Sessler & co. tweet about "bad news" concerning the industry

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

It's nice of certain people in the press to get vocally upset about something when it affects them.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By cbk486

@chaser324:

GB, now featuring exclusive coverage of all PS4 and XB1 games one week ahead of launch.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Rafaelfc

GB will not be covering next gen, they will be in fact doing quicklooks for the entire 3do, turbografx, sega cd and dreamcast libraries.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@rafaelfc said:

GB will not be covering next gen, they will be in fact doing quicklooks for the entire 3do, turbografx, sega cd and dreamcast libraries.

Looks like GB got the good end of this deal.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can anyone have these types of exclusives? I guess if it is before launch. Once the product is out it is fair game for anybody right?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By bacongames

@chaser324 said:

@jayeh said:

Not going to lie, I think this may end up being something really trivial like IGN has 24 hour exclusive coverage for the PS4/XONE. Nothing that will "shake up the industry".

Yeah, I think it must have something to do with launch hardware/software distribution and some sites feeling a bit cheated out of the opportunity to properly provide launch coverage. Something which probably means that they'll lose out on a lot of hits that will be going to other sites.

Let's not forget that console launches are huge for game sites and that it's also a matter of principle and editorial content is that much more of a problem. This is also why certain people are worried/bullish on this while others are not. Still, there was already enough tension when sites like IGN get anything arbitrarily exclusive to all other outlets and anything like that again is not good for such a pivotal moment in games.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rafaelfc said:

To be honest that sounds way better.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

this would be better than covering next gen.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87628981&postcount=1056

I am 100% sure that Microsoft will get a ton more coverage than Sony. There is no conspiracy theory here, the simple truth is that Sony are providing one debug unit to one video outlet in North America (I don’t know about the rest of the world) and only a select few “wordy/written/text” based outlets.

And before the question is asked, I don’t actually know why Sony doesn’t want established video outlets to have access to video footage of their console before or after launch. It has never been done before.

In my mind this is a huge mistake and I seriously doubt that, that decision was made in SCEA, but rather at the HQ in Japan. The folks over there need to settle down and have a box of juice or something, because as someone that develops games, I want to get in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

I don’t know the reason behind this, but I do know that it is like giving Xbox a free advertisement on every 3rd party game review until Sony completes their inevitable…../Drum Roll 180.

The other reason behind this is that until Sony allows video capture with unrestricted HDCP, reviewers won’t actually be able to review third party games on the PS4 as they will want to do post production.

That said, Sony are not stupid, they have already said that they will remove the HDCP restrictions –to paraphrase “We get it, you want this and we will resolve this issue after launch”.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Can someone please tell me when I should start running down the street screaming? Do I keep my clothes on while I do this? I need more vague tweets!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Oh no! Is the Homestar Runner crossover game with Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire cancelled!?

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin:

Shirt on, pants off, hats optional. Go forth young one.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

Can someone please tell me when I should start running down the street screaming? Do I keep my clothes on while I do this? I need more vague tweets!

more vague tweets?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87628981&postcount=1056

I am 100% sure that Microsoft will get a ton more coverage than Sony. There is no conspiracy theory here, the simple truth is that Sony are providing one debug unit to one video outlet in North America (I don’t know about the rest of the world) and only a select few “wordy/written/text” based outlets.

And before the question is asked, I don’t actually know why Sony doesn’t want established video outlets to have access to video footage of their console before or after launch. It has never been done before.

In my mind this is a huge mistake and I seriously doubt that, that decision was made in SCEA, but rather at the HQ in Japan. The folks over there need to settle down and have a box of juice or something, because as someone that develops games, I want to get in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

I don’t know the reason behind this, but I do know that it is like giving Xbox a free advertisement on every 3rd party game review until Sony completes their inevitable…../Drum Roll 180.

The other reason behind this is that until Sony allows video capture with unrestricted HDCP, reviewers won’t actually be able to review third party games on the PS4 as they will want to do post production.

That said, Sony are not stupid, they have already said that they will remove the HDCP restrictions –to paraphrase “We get it, you want this and we will resolve this issue after launch”.

Wait...am I reading that...Sony is only sending out one review unit? And heavily compromising footage used?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#68  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@bigjeffrey: Pretty sure that tweet is just a random reference to something in The Stanley Parable.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Elwoodan

So, my guess is something with monetization of youtube content. youtube-only coverage is still a smallish group of people.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

Not today. Yes. All will be revealed. At a point in time. Probably.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

My guess it has more to do with Game Journalism than Video Games themselves. The Console makers seem to want to kill gaming news sites or bypass them directly.

but crap, this sucks. Why say anything at all? Just leads to some dark speculation that probably helps no one

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By audiosnow
Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"It is about making balanced coverage of a console launch damn near impossible though."

