Sessler's latest soapbox

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By suneku

Adam's latest soapbox was pretty interesting. He talks about the difficulties of reviewing a game vs a movie, talks about how review scores will cause people to miss innovative games, and also talks about how he likes the 5 star rating system and why, which is exactly how GB's 5 star system is set up.

heres the link if the embed isnt working

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Pibo47

I love sessler. He is the man.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Adam deserves a better place to work than G4...

Anyway, I agree with him. Games are not films! One of the truest statements ever!  It's great to know he hates scores, too. I wish we could get rid of scores in all game reviews, but that will never happen... At least not anytime soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

brukaoru said:
"Adam deserves a better place to work than G4...

Anyway, I agree with him. Games are not films! One of the truest statements ever!  It's great to know he hates scores, too. I wish we could get rid of scores in all game reviews, but that will never happen... At least not anytime soon."
A better place than G4?  I'm not saying G4 is the paramount gaming journalism outlet, but it's television.  I'd be totally cool with that.  Barring webcomics and/or review controversies, video game commentators generally don't get Sessler's level of notoriety. 
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"A better place than G4?  I'm not saying G4 is the paramount gaming journalism outlet, but it's television.  I'd be totally cool with that.  Barring webcomics and/or review controversies, video game commentators generally don't get Sessler's level of notoriety. "
I agree, but G4 has so much corporate bullcrap and has gone through so many ups and downs, I'd think he would be happier somewhere else. That's just my personal thoughts on it though. I don't know him personally, so I wouldn't know how he really feels, but I'm sure he's not happy with the direction the network has taken over the years.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

After sitting down to actually watch this video, I really, really fucking agree with Sessler. 

I mean, shit yes.  That is all.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By thordain

That...was really good. I have to say that I watched X-play for a little while back when it was stupid, when all they were trying to do was crack jokes. Bu this Soapbox really let me know that this guy is a real reviewer and can take things seriously. I have a bit more respect for him after all this.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Jayge_

Adam Sessler is an amazing man doing the work of a monkey at the zoo.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By hungrynun

Special guest on the bombcast?

Wouldn't that be something.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

It was nice to hear Adams view on the subject. I totally agree with him, but I do think, like movies, there can be a cult classic in video games, this takes time and word of mouth.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24
Thordain said:
"That...was really good. I have to say that I watched X-play for a little while back when it was stupid, when all they were trying to do was crack jokes. Bu this Soapbox really let me know that this guy is a real reviewer and can take things seriously. I have a bit more respect for him after all this."
Yep, me too.  I occasionally watch X-Play and G4, and Adam is the only guy there that honestly knows what he is talking about.  The views he expresses here are so true:  games are not movies, and they shouldn't be compared as such.  Well done Adam, an excellent rant and I also agree with your hatred of number scores.

hungrynun said:
"Special guest on the bombcast?

Wouldn't that be something."

Yes, yes it would. I will hope too :)
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive

sessler is cool but sometimes he's annoying, like when he bitched about how offensive resident 5 initially looked. 

anyways. just one thing to point out that he said. 
many movies definitely become harder to watch, in a way. the plots thicken usually and become more complicated as they go, therefore you cannot simply jump into a movie like, lets say, Fight Club and have a single fucking clue as to what is going on unless you watch it from the very beginning and then watch over again.

also anyone else notice that this was like one giant run on sentence, he's a big time rambler. 
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422

Sessler is awesome, it would definitely be great if he ever went somewhere that wasn't run the way G4 is. If someone just watches X-Play now, and never sees his opinions elsewhere, the initial thought of him is just like it appears on screen where everything is read from a teleprompter, like he honestly knows nothing. Its definitely a bummer.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By KamasamaK

Good one. People should check out some of his other Soapboxes too.

TwoOneFive
said:

"sessler is cool but sometimes he's annoying, like when he bitched about how offensive resident 5 initially looked. 
anyways. just one thing to point out that he said. 
many movies definitely become harder to watch, in a way. the plots thicken usually and become more complicated as they go, therefore you cannot simply jump into a movie like, lets say, Fight Club and have a single fucking clue as to what is going on unless you watch it from the very beginning and then watch over again.

also anyone else notice that this was like one giant run on sentence, he's a big time rambler. 
"
Yes, he's quite the rambler. And for a second there I thought you were talking about your own comment, which appears to be a run-on due to the lack of capitalization.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Willy105

Adam Sessler is a genius and a fantastic reviewer.

He needs to get out of G4 and go to someplace worthy of his opinions.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By suneku

Yeah Adam definitely knows his stuff, watching his soapboxes are way better then x-play since you pretty much get his uncensored thoughts.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By kush

Just got around to watching this now...I enjoyed it quite a bit, I always like watching his Soapboxes since (like you mentioned) we get his uncensored thoughts pretty much.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Chummy8

The Sess is an intelligent and eloquent man.  Good representive of the gaming community and I tend to agree with many of his views about the industry.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pweidman

Refreshing honesty from a paid videogame reviewer.  Sessler's soapboxes are far more entertaining, and interesting than anything else on his tv show.  He was so right on about the pervasive mentality of either a game's great or it sucks.   Too many games get misrepresented and underappreciated because of this phenomenon imo.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By logson
suneku said:
"he likes the 5 star rating system and why, which is exactly how GB's 5 star system is set up."
He prefers a 5-star system to higher numerals of ambiguity, because it's closer to not having a rating system.

I thought the most interesting part of this soapbox was the idea that though the majority of video game critics seem to hate putting numbers/letters/stars on games, every subsequent review released is perpetuating the act. Now, he doesn't offer a solution, but I think that's a conversation that should be had. How the hell can critics remove numbers from reviews after decades of the two being married?

I think the answer as of today is that we're going to have to wait for a strong market of people willing to actually read reviews. Think about Giant Bomb's beginnings: The editorial department, if not more, is ENTIRELY run by 4 friends, at least one of which having serious clout in the video game critic scene. What better an opportunity to break the mold and detach numbers from reviews? I'm sure the idea crossed Jeff's mind, but I'm just as sure that he realized soon thereafter that it was too risky a venture. Convincing advertisers to advertise, convincing developers to send their games early, convincing publishers to send event invitations...all of these needs of a website about video games would be up in the air.

What do you  guys think?