Sequels you found to be very disappointing.

• 120 results
Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Packie

Despite being a solid game on its own, Mass Effect 2. I actually liked what they did with the combat, it felt much more fluid and involving but Bioware still haven't found the right balance for mixing the RPG elements with the shooter elements. My biggest issue with the game is the plot, I quite honestly felt that nothing of significance was accomplished and that god-awful reveal in the last hour just ruined it for me.

Also Metal Gear Solid 4, I can't say anymore than what Little_Socrates already said. He pretty much nailed every single problem I have with this game.

God of War 3 gets an honorable mention.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By artelinarose

Dragon Age 2. I love Dragon Age: Origins. I've played it five times since it came out. Couldn't even finish the second game a single time. UGH.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By swoxx

@Artemesia said:

Dragon Age 2. I love Dragon Age: Origins. I've played it five times since it came out. Couldn't even finish the second game a single time. UGH.

I'm the same way, own origins both on console and PC and played through it at least 5 times. I somehow somehow finished DA2 3 times even though I didn't like it.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@jacksmedulla said:

I know I am in the minority, but I found Mass Effect 2 dull and tedious. Considering how much I enjoyed the original, I was very surprised at how uninteresting I found it.

It was nothing like the original so it's not surprising at all.

Mass Effect 2 is the top of my list of disappointing games as it is, so it's definitely top of the list of most disappointing sequels. The original Mass Effect was probably my favorite game of all time, I played over 400 hours of that game on like 3 different systems.

Then Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age is the only reason the original Mass Effect is only probably my favorite game of all time, because Dragon Age: Origins is very very very very close.

Crackdown 2 because they had a chance to really fix all the issues of the original and make a really stellar game and instead made a game that in some pretty major ways was actually worse.

Duke Nukem Forever because Duke 3D was what I grew up playing (it was actually my first game, as far as I know) and had a lot of fun with even the old side scrolling games. My Duke 3D disc had an awesome early shooter, a bunch of demos for kick ass games like Terminal Velocity, and the original Duke Nukem games. Forever just came with a broken promise from one of my favorite developers.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Little_Socrates: I don't think putting Gears 3 in that list is in ANY way within the spirit of this thread... And if you haven't played the other games, you should. There is no reason a developer should have to set everything up again and again. If you start Lord of the Rings at Return of the King you're going to be lost. It's not their job to catch you up on the entire rest of the series especially when they want you to play the damn games and pay them money to do so. I'd rather they not spend any time re-establishing characters and just continuing the story so people who did play earlier games didn't have to go through a really slow paced needless introductory.

And also, Gears of War 3 has a "previously on Gears" video on the disc. Ya really don't need to know much more than it gives you, really. There's not much to those first games.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#106  Edited By Little_Socrates

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Little_Socrates: I don't think putting Gears 3 in that list is in ANY way within the spirit of this thread... And if you haven't played the other games, you should. There is no reason a developer should have to set everything up again and again. If you start Lord of the Rings at Return of the King you're going to be lost. It's not their job to catch you up on the entire rest of the series especially when they want you to play the damn games and pay them money to do so. I'd rather they not spend any time re-establishing characters and just continuing the story so people who did play earlier games didn't have to go through a really slow paced needless introductory.

And also, Gears of War 3 has a "previously on Gears" video on the disc. Ya really don't need to know much more than it gives you, really. There's not much to those first games.

It wasn't that I didn't know what happened in the previous Gears games from a plot perspective; it was more the way people perceive the Dom/Marcus friendship and the Anya romance. The game doesn't really set those up properly at ALL on its own, especially the Anya romance which is thrown in and acknowledged in the very last cutscene. I said the game was disappointing, not that it was bad. But the Metal Gear Solid games and Devil May Cry games (excluding 4 and Peace Walker) manage to create stories that interconnect AND remain independent. I think I preferred that. Meanwhile, again, I think that gameplay is showing its age, and it certainly didn't motivate me to finish the previous two titles. Also, Acts 3 and 4 are just plain BORING, especially if you find the Mad World thing humorous.

That said, this is not a thread about "bad" sequels, it's a thread about sequels that are disappointing. I was disappointed by Gears 3 because it made me realize that I don't really like Gears of War, while what I played of Gears 2 managed to trick me into believing otherwise.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By HellBrendy

@jacksmedulla said:

I know I am in the minority, but I found Mass Effect 2 dull and tedious. Considering how much I enjoyed the original, I was very surprised at how uninteresting I found it.

Same here. I will still play it though, but it's a huge dissapointment from Mass Effect.

