#1 Edited by cbk486 (182 posts) -

UPDATE: I guess this has to do with video coverage.

Full disclosure: saw this on reddit.com/r/games & stole the post

Both Tweeted the same thing at around the same time. At first, people assumed it had to do with the recent "reveal" that Xbox One versions of multiplats run at lower resolutions than their PS4 counterparts, and that Microsoft embargoed X1 games due to fear of websites making comparison videos. Although this is true, Adam and Arthur stated that it wasn't the reason why they Tweeted such things.

...The only question now is...what the hell could be so bad?

UPDATE - Marcus Beer (from GT) says "it's not Xbox"

This has to be pretty fucking bad if the Sess is really worried. Is a major publisher shutting down?

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4416 posts) -

What am I supposed to be looking at here? This is more annoying vague bullshit.

#3 Edited by cbk486 (182 posts) -

@colourful_hippie:

I agree that it's annoyingly vague, but this is Adam Sessler. He's a journalist that I (and many others) respect. If he's this stressed out about something - then I am too.

#4 Edited by development (2426 posts) -

The Ouya 2 is cancelled.

I'm here if anyone needs a shoulder to cry on.

#5 Edited by cbk486 (182 posts) -
#6 Posted by Draxyle (1874 posts) -

It's annoyingly vague for sure, though I do wonder what could make Sessler speak in such a dire manner; almost as if it's effecting him personally. Can't be something as petty as system performance.

I imagine it's something that prevents journalists from doing their proper jobs, but it's impossible to say.

#7 Posted by Elwoodan (837 posts) -

I assumed that something bad was happening at Rev3, I hope not as they have been putting out some really great content.

#8 Edited by BigJeffrey (5074 posts) -

we need a press sneak fuck to break the breaking news story with some intercepted emails

#9 Edited by EXTomar (4837 posts) -

I am getting that vibe that it is Rev3 that is in trouble. And that is a shame for that particular group since the console launches are almost here and would have been a traffic bonanza for them.

#10 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1444 posts) -

Video games are over.....pack it up and get the fuck out

#11 Posted by Krullban (1042 posts) -

The Mayans predicted this.

#12 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

What am I supposed to be looking at here? This is more annoying vague bullshit.

I agree, Kind of annoying specially that Gies twit... JOURNALIST if you gonna say something, fucking say something.. there is a zillion twitter account for vague pointless shit.

#13 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

This is why Twitter is fucking stupid.

Assholes tweeting super vague shit they're not really allowed to clarify so it snowballs into a huge deal and then turns out to be nothing. It'll probably be something lame like AC4 not being very good or some other game kinda sucking. Whatever.

#14 Posted by TheHT (11507 posts) -

HEY GUYS WATCH OUT.

why?

SOMETHING TERRIBLE.

well, what is it?

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK.

so what the heck is it?

I CAN'T SAY.

so why fucking bring it up?

OMG PERSONAL TWITTER GTFO.

fuck you.

WHEN SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS JUST REMEMBER I WARNED YOU.

#15 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4233 posts) -

I did actually hear that Adam is gonna being in a big role on the new Tekzilla. So, well now that makes sense.

#16 Edited by cbk486 (182 posts) -

@extomar:

Judging from this tweet, I think Rev3 / his employment status is secure.

#17 Edited by LeYcH (216 posts) -

Jesus. If you can't say what it is then don't bring it up.

#18 Posted by BeachThunder (12087 posts) -

#19 Edited by EXTomar (4837 posts) -

We will have to see. Traditionally layoffs happen on Friday where people can often be caught by surprise. Failing that it might not be his job but another well known company is being shuttered which still has me worried since, like mentioned before, a new console launch is almost here and that always picks up the excitement.

Edit: Reading the two Tweets together has me more worried about Sessler's position not less. :/

#20 Posted by Nubikal (107 posts) -

#21 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -

WHATS HAPPENING???!!!

#22 Posted by Chaser324 (6647 posts) -

I really hate this "I know something you don't know" stuff that some video game press people tweet out. The fact that it's bad news, and possibly some very bad news, makes it worse. I'd rather be excited about an upcoming surprise instead of dreading something awful.

#23 Edited by Draxyle (1874 posts) -
@nubikal said:

Well that narrows it down slightly. I imagine someone is being super dumb about copyright claims, which has been all the rage these last couple months.

#24 Posted by cbk486 (182 posts) -

@nubikal:

Holy shit. Many people are speculating that the "bad news" has to do with game company's no longer allowing websites to use game footage in their coverage due to monetization issues. If that is the case, that also has massive implications for Giant Bomb.

