• 73 results
Posted by Brad (2997 posts) -

Any of you young whippersnappers remember Serious Sam? I'm talking about Croteam's 2002 first-person game that hailed unapologetically from the "thousands of enemies running at you constantly oh god kill them NOW!" school of shooter design. If you don't, you missed out; that was a mindlessly fun, exciting game.

Well, if you did miss out on the Serious Sam games--or not, but you remember them fondly--you're in luck: Croteam and new New Jersey dev house Devolver Digital are bringing an HD-ified remake of the original game to Xbox Live Arcade this summer. Publisher Majesco released a side-by-side comparison to give you an idea of the improvements being made to the graphics here. I'll let you figure out which one is which.

I'm not usually a big fan of quoting press releases, but this one was written amusingly enough that I will give you the publisher's pitch.

Serious Sam HD is not your mother’s generic, large-scale, orchestral scored, Space Marine-themed epic FPS with dialog that pretends it’s an RPG...instead, Serious Sam HD is a grab you by the jibblies run and gun, twitch FPS: BIG guns, TONS of enemies, 4-Player Online Co-Op and stunningly superfluous HD graphics that rival retail boxed games. You've waited forever but Serious Sam is back from the nether with its award-winning game play that will remind you why you play FPSs in the first place.

Eurogamer reports the game will run 1200 Microsoft Points ($15) and that a PC version will be released later in the fall via both retail and download channels.

Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (2997 posts) -

Any of you young whippersnappers remember Serious Sam? I'm talking about Croteam's 2002 first-person game that hailed unapologetically from the "thousands of enemies running at you constantly oh god kill them NOW!" school of shooter design. If you don't, you missed out; that was a mindlessly fun, exciting game.

Well, if you did miss out on the Serious Sam games--or not, but you remember them fondly--you're in luck: Croteam and new New Jersey dev house Devolver Digital are bringing an HD-ified remake of the original game to Xbox Live Arcade this summer. Publisher Majesco released a side-by-side comparison to give you an idea of the improvements being made to the graphics here. I'll let you figure out which one is which.

I'm not usually a big fan of quoting press releases, but this one was written amusingly enough that I will give you the publisher's pitch.

Serious Sam HD is not your mother’s generic, large-scale, orchestral scored, Space Marine-themed epic FPS with dialog that pretends it’s an RPG...instead, Serious Sam HD is a grab you by the jibblies run and gun, twitch FPS: BIG guns, TONS of enemies, 4-Player Online Co-Op and stunningly superfluous HD graphics that rival retail boxed games. You've waited forever but Serious Sam is back from the nether with its award-winning game play that will remind you why you play FPSs in the first place.

Eurogamer reports the game will run 1200 Microsoft Points ($15) and that a PC version will be released later in the fall via both retail and download channels.

Staff
#2 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

I loved Serious Sam on the xbox, cant wait for this one.

#3 Posted by Lumley (956 posts) -

Serious Sam.. hmm..
I've got number 2 on the original xbox, for some reason, I hardly played on it though
It's awesome if you like BIG enemies

#4 Posted by N3onThr33 (380 posts) -

I sadly remember this game...

#5 Posted by faustyn (615 posts) -

serious sam was pretty awesome. can't wait for the xbox live arcade version ;)

#6 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -

so awesome. One of the best shooters series ever. And this is probably the best way to bring it back successfully.

#7 Edited by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

Wow Serious Sam is back! I have to buy it and support a dev from my state:)

#8 Edited by brainwins (252 posts) -

The game was frantic. I don't know how this will work with a controller. Are they gonna dial down the difficulty?

#9 Posted by Satune (477 posts) -

Yes these games are awesome at their time, I loved playing them!
 But I dont think they will do so great now, running into a room and killing hundreds of spawning enemies dosnt seem as interesting now as it did then

#10 Posted by Pie (7094 posts) -

Can i have it free?

#11 Posted by Metal_Mills (2996 posts) -

PC or bust.

#12 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

Oh Serious Sam..good times we played together. Indeed a fun game.

#13 Posted by Mijati (921 posts) -

This looks so good, can't wait for this.

A lot of good arcade games coming this summer it seems.

#14 Posted by pweidman (2333 posts) -

Serious Sam was a fun game.  I might actually get this, and hope the co-op works well.

#15 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I remember seeing these Serious Sam games in all the bargain bins of stores. Never looked like a quality game. Basically it looked like a poor mans Duke Nukem to me.

#16 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

i do remember playing this game for hours at a time, but i still dont think its worth $15

#17 Posted by SolidestChimp (155 posts) -

posted this 7 hours ago brad :P

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11714 posts) -

The press release was amusing, but I'm really not interested.

#19 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

whats funny is that there has been more serious sam than duke nukem!

#20 Posted by SuperSambo (2863 posts) -

Hell yes

#21 Posted by PositivelyGreg (72 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" I remember seeing these Serious Sam games in all the bargain bins of stores. Never looked like a quality game. Basically it looked like a poor mans Duke Nukem to me. "

That's mostly the fault of the fact that the marketing and branding is awful.  Sam looks and sounds like a Nukem-come-lately, and the name is as bad as Duke Nukem's, but the gameplay is wildly different and nail-biting intense.  This is a game that pretty much just screams at you for hours on end, throwing wave after wave of spawns at you until every gun you have is out of ammo, then it gives you a full restore of your ammo and does it again.  It's brilliant for not being almost everything that was bad about FPS design at the time - it's simple, fast-paced, vividly colorful, often takes place in huge open arenas, and it's just a total blast to play.  It's just a lot of totally intense fun, complete with exaggerated doppler effects on the positional sound. 
#22 Posted by MrMiyagi (929 posts) -

SOLD.

