Should All Videos Be Streamed With Chat?

• 51 results
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Poll Should All Videos Be Streamed With Chat? (184 votes)

Yes, stream everything upon release with chat. 28%
No, leave it as it is. 49%
Tralse 25%

One of the most enjoyable things about this site is interacting with the chat during live streams. Most times chat isn't really even mentioned during the stream but that doesn't stop it from being stupid fun to be a part of. It might be nice for videos that go up (Quick Looks, trailers, whatever) to be streamed with chat available. What say you?

Actually... maybe that's a stupid idea... but hey. POLL! WOOOO~~~!

• 
Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

The question seems kinda vague to me. Do you mean every video on the site should have it's own separate chat room? So if I'm watching old episodes of the Deadly Premonition ER, and someone just happens to be watching that same video, at the same time as me, we can have a chat about how stoopid people in Indiana really are?

It might work if every video you watch opens the same default chat room, or if the chat room were just permanently accessible, or the chat room was permanently accessible to subscribers only, but chat rooms for everything seems like the fever dreams of a loonie bird.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Sure. Why the hell not? I always enjoy the fun hi jinks chat gets up to during live shows.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

@spiritof said:

The question seems kinda vague to me. Do you mean every video on the site should have it's own separate chat room? So if I'm watching old episodes of the Deadly Premonition ER, and someone just happens to be watching that same video, at the same time as me, we can have a chat about how stoopid people in Indiana really are?

It might work if every video you watch opens the same default chat room, or if the chat room were just permanently accessible, or the chat room was permanently accessible to subscribers only, but chat rooms for everything seems like the fever dreams of a loonie bird.

Not to mention nigh impossible to moderate.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

24/7 GB chat, IRC style. All of my votes.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@spiritof said:

I meant more that new videos should be streamed on Giantbomb.com/chat in a single chat room. Not per video. That'd be insane and also, wouldn't make sense since everyone would be at a different point in the video =P

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@spiritof said:

I meant more that new videos should be streamed on Giantbomb.com/chat in a single chat room. Not per video. That'd be insane and also, wouldn't make sense since everyone would be at a different point in the video =P

Wouldn't that necessitate that all Quick Looks be recorded live even though that's not something that they could reliably commit to or schedule? I'd rather not have all of the site's video content be put at the needs of a live stream schedule.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fobwashed

@hailinel said:

@fobwashed said:

@hailinel said:

@spiritof said:

Wouldn't that necessitate that all Quick Looks be recorded live even though that's not something that they could reliably commit to or schedule? I'd rather not have all of the site's video content be put at the needs of a live stream schedule.

No, I mean non-live recorded videos including trailers or dumptrucks or whatever would be played in a stream in Giantbomb.com/chat for anyone interested to go in and chat during the video/audio. Everything on the site would still work as is, just videos that aren't recorded live would play with chat available for people who want to watch it together.

For example, the Trials video goes up at 6:00 AM and the FTL vid goes up at 9:00 AM. Stream the Trials at 6 with chat and the FTL at 9 w/chat for people who want to watch the vid with an active chat room. Doesn't mean they have to record it live.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Always be chatting!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@fobwashed said:

@hailinel said:

@spiritof said:

No, I mean non-live recorded videos including trailers or dumptrucks or whatever would be played in a stream in Giantbomb.com/chat for anyone interested to go in and chat during the video/audio. Everything on the site would still work as is, just videos that aren't recorded live would play with chat available for people who want to watch it together.

For example, the Trials video goes up at 6:00 AM and the FTL vid goes up at 9:00 AM. Stream the Trials at 6 with chat and the FTL at 9 w/chat for people who want to watch the vid with an active chat room. Doesn't mean they have to record it live.