-AnnoyedGamer

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It is about making balanced coverage of a console launch damn near impossible though."

-AnnoyedGamer

That seems to work with what Dent said on Gaf.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By cbk486

???

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By TruthTellah

@elwoodan said:

So, my guess is something with monetization of youtube content.

Game commentators are no longer allowed to talk about anything beside the game mechanics. Opinions on non-gameplay elements are disallowed in the next gen.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I have to imagine this is a situation in which said company decided to fuck over Adam and a few others in a specific way and Adam feels personally affected because if they can just do that, why put up with it and why comply? A dude like that would not tolerate being rolled over and I'm sure this is him dealing with that as we speak. I'm sure this will get proper news story coverage soon, assuming that he's also not forced to sign some shitty NDA on top of all this.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sessler sounds pitiful at this point.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elwoodan said:

Game commentators are no longer allowed to talk about anything beside the game mechanics. Opinions on non-gameplay elements are disallowed in the next gen.

so no screaming when the art or a character model scares you? LPs are dead!

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By flasaltine

Seems like Sony is fucking themselves. They said it is not Xbox related so...

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like Sony is fucking themselves. They said it is not Xbox related so...

Ok here is the intresting parts

eveloper costs using a smallish studio as an example:

Xbox One Dev Kits 10 X $500.00= $5,000.00

Sony PS4 Dev kits 10X $2,500.00= $25,000.00

In the meantime, any blogger, youtuber or video reviewer will be able to slap an Elgato capture card on their Xbox One and do their reviews on the Xbox SKU.

Hence, free ad’s

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

HEY GUYS WATCH OUT.

why?

SOMETHING TERRIBLE.

well, what is it?

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK.

so what the heck is it?

I CAN'T SAY.

so why fucking bring it up?

OMG PERSONAL TWITTER GTFO.

fuck you.

WHEN SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS JUST REMEMBER I WARNED YOU.

I do appreciate the bit of exposure I have had recently of A. Sessler, but this wraps it up nicely. I hate the old run around in circles . Even if it does truly portend.

In fact, that is what makes it bad. Then worse. Then f**ing terrible and life altering!

DAMN!!!!!!!

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless I am totally reading them wrong, the stuff Dent mentioned can't be the same stuff Sessler is freaking out about, right? If what Dent says is true, that would be an annoyance for press stuff before launch, but nowhere near enough to consider "new professional avenues." Unless I'm totally misreading/misunderstanding all this stuff.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

You guys this means Jeff's video reviews can be "sweded" footage like Be Kind Rewind! They said the reason they don't do more video reviews is cause capturing footage is so time consuming!

Jeff practically video reviewed Shenmue that way with that crossing the street/I'm thirsty Build a Bomb video.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By TruthTellah

@elwoodan said:
@truthtellah said:

@elwoodan said:

Human emotions are not next gen.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Elwoodan

@elwoodan said:
@truthtellah said:

@elwoodan said:

Humans are not next gen. there is only the One.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I wish I had that streak of animalistic, tribal fandom in me, then maybe I could better understand NeoGaf shit.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elwoodan said:

@truthtellah said:

@elwoodan said:
@truthtellah said:

@elwoodan said:

Humans are not next gen. there is only the One.

We are video game.

Avatar image for commencefailure
CommenceFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope scoops is on the case.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By artelinarose

Likely has to do with Youtube-centric review groups/sites. I'm guessing they're pulling a no monetizing copyrighted footage thing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Rev3 has been awesome and I want Sess and Tara and intern Nick to be alright.

But if not, I guess Max chose a good time to bail.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I had that streak of animalistic, tribal fandom in me, then maybe I could better understand NeoGaf shit.

Search your feelings, duder. The streak of tribal fandom was inside you all along.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine this has anything to do with posting video footage online, both consoles have Twitch integration built in. The exclusive coverage notion makes sense to me though, in which case I guess I won't learn anything until it's on GB. As long as it doesn't effect GB I don't really care. The rest of video game journalism can burn.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine this has anything to do with posting video footage online, both consoles have Twitch integration built in. The exclusive coverage notion makes sense to me though, in which case I guess I won't learn anything until it's on GB. As long as it doesn't effect GB I don't really care. The rest of video game journalism can burn.

It looks like Sony is being super strict on what happens with their launch stuff.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, if you hate being vague, maybe don't be really fucking vague and doomsday to your relatively large number of followers?