Shadowrun Returns is the most important game this year

• 52 results
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think there is something to be said for it's consistent use of informative text that is "just long enough". I am sure they could have put a lot more text and back story to everything and everyone (just look at your example Skyrim). But personally, that's a chore at some point. I think Shadowrun is giving just enough context to create a scene and your imagination fills in the gap. However, I don't necessarily agree it's better than something like Uncharted that manages to create story by simply having characters make facial expressions to convey how they're reacting. There is value in Shadowrun style information, but I think you're underestimating the power of expression.

Just look at the old silent films of the 20s and 30s. Very little of the story is conveyed in text. Most of it is conveyed in exaggerated forms of expression and surrounding set building. In a way, Shadowrun and games like it are the polar opposite of that. It gives you very little expression and uses text to make you fill in those expressions instead. I think both are valid ways to approach the subject of enriching a game world in some capacity.

Also, regarding smell and such, a lot of games that takes place in a real world sort of place also has some implied scents and tastes because they look similar to us. If I'm walking in a game where it looks run down and dirty, I'll assume it doesn't smell like roses. The game doesn't need to tell me it smells like gasoline, rust, garbage and urine. It's visually implied.

That being said, I fraggin love the game.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

OP makes some good points, but (even though I haven't personally played the game) "the most important game this year" is quite an exaggeration. There were many other interesting games that came out this year, and we are barely halfway through the year. Maybe Beyond: Two Souls will blow all our minds when it comes out, who knows. If anything, Shadowrun Returns shows that the old RPG format can still work now. Whether that's the most important thing this year or not, I don't know. It's too early to judge. There are a few other games like it already under production before the Kickstarter even came up.

I do think it's worth thinking whether video games have something to gain from being more like books (like visual novels and old RPG's are) than movies. While games like Shadowrun Returns and Planescape: Torment benefit from using a lot of text, games like Hotline Miami benefit from being visual (more movie-like). There are also games like Starseed Pilgrim and Monaco, which don't go as far either way and are worth playing mostly because of their game mechanics.