They're not going to have a large audience to chat for that 6:00AM stream. That's when I get out of bed to get ready for work. And of those that do watch it when it goes live, an even smaller portion would feel inclined to be part of the chat. Smaller still because they know it's not live and what's the point of joining a live chat for something that their reactions are unable to influence? I'm sure that some people would get some entertainment out of it, but I don't see it being a particularly worthwhile use of the Giant Bomb chat.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

@spiritof: Hoosier here ready to throw down.

The only thing Indiana has to offer the world is the Indianapolis Colts and cantaloupe. The general population hasn't even discovered fire yet.

It's scientific fact that Illinois is where the cool kids hang out.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There was one duder who made a little project that recorded everything said in the chat during the State of Decay stream, and then allowed you to playback the chat as you watched the archive. It was pretty sweet.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@fobwashed said:

@hailinel said:

@fobwashed said:

@hailinel said:

@spiritof said:

They're not going to have a large audience to chat for that 6:00AM stream. That's when I get out of bed to get ready for work. And of those that do watch it when it goes live, an even smaller portion would feel inclined to be part of the chat. Smaller still because they know it's not live and what's the point of joining a live chat for something that their reactions are unable to influence? I'm sure that some people would get some entertainment out of it, but I don't see it being a particularly worthwhile use of the Giant Bomb chat.

Yea, I get that not many ppl are gonna be chatting it up at 6AM but maybe they could stream it at more reasonable times where more people may be watching. It ain't live so it wouldn't matter when they decided to stream it anyway. Also, for the most part, 99% of what goes on in chat isn't really ever acknowledged by what's going on in the video. I also don't really get the final bit about it not being a worthwhile use of Giant Bomb chat since the alternative is it not being used at all. Anyway, I was just curious which is why this is a poll. I voted tralse so as to not effect the overall poll =]

TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheBluthCompany

@spiritof: We also have the Indy 500! Illinois has government corruption and the Cubs! There are generations of people from Illinois who have never seen their team win. Also, you guys don't have a cool nickname. Hoosiers> Illinoisians

On another note, are we known for cantaloupe? I had no idea.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By RonGalaxy

it wouldnt work much better than a comments section. It would just be a live comments section, which is pretty pointless. The reason chat works on live videos is because everyone is watching the same thing (which is obvious).

also, having a live chat on every single video on the site seems like a fucking server nightmare.

Unless you mean something like when they put a video up they run a chat room with the video playing. It wouldn't, technically, be live because they would be broadcasting a pre-recorded video, but it would function the same way. Still, it's probably best if chat is used only for live streams.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it wouldnt work much better than a comments section. It would just be a live comments section, which is pretty pointless. The reason chat works on live videos is because everyone is watching the same thing (which is obvious).

Right, which is why I'm saying it'd be streamed with chat. So everyone would be watching the same thing -_-;;

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

In my experience chat has been awful, so I'm good.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narujoe93 said:

Right, which is why I'm saying it'd be streamed with chat. So everyone would be watching the same thing -_-;;

It also helps that for live shows, the staff is able to read and respond to the chat as the event is taking place, which adds to the event. You don't get that by watching something prerecorded.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to be honest, except for being able to ask questions directly to the GB crew, i don't use chat. it seems like just a bunch of incessant unnecessary chatter that does not add to my video experience...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee
Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

giant bomb chat never works for me so no

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 FinalDasa  Moderator

It's a nice idea and I would definitely enjoy, and have enjoyed with the morning show and Patrick's daily streams, more time in the chat. Problem is moderating that chat. Rorie does a great job when he can get in the chat but having a mod around 24/7 is a tough task on occasion. Also I think it would present a server and bandwidth issue maybe?

Maybe for subscribers only there could be a chat for this occasion?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Milkman

Considering how often chat does down already, having to maintain it even more seems like a bad idea.

