• 105 results
#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2986 posts) -
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/15/zelda-sold-well-in-june-child-of-eden-and-shadows-of-the-damned/

Meanwhile, two games weirder than Zelda attracted far more exclusive audiences. Child of Eden, the NPD told Joystiq, sold approximately 34,000 units in its debut month, ranking at number 83. At the same time, Shadows of the Damned managed to sell 24,000 copies, combined, on PS3 and Xbox 360. Damn.

Holy shit. Those are abysmal numbers for both games. Shadows of the damned looked pretty cool too.
#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

Some marketing would have helped Shadows of the Dammed.

#3 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

Some content would have helped Child of Eden

#4 Posted by Metal_Mills (2986 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
And a decent name and a decent cover.
#5 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned looks really cool. What's more depressing though is that Duke Nukem Forever sold more than both of those games combined.

#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -
@natetodamax said:

Shadows of the Damned looks really cool. What's more depressing though is that Duke Nukem Forever sold more than both of those games combined.

That is sad, but then again Duke Nukem had marketing and those games didn't.
#7 Posted by Toxin066 (3271 posts) -

@natetodamax said:

I can name 10 people who bought Duke solely for owning a part of gaming history/as a joke. That might have inflated the numbers.

@Surkov said:

Some content would have helped Child of Eden

BOOM!

#8 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

@Toxin066: I considered buying it for that very reason but then decided that I didn't want to pay $60 for a piece of garbage, no matter how legendary.

#9 Edited by coakroach (2490 posts) -

I wont buy either until they reach the bargain bin. 
Sorry.

#10 Posted by supermike6 (3556 posts) -

I bought Shadows of the Damned yesterday. Such a shame that it sold so poorly; that game is awesome.

#11 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

I blame myself for the poor sales of SotD. Please don't kill me Suda and Shinji!

#12 Posted by AuthenticM (3706 posts) -

I did my part by purchasing Shadows of the Damned.

#13 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned looked like a budget title that had mistakenly been marked as full price. 

Additional - Also, as a games retailer, when I asked customers about Shadows of the Damned, they all said they avoided it after reading Edge's honest review on it....which shocked me because I didn't know my customers were swayed easily by that sort of thing (I work in Asda's entertainment section for the record) Edge is really popular over here though (Scotland)

As for Child of Eden. LOL Kinnect.

#14 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

What makes this more sad is the fact that Duke Nukem came in 2nd. A game that was universally paned by just about everyone.

#15 Posted by SomeJerk (3204 posts) -

I bought Duke Forever because I had a "guess the release-date" competition in 2004 and found the winner after all those years. Also Duke is #1 on the list, it's obvious that the digital sales took it past LA "play through once, achievement-hunt if so inclined, sell, realize it should have been a rental instead" Noire.

#16 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I guess Suda can't blame the Wii for this one...

#17 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

I'm just waiting for a Shadows of the Damned price drop. I have a £25 amazon voucher so...

#18 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

NPD number are never really accurate, but I figured the game wouldn't sell great. No one has even heard of this game aside from the hardcore gamers and Suda/Mikami fans. EA didn't market this one well.

#19 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I'm not surprised Child of Eden hasn't sold well, I know the cost/length argument is played out but I really think a lot of people aren't ready to spend full price on a 2 hour game, or however long it is.

I know nothing about Shadows of the Damned.

#20 Posted by Shirogane (3567 posts) -

Oh hey, Shadows of the Damned is actually out here(Australia). Good job marketing department, i had no clue.
#21 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Say what you want about Duke reaching #2, at least it was something a little different.

Meanwhile, games like Medal of Honor (the bad reboot) are selling in the millions.

That's the real problem.

#22 Edited by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

I have a feeling it (SotD) may pick up significantly through word-of-mouth down the line, when those 24K (me included) begin spouting how pretty awesome it is, and how it deserves a lil love! And revenue.

#23 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Those ignoble sales figures are kinda harsh for both games, I think. CoE had it coming; It's short, lacks substance and is overpriced. Kinect enabled or not. SotD was an enjoyable ride. It's over the top, overtly sexually themed and just overal weird and twisted. Definitely not a game for everyone. Hence the poor sales. But again, both games deserved better.
#24 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Don't get why they didn't market SotD. It certainly isn't for everyone, but it has an audience. The way they treated it, it seemed like they had no confidence it would even run properly. The game is plenty competent, if they pushed it just a little those numbers could have been much better.

#25 Posted by Zacagawea (1588 posts) -

Made 1.5 million....Doesn't seem that bad considering marketing costed zero dollars 

#26 Posted by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

An actual title could have helped Shadows of the Damned: Unleashed Storm Rising. 

Seriously though, I can't say I'm too sad for Eden, as it's pretty much Rez and the only reason it would stand out is because it's one of the only reasons for the non-casual gamer to use the Kinect. 

I'm a little more sad for Shadows of the Damned because it looks legitimately unique and fun. Apparently still not a particularly compelling game though. I guess I can't say much about either game since I played neither.

