Series with biggest leap in quality from one entry to the next?

• 124 results
Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deadmeat

I think from Burnout 2 ---> Burnout 3 for me was the most drastic shift. The second was a pretty fun game, with a neat little crash mode. The 3rd totally blew my mind when it came out. Come to think of it, that may be the last time I was "suprised" by a game. I suppose they should have come out relativily close to one another. It's hard to compare games 4 generations apart.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

UT99 -> UT2k4 

At the time, hearing about Bump-Mapping was crazy.  UT2k4 looked like Crysis back then.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By GoofyGoober

GTA 3-GTA4?

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HODGEY3000

Doom 2 to Doom 3

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By willin

Super Mario 2 to 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Everything before Resident Evil 4 -> Resident Evil 4. 

That game did so many things right and stands as one of the modern greats. I don't mean to say it's predecessors were anything less than stellar, but 4 really did produce a paradigm shift in the series' direction/quality. 

5 isn't great, though.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By IBurningStar

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake to Metal Gear Solid

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By FLStyle

DMC2 -> DMC3

Fuck you DMC2.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
@FLStyle: They made a DMC2?
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Whichever Duke Nukem before it -> Duke Nukem Forever

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jimbo
@GetEveryone said:
"I don't mean to say it's predecessors were anything less than stellar, but 4 really did produce a paradigm shift in the series' direction/quality.  5 isn't great, though. "
lol'd.
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kjellm87
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Red Dead Revolver to Red Dead Redemption. Because someone was gonna say it if I didn't.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Icemael
@GetEveryone said:
" Everything before Resident Evil 4 -> Resident Evil 4. "
Either this or Zelda II: The Adventure of Link -> The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Assassin's Creed -----> Assassin's Creed II was pretty radical in terms of quality.  A lot of the repetition was taken out, but on top of that, the storytelling was magnificently handled.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By PhatSeeJay

GTA 2 to GTA 3

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By beeftothetaco

A lot of people will disagree with me, but I think it was Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask. Ocarina of time was great, but I feel like MM refined the formula quite a bit and implemented some really unique concepts. Plus the game was creepy as fuck (I was 9-10 at the time) which I loved. (Remember the waterwheel man? Holy shit.)

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Sooty
@GetEveryone said:

" Everything before Resident Evil 4 -> Resident Evil 4.  That game did so many things right and stands as one of the modern greats. I don't mean to say it's predecessors were anything less than stellar, but 4 really did produce a paradigm shift in the series' direction/quality.  5 isn't great, though. "

4 wasn't the best game in the series and is ultimately why the series has became what it has; a shadow of its former self.

Yeah, it was a competent action game that made good use of the perspective, but it wasn't a proper Resident Evil game or worthy of being the next entry in the series.

The gunplay in 4 and 5 is laughably bad, enemies just bounce when you hit and kill them. Please, They didn't even bother fixing/improving the animation when you kill standard enemies.
ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ViciousReiven

The last 3 Elder Scrolls games, and continuing to the next, every game is a huge leap forward.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Three0neFive

Dragon Age 2 -> Dragon Age: Origins

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#21  Edited By donutfever

Assassin's Creed 1 to 2.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By MetalBaofu

Plenty of good answers for this.  I always think about Assassin's Creed, though.  I did not really enjoy the first one at all, which also made me wary of the second one when it came out, but it was great.   Now I really like the series(still don't like that first game, though).

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Surkov

Ico to Shadow of the Colossus.  

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#25  Edited By donutfever
@beeftothetaco said:
" A lot of people will disagree with me, but I think it was Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask. Ocarina of time was great, but I feel like MM refined the formula quite a bit and implemented some really unique concepts. Plus the game was creepy as fuck (I was 9-10 at the time) which I loved. (Remember the waterwheel man? Holy shit.) "
Agreed. I played it when I was about 6, and Link's screams every time you put on the Deku/Goron/Zora/Fierce Deity masks scarred me for life.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Doctorchimp

Assassin's Creed 1 to 2.

