#1 Posted by laserbolts (5337 posts) -

So I'm not usually one to complain about eb games or GameStop because I have never had a problem with them, until today. So I wanted to blow some stuff up so I grabbed a copy of red faction Armageddon. They had some used copies there for 15 bucks and I never buy games new at eb since they are never actually new. So I go to check in and the dude says he can't sell me this used copy because new ones were on sale for 20. I found this strange but I'm not one to make a big deal out of 5 bucks so I told him I'll grab a new copy. Lo and behold he brings out an already unwrapped copy and I walk out of the store not really understanding what just happened. So I ask you giantbomb, what is your worst eb/GameStop horror stories?

#2 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

I worked there for 3 years! *gasp*

But really, OP, whatever transpired at EB sounds like it really wasn't supposed to happen. I'd call back and talk to the manager. Or ask for their DM's number. They'll shit their pants.

#3 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

I feel your pain I had a few bad experiences at gamestop aswell.

#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

If he was not allowed to sell the used copies they wouldn't be on display for everyone to see. He took you for a sucker.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -

My girlfriend works at an EB.

I love video games.

And I would rather pump gas or clean dishes than work for GameStop.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I remember back around the time Halo 3 came out I went with my friend on a day off from school to preorder it and the manager there threatened to call the truant officer on us for skipping school. We said fine and sat there until the truant officer came over and told him off. It was pretty funny watching the truant officer scold him for wasting his time and "embarrassing these kids."

#7 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

They just upsaled you. Congratulations

#8 Posted by laserbolts (5337 posts) -

I'm not quite sure what a truant officer is but that's pretty funny. I've put up with shit from that store for years but I think I'll just go to Walmart instead even though their selection is shit.

#9 Posted by Willtron (243 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

If he was not allowed to sell the used copies they wouldn't be on display for everyone to see. He took you for a sucker.

Yep.

You got ass-fucked, sir.

What's more funny is that the employee would have probably been better off selling you the used copy even if the new ones were on sale. EB/Gamestop makes pure-ass money off used copies. They don't off of new copies.

Anyway, I worked there, too for a while. It's never been overly-terrible to me. My manager was a shithead, but eh. It's evil and gross with its business practices, just like any big retailer of video games. I've never been fucked over by shitty sales associates, though.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I'm not quite sure what a truant officer is but that's pretty funny.

Somebody who rounds kids up and makes 'em go to school. I'm not sure if they're around anymore, though, since when I went to confirm this with Wikipedia, its only response was a Donald Duck cartoon.

#11 Posted by gaminghooligan (1477 posts) -

strange they only make a profit from the used, so really you and the developers won here

#12 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

They tried to sell my brother a "new" game without a manual. Of course they didn't bother to tell him that they couldn't find the manual, they just started to ring him up. When he opened up the case to check the disc he saw that it wasn't in there so he gave them back the case and we walked out.

#13 Posted by dream431ca (175 posts) -

I love how people try to single out Gamestop or EB games. Every store will do this to you eventually.

#14 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I don't have any horror stories, because they only sell 3 PC games and I already have them.

#15 Posted by kindgineer (2788 posts) -

I never buy my games from GameStop anymore now that I've caught onto their little scheme of "already opened boxes to deter theft."

There are plenty of alternatives to this and I really hate the stupid shit they pull. So, my biggest horror story for them would be walking into one.

#16 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

I never buy my games from GameStop anymore now that I've caught onto their little scheme of "already opened boxes to deter theft."

There are plenty of alternatives to this and I really hate the stupid shit they pull. So, my biggest horror story for them would be walking into one.

How do you mean, already opened boxes? I'm sure I'd know, only for I don't shop there either.

#17 Posted by Willtron (243 posts) -

I still have yet to see this 'opened boxes' thing in Canada. The only time opened boxes were EVER used when I worked there was if it was the last copy of the game--the display copy. And we were obligated to tell the customers it was a display copy and give them a sealed copy of the game with said display copy.

And yeah, call the manager. You got fucked over by an asshole employee, and asshole employees aren't exclusive to EB/Gamestop.

