Should a Music site be then next creation from Whiskey Media?

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By turboman
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Of course, it makes sense cause there is already a site for games and movies.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By turboman

Now that I've saddled into Whiskey Media's universe of stuff(Giant Bomb and Screened, with the occasional view of Comic Vine), I'm desperately craving to be a part of a music website created by Whiskey Media. 

I love what's out there, but I've never been able to find a good community of people on the internet. I think it would be great to have a wiki-styled music site.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By armaan8014

That would be fun.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By zidd

Music is way too broad and subjective of a subject for a whiskey site.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kmdrkul

Nah, too many problems would arise.  There is a shitload more music then there is video games, and the line between what should be put on the site and what should be kept off would be hard to define.  I have friends who recorded shitty guitar solos on cheap voice recorders, what would stop somebody from trying to clog the site up with stuff like that?  What about bands like the Rolling Stones who have hundreds of bootleg concert CDs and DVDs out there?  

Another big problem would be the forums: they would be a shitstorm from day one.  If there is one thing every person seems to get defensive about, it's their taste in music.  Metalheads are quick to sling shit towards Hip Hops way, et cetera.  Moderation would be way too difficult and nobody would be able to say "I don't like this band/singer/group" without getting shat all over.  If you have Last.fm, look at your favorite bands profile and scroll through the comments until you see somebody say how they really feel about the band: they get attacked by everyone. 

Maybe if Whiskey focused on a more specific genre of music there would be some degree of civility.  Have a Rock website.  Have a Rap website.  But for the love of all things holy, do not try and make fans of either coexist.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By gingertastic_10

Nah. I probably would never go there.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
@kmdrkul said:

" Nah, too many problems would arise.  There is a shitload more music then there is video games, and the line between what should be put on the site and what should be kept off would be hard to define.  I have friends who recorded shitty guitar solos on cheap voice recorders, what would stop somebody from trying to clog the site up with stuff like that?  What about bands like the Rolling Stones who have hundreds of bootleg concert CDs and DVDs out there?    Another big problem would be the forums: they would be a shitstorm from day one.  If there is one thing every person seems to get defensive about, it's their taste in music.  Metalheads are quick to sling shit towards Hip Hops way, et cetera.  Moderation would be way too difficult and nobody would be able to say "I don't like this band/singer/group" without getting shat all over.  If you have Last.fm, look at your favorite bands profile and scroll through the comments until you see somebody say how they really feel about the band: they get attacked by everyone. "

Solution: 

A Whiskey Media Hip-Hop site featuring Method and Red as the editors. 

Oh and of course Ice-T would do some freelance.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By JonathanMoore

Music is my career and I have been hoping for this for a long time, if this happened it would make me a happy panda.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By DCFGS3

It probably will be, but that's not to say it should be. First of all it will have to be as large as giantbomb (staff size), with people who have a varied taste in music, which in turn creates problems (how can you have a guy who really likes rap talk about music to another guy who really likes pop?). What's more there's a severe danger it could become an elitist shithole of 'music is better than yours' and 'How alternative can you get?' I also don't really know how they can really write (let alone create videos about) music for very long.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By turboman
@kmdrkul said:
" Nah, too many problems would arise.  There is a shitload more music then there is video games, and the line between what should be put on the site and what should be kept off would be hard to define.  I have friends who recorded shitty guitar solos on cheap voice recorders, what would stop somebody from trying to clog the site up with stuff like that?  What about bands like the Rolling Stones who have hundreds of bootleg concert CDs and DVDs out there?   "
I have a camera function on my cell phone, can I enter that onto Screened?
confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By confideration

No thanks

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kmdrkul
@TurboMan said:

" @kmdrkul said:

" Nah, too many problems would arise.  There is a shitload more music then there is video games, and the line between what should be put on the site and what should be kept off would be hard to define.  I have friends who recorded shitty guitar solos on cheap voice recorders, what would stop somebody from trying to clog the site up with stuff like that?  What about bands like the Rolling Stones who have hundreds of bootleg concert CDs and DVDs out there?   "
I have a camera function on my cell phone, can I enter that onto Screened? "
See, you're proving my point.  The boundary is far more defined for what should pass on a movie site then what could pass on a music site.  It would be ridiculous for somebody who made a five minute video for an English class in high school to put their work on Screened but it sounds much more reasonable for a little garage band who plays shows to crowds of ten people to be on the music site.  What about DJs?  Should their remixes count as music? 
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Jams