2 is actually a videogame that's playable.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pinworm45

no idea how no one has said Half-Life yet.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shadow
@KaosAngel said:
" @FLStyle: They made a DMC2? "
Well...no. As everyone knows, they went directly from 1 to 3. I don't get what this guy's talking about either.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ygg said:

" @GetEveryone said:

" Everything before Resident Evil 4 -> Resident Evil 4.  That game did so many things right and stands as one of the modern greats. I don't mean to say it's predecessors were anything less than stellar, but 4 really did produce a paradigm shift in the series' direction/quality.  5 isn't great, though. "

4 wasn't the best game in the series and is ultimately why the series has became what it has; a shadow of its former self.  Yeah, it was a competent action game that made good use of the perspective, but it wasn't a proper Resident Evil game or worthy of being the next entry in the series.  The gunplay in 4 and 5 is laughably bad, enemies just bounce when you hit and kill them. Please. "
There was a touch of irony to my post, but I'll bite. 

Everything about 4 was better than it had been in previous installments. I'm a massive Resi fan, but I'm not blind to its faults. The game has generally handled very poorly and had a terrible narrative. 4 tidied up a lot of this. 5, unfortunately, missed the point a bit. It tilted the axis too much; retreading almost entire scenes from 4 (e.g. escaping Salazar's Right hand - basement/escaping the Uroboros - furnace) without any of the tension and double the machismo.

I imagine most people would agree with me. 

@beeftothetaco said:
" A lot of people will disagree with me, but I think it was Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask. Ocarina of time was great, but I feel like MM refined the formula quite a bit and implemented some really unique concepts. Plus the game was creepy as fuck (I was 9-10 at the time) which I loved. (Remember the waterwheel man? Holy shit.) "
Such a great shout. Majora's Mask mixed things up in that universe so well, but it went down like liver oil. Beautiful side-missions. The collecting had a point and offered rewards, the temple design was fantastic, and the time-mechanic added a thoughtful, management dimension.

Not to mention the generally fantastic atmosphere and sense of foreboding in that world.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@Ygg said:
"

@GetEveryone said:

"

Everything before Resident Evil 4 -> Resident Evil 4.  That game did so many things right and stands as one of the modern greats. I don't mean to say it's predecessors were anything less than stellar, but 4 really did produce a paradigm shift in the series' direction/quality.  5 isn't great, though.

"

4 wasn't the best game in the series and is ultimately why the series has became what it has; a shadow of its former self.  Yeah, it was a competent action game that made good use of the perspective, but it wasn't a proper Resident Evil game or worthy of being the next entry in the series.  The gunplay in 4 and 5 is laughably bad, enemies just bounce when you hit and kill them. Please, They didn't even bother fixing/improving the animation when you kill standard enemies.

"

Agreed. I thought 4 was a devolution if anything. Maybe the biggest RE jump was 3 to Code Veronica imo.
TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwilitEnd656
@KaosAngel said:
" @FLStyle: They made a DMC2? "
Nope. It never happened. People are just crazy.
... But yeah, that's what sticks out to me.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By imsh_pl

CoD 3 ->CoD4

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By beeftothetaco
@Pinworm45 said:
" no idea how no one has said Half-Life yet. "

A lot of people consider HL 1 to be one of the best FPS games of all time. Also, when HL 2 was first released, it was bugged to shit. 
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mnzy
@KaosAngel said:
" UT99 -> UT2k4  At the time, hearing about Bump-Mapping was crazy.  UT2k4 looked like Crysis back then. "
What about UT 2003?
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By mosespippy
@KaosAngel said:
" UT99 -> UT2k4  At the time, hearing about Bump-Mapping was crazy.  UT2k4 looked like Crysis back then. "
You seem to be forgetting about UT2k3's existence.@GoofyGoober said:
" GTA 3-GTA4? "
GTA2 - GTA3 was a MUCH more drastic leap, not to mention the fact that there were 5 GTA games between GTA3 and GTA4.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
@mnzy said:
" @KaosAngel said:
What about UT 2003? "
Doesn't exist.
GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GoofyGoober
@mosespippy: Shit, you're right, you're right I forgot about the ps1 GTA games.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Skald

Team Fortress Classic to Team Fortress 2.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#39  Edited By Little_Socrates
@GetEveryone said:
" @Ygg said:

" @GetEveryone said:

4 wasn't the best game in the series and is ultimately why the series has became what it has; a shadow of its former self.  Yeah, it was a competent action game that made good use of the perspective, but it wasn't a proper Resident Evil game or worthy of being the next entry in the series.  The gunplay in 4 and 5 is laughably bad, enemies just bounce when you hit and kill them. Please. "
There was a touch of irony to my post, but I'll bite. 

