleplayer game to me, the story in the first and Brood War was awesome, but all the missions in 2 was about being stressed, and I missed some of the bigger, sit back and build your base for a long time-missions from the first one. I realize that the game is mainly made for multiplayer, but I was disappointed never the less.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#19  Edited By Kidavenger

@Mageman said:

Basically what were some sequels that you could just not be happy with or get into ?

Kingdom Hearts II was a huge let down for me. I really really enjoyed the original Kingdom Hearts but the sequel was just so...so....weird. It did not capture the feel of the world Kingdom Hearts made imo, it forced in a lot ''ANIMEH'' characters and concepts, the levels also seemed to be a lot more ''linearized'' than before. And I would welcome the changes they made to the combat system if they did not dumb down the difficulty so much. Overall I did not get any enjoyment from it sadly, but I heard many people liked it so cool I guess.

That's funny, Kingdom Hearts was one of my favorite games from that generation and I bought the second one the day it came out and it's still sitting wrapped on my shelf, never got around to playing it.

Dragon Age 2 I haven't been able to play more than 5 hours into it, what a huge let down.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Devil May Cry 4 while not a bad game is much worse then 3 and had some baffling design choices. I'm not disappointed with sequels because I manage my expectations.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By themangalist
@Mordukai said:

@chickenfeet5029 said:

It's boring and repetitive. I know I know it's God of War and it's supposed to be slashing dudes for 10 hours but the Labyrinth part is easily the laziest game design thing since the second last level's challenge rooms in Dante's Inferno.
SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

God of War 3 comes to mind. Yea some epic boss battles, but the combat was the same old crap I had played years ago, and got really boring after an hour.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MideonNViscera

@Dagbiker said:

Ah, but do you dislike Super Mario World more than Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's fucking Island? Cause that was a letdown of epic proportions for me.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang

Rayman 2, I'm in the minority that Rayman was so much better than Rayman 2, its style and graphics and its great soundtrack.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@Kidavenger said:

@Mageman said:

That's funny, Kingdom Hearts was one of my favorite games from that generation and I bought the second one the day it came out and it's still sitting wrapped on my shelf, never got around to playing it.

Dragon Age 2 I haven't been able to play more than 5 hours into it, what a huge let down.

You should play Kingdom Hearts 2. It's fucking great.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By Little_Socrates

I dunno if I've been much more disappointed in a game than Dead Rising 2. I actively dislike just about every change they made from the original Dead Rising, which I've unfortunately played into oblivion. I might not even like the original now if I could still play it for the first time, but at least it was more arcade-y than Dead Rising 2. However, I know I like the story better than that of Dead Rising 2, which is presented with some of the worst characters I've seen in games. The only sequel that comes to mind as similarly disappointing is Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which has some of the worst storytelling I've seen in a game this year. I mean it when I say that the first half of Duke Nukem Forever has better storytelling than the first half of the new Assassin's Creed, even if DNF has a worse story to tell. ACR is one of the biggest non-events in gaming, which is tragic because it comes from one of my absolute favorite franchises. I can't even say that I'm really at all excited for Assassin's Creed III anymore, though I'm sure I will be if they announce some crazy nonsensical gameplay element.

OH RIGHT. Writing about ACR reminded me that Metal Gear Solid 4 came out and almost completely ruined my favorite franchise of all time. Between its absolutely boring gameplay and its nonsensically written cutscenes, the knife is finally put in the bird in the game's post-credits finale, where Kojima suddenly decides he has to completely ruin the mythology for anyone sane who had managed to bond with the fiction.

Man, fuck bringing Major Zero back and ruining Liquid Ocelot.

Perhaps the biggest crime is how boring the game really is, though; between its awful attempts at humor, its substandard stealth and action, and its now-pastiched characters, Metal Gear Solid 4 completely fails to entertain throughout most of Acts 1-3 (albeit parts of Act 2 & 3 are pretty awesome) and offers zero compelling gameplay throughout the rest. It's kind of sad, really, how jaded I became about Metal Gear Solid after MGS4; I almost out-and-out refused to play Peace Walker, which my roommate picked up this week in the MGS HD Collection. Watching him play that game almost makes me more upset at MGS4, as in Peace Walker the storytelling, gameplay, and reverence for the source material is all back. MGS4 now comes across as the outrage of a man spurned, and I guess I'm glad he got it out of his system, but guys, that game is kind of awful, and if I actually allow myself to think that its plot conclusions are where the series was headed all along, I really, really start to hate Metal Gear Solid.

Of course, not counting the laws of "worst ever/most disappointing" there are other sequels that managed to disappoint me, at least a little bit. I'll run through those a bit more quickly.

-BioShock 2: I feel like somehow they just completely dropped the ball on the gameplay, and everyone seems to agree that the storyline and world don't match up particularly well with the original BioShock. I'll probably give this another shot someday because I don't like myself very much.