#27 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

SotD is a great game. It's just the world that's retarded.

#28 Posted by TanoPrime (180 posts) -

I'll grab it on a price drop if gamefly doesn't send it to me first.
#29 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

That's what you get for not releasing it for PC.

#30 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

That's what you get for not releasing it for PC.

That would have made me buy a copy as I'm away from my 360/PS3 right now but, even then, rarely those a multiplatform game on PC sell an equal amount of copies when compared t the consoles. Doubt it would have even double those figures.

#31 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned and Alice not selling were all EA's fault. I saw zero advertising be it on a site, TV or magazine. I was reminded that they came out from the Best Buy flyer that came to my house. I bought Alice:Madness Returns and while not a perfect game it's a shame it did not sell better.

#32 Posted by Hailinel (24284 posts) -

@RE_Player92 said:

Shadows of the Damned and Alice not selling were all EA's fault. I saw zero advertising be it on a site, TV or magazine. I was reminded that they came out from the Best Buy flyer that came to my house. I bought Alice:Madness Returns and while not a perfect game it's a shame it did not sell better.

This. For all the talk about the EA Partners program, EA has proven to be a rather shitty partner when it comes to supporting the actual release of these games.

#33 Posted by Khann (2819 posts) -

Are these worldwide numbers, or US only? I imagine both titles would have more of an appeal in Japan.

#34 Posted by Tebbit (4457 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

Any marketing at all would have helped. Those trailers don't count!

#35 Edited by Hailinel (24284 posts) -

@Khann said:

Are these worldwide numbers, or US only? I imagine both titles would have more of an appeal in Japan.

These are NPD sales numbers, which mean North America only.

Also, the games won't necessarily do better in Japan. No More Heroes absolutely tanked over there.

#36 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
cant help but think the EA partners dropped the ball on this one, they literally did nothing to promote this game.
#37 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
@JJOR64 said:
And a decent name and a decent cover.

I definitely agree. This game as such a lame name and cover.
#38 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2684 posts) -

Bought Shadows the day it came out. Haven't played it yet though.

#39 Posted by tourgen (4461 posts) -

Child of Eden just didn't look fun and the FMV looked silly. Shadow of the Damned looked maybe fun but not worth $60. The planet is awash in linear third person shooters. Seriously I have to hose them off my doorstep every morning. I'm not paying $60 for one. Didn't buy Duke either for obvious reasons. Luckily I've had MK and a few older games to play during this console dry spell.

#40 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

This is why we can't have nice things...

#41 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

Well here in Australia, Shadows of the Damned's problem was that it cost too damn much. I loved the game, but it'd be hard to convince people to spend more than they spent on AAA titles on a game with a title like that, haha.

#42 Posted by Branthog (7476 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/15/zelda-sold-well-in-june-child-of-eden-and-shadows-of-the-damned/

Meanwhile, two games weirder than Zelda attracted far more exclusive audiences. Child of Eden, the NPD told Joystiq, sold approximately 34,000 units in its debut month, ranking at number 83. At the same time, Shadows of the Damned managed to sell 24,000 copies, combined, on PS3 and Xbox 360. Damn.

Holy shit. Those are abysmal numbers for both games. Shadows of the damned looked pretty cool too.

They both seem terrible, but at least Shadows of the Damned seemed to have the mentality of a 15 year old boy compared to the Duke Nukem Forever mentality of a thirteen year old boy.

#43 Posted by OneManX (1685 posts) -

If no one knows your gme is coming out, or even out... they wont buy it.

Marketing... Catch It!

#44 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned was destined to be a cult game because the marketing was non-existant. Hope the team continues to make games though, because I thought it was great.

#45 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

SOTD got like zero marketing. You do that, as a publisher, then act surprised that the game you made no effort to advertize sinks. Its like making a blockbuster movie and not even making a trailer for it. Game publishers are fucking dumb.

#46 Posted by Godak (166 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned? 

I have no interest.

Shadows of the Damned: The Tale of Garcia Hotspur - The Hotspur Chronicles, Part One? 

Take my money.

#47 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

As much as I'd like to support stuff like Shadows of the Damned, it's just not 'Full Price' material. It's a bargain bin value. At best. I usually just end up offended by myself spending time on something that I enjoy less than other games in my library. I'd rather play more of those.

#48 Posted by PenguinDust (12483 posts) -

The same thing happened to Enslaved: Odyssey of the West when it first arrived.  I think it sold something like 40,000 units it's first month.  It was quickly reduced in price and has become somewhat of a cult hit.  The same might happen to Shadow of the Damned.   

However it's another sign that gamers don't really want something new.  They want what is familiar and comfortable. 

#49 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@PenguinDust: Or, publishers cynically assume that so they don't put any merketing behind fresh ideas. That way fresh ideas fail, and they've justified why they only make first person shooter lego games now, or whatever.
#50 Posted by me3639 (1748 posts) -

I think word of mouth will help SOTD.