Also, though it depends on the video, I've found that I enjoy most GB videos a lot more without the chat. Especially Quick Looks. The chat would be a non-stop barrage of "BRAD IS TERRIBLE AT THIS" and "THE TEXT IS ON THE SCREEN." A non-stop scrolling mess of negativity doesn't seem like something I need for every video.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By turboman

I was thinking a while ago "What if there was a 24/7 Giant Bomb Network similar to the WWE Network? How would it be programmed? What would be on it? Would it make sense if they could get an app onto PS4/XBONE like IGN has?"

Maybe it wouldn't make sense to have that running with the chat constantly because it takes away from the specialness of the chat during live shows?

If you look at stuff like taima.tv and how the wrestling channel on there is programmed, it's definitely possible with a group of people. But the other big question would be whether or not there would be an audience big enough for it to exist?

--

EDIT: I seemed to have completely misread the question

Most of the videos are put up in the early hours of the morning, which would be way too early for the staff to wake up for and create a chatroom / start the stream.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShaggE

The biggest issue is that chat breaks constantly already, so it'd be a ton of extra work for the Top Men.

Really, you could just simulate the chat experience at home by having somebody occasionally yell things in your ear like "WHAT IS THIS GAME", "UGH PLAY SOMETHING ELSE", "WHEN DID THIS START", BRAD IS BRAD AT GAMES", "<><>:VINNY:<><>", "PLAY GANG BEASTS", and so on.

Edit: Not saying that "PLAY GANG BEASTS" is in any way a bad request to make.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By geirr

Personally, while I hardly ever use chat during live shows since I like to focus on the main duders, I think a chat should be up always with random Giantbomb videos playing. Perhaps there could be a random pull of 5 videos while one is playing which the chat people could vote on.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I watch live the chat moves too fast to follow so I usually ignore it. Polls are fun, but not a draw on their own. Archives for me.

Not to mention the technical and scheduling challenges behind live streaming every quick look and feature in addition to the regular live shows.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't watch many streams, Giant Bomb or otherwise, but when I do the chat is mostly just a barrage of recycled jokes and shitty memes. What do people get out of it?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

If there's an easy way for them to set it up/automate it for those 6AM videos, I don't see what it could hurt.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That could be kinda fun, I wouldn't get to do much because the time zones don't line up, but I think it'd be a nice little feature. That being said, if it was difficult to moderate or firing up the chat takes too much effort, that'd make sense.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chat should just be up 24/7, streaming videos or not. I've been clamoring for the use of a Web based IRC client for a long time now, where we could keep a constant chat room open and offset the constant technical issues chat has been having lately, regardless. Doesn't matter if there's 2 or 2,000 people using it at a time, it'd just work better.

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By MaxOpower

@dudeglove: Was just about to say so. I love a good chat. I had some great times over the weekend in the PAX chat. It wasn't too crowded like the regular streams, but at the same time there was always something going on. I would love a good endless stream with chat.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think a cooler thing would be if the chat was displayed when you watched an archive (like many twitch streamers who actively interact with the chat do). It makes archives infinitely more rewatchable; you don't feel like you're missing anything, because, even though you're not typing, you're still reacting right along with the chat.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Who wouldn't love some hot trailer chat?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you know what kind of madness you ask for?! Untapped veins of hell called forth through your the decrepit frequency of refresh rates. Thousands of untamable tralsers frueing about recklessly at every trailer and quick look until the angles make little sense and the hypercube's shape is made clear in your third eye, itchy and watery. A constant stream of insanity and beautiful rank fragrance wrested upon the neck of lucho libre deers, piercing the viels of the cosmos with their antlers sprouting like racing water droplets trickling across the night sky, shimmering on the domain of some great entity. Coursing and bubbling through your ethernet cording, a frigid crusade against the wire and carpet and tile and wall, dripping with decay. A sentient cut slab of space, waiting of an amassing of duders complaining and smiting and howling upon their solid states. The end of all things, the beginning of the cold sweat death of the conscience, stretching and heating until the skin boils a liquid and the bone sizzles and cracks, splintered into oblivion. The weight of existence overbearing, foreboding of their coming. This my friend is the madness you seek. A madness no being should shat upon reality.