Is this an application because I'd love to be an editor of that site. I think it could work as long as they moderated well. It could potentially be the record store of the internet. Where you can get those guys and gals that can suggest other artists similar to the ones you like and expand your horizons and the ones who can turn some one from liking Nickleback to howl'en wolf or something by way of suggestion.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Zidd said:
" Music is way too broad and subjective of a subject for a whiskey site. "
true, it would have to be a specific genre, and if that were the case, there wouldn't be much readership because of how specific it is. 
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jams
@kmdrkul said:
" @TurboMan said:

" @kmdrkul said:

See, you're proving my point.  The boundary is far more defined for what should pass on a movie site then what could pass on a music site.  It would be ridiculous for somebody who made a five minute video for an English class in high school to put their work on Screened but it sounds much more reasonable for a little garage band who plays shows to crowds of ten people to be on the music site.  What about DJs?  Should their remixes count as music?  "
There are indie gamer developer teams of 1 who make shitty little mods for games. They aren't on this site are they? He didn't prove your point. This isn't Youtube where you can just post whatever. Sure they could post a blog about their band, but they couldn't create a page unless they had enough points or a mod accepted it (or how ever they'd chose to do it).
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By turboman
@kmdrkul said:
" @TurboMan said:

" @kmdrkul said:

See, you're proving my point.  The boundary is far more defined for what should pass on a movie site then what could pass on a music site.  It would be ridiculous for somebody who made a five minute video for an English class in high school to put their work on Screened but it sounds much more reasonable for a little garage band who plays shows to crowds of ten people to be on the music site.  What about DJs?  Should their remixes count as music?  "
How bout only music that is released to some extent of masses(iTunes etc.) is allowed. Maybe a forum dedicated to unsigned artists(and users) for all that discussion.  Remixes can be mentioned in the original release pages. DJs count if their stuff is released to the masses. Radiohead counts if they do some bullshit to release their next CD.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@kmdrkul: Do you know how many indie and flash games there are that aren't listed on this site? Now obviously there is a shit ton of music, but Whiskey sites tend to have a very narrow margin for what is acceptable. 

Usually. 

I also don't see how forum arguments would be a problem. You act like the same exact thing doesn't happen here. 

For some reason we always argue about anime though.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox

No. A combined community website should be next where all the forums pleasantly collide. 

Got a comic or movie question? Post it in the vine or screened section. Got a PC tech question? Tested section. Why go to a different site and forum that's owned and run by the same company in the same divider-less basement?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead

If it happened, it would have the worst community this side of the IMDb.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turboman
@MrKlorox: you're talking more about a feature that everyone has been requesting forever now. 

also, I don't understand the argument of everyone bitching at everyone else. It seems that communities around Whiskey have been pretty respectful towards everyone with tight moderation for the couple of trolls that come around, I don't see a new site being a problem.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster

I could care less about any other Whiskey Media site. I'm only going to visit Giant Bomb.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jadeskye

meh music isn't really a significant enough medium to warrent a whiskey type site.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox
@TurboMan:  Pfft... semantics. It's more than just a site.

Whiskey should stop where they are, as far as new content genres go, and work on fine-tuning and further-developing what they have. Asking for another site is like asking for Whiskey to go belly-up.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By turboman
@jadeskye said:
" meh music isn't really a significant enough medium to warrent a whiskey type site. "
There's a website for fucking Anime here.  

jk :)....

*Shields Up*
Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJWeatherman said:
" @kmdrkul said:

" Nah, too many problems would arise.  There is a shitload more music then there is video games, and the line between what should be put on the site and what should be kept off would be hard to define.  I have friends who recorded shitty guitar solos on cheap voice recorders, what would stop somebody from trying to clog the site up with stuff like that?  What about bands like the Rolling Stones who have hundreds of bootleg concert CDs and DVDs out there?    Another big problem would be the forums: they would be a shitstorm from day one.  If there is one thing every person seems to get defensive about, it's their taste in music.  Metalheads are quick to sling shit towards Hip Hops way, et cetera.  Moderation would be way too difficult and nobody would be able to say "I don't like this band/singer/group" without getting shat all over.  If you have Last.fm, look at your favorite bands profile and scroll through the comments until you see somebody say how they really feel about the band: they get attacked by everyone. "

Solution:  A Whiskey Media Hip-Hop site featuring Method and Red as the editors.  Oh and of course Ice-T would do some freelance. "
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jadeskye
@TurboMan said:
" @jadeskye said:
" meh music isn't really a significant enough medium to warrent a whiskey type site. "
There's a website for fucking Anime here.   jk :).... *Shields Up* "
Hey! :( I photoshopped you falling on an atomic bomb and this is how you treat me? *cry*
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By turboman
@jadeskye: I knew from the moment I wrote that that I shouldn't have wrote that. I apologize.
Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kahoona