My main answer is GTA IV though. God what a dull game.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By Grillbar

cod bo, mw3, ac rev, bioshock 2, killzone 3,dmc 4, dragon age 2 i can go on i was also disapointed in incahrted 3 but not enough to say anything bad about it. it just was not as good as 2, but im not complaining

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Uncharted 3 because it is a shadow of the game that 2 is.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#110  Edited By Commisar123

Dragon Age 2, it had so much promise.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By HerbieBug

@confinedbread said:

I remember following Mercenaries 2 through every stage of development, getting super excited about it, and reserving a copy as soon as it became available. I counted the days til its release, and showed up at gamestop 15 minutes after it opened to pick it up. I went straight home to play me some hardcore mercenaries, only to discover that the game they sold me was surpassed by the original in every way. I begrudgingly tried to enjoy it for a few days, before finally taking it back to gamestop and getting my money back. And that, my friends, is the exact moment that my childhood ended.

Yeah. I loved Mercenaries 1. I still wonder how it went so very wrong for the follow up.

Let's see here...

Hitman: Contracts was a letdown coming after Silent Assassin. The decision to go with darker themes and corresponding dim lighting throughout upset the delicate balance Silent Assassin established. Bright lighting and every day environs in contrast with the grim nature of your assignments is key to the Hitman formula. Secondly, the redone versions of the Hitman 1 maps in Contracts were all very empty feeling, as if they didn't have enough processing power on the consoles at the time to populate the maps as originally intended. Blood Money made up for these shortcomings in spades though. I was so very pleased with that sequel. Excited for the new one and fingers crossed they don't fuck it up.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By HerbieBug

@mcderby4 said:

Mass Effect 2 improved on almost everything, even though it did basically simplify customization completely. They more than redeemed themselves with incredible characters, loyalty missions, continuity, interesting locales and taking out those blasted elevator sequences.

Removal of actual elevator sequences in favor of elevator animation loading screens was not an improvement.

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By Moody_yeti

Dragon age 2,Really disappointed in that game.

Really really generic :(

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By TehFlan

@Video_Game_King said:

@BoG:

What? Super Mario Bros. 3 had the better power-ups and levels and stuff. Yoshi can't beat that.

I actually prefer the cape over the tanooki suit.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Bawlsz

@evilrazer said:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

I absolutely love the previous games on almost every single aspect, but the last one is not my cup of tea. First of all I'm tired of the same gameplay, even though this game has couple of unique touches, I still can't stand the fact that I have to start building my empire from the scratch. This is not fun for me anymore and I don't get the same satisfaction and excitement withdrawing money from the bank account to buy some new stuff. Furthermore tutorial in this game is too damn long, even though it is not presented as a tutorial and they tie it with the story very nice, but it is a tutorial and it's tedious. It has become a chore for me to collect money, buy shops, clothes and monuments.

This, I am currently playing AC:R right now, just completed Session 4 of Ezio's story and Session 1 of Desmond's story, however it is becoming tiring of rebuilding the city, its tiring to clear each tower of Byzantine/Templar stronghold, then there's the poor tower defence, you defeat every wave then they send a siege machine that destroys everything all of your defences.

This is also a personal thing but I hate collectables, but you have to get Animus Fragments to access Desmond's Memories. I didn't enjoy the first one and they're probably more of the same, which are disappointing.

The little changes they did to the game, such as things as the notoriety in that Ottoman Guards and Byzantium/Templar guards are the same, also trying to decrease your notoriety is allot more tedious.

I also agree with people here, on why they had to change how the character's look, especially Desmond.

Also is it me or does it seems there are allot more guards stationed on the rooftops then in the previous games?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By wrighteous86
Hey, remember all the stuff you liked in the last game? Forget all that.
Hey, remember all the stuff you liked in the last game? Forget all that.
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By mandude

Dragon Age 2. Man, I feel a part of me dying every time I think of it. It has to be the worst let down I've ever had.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#118  Edited By ThePickle

@HerbieBug said:

@mcderby4 said:

Mass Effect 2 improved on almost everything, even though it did basically simplify customization completely. They more than redeemed themselves with incredible characters, loyalty missions, continuity, interesting locales and taking out those blasted elevator sequences.

Removal of actual elevator sequences in favor of elevator animation loading screens was not an improvement.

Yes it was.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#119  Edited By Deranged

@HerbieBug: Yes it was because the time was shortened and standing in an elevator for 30 seconds was completely unnecessary and irritating.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#120  Edited By Slaker117

This is kind of a weird answer because it's still one of my most played games of all time and I love it, but Halo 2. Ultimately the game they made is still pretty good, but it could have been so much more and less totally fucked up in weird ways that only crazy people like me know about.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Deathawk

I was pretty disappointed with Power Stone 2 back in the day. The first game was a fun one on one arena fighter, whilst the second was just chaos for chaos sake.

bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#122  Edited By bigchief

Dragon Age 2 was legitimately one of the worst games I've played in a long time. I'm still astounded at all the ways they managed to undo everything that was great about Origins.