#18 Posted by kindgineer (2788 posts) -

@mandude: When they receive the games they pre-open the box and remove the disc from the packaging and put the box on the shelves. I never feel like I'm getting a new game when I have to watch the employee search for the disc that's in a paper sleeve, open my box, and artificially tape it back up.

Doesn't click well with me.

#19 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

@mandude said:

@ck1nd said:

How do you mean, already opened boxes? I'm sure I'd know, only for I don't shop there either.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say but....

There are times when you'll ask for a game and they'll grab the open display box, pull out a plastic sleeve with the game and manual from under the desk, shove the contents into the display box and call it "new". Either way I've slowly stopped all my business with them, Amazon does a much better job.

#20 Edited by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Willtron said:

I still have yet to see this 'opened boxes' thing in Canada. The only time opened boxes were EVER used when I worked there was if it was the last copy of the game--the display copy. And we were obligated to tell the customers it was a display copy and give them a sealed copy of the game with said display copy.

And yeah, call the manager. You got fucked over by an asshole employee, and asshole employees aren't exclusive to EB/Gamestop.

It's incredibly common with niche titles. Nearly every NISA or Atlus game I have bought from an EB games if it wasn't pre-ordered has been an open copy, where the opened box on the shelf just happened to be their last copy of the game and they then go and grab the disc from a sleeve behind the counter. Case in point -- Trinity Universe, the day it came out, they gave me an open copy because strangely enough, it just happened to be their last copy!

I have nothing against EB Games; I certainly like the one here in my hometown, but the open copy thing is the one big gripe I have and a big part of why I buy nearly all of my new purchases from eb's online store, which are guaranteed to be sealed (and oddly enough arrive at my door faster than many of the shipments of the same games arrive at our local store). Hell, it's not the open package that irks me so much as the godawful stickers they put right on the front and back covers that you have to use a hairdryer to get off properly, arg!

Edit: Just off the top of my head, a list of open copy "new" games I've got from them in recent years, there's a lot more than this but you get the idea.

Persona 4

Persona 3: FES

Trinity Universe

Mana Khemia

Atelier Rorona

We <3 Katamari

Tales of Vesperia

Disgaea 3

Ar Tonelico 2

Cross Edge

#21 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

@mandude: When they receive the games they pre-open the box and remove the disc from the packaging and put the box on the shelves. I never feel like I'm getting a new game when I have to watch the employee search for the disc that's in a paper sleeve, open my box, and artificially tape it back up.

Oh, that. Yeah, I feel the same way. In Game, I would always go up to the counter without anything whatsoever and just ask for whatever it was I wanted. They'd usually pull out a sealed box from somewhere in the back when I did that.

#22 Edited by Willtron (243 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

That is a thing, yes. But every fucking games store does that. It's not exclusive to EB and Gamestop. O_o

There's a lot of reasons to hate EB and Gamestop. This isn't one of them.

ALSO, generally, they should be giving you unopened copies from the back. Those boxes that are put on display should stay in display until they're the last copies of the games remaining in the store. Again, this isn't exclusive to EB and Gamestop. Everyone does this if it's the last copy of the game. And they need to put out display copies. If they don't, you aren't gonna know it's there in the store.

And EB/Gamestop doesn't have a choice how many copies of a game they get. Just like every other games store doesn't. I did shipping for a year and a half. I did shipping for a year at a movie store, too. The distributors decide how many copies of each game a store will get. And a lot of that has to do with pre-orders numbers if the games are new. That's the business model now. It sucks balls, but it's a fact for all brick-and-mortar retailers.

If you're looking for a niche title, unfortunately, you're probably gonna get opened copies no matter what if you're buying the games from a store, unless they specialize in niche titles. Doesn't matter where you go. And I can attest that those opened copies of the games are brand new--or, generally, they should be unless you've got shitty asshole employees.

And maybe I just don't care as much, and I'm also slightly biased because I worked at EB. The stickers are a bitch, but they aren't hard to get off at all. And again, all stores will give you opened copies of the game if it's the display copies.

Whomever you're going to is doing their job terribly, OP, and many other duders. Simple as that. At least in my store when I worked at EB, and every other store in Toronto, employees were REQUIRED to grab unopened copies until the display copies were the only copies of the games available in the store. That's why there would only be ONE new display copy per game on shelves. The rest are supposed to be used copies. Blame the shit managers and shit employees. It's not like this is supposed to be the business practices of EB/Gamestop.