But chat's usually fun to goof around in, so could be cool. A daily stream of that days new content with weekends playing all of the past week's content would be cool, but only as long as it's easy to set up and manage and if it's not too much of a waste of resources. Something about it feels real lazy, but I guess it wouldn't be about catching up on content, it'd be about watching the content with other people. Can't help but feel some of the magic would be lost by it not being live though.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By forteexe21

I actually thought having chat when the video content (quick looks, unfinished, etc) first come out is a great idea but i think the time it takes to set up chat will be a nightmare for the engineers.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Chat's not that important aside from getting direct interaction with the staff, so no I don't think just streaming videos would add anything of value.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiritof said:
@thebluthcompany said:

The only thing Indiana has to offer the world is the Indianapolis Colts and cantaloupe. The general population hasn't even discovered fire yet.

I think we can all agree the real problem is Kentucky.

TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endoworks: I mean, Illinois is terrible, but is Kentucky even a state?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#41  Edited By pyromagnestir

I vote yes, because I imagine they'd need to add some more mods if that happened. And if that's what it takes for them to consider inviting me to be a mod and thus allow me to seize control of this website, then sure! Let's do it!

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

The biggest issue is that chat breaks constantly already, so it'd be a ton of extra work for the Top Men.

Really, you could just simulate the chat experience at home by having somebody occasionally yell things in your ear like "WHAT IS THIS GAME", "UGH PLAY SOMETHING ELSE", "WHEN DID THIS START", BRAD IS BRAD AT GAMES", "<><>:VINNY:<><>", "PLAY GANG BEASTS", and so on.

Edit: Not saying that "PLAY GANG BEASTS" is in any way a bad request to make.

I'd imagine since there wouldn't be live players on the other end, a lot of the chat comments directed at telling them what to do or what game to play would no longer exist. But yea, the extra work for Top Men would be a drag. Though, if chat works as intended, they prolly wouldn't need to be around to fix it during these streams =P

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By reisz

I had fully intended to answer this poll relevantly and then noticed the one true response; "Tralse".

Chat's success relies on the community I reckon. Twitch people in every streamed video? No thanks. You guys? Every time.

So sure, why not?

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Watching archived streams without chat is strange, I miss reacting to the silly stuff that happens and to see the reaction of everyone else.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BBAlpert

It works for VGCW because rasslin' is supposed to be able mindless, incoherent screaming. It works decently for things like SuperGreatFriend's weekly StreamFriend show because it's a smaller group of people (although it still degenerates into bickering from time to time as chats inevitably do). It would not work for Giant Bomb streams because the audience is too big.

*edit: Not that I don't think most of you duders are great, it's just that far too many stream chats end up being complaints either about what game is being played or who's playing it.

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

@shagge: But that's only true in the big regular streams. The smaller streams are mush more comprehensive, and they rarely break.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will admit I wish I could even see the archive of the stream while watching just to see the community response but that would probably be hard to handle.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By Dalai

Perhaps the best solution would be to play classic Giant Bomb videos in chat in between the traditional live streams like UPF. Or that's the worst solution, maybe? Having a 24/7 chat with random GB content would be interesting.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought the solution to this request would be a community-run unofficial chat where people can idle, talk about videos or podcasts that just went up, stuff on twitter, etc. The problem is it would probably only work on a smaller scale until the point it becomes large enough to attract a bad element. I've checked the IRC at explosiveruns off and on since the Extra Life thing but it never seemed active. (I wish more people streamed on there too.) For all I know, there is a secret chat somewhere and I'm just not in the know.

Also there was some of that going on in the GB Diablo 3 clans when everyone was playing the expansion, and that was kind of cool.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@spiritof said:
@thebluthcompany said:

I think we can all agree the real problem is Kentucky.

I'm from New York but went to school at IU, so I'm on board with refocusing America's attention on Kentucky.