Everything about 4 was better than it had been in previous installments. I'm a massive Resi fan, but I'm not blind to its faults. The game has generally handled very poorly and had a terrible narrative. 4 tidied up a lot of this. 5, unfortunately, missed the point a bit. It tilted the axis too much; retreading almost entire scenes from 4 (e.g. escaping Salazar's Right hand - basement/escaping the Uroboros - furnace) without any of the tension and double the machismo.

I imagine most people would agree with me. 

@beeftothetaco said:
Such a great shout. Majora's Mask mixed things up in that universe so well, but it went down like liver oil. Beautiful side-missions. The collecting had a point and offered rewards, the temple design was fantastic, and the time-mechanic added a thoughtful, management dimension. Not to mention the generally fantastic atmosphere and sense of foreboding in that world. "
All of this I agree with, though I don't think Ocarina of Time was great. I think the way a player interacts with the game is good in OoT, but the combat never challenges enough to be good, the temples are mediocre, and the story is completely minimal and flavorless.
JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JuggertrainUK
@MariachiMacabre said:
"Red Dead Revolver to Red Dead Redemption. Because someone was gonna say it if I didn't. "
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By Video_Game_King

Let me calculate this....fuck it, I'll just say it was from Adventure Island III to Super Adventure Island. Doesn't "Super" imply that you've added shit to the game, not taken it away?

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Dawn of War -> Dawn of War 2

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mnzy
@KaosAngel said:
" @mnzy said:
" @KaosAngel said:
What about UT 2003? "
Doesn't exist. "
But...boost dodge!
02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By 02sfraser
@jakob187 said:
" Assassin's Creed -----> Assassin's Creed II was pretty radical in terms of quality.  A lot of the repetition was taken out, but on top of that, the storytelling was magnificently handled. "
Definitely this!
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Slaker117

AC1 to 2 was pretty significant. Don't have too much personal experience outside of this generation so I can't think of much else.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KaosAngel
@mnzy said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @mnzy said:
" @KaosAngel said:
What about UT 2003? "
Doesn't exist. "
But...boost dodge! "
YO!  That's why I fucking hated UT3, UT2k4 had those combo-powerups.  S-S-S-S REGENERATION!  W-W-W-W BOOSTER!  Fucking loved that in UT2k4, EPIC needs to bring that series back.
nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By nick_verissimo
@beeftothetaco said:
 Majora's Mask doesn't deserve a lot of the shit it gets, because I really do like that game, but dude!  Respectfully disagree.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By EuanDewar

Uncharted -> Uncharted 2.

A mediocre third person shooter barely rescued by its likable characters transformed into an intense, thrilling, Indiana Jones style epic adventure with some of the best character work in gaming as a whole wrapped in a nice multiplayer package.

Back of the net.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By beeftothetaco
@EuanDewar said:
" Uncharted -> Uncharted 2.   A mediocre third person shooter barely rescued by its likable characters transformed into an intense, thrilling, Indiana Jones style epic adventure with some of the best character work in gaming as a whole wrapped in a nice multiplayer package. "
This, although I feel like the multiplayer was a bit of a tack-on. The single player was where it was at.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mnzy
@KaosAngel said:
" @mnzy said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @mnzy said:
" @KaosAngel said:
What about UT 2003? "
Doesn't exist. "
But...boost dodge! "
YO!  That's why I fucking hated UT3, UT2k4 had those combo-powerups.  S-S-S-S REGENERATION!  W-W-W-W BOOSTER!  Fucking loved that in UT2k4, EPIC needs to bring that series back. "
No, I'm talking about that movement glitch that got removed from 2003 to 2004. Well, doesn't matter. Those were good games, but UT99 was fine, too.