Again, there's a lot of things to get pissed off at EB/Gamestop for. And a lot of those things are why I don't buy games from EB anymore, combined with the fact that I have a store here in Toronto that sells games for generally ten or twenty bucks cheaper than EB. I don't think the opened games thing is one of the things to be pissed off at when every other game store does the same thing.

#23 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

GAME and Gamestation have always been so nice to me.

#24 Posted by WilliamHenry (1205 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

strange they only make a profit from the used, so really you and the developers won here

They do make a profit off of new games, but its not nearly as large as the profit they make off used games.

#25 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

@Willtron said:

@ck1nd said:

That is a thing, yes. But every fucking games store does that. It's not exclusive to EB and Gamestop. O_o

There's a lot of reasons to hate EB and Gamestop. This isn't one of them.

ALSO, generally, they should be giving you unopened copies from the back. Those boxes that are put on display should stay in display until they're the last copies of the games remaining in the store. Again, this isn't exclusive to EB and Gamestop. Everyone does this if it's the last copy of the game. And they need to put out display copies. If they don't, you aren't gonna know it's there in the store.

And EB/Gamestop doesn't have a choice how many copies of a game they get. Just like every other games store doesn't. I did shipping for a year and a half. I did shipping for a year at a movie store, too. The distributors decide how many copies of each game a store will get. And a lot of that has to do with pre-orders numbers if the games are new. That's the business model now. It sucks balls, but it's a fact for all brick-and-mortar retailers.

If you're looking for a niche title, unfortunately, you're probably gonna get opened copies no matter what if you're buying the games from a store, unless they specialize in niche titles. Doesn't matter where you go. And I can attest that those opened copies of the games are brand new--or, generally, they should be unless you've got shitty asshole employees.

And maybe I just don't care as much, and I'm also slightly biased because I worked at EB. The stickers are a bitch, but they aren't hard to get off at all. And again, all stores will give you opened copies of the game if it's the display copies.

Whomever you're going to is doing their job terribly, OP, and many other duders. Simple as that. At least in my store when I worked at EB, and every other store in Toronto, employees were REQUIRED to grab unopened copies until the display copies were the only copies of the games available in the store. That's why there would only be ONE new display copy per game on shelves. The rest are supposed to be used copies. Blame the shit managers and shit employees. It's not like this is supposed to be the business practices of EB/Gamestop.

Again, there's a lot of things to get pissed off at EB/Gamestop for. And a lot of those things are why I don't buy games from EB anymore, combined with the fact that I have a store here in Toronto that sells games for generally ten or twenty bucks cheaper than EB. I don't think the opened games thing is one of the things to be pissed off at when every other game store does the same thing.

Can you name some of these other game stores? I have never seen this practice outside of EB/Gamestop.

#26 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I should mention that my local GameStop has started to keep their new games in the shrink wrap. 

#27 Edited by kindgineer (2788 posts) -

@Willtron: "Every" games store, I think not. So far, and it may be my area, they are either behind glass or the box on the shelves is a place-holder and the wrapped copy is given to me at check-out. I think it is a completely fair complaint to give towards Gamestop and EBgames when there are several different ways to perform the same security measure. Not to mention, you don't NEED every copy of the game on the shelves, this is 2012. A local game-store by me puts one copy of the game on the shelves, which is again a place-holder, and you tell the clerk that's what you want.

I've gotten sealed games from Gamestop before, but it is a race occurrence. I have, and will continue, to stop shopping there for this reason amongst others that I'm sure have been argued to death.

PS: Just because everyone does it does not make it okay. I think that mentality is one of the encouragements everyone gives the retailers.

#28 Edited by Willtron (243 posts) -

Best Buy does the same thing, at least here in Canada.

Grab display copy of game. They go grab you a sealed copy. If it's the last copy, they explain "Hey dude, this is a display copy, and it's our last copy. Is it okay that it's unsealed?" If it's okay, they give you the unsealed box and put the game in there.