Car site.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Andorski

I'm hoping for a cos-play site, but whatever.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Music is way too broad and Whiskey is all about small teams.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Andorski said:
" I'm hoping for a cos-play site, but whatever. "
please god no.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Im pretty sure they are already working on another website. Anyway the next website should be about something interesting like stamps! (...or food)

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By turboman
@Mr_Skeleton said:
"

Im pretty sure they are already working on another website. Anyway the next website should be about something interesting like stamps! (...or food)

"
Food would be my second choice.
PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PhilESkyline

Why not a fashion website? No seriously fashion.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I would enjoy a book site, simply because I would read more if I knew what to read.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

yes. put Jeff, Alex, Ryan... hell.. All Whiskey Media people behind it! It's the ultimate group effort.. 

ALSO I WANT THEM TO BE EVEN MORE STRESSED! HAHAHAHAHA

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#39  Edited By citizenkane

The logistics of creating a database driven website about music would be very hard to do, and that's only speaking from the developer side of the website.  Not to mention the editorial and community stuff.

I, for one, would love a sports site.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By csl316

i love music, but any music site based around the community just falls apart.  hip hop picks on rock, rock picks on pop, metal picks on metal...

it would be, as mkdrkul put it, a shitstorm

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By masterherocard

i gotta say that it certainly is higher up on the list of things possible, but it's second from the top for me.  

Personally, a book site would be more interesting, but a music site would still be good.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By turboman
@CitizenKane said:
" The logistics of creating a database driven website about music would be very hard to do, and that's only speaking from the developer side of the website.  Not to mention the editorial and community stuff.  I, for one, would love a sports site. "
I could see the development side mimicking screened, and while all pages aren't filled to the brim, there is a lot of information that has been taken from other websites around the web. 

and while the editors can't track everything(obviously), at least they'll have the ability to point you in a general direction to what they feel is good content(editors with mixed tastes, but generally apreciate everything.) 

Also, A sports site could be great too, but if there's worry about arguing community for music, it's going to be a shit storm for sports.
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RobotHamster

They should make a food site call tasted.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SonicFire

Music reviews are the most ridiculously subjective. We all listen to music for different purposes, and the concept of what determines "art" in music is debatable at best. Because they're on a search for "art," most music critics tend to praise indie/hipster material that is either uniquely banal or borderline unlistenable. I don't want that kind of analysis in whiskey media.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By turboman
@SonicFire said:
" Music reviews are the most ridiculously subjective. We all listen to music for different purposes, and the concept of what determines "art" in music is debatable at best. Because they're on a search for "art," most music critics tend to praise indie/hipster material that is either uniquely banal or borderline unlistenable. I don't want that kind of analysis in whiskey media. "
All reviews are subjective in general. We've just had this problem on Giant Bomb just now with Limbo(and Flower), the people that dig it really dig and the other think that its decent at best, terrible and overpriced at worst.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Karl_Boss

Hell yeah

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By trace

While I wouldn't object to a music site (though I doubt I'd pay much attention to it since I'm pretty dull music-wise), I'd rather see a website dedicated to cars or sports. I know there's already a bunch of those sites around the Internet, and ESPN.com's pretty close to definitive in its mainstream US sport coverage , but I wouldn't mind either of those subjects with the Whiskey-branded twist.

Of course, because of the all-too-true point that those sites would bring argumentative shitstorms, a car or sports site would need to be heavily moderated to prevent the forums from being engulfed in flippant douchebaggery. Heck, if the screws could actually be tightened enough to allow for interesting and insightful conversation instead of unwarranted flaming and hate on such sites, that would be a positive against any competitors. Speaking in idealistic fantasy terms, naturally.

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

i think it would be a great idea. i think it's kinda ridiculous that so many people are saying people wouldn't get along or some shit, it's not like different music genres are that controversial.. the most ridiculous thing in the video game community is console wars but we do a pretty good job avoiding any discussion on that here at GB, right? honestly i'd be surprised if there were any such major issue at a whiskey media site. if anything, i think it would allow people to respect other people's opinions and genre preferences and such  

also... 
@RobotHamster said:

" They should make a food site call tasted. "
wonderful idea
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By VisariLoyalist

obviously the next whiskey media site should be a food site. Or wait I guess giantbomb already does that.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mmmslash

For everyone saying that music is too broad of a subject, they really need to consider that we have a Tech site under the Whiskey Media umbrella.