-Dragon Age II: I actually like Dragon Age II better than its predecessor even if I know it's probably a worse game, but it's still not enough to get me to enjoy a Dragon Age game. I'd say better luck next time, but I honestly don't care anymore.

-Modern Warfare 2: As the follow-up to the only shooter that could take on BioShock the year it released, MW2 disappointed me due to its slightly lackluster campaign and its dull multiplayer maps. I still probably like it better than a lot of the games that came out in 2009, but I didn't find it the landmark most folks did.

-Uncharted 3: While my thoughts on the game have been extensively recorded, I'll say that while I actually like this game better than its predecessor, it's also less exciting in many ways. Basically, even if Uncharted 2 managed to seriously drop the ball a couple times throughout its campaign and Uncharted 3 didn't, Uncharted 3 just isn't as awesome at its core as Uncharted 2. But at least it didn't have blue dudes.

-Dead Space 2: In essence, I found that multiple scenarios were not fun or tense, the story was a non-event, and a few individual rooms are downright bad. Great game, though, even if it's not as good as Dead Space.

-Gears of War 3: GoW3 is probably a great game if you've finished the other Gears titles and understand the character relationships. I haven't (even though I do enjoy them,) and the game gives no context for the characters' actions within itself, so sometimes you're baffled as to why characters are behaving as they are. It's also probably better if you don't find the franchise's fascination with Mad World as funny as I do, as the game's most successful emotional moment totally plays that song alongside a montage of explosions, so I wound up laughing pretty hard. Unfortunately, the campaign gameplay is also finally beginning to show its age, and I'll just say I'm glad the Gears trilogy is over for now. Gotta up that multiplayer though, that is better than ever.

-Fallout: New Vegas: If you worked just a little better, I would be ALL UP IN YOU. Right now, though, I'm instead more tempted to go into Skyrim or Fallout 3.

-The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings: Okay, so this is not an actual complaint about the game, but why is version 2.1 not compatible with Kaspersky 2011? My brother lost the password and email he input for Kaspersky, so we can't get the free upgrade to 2012, and now I'm stuck not being able to play The Witcher 2. Big bummer.

-Resident Evil 5: The controls are not as good as those in Resident Evil 4, straight up. Also, the gameplay is less arcade-y, so most of the awesome factor has been taken out. However, it's also no longer scary because they wanted it to be an action game. Basically, most of the flavor is gone, and what's left is not very exciting. Also, why would you make a co-op game where one party member's name is literally not said by anyone but the protagonist for nearly two hours during the game's ending?

-DOOM 3: Okay, so I hadn't played the other two DOOM games when I first played DOOM 3, but now that I have...what the fuck, guys?

EDIT: Sorry to dump a blog post in the middle of your thread! I feel like I need images to help the pacing.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PillClinton

@Mageman: I didn't even play KH2 for those exact reasons. All the trailers they put out for it really turned me off in a big way, and I loved me some original KH.

My answer: Mass Effect 2. Hated the linearization and shooter-ness they forced in, and missed all the loot and customization. It felt 'dumbed down' to me.

Avatar image for andrewbeardsley
AndrewBeardsley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AndrewBeardsley

fable 3....

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Dragon Age 2, Crackdown 2, Oblivion, Metal Gear Solid 4, Mario Galaxy 2, Star Wars: Old Republic

@PillClinton said:

@Mageman: I didn't even play KH2 for those exact reasons. All the trailers they put out for it really turned me off in a big way, and I loved me some original KH.

My answer: Mass Effect 2. Hated the linearization and shooter-ness they forced in, and missed all the loot and customization. It felt 'dumbed down' to me.

I hate how much they turned it into a shooter.. But it wasn't really any less linear, in fact I think you had a lot more freedom to go where you wanted and the choices made a much bigger difference. Loot did nothing in the first game, except exist to be broken down into medi-gel and although there were more skill options in the original, a good chunk of them were worthless. DA2 and Oblivion are great examples of games simply being dumbed down for a wider audience, but for the most part, I think ME2 just streamlined a lot of the crap. There are a few things I would have done differently, but hopefully we see them learn for ME3.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By ventilaator

Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 3

Wait...I got too ahead of myself.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaptainCody

@WinterSnowblind said:

Dragon Age 2, Crackdown 2, Oblivion, Metal Gear Solid 4, Mario Galaxy 2

@PillClinton said:

I hate how much they turned it into a shooter.. But it wasn't really any less linear, in fact I think you had a lot more freedom to go where you wanted and the choices made a much bigger difference. Loot did nothing in the first game, except exist to be broken down into medi-gel and although there were more skill options in the original, a good chunk of them were worthless. DA2 and Oblivion are great examples of games simply being dumbed down for a wider audience, but for the most part, I think ME2 just streamlined a lot of the crap. There are a few things I would have done differently, but hopefully we see them learn for ME3.