@ck1nd said:

@Willtron: "Every" games store, I think not. So far, and it may be my area, they are either behind glass or the box on the shelves is a place-holder and the wrapped copy is given to me at check-out. I think it is a completely fair complaint to give towards Gamestop and EBgames when there are several different ways to perform the same security measure. Not to mention, you don't NEED every copy of the game on the shelves, this is 2012. A local game-store by me puts one copy of the game on the shelves, which is again a place-holder, and you tell the clerk that's what you want.

I've gotten sealed games from Gamestop before, but it is a race occurrence. I have, and will continue, to stop shopping there for this reason amongst others that I'm sure have been argued to death.

PS: Just because everyone does it does not make it okay. I think that mentality is one of the encouragements everyone gives the retailers.

They're doing their jobs wrong then, man.

Again, here in Canada, in Toronto, EB/Gamestops have ONE new copy of the game out, at most two. The rest should be used copies. They should always be giving you sealed copies from the back/the display case behind the cash register, which holds only sealed copies of the game.

If they HAVE sealed copies of the game, they are OBLIGATED to give you said sealed copy of the game. If they aren't giving you a sealed copy, fucking complain and ask for the sealed copy of the game. They should never be giving you an opened copy of the game unless it is the LAST copy of the game or it's a used copy. And if you don't want an opened copy of the game, go to another store, or wait until they get a new shipment. EB/Gamestop can't do much if that open copy of the game is literally the only copy left in the store.

#29 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -

@Willtron said:

I've seen it before, but years ago (I distinctly remember my new copy of Pikmin 2 being opened). I rarely buy games at EB anymore, but the last one I did (Xenoblade Chronicles) was sealed.

And yeah, agreed, this sounds sounds like a bad employee and nothing more. I'm by no means a fan of EB, but I find the hate a bit baffling. Their used game business is kind of distasteful to me, and their pushing of pre-order bonuses sucks, but they're not the only ones that do this stuff.

#30 Edited by killacam (1286 posts) -

@Willtron said:

in nova scotia i have yet to see a gamestop that keeps sealed copies on the shelves (they mayyy have some behind the counter, but they may just be stickerless.. i don't remember)

edit: how did you go from "having yet to see the opened boxes thing in canada" to "EVERY game store sells open boxes"? I think gamestop may have gotten to you...

#31 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

The only things I've noticed is how hard they push pre-orders, and that disc warranty. I'm not going to pay $3 to put a warranty on a game. Especially one I'm only paying $10.00 for.

#32 Edited by Willtron (243 posts) -

@killacam said:

@Willtron said:

in nova scotia i have yet to see a gamestop that keeps sealed copies on the shelves (they mayyy have some behind the counter, but they may just be stickerless.. i don't remember)

edit: how did you go from "having yet to see the opened boxes thing in canada" to "EVERY game store sells open boxes"? I think gamestop may have gotten to you...

Because every games store I've been to sells open boxes if they're the last copy, just like Gamestop. O_o

Let's spell it out here.

Every single games store--at least the big, chain retailers--sells opened/display copies of games. Every single big chain retailer SHOULD 'gut' ONE copy of a game. Just one single copy. Gutting a game means you unseal it, take out the game, and put a display copy on the shelves. ONLY one copy. Maybe a few, but definitely not their whole inventory--not even close. But the majority of your new copies should be sealed and only accessible to the sales associate--whether in a display case or in the back or whatever.

You, as a consumer, shouldn't be given an opened copy of a game UNLESS it is either used or the very last copy of the game in the store, regardless of what store it is. If you're given an opened copy of a game and you can plainly see that there's sealed copies, then fucking demand for a sealed copy. Doesn't matter if it's EB/Gamestop or not, they ought to give you a sealed copy. If you don't see a sealed copy, ask if it's the display copy/if there's any copies in the back. Because again, EB/Gamestop is obligated to give you a sealed copy, just like any other store is.

It's not EB/Gamestop fucking you over because their policy demands to sell customers unsealed copies of the game. It's the employee being a lazy asshole and not grabbing you a sealed copy of the game. OR, it's the off-chance that it's the last copy of the game in the store and the employee's a lazy asshole and won't tell you. Generally, people don't wanna be given shit, especially in retail. You complain enough, or make it seem like you're going to complain if they're doing a shit job, and you should be given a sealed copy of a game. If the store ONLY has unsealed copies, then they're fucking awful.

