wtf it's the 24th

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cube

Way, way too much. So much for making ads "non-intrusive".

I mean yeah, the whole wiki edit was kind of okay, but come on.

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By raggedglory

Oh no, that site I visit will give me free stuff for playing a game and are telling me this via a banner I don't know notice most of the time!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

well its the 24th but that doesn't mean the contest is over...so...

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

. Once registered, go to the [sweepstakes registration page] between 12:00:01 a.m. PT on August 28, 2009 and 11:59:59 p.m. PT on October 31, 2009 (the “Submission Period”) and click on the box to enter the Sweepstakes

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cube
@WilliamRLBaker said:
"  . Once registered, go to the [sweepstakes registration page] between 12:00:01 a.m. PT on August 28, 2009 and 11:59:59 p.m. PT on October 31, 2009 (the “Submission Period”) and click on the box to enter the Sweepstakes "
Hey, I don't think you're getting the point.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Rowr

It feels past the line, for a website that was going to keep advertising non intrusive. The ODST stuff is past the point of obnoxious.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Eh, they're fine.  

I like the site.  I support the site and I have the intelligence, and enough common sense to focus on what I am reading.  Sorry you kids eat to much sugar.   

POW!!!!
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cube
@Rowr said:
" It feels past the line, for a website that was going to keep advertising non intrusive. The ODST stuff is past the point of obnoxious. "
Careful! Remember, Jeff and co. CANNOT be criticized, for they are the immaculate ones! Any hint of distaste MUST be crushed!
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By xyzygy

I really don't see the big deal. It's a game, and you can win things if you get certain achievements which this website tracks, something that not many websites do. What's the problem? It's just an ad. It's how websites make money so they can keep going, durr.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

um...how is it obstrusive?
its a small ad on the side or top of the page...only ODST area is themed....and the theme is great, its not obstrusive at all and ties into the page seamlessly.
 your just prettymuch complaining cause there are AD's not because they are obstrusive.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By asurastrike

No Caption Provided
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

Would you rather have an Evony ad? STFU.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tanuki
@Rowr said:

" It feels past the line, for a website that was going to keep advertising non intrusive. The ODST stuff is past the point of obnoxious. "

Yeah.  Exactly.  I totally don't care about adverts. I mean.  They need to advertise... obviously.  But I feel like it's ONLY been Halo.  And WAY too much of it.  I definitely feel irritated by how many ODST banners I've seen in the last 48 hours.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Red

I really don't see how this is intrusive at all. It's a neat idea. However, Jeff and Ryan's eyes do look a little bit too small, which I guess is a little intrusive.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rowr
@WilliamRLBaker said:

" um...how is it obstrusive? its a small ad on the side or top of the page...only ODST area is themed....and the theme is great, its not obstrusive at all and ties into the page seamlessly.  your just prettymuch complaining cause there are AD's not because they are obstrusive. "

It's not the one or two ads its the 20 different ones on every page and before every video, its just to much. Tying it in with the wiki turns the wiki into a tool for advertising promotion of a game, not to mention tying in the GB merch.

Recently when i view the site all i see is someone screaming ODST into my face, its not the experience i want when i'm here.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By asurastrike
@Tanuki said:
" @Rowr said:
Yeah.  Exactly.  I totally don't care about adverts. I mean.  They need the advertise... obviously.  But I feel like it's ONLY been Halo.  And WAY too much of it.  I definitely feel irritated by how many ODST banners I've seen in the last 48 hours. "
There is an Ether Saga Online ad on the page as I'm typing.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24  Edited By the8bitNacho

It's not intrusive.  It's actually well integrated into the site and thoughtfully includes the personalities we've come to know and love and associate with the great content here.  People just like to bitch.  About everything.  When they're not running ads, people are worrying and posting a new thread every 5 minutes wondering how they generate income and stay in business.  When they DO run ads, everyone complains about them.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy
@Kombat said:
" It's not intrusive.  It's actually well integrated into the site and thoughtfully includes the personalities we've come to know and love and associate with the great content here.  People just like to bitch.  About everything.  When they're not running ads, people are worrying and posting a new thread every 5 minutes wondering how they generate income and stay in business.  When they DO run ads, everyone complains about them. "
This to a T
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rowr

ok, yeh, sure, compare it to your typical internet advertising and its a minor thing, but it seems a bit much considering the way the GB crew were talking about handling advertising in the past. I dont have a problem with a little advertising and i understand its the way these things work and its good to see them advertising and making some moneys. But i was under the assumption the GB crew were going to have a strong hold in keeping it from getting to in your face and detracting from the website. Which it feels way past to me. At the point it effects the feel of the website, its too much.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cube

What'd I tell you, you can't criticize them.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By noextralife

When will all you selfish little bastards stop fucking moaning about all the advertisments, "oh noes giant bomb are making some money to help pay for all the free entertainment they offer me, burn it down, burn it down !!" it maybe a video game site but it also happens to be a business, get a dose of reality, and I don't see how banners and skins around the outside of the page are in anyway intrusive, its not like your having them pop up over articles or plastered in the middle of them.

LAMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By LAMP

Sure, the ads are shady, and the theme was gross, but the pre-video ads are a good deal worse. 

I GET IT 
BOOT CAMP SUCKS 
I JUST WANT TO WATCH THIS THING 

EDIT: Also, this sentence made me feel really, really bad. 
 "  It's actually well integrated into the site and thoughtfully includes the personalities we've come to know and love and associate with the great content here." 

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Johnny5

To be honest the image below does leave a bad taste in my mouth, but weighing up the pros and cons is no contest. Actually getting decent money into the site means better coverage on Giantbomb's part.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Diamond
@Cube said:
" What'd I tell you, you can't criticize them. "
Constructive criticism is helpful.  Some people brought up 'too many ODST ads' and maybe that's true.  For some reason the ads aren't loading on my PC at all and I haven't blocked them on purpose...
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rowr
@NoExtraLife said:

" When will all you selfish little bastards stop fucking moaning about all the advertisments, "oh noes giant bomb are making some money to help pay for all the free entertainment they offer me, burn it down, burn it down !!" it maybe a video game site but it also happens to be a business, get a dose of reality, and I don't see how banners and skins around the outside of the page are in anyway intrusive, its not like your having them pop up over articles or plastered in the middle of them. "

Smart business doesnt drive people away by pushing things too much. I've been here from day one and am very much personally invested with the welfare of the site. I feel this needs to be brought up, im sure im not the only one that feels like its over the top. The principle of whoring out the wiki from advertising and selling a game through offering your own merch for achievements that concerns me.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cube
@NoExtraLife said:
" When will all you selfish little bastards stop fucking moaning about all the advertisments, "oh noes giant bomb are making some money to help pay for all the free entertainment they offer me, burn it down, burn it down !!" it maybe a video game site but it also happens to be a business, get a dose of reality, and I don't see how banners and skins around the outside of the page are in anyway intrusive, its not like your having them pop up over articles or plastered in the middle of them. "
I think you're generalizing. Personally I can see it's a business, and I've taken that "dose" of reality, thanks. 

I think they're a bit annoying, but hey, it's business.

I just wonder if they'd do the same thing for a Sony exclusive. Probably not.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By LiquidSwords
@ArchScabby said:
"It's and ad dumbass. "

I laughed
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By asurastrike
@Cube said:
" @NoExtraLife said:
I think you're generalizing. Personally I can see it's a business, and I've taken that "dose" of reality, thanks.   I think they're a bit annoying, but hey, it's business.  I just wonder if they'd do the same thing for a Sony exclusive. Probably not. "
lol, it's a conspiracy. 

Really that is probably the most idiotic thing I've seen on these forums (recently). You think they are so biased against Sony they would refuse to put up God of War 3 ads for money?
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cube
@Asurastrike said:
" @Cube said:
" @NoExtraLife said:
I think you're generalizing. Personally I can see it's a business, and I've taken that "dose" of reality, thanks.   I think they're a bit annoying, but hey, it's business.  I just wonder if they'd do the same thing for a Sony exclusive. Probably not. "
lol, it's a conspiracy.   Really that is probably the most idiotic thing I've seen on these forums (recently). You think they are so biased against Sony they would refuse to put up God of War 3 ads for money? "
Definitely not to the extent of Halo 3: ODST.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Scooper

In the words of the great Kindergarten Cop: "STOP WHINING!"

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By dethfish
@Kombat said:
" People just like to bitch.  About everything.  When they're not running ads, people are worrying and posting a new thread every 5 minutes wondering how they generate income and stay in business.  When they DO run ads, everyone complains about them. "
Yeah, exactly. 

It is a little annoying seeing so many ODST ads since I don't care about the game but I don't think they're that intrusive. It could be worse.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By asurastrike
@Cube said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" @Cube said:
" @NoExtraLife said:
lol, it's a conspiracy.   Really that is probably the most idiotic thing I've seen on these forums (recently). You think they are so biased against Sony they would refuse to put up God of War 3 ads for money? "
Definitely not to the extent of Halo 3: ODST. "
You are right. GiantBomb hates Sony, they are totally biased and would refuse money to put ads on the site. The GiantBomb crew is so focused on seeing Sony products not sell, they would sacrifice their own salary to stop us from being aware of Sony products.

In fact, I think when GB gave inFamous, Metal gear Solid 4, KillZone 2, and LittleBigPlanet perfect 5/5 scores, they were just trying to trick us into thinking they were 360 fanboys.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rowr
@Asurastrike said:
" @Cube said:
" @NoExtraLife said:
missing the point, stay on topic.