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@extomar said:

We will have to see. Traditionally layoffs happen on Friday where people can often be caught by surprise. Failing that it might not be his job but another well known company is being shuttered which still has me worried since, like mentioned before, a new console launch is almost here and that always picks up the excitement.

Edit: Reading the two Tweets together has me more worried about Sessler's position not less. :/

If he gets fired I am 90% sure someone else will grab him.

#26 Edited by JayEH (535 posts) -

There's Gies tweeting stuff he can't talk about again. He really likes doing that,huh?

As for Adam, he shouldn't be tweeting about whatever is happening if he's not going to say what's wrong.

#27 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

This is non-news until they stop beating around the bush and just say what's up.

#28 Posted by DriveupLife (918 posts) -

what's le going on?

#29 Edited by BigJeffrey (5074 posts) -

what's Up with ThE Sess?

#30 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@cbk486 said:

@nubikal:

Holy shit. Many people are speculating that the "bad news" has to do with game company's no longer allowing websites to use game footage in their coverage due to monetization issues. If that is the case, that also has massive implications for Giant Bomb.

Wouldnt that also fuck youtube and twitch? Why bother to allow twtich streaming if you are not gonna allow money off it some where down the road?

#31 Posted by BigJeffrey (5074 posts) -

#32 Posted by flasaltine (1682 posts) -

They need to stop it with this shit. Keep your mouth closed or tell us what is going on.

#33 Posted by Chaser324 (6647 posts) -

Oh shit! Is this really going to be some sort of major lockdown on footage of games? That has some pretty massive implications on a lot of people.

#34 Edited by StarvingGamer (8370 posts) -

@cbk486: I dunno, then what the fuck is the point of Twitch integration in the new consoles.

#35 Edited by Brodehouse (10067 posts) -

And coming up next, is there a common everyday item in your house right now... that could kill you?! Stay tuned to hear more.

#36 Posted by EXTomar (4837 posts) -

Well Sony hasn't had any major screw ups recently. Maybe they are due to pull something terribad?

#37 Posted by aurahack (2278 posts) -

I keep seeing people throw the words "Capcom being shutdown" in relation to this and... well, I don't know.

Whatever this is, Sess being all bothered by it has me worried. As if we need any more bad news this year. :(

#38 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Oh shit! Is this really going to be some sort of major lockdown on footage of games? That has some pretty massive implications on a lot of people.

I heard something earlier that certain sites had the rights for Show Forza 5 footage while others had it for Ryse.

#39 Posted by Fluttercry (201 posts) -

looks like that thing about restriction on footage is true. oh fuck

#40 Edited by Chaser324 (6647 posts) -

Looking around Twitter a bit, and it seems like this may have something to do with some particular editor/writer getting fired due to violating some publisher restrictions or NDA. Total speculation, but add that to the list of possibilities.

#42 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3558 posts) -

Jeff just posted something on his Tumblr account I guess regarding some of the stuff swirling around out there. Doesn't sound too worried or he might just be out of the loop.

#43 Posted by cbk486 (182 posts) -

@i_stay_puft:

I assume he'd be the first to know if it was an issue with video content rights. I mean - it's his livelihood.

#44 Edited by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

I'm going to guess someone's been given a major timed exclusive on ps4 launch coverage.

#45 Posted by JayEH (535 posts) -

Not going to lie, I think this may end up being something really trivial like IGN has 24 hour exclusive coverage for the PS4/XONE. Nothing that will "shake up the industry".

#46 Posted by Capum15 (4923 posts) -

And coming up next, is there a common everyday item in your house right now... that could kill you?! Stay tuned to hear more.

And stay tuned until we're back from these next 5 commercial breaks. And then tell you "don't drink bleach" before giving you double middle fingers and moonwalking off camera.

I always hate that "<Deadly Thing, maybe?> Tune in at 10!" crap.

#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
#48 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1169 posts) -

Oh man.... I usually don't care when a random journalist posts something like that, but Sessler's words carry a lot of weight in my book...

#49 Posted by JayEH (535 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: one website must have exclusive launch coverage, nothing to be worked up about honestly

#50 Posted by Chaser324 (6647 posts) -

@jayeh said:

Not going to lie, I think this may end up being something really trivial like IGN has 24 hour exclusive coverage for the PS4/XONE. Nothing that will "shake up the industry".

Yeah, I think it must have something to do with launch hardware/software distribution and some sites feeling a bit cheated out of the opportunity to properly provide launch coverage. Something which probably means that they'll lose out on a lot of hits that will be going to other sites.