#23 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I heard about this remake. It sounds and looks sweet. If it is 800 to 1200 Microsoft Points, I am in.

#24 Posted by TheHBK (5480 posts) -

Wow for 2002 that game looked terrible.  That looks like it is a couple years older, like 2000.

#25 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6182 posts) -

Seriously?  Serious Sam?  Super.  Swell.  Shwing!

OK, enough.  I'm pumped.  Never really tried out the series back in the day as I was pretty tired of FPS back then.  Looking forward to giving it a go now.

#26 Posted by Mercanis (660 posts) -

Serious Sam is serious fun, and it sounds like it'll be coming out on Steam too, so I'm sold.

#27 Posted by slyspider (1225 posts) -

o god played hours in this game. i hope for online they have infinite ammo like they did.

#28 Posted by LordKorax (278 posts) -

I wonder if it will have a cheat menu. I remember an interview where one of the lead developers admitted that it was pretty much impossible to beat the game without cheating, and after playing it on PC, I have to agree.

#29 Posted by SaucySala (344 posts) -

Graphics actually don't look bad! I like the whole HDing stuff out aspect...

Now... If someone would release a Giants Citizen Kabuto HD game, PLEASE!

#30 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I'm gutted this isn't coming to PS3.

#31 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -

Yeah, eff' Duke Nukem, Serious Sam is where it's at!

#32 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Good news!

I never played the first SS, only played SS Second Encounter (which was pretty good), and SS2 demo on both Xbox and PC (both were horrible!)

#33 Posted by Vod_Crack (721 posts) -

This news made my day. I hope the Second Encounter gets remade at some point also.

#34 Posted by RiddleBrother (511 posts) -
@get2sammyb said:
" I'm gutted this isn't coming to PS3. "
probably will sometime.
#35 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

8 years after the 16-player coop PC version and they're still limiting it to 4 players on the 360?

Other than that, it looks pretty cool, I put some major hours into this game on the PC, it was awesome.  The XBox 1 version was decidedly less awesome, but it was still tolerable with all it's console based limitations.

#36 Posted by ValiantGoat (376 posts) -

I loved the original on PC back in the day, I might just get this re-release.

#37 Posted by BaconGames (3394 posts) -

yes...Yes...YES...YES!!!

I can safely say here that I've played 1350 hours of Serious Sam: The Second Encounter and possible near 100 of Serious Sam: The First Encounter over my life (i'm 17 mind you).  A graphical and compatibility upgrade for my modern PC is music to my ears.  This just made my already awesome day.  

#38 Posted by ddensel (382 posts) -
stunningly superfluous HD graphics

LOL, that was pretty good. Great news for Serious Sam lovers.
#39 Posted by Shax (12 posts) -

Um was there a more specific release date than this summer?

#40 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Krakn3Dfx said:
" 8 years after the 16-player coop PC version and they're still limiting it to 4 players on the 360?
Did the original games on PC really have 16 player coop?  I was never able to play it anyways because it was INCREDIBLY laggy, but did it ever actually work?  I think 4 players on a LAN at the time was the only real option...
#41 Edited by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

How dare Croteam put out this and charge for it, after the original has been out for only seven years! They promised continued support for the Serious Sam games with map maker and Mod support! I expect this as a free patch or I'm boycotting!

Seriously though, Serious Sam kick serious arse! I'm in!

#42 Posted by KEITH1437 (276 posts) -

Hell yeah!

#43 Posted by loneraver (10 posts) -

Serious Sam 2 sucked majorly. It's so good to see the good Serious Sam back.

My question is this. Serious Sam 1st encounter only or 1st and 2nd encounter. 2nd encounter was the high point of the SS games.

#44 Posted by Fox (19 posts) -

the original game was pretty cool, but 1200 points is way too much for this

#45 Posted by Crono (2665 posts) -

I'm a sucker for Sam.

#46 Posted by piderman (204 posts) -
@loneraver said:
" Serious Sam 2 sucked majorly. It's so good to see the good Serious Sam back. My question is this. Serious Sam 1st encounter only or 1st and 2nd encounter. 2nd encounter was the high point of the SS games. "
Well the comparison shot is from 2nd, but the other ones are from 1st as far as I can see. So I hope for both :)
#47 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

The First and Second Encounters are among the best FPS games I've ever played. Its brilliant and its just a shame people assumed just because it was cheap that it was somehow a bad game. I'll be getting this on day one.

#48 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

Hmm.  On the one hand, the visuals are certainly improved (though I find the original game's visuals to have a timeless appeal to them that makes them easy to look at today). On the other, I imagine they simply remade the games in Serious Engine 2 (though maybe SE3), and I didn't care for the feel of the physics and weapons not to mention the way enemies gibbed too easily and wackily in SS2 compared to the first game.

I'll probably get this when it comes to the PC.  If nothing else, it should help Croteam to make a sequel that actually lives up to the original game's quality this time.  It also might be a sign that Croteam recognizes how they dropped the ball with SS2 and are trying to get themselves back in the SS1 groove by just straight-up remaking it.  I can only hope.

#49 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -
@LordKorax said:
"I wonder if it will have a cheat menu. I remember an interview where one of the lead developers admitted that it was pretty much impossible to beat the game without cheating, and after playing it on PC, I have to agree."

Really?  Were you playing the hardest difficulty or something?  It's pretty manageable on the first three difficulties.
#50 Posted by Manatassi (791 posts) -
@Fox said:
" the original game was pretty cool, but 1200 points is way too much for this "
Dude couldn't disagree more, Serious Sam with that facelift is TOTALLY worth 1200.  From what is shown in the screenshots there's content from both episode 1 and 2 in there. Thats allot of content for 1200. 
Loved both parts of the first game and now I get to play it in COOP  :D

I mean what do you want for 1200?   Halo 4?

Be realistic :)