Also, yeh i'm not missing the reality of whats happening here, i just think the issue should be raised that it feels a little much to some. Constructive critism from someone who spends alot of time on the site. The point of "Hey who cares what the site potrays, look at all the money we are getting" is what scares me. It would be nice for this website to keep some integrity and keep whats being portrayed by the website in mind over any sort of income generated from it.I would assume thats the goal of the GB team from what i know of them.
Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Druminator

Hey guys, we are ODST.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cube
@Asurastrike said:
" @Cube said:
" @Asurastrike said:
" @Cube said:
" @NoExtraLife said:
Definitely not to the extent of Halo 3: ODST. "
You are right. GiantBomb hates Sony, they are totally biased and would refuse money to put ads on the site. The GiantBomb crew is so focused on seeing Sony products not sell, they would sacrifice their own salary to stop us from being aware of Sony products. "
Oh yeah, I  bet they would put up Sony ads, I never said they wouldn't. 
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@Rowr said:
" @WilliamRLBaker said:

" um...how is it obstrusive? its a small ad on the side or top of the page...only ODST area is themed....and the theme is great, its not obstrusive at all and ties into the page seamlessly.  your just prettymuch complaining cause there are AD's not because they are obstrusive. "

It's not the one or two ads its the 20 different ones on every page and before every video, its just to much. Tying it in with the wiki turns the wiki into a tool for advertising promotion of a game, not to mention tying in the GB merch.  Recently when i view the site all i see is someone screaming ODST into my face, its not the experience i want when i'm here. "
um...im seeing 2 ad's on the pages, either an ether saga ad right now, or a ODST tshirt contest ad i'm not seeing 20 different ad's and i rarely see an ad on every video only sometimes....
your complaining about something that doesn't exist in the extreme you claim.
MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MetalR

We need some Brad and Vinny ads.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By asurastrike
@Rowr said:
" @Asurastrike said:
" @Cube said:
" @NoExtraLife said:
missing the point, stay on topic.  Also, yeh i'm not missing the reality of whats happening here, i just think the issue should be raised that it feels a little much to some. Constructive critism from someone who spends alot of time on the site. The point of "Hey who cares what the site potrays, look at all the money we are getting" is what scares me. It would be nice for this website to keep some integrity and keep whats being portrayed by the website in mind over any sort of income generated from it.I would assume thats the goal of the GB team from what i know of them. "
What is the goal of this thread? They aren't going to get rid of the ODST ads, they aren't going to change what they are doing, and most likely they aren't even going to read this thread. So basically it's as worthless as an online petition...hey, we should start one!
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rowr
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" @Rowr said:
" @WilliamRLBaker said:

It's not the one or two ads its the 20 different ones on every page and before every video, its just to much. Tying it in with the wiki turns the wiki into a tool for advertising promotion of a game, not to mention tying in the GB merch.  Recently when i view the site all i see is someone screaming ODST into my face, its not the experience i want when i'm here. "
um...im seeing 2 ad's on the pages, either an ether saga ad right now, or a ODST tshirt contest ad i'm not seeing 20 different ad's and i rarely see an ad on every video only sometimes.... your complaining about something that doesn't exist in the extreme you claim. "
I'm talking the front page also, and yeh i'm exaggerating a little. I guess i'm reffering to an overall feel. As far as the video ad, i feel like i've seen it every single time i load a video.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Druminator said:
"Hey guys, we are ODST. "
Haha. So far, this is my favorite response in the thread.
Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Valames
@Rowr said:

" @NoExtraLife said:

Smart business doesnt drive people away by pushing things too much. I've been here from day one and am very much personally invested with the welfare of the site. I feel this needs to be brought up, im sure im not the only one that feels like its over the top. The principle of whoring out the wiki from advertising and the selling a game through offering your own merch for achievements that concerns me. "
I lived with my parents from "day one." But you know what? I moved out eventually. Just because you have been around for a while doesn't mean you are the only opinion that matters. A lot of other posters on here have made some valid points that you seem to just be deflecting so that you wheel squeaks the loudest in anticipation for some sweet grease. My theory is that since they are relatively new to the ad market for their site (watch the PAX panel for more info) they have few buyers. So of course the one big buyer is going to be "up in yo face" until more come. They often attribute the success of their site to the fans, so don't be one of those guys who bring it down by trying to keep it old school. 

"You can change without growing, but you can't grow without changing."  Mmmmmmhmmmmmm
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By asurastrike

No Caption Provided
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rowr
@Asurastrike said:
" @Rowr said:
" @Asurastrike said:
" @Cube said:
" @NoExtraLife said:
missing the point, stay on topic.  Also, yeh i'm not missing the reality of whats happening here, i just think the issue should be raised that it feels a little much to some. Constructive critism from someone who spends alot of time on the site. The point of "Hey who cares what the site potrays, look at all the money we are getting" is what scares me. It would be nice for this website to keep some integrity and keep whats being portrayed by the website in mind over any sort of income generated from it.I would assume thats the goal of the GB team from what i know of them. "
What is the goal of this thread? They aren't going to get rid of the ODST ads, they aren't going to change what they are doing, and most likely they aren't even going to read this thread. So basically it's as worthless as an online petition...hey, we should start one! "
Awareness. 

The staff do take some note of the forums.