Judging from all the ME 3 footage that's been shown it may be streamlined even further. That said, Dead Space 2 was pretty damn disappointing.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By mosespippy

@Cloudenvy said:

Valkyria Chronicles 2, because hooooooooooooooly jebus did they screw that up story-wise.

This!!! I'm so glad I played through in Japanese first so I didn't know how bad it was. The game mechanics were fine but the plot and characters were garbage. VC3 seems better but without an english version I don't know for sure.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PillClinton

@WinterSnowblind: Honestly, I don't remember all that much about the original ME, other than the fact that I liked it a whole lot more than I did ME2, which just felt excessively streamlined to me.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@CaptainCody: They've only been showing combat footage of ME3 so far, so I don't think it's fair to base anything on that. Just look at how they tried to advertise Dragon Age Origins, if you were only going by the videos they released, you've have thought it was a God of War clone with heavy metal playing all the way through.

They did delay the game after the universal backlash from DA2, so I wouldn't be surprised if they've gone back and RPG'd it up a bit more. If it does turn out to be even less of an RPG.. I'll think twice before buying any future Bioware games.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By Dagbiker

@MideonNViscera said:

@Dagbiker said:

Ah, but do you dislike Super Mario World more than Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's fucking Island? Cause that was a letdown of epic proportions for me.

Your right, if i had to pick one Super Mario World, I would pick the original.

I also agree that i liked ME better then ME2

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By swoxx

@Ventilaator said:

Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 3 Wait...I got too ahead of myself.

AWWH BUUUUUUUUUURN!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age 2 was really the only time I can remember where I was severely disappointed in a sequel. There's been times where I've not liked sequels as well, but not any that I can remember besides DA2 that I was actually disappointed.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MoseSSesoM

The Suffering: Ties That Bind is probably my most disappointing sequel I have ever played.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By Vexxan

Halo 3, single player-wise. I'm not a huge Halo fan nor did I play a lot online but to me it wasn't that great.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By ajamafalous

Mass Effect 2 
Dragon Age 2 
Crackdown 2 
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts 
Halo 3 
Fable II 

I'm sure there are more.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#43  Edited By BeachThunder

Mass Effect 2: it was still a good game, but it would have been much nicer if they didn't forget about what made the first game interesting...

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@confinedbread said:

I remember following Mercenaries 2 through every stage of development, getting super excited about it, and reserving a copy as soon as it became available. I counted the days til its release, and showed up at gamestop 15 minutes after it opened to pick it up. I went straight home to play me some hardcore mercenaries, only to discover that the game they sold me was surpassed by the original in every way. I begrudgingly tried to enjoy it for a few days, before finally taking it back to gamestop and getting my money back. And that, my friends, is the exact moment that my childhood ended.

Also, Crackdown 2. Fuck that game.

Mercenaries 2 is mine as well. The first game is one of my favorites and I was super excited for the sequel, but the demo alone killed it for me.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By VisariLoyalist

resistance 3... idk what i expected it was pretty much just more resistance

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Codeacious

Dragon Age 2. Damn, that game was AWFUL.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By beforet

Valkyria Chronicles 2 paled to the original. The core gameplay was improved, but the writing and setting was pretty bad.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By tourgen
@Swoxx said:

Dragon Age 2.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#49  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Mageman said:

Ironically, I liked Kingdom Hearts II a lot more than the first because of how totally stupid it got by the end. Alright, let me try to summarize the plot: The bad guy of Kingdom Hearts II is the nobody of Ansem, who is actually Xenahort because the real Ansem is voiced by Christopher Lee. And Tron is in it. Of course, you and I clearly are coming from opposing angles. Much like Final Fantasy X-2, I find Kingdom Hearts to be enjoyable in the most utterly flippant way possible.

Oh. and Dragon Age II. Because that's a thing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#50  Edited By Hailinel
@ArbitraryWater

@Mageman said:

Ironically, I liked Kingdom Hearts II a lot more than the first because of how totally stupid it got by the end. Alright, let me try to summarize the plot: The bad guy of Kingdom Hearts II is the nobody of Ansem, who is actually Xenahort because the real Ansem is voiced by Christopher Lee. And Tron is in it. Of course, you and I clearly are coming from opposing angles. Much like Final Fantasy X-2, I find Kingdom Hearts to be enjoyable in the most utterly flippant way possible.

Oh. and Dragon Age II. Because that's a thing.

Actually, Xemnas is the Nobody of Xehanort, who assumed the real Ansem the Wise's identity. Xehanort was then split into a Heartless named Ansem and a Nobody named Xemnas. The Christopher Lee Ansem is the real Ansem the Wise that Xehanort pretended to be.