HOWEVER, if it legitimately is the last copy of the game in the store, no matter what store it is, they're obligated to sell that last copy, and it's going to be unsealed.

And no games store should keep sealed copies on their shelves. People would just straight up steal games.

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (15090 posts) -

When you go into EB/Gamestop you need to be prepared to stick to your guns. Don't be a dick but let them know that you aren't interested in anything you have to sell. If they can't give you why you want then walk. I rarely do business with them anymore mostly because it's stupid easy just to buy everything off amazon.

#34 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

In fact, I'm pretty sure at least in my state that it's illegal to have anything on the shelf with a price that can't be sold. It has to be sold, and at the advertised price. I know for example at the store I work at if we forget to remove a sign for a sale, we have to honor that sale.@ck1nd said:

Unless you are a collector, that's a stupid thing to get upset about. It's how many retailers do it, because it's easier than just locking the case and having to help every damn kid that wants to buy a game. That's how my store handles our video game sales, and it'd be a pain if I didn't work at Fred Meyers, which is sort of like a gaming consumer's hell, so no one really buys their games there. Having to check all purchases for a receipt at the door and all that isn't much better of an option but for a big store like Best Buy it works a little better because they also have the ELP tags. The game works fine and unless it does or you're a collector, not really an issue. And I'm sure if you ordered online or went elsewhere you could easily get a proper sealed copy of your game.

#35 Posted by kindgineer (2788 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: Yeah, I do go elsewhere, that is the entire point of what I said. I'm not really sure what you accomplished by implying my complaint is stupid because I'm not a collector. No, but I am someone who wants my item factory sealed and I think it is reasonable to want that.

#36 Posted by believer258 (12079 posts) -

You get better trade-in deals at Best Buy and you can get better console game prices at Amazon and much better PC prices on Steam.

...so, yeah. Gamestop is staying alive because of their name. If people realized that, then no one would ever shop there anymore.

#37 Posted by krazy_kyle (715 posts) -

He pressured you into making an idiot decision, which you did. Idiot. :P

#38 Posted by killacam (1286 posts) -

@Willtron said:

@killacam said:

@Willtron said:

Because every games store I've been to sells open boxes if they're the last copy, just like Gamestop. O_o

Let's spell it out here.

Every single games store--at least the big, chain retailers--sells opened/display copies of games. Every single big chain retailer SHOULD 'gut' ONE copy of a game. Just one single copy. Gutting a game means you unseal it, take out the game, and put a display copy on the shelves. ONLY one copy. Maybe a few, but definitely not their whole inventory--not even close. But the majority of your new copies should be sealed and only accessible to the sales associate--whether in a display case or in the back or whatever.

You, as a consumer, shouldn't be given an opened copy of a game UNLESS it is either used or the very last copy of the game in the store, regardless of what store it is. If you're given an opened copy of a game and you can plainly see that there's sealed copies, then fucking demand for a sealed copy. Doesn't matter if it's EB/Gamestop or not, they ought to give you a sealed copy. If you don't see a sealed copy, ask if it's the display copy/if there's any copies in the back. Because again, EB/Gamestop is obligated to give you a sealed copy, just like any other store is.

It's not EB/Gamestop fucking you over because their policy demands to sell customers unsealed copies of the game. It's the employee being a lazy asshole and not grabbing you a sealed copy of the game. OR, it's the off-chance that it's the last copy of the game in the store and the employee's a lazy asshole and won't tell you. Generally, people don't wanna be given shit, especially in retail. You complain enough, or make it seem like you're going to complain if they're doing a shit job, and you should be given a sealed copy of a game. If the store ONLY has unsealed copies, then they're fucking awful.

HOWEVER, if it legitimately is the last copy of the game in the store, no matter what store it is, they're obligated to sell that last copy, and it's going to be unsealed.

And no games store should keep sealed copies on their shelves. People would just straight up steal games.

you're right! the thing is, and that everyone here is complaining about, is that they DON'T just open up ONE copy.

#39 Posted by ManotheBard (46 posts) -

Every time i walk into an EB Games/GameStop they smell like piss. That is the only horror story that needs to be told.

#40 Posted by laserbolts (5337 posts) -

I dunno the last 5 or so new games I've picked up there haven't been sealed so either I have crappy luck or they sell used games as new. It was only 5 bucks so it isn't the end of the world it just seemed like a weird transaction went down that's all. I'd shop online but I prefer going to an actual store so I choose to do that. There is one eb and one Walmart in my town so my selection is pretty shit.

#41 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@ck1nd: If you put it as "what I want" sure, but you came across as "how dare they, the fiends!" I don't even like them, but that's a silly thing to level as a general criticism vs a personal preference. Especially when they are all but factory sealed until you get the damn thing. The disk works fine, and I've never seen a difference between a sealed copy disc and an unsealed copy of a disc.

#42 Posted by Demoskinos (15090 posts) -
@believer258

You get better trade-in deals at Best Buy and you can get better console game prices at Amazon and much better PC prices on Steam.

...so, yeah. Gamestop is staying alive because of their name. If people realized that, then no one would ever shop there anymore.

They have been starting to get gamestop exclusive LE's too. I'm getting DOA5 from there for that exact reason. Although I'm going through the website.
#43 Edited by Akyho (1692 posts) -

Yeah he fucked you over. Probably sold you a used copy but for $5 more.

Gamestastion over here in the UK is like Gamestop. I decided to rebuy lost planet since I noticed they had Lost Planet Colonies with extra stuff. I took the box up and was served then left. I was at the bus stop waiting to go home, decided to open up the box and see the manual on the new stuff.

What did I find? The Collectors Edition Jammed in. So I had an art book, the game disc, a bunch of extra stuff and the making of DVD. Jammed into a single disk box. I already had the CE and traded it in and I wanted to the updated version of colonies. So I walked back, complained and got things sorted thing out. He checked and said "sorry we dont have that version." An awkward pause....I said "I dont want this version...also you jammed in the Collectors edition into a smaller box than the tin case it came in...Id like a refund."

Got my refund.

However another time i was with a friend he bought a gears of war beanie and some other stuff. He paid for the stuff and then a minute later the manager is shouting at him to come back. He does ask's whats up. The manager says "Were do you think you are going with that?!" he replied "uuuhh...home...because I bought it?" Managers shouts "no you stole it! Pay for it now!" Both bemused he gets out the receipt he was just handed. Manager look at it and goes "ok. thought you stole it"......not even a sorry.

In the same store. I was just browsing I know but they have the cheapest used games and when its used games I am not fussy for the right price. I over here a mother asking a staff member "Is there any Mario games for the xbox? I cant find them" I shrug and go "meh she is a mother not into games of course she wouldn't know."

The employee looks.....I was a bit confused but left it. Then he says "No sorry. I don't think there is. Which is strange they would make alot of Mario if they brought it to xbox"

I face palmed. They continued to discuss mario on the xbox for a little while.

#44 Posted by kindgineer (2788 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: Well, due to the idea of opinions, I can say "how dare they." I do this by not purchasing from them and if anyone is offended by that they need to loosen up a bit. Just because I hate an establishment does not mean the people purchasing from them are evil.

I do think what they do is criminal, which is why I have ceased purchasing from them. If any other establishment were to begin doing this, I would do exactly the same. I see nothing wrong with my attitude, but I suppose everyone has to be a Devil's Advocate.

#45 Posted by Eddie_and_the_Fist_Monkeys (81 posts) -

@Willtron said:

@BraveToaster said:

Yep.

You got ass-fucked, sir.

What's more funny is that the employee would have probably been better off selling you the used copy even if the new ones were on sale. EB/Gamestop makes pure-ass money off used copies. They don't off of new copies.

Anyway, I worked there, too for a while. It's never been overly-terrible to me. My manager was a shithead, but eh. It's evil and gross with its business practices, just like any big retailer of video games. I've never been fucked over by shitty sales associates, though.

Yeah, I thought I had read the original post wrong or that things had in fact transpired in the reverse and he had convinced you to buy a used one which is usually what staff would be encouraged to do. Pure profit is made on used games and staff would usually have a percentage target to reach for the week for pre-owned sales, if the quality of the used games is high then it shouldn't matter.

This generally sounds like a confusing sales transaction all round, did